Games that you ALMOST beat!

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trent44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 trent44
Member since 2008 • 255 Posts

What games were they, and what held you back from seeing those end credits?

Jet Force Gemini - I fought the last boss dozens of times, but I usually ran out of bullets (except the pistol obviously) and would die.

Final Fantasy VIII - I almost got to the fourth disc, but I already had alot of the best gear and stats with almost zero grind. The game was too easy at that point and the story wasn't enough for me to muster through another 15+ hours.

Armored Core 2 - Not actually sure how far I was in the game, but I had beaten all 50 Arena Challenges and had what I thought was the best gear at that point in the game. But the missions would drag on and I was depleating all my saved up cash on non-energy weapon ammo. I tried to do energy weapons only, but that ended up being a long frustrating dance of overheating and running in circles.

There are other games that I was close to beating and simply shelved, because I got a shiny new game and still haven't bothered to come back to (but I do intend to... if I can remember what games those were... :P ).

So, what are some games you ALMOST beat?

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Resident Evil 5. On the part when you're fighting Wesker in the lava area, ran outta bullets, using the dagger on him was near impossible, so I gave up. That fight dragged on for so long with no bullets. Oh well, one day...

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Final Fantasy IX and XII.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Star Wars The Force Unleashed. I was so damned bored with it by the time I got to that last boss fight I just said screw it :lol:

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

The only final fantasy I could beat was 12.

So pretty much every other final fantasy game.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Lost Planet

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Bayonetts

-I almost stopped at that rocket part which was just stupid, but I actually did stop at that turret section shortly after which is also stupid.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
PoP 3, rival sword or whatever it was called. just sick of dying on the boss fight for like 3 hours that i gave up and never played game again. maybe ill go and finish it just to say i did.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

a lot, i have a backlog of games. but the last 2 i can think of is killzone 2 and final fantasy 13.

i bought a new ps3 and sold my old one so i couldnt transfer the data. when i tried playing it again, the aiming made me dizzy

final fantasy 13, i got stuck in gran pulse...couldnt figure out what to do

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Blue Dragon.

I got to the end boss and lost. I hated the game so I stopped playing.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Trials HD. I made it to the 2nd of the 'Extreme' levels, but I just could'nt after that. The game is still fun, but I just lack the controller competence to make it through those last levels. After hours of failing, I just stopped trying and started playing the minigames instead.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Grand Theft Auto IV.

Got to the end, but never got around to beating the game.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#13 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Resident Evil 5. On the part when you're fighting Wesker in the lava area, ran outta bullets, using the dagger on him was near impossible, so I gave up. That fight dragged on for so long with no bullets. Oh well, one day...

cyborg100000

Beating Wesker with the knife is just a pattern. Learn his few moves, stab, run away, stab, and then it gives you the option for a QTE. Rinse, repeat. I think it's actually easier with the knife. Also, don't forget at the very beginning of the fight to turn around, there's ammo by the wreck that most people miss.

Avatar image for TomatoDragonPSN
TomatoDragonPSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TomatoDragonPSN
Member since 2012 • 535 Posts
I did beat Vanquish, and the only thing I have left to beat is the last challenge map. So friggin' hard.
Melkari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Melkari
Member since 2004 • 595 Posts

Star Ocean 3. I was in the final dungeon, which has save points that are stupidly far apart and machine gunner soldiers can chain juggle you until death. Died after like 40 minutes without a save point, got mad, stopped for awhile. About a month later my PS3 died and took my save file with it, so...there went that.

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

Final Fantasy X. I got to the final boss, couldn't beat his final form and had absolutely no interest in leveling up so I just quit and watched the ending online. I didn't think it was a terribly good game in the first place, so it wasn't much of a loss.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Hokuto No Ken - Ken's Rage (360) I made it to Sautzer and kept trying to beat him for a couple hours before casting the game in the fire of Mouth Doom.

Final Fantasy VIII (PS1) I got to the bit near the end where a boss is holding a character captive and I was never able to beat it and there was no way to grind for levels or go back to the world. Stuck. Cast the game into the fire.

Condemned (360) I made it to the very end, but the game glitched out on me, some planks blocking my way in an attic wouldn't disappear, impeding progress. Game over.

Mafia (PC) 10 years ago I could never beat the final level, no matter how hard I tried I kept dying at the very end.

Castleville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Castleville
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
the games that i have almost beat in quests is castleville game quests love the game, i love all the games that have quests and when i can i always give hints tips and cheats castleville game quests Castleville game quests, energy, Guide, cheats hints and tips http://castlevillegamequests.com
enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

Devil Summoner: Raidou Vs. Soulless Army - It was all a great game, but in the last dungeon, I just lost interest.

Super Mario Galaxy - In the last stages of stars, again lost interest to finishing it.

Shadow of the Damned - Boredom came in.

mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#20 mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

batman arkham asylum. i got to joker and couldnt figure out how tofight him, i was continually fighting these grunts soi just gave up..

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Hokuto No Ken - Ken's Rage (360) I made it to Sautzer and kept trying to beat him for a couple hours before casting the game in the fire of Mouth Doom.

Black_Knight_00

Souther...I only died at him twice. But I kept at him until he was done. I made sure to upgrade Kenshiro's abilities as much as I could.

tobes1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tobes1993
Member since 2011 • 227 Posts
Deus ex HR - loved the game and got really near the end...but then skyrim was released. I'm sure i'll go back and finish it one day though. GTA IV - just ran so badly on my PC that i couldn't take it anymore Half Life 2 - got zero enjoyment out of it, simple as
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Ninja Gaiden 2 - I got to the final boss :'(

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

Final Fantasy 9. Got to the very final boss (Necro, I think it was called), got turned inside out and found the prospect of fighting my way back to him too disheartening, so I put it to one side. I was Final Fantasy-ed out at that point.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

FFX; the first time I played through I got to Braska's final aeon, died and never tried again. However, I do want to eventually beat FFX someday

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts
MGS4. I got to boss fight at the beginning of Act 5 but I got bored and stopped playing it.
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#27 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

The cell shaded Prince of Persia. I totally lost interest, one of the biggest upsets this gen for me. I recently bought it again for 8 bucks at EB to try again though..

TentacleMayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 TentacleMayor
Member since 2008 • 1469 Posts
Lost Odyssey started off strong and then just kept going downhill, way down. By the last disc, it was tedious, grindy and I couldn't care less about the story. I don't understand the players who say this is 'the real FF13'. Come to think of it, they both kind of declined, but 13 at least only starts to do so in the last third while still having good gameplay.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#29 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Final Fantasy VIII and Dead Space 2, which for some reason i never finished.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
Resident Evil 5. On the part when you're fighting Wesker in the lava area, ran outta bullets, using the dagger on him was near impossible, so I gave up. That fight dragged on for so long with no bullets. Oh well, one day...cyborg100000
Really? oh that's a shame :(. Why not look up the ending? :) This is an interesting thread! now let's see... Lost Planet: Extreme Condition. I never beat that last boss! I just couldn't do it... ah well, next time I will! in fact I may play it in the next few months, it's been so long. Splinter Cell's 1, Pandora Tomorrow AND Chaos Theory. That's right, I haven't completed any of the Splinter Cell games (including Double Agent, by the way, but I got nowhere near the end on that). Well, I did complete the PSP Essentials and Conviction... twice. These are games that I want to complete very soon though. Funny though, because these games are in my top 10 of all time. I can't recall any specific parts I got stuck on now, but they just got tough, and they were always really far in to the game. I tried so many times as well. I remember on the original it was around this snow level, maybe just after it actually. Stuntman - I'm not actually sure how far I got on this game, but I am going to put it anyway because I feel I got really far on it. There were some levels where, again, you are in the snow, which then changes to some desert-y place if I remember correctly. I think that's where I got stuck. I also got really far on Stuntman: Ignition, like RIGHT near the end, and I never finished it for some reason (however Ignition is a lot easier than the original). Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation. I say ALMOST beat... heh, that's the thing. This game is SO long that while I did SO much of it, there was still a fair amount left. But I am confident I did about 90% of the game (I also looked at the list of levels), a few times as well. The game just gets really tough, and the levels I always get stuck on aren't that good in my opinion :(. That's all I can think of at the minute, but I am sure there is more :P.
koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Heavenly Sword - I was busy completely wasting the last boss when he managed to kill me right at the very last minute, decided "to hell with that" and shoved the game in a dark corner, promising to myself that I'll finish it later.... that was two years ago and I still haven't picked it up again.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#32 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Turok - the entire experience was frustrating with very few checkpoints, and as I got close to the last section I just gave up because I wasn't enjoying it at all.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts

Turok - the entire experience was frustrating with very few checkpoints, and as I got close to the last section I just gave up because I wasn't enjoying it at all.

Venom_Raptor
Damn, completely forgot about Turok! I had a frustrating bug right near the end that rendered my character unmovable every time I reload a checkpoint and the only option I had was to start the whole damn level over again, ended up giving up on the game after hitting that checkpoint bug for the third time.
LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

I recently bought Kirby 3D classic off the eshop and never had played it in my NES days. It was suprisingly kinda tough for a platformer. Anyway, I still cant beat the final boss (That you have to fight in two or three forms with never getting your energy replinished). Might give him another go soon.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
Ffx made it end never finished boss. Will change with FFX HD on vita.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#36 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I almost beat the original Tomb Raider, but before I did, my PS got stolen with the game inside. I almost beat Star Ocean: Until the End of Time and Xenosaga II, but they got way too hard for me at the end.
Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ashley_wwe
I almost beat the original Tomb Raider, but before I did, my PS got stolen with the game inside. I almost beat Star Ocean: Until the End of Time and Xenosaga II, but they got way too hard for me at the end. JustPlainLucas
Ohh, that's horrible :(. It just makes me mad to think that people think it's okay to steal... but on a more lighter note, I grew up with TR and have been a fan ever since it came out. I have completed it many a time. I really recommend you pick the game up again :). The sequel is just as good, if not EVER so slightly better. The Last Revelation is pretty good too, but not quite as good as the original two.
V-Act

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 V-Act
Member since 2005 • 660 Posts

The expansion pack to AVP2, cus It sucked so hard. And I never finnished Sanitarium, but I will some day =) mark my words!

Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

The only three that I can think of are:

Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction - While the game was fun, it got repeptitive quickly and I eventually lost interest.

Killzone - Probably the most uninteresting game I played on the PS2. Tried getting through it twice and quit for another game each time.

Xenogears - The tone of the story was too depressing through the 30ish hours I played, and the combat was fairly simple and slow-paced.

esny240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 esny240
Member since 2006 • 44 Posts

Final Fantasy VII and Ocarina of Time from the Gamecube Collector's disc. In both cases my memory card save games corrupted and I couldn't be bothered to go back after sinking so much time. I mean I literally did everything in those game: I got all the skulltulas, the golden chocobo, final limit breaks. It kind of sucked.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

Splinter Cell's 1, Pandora Tomorrow AND Chaos Theory. That's right, I haven't completed any of the Splinter Cell games (including Double Agent, by the way, but I got nowhere near the end on that). Well, I did complete the PSP Essentials and Conviction... twice. These are games that I want to complete very soon though. Funny though, because these games are in my top 10 of all time. I can't recall any specific parts I got stuck on now, but they just got tough, and they were always really far in to the game. I tried so many times as well. I remember on the original it was around this snow level, maybe just after it actually.Ashley_wwe

They're all great games but if you haven't finished the originals but have finished Conviction twice . . . it goes to show how dumbed down Conviction really was. I remember i absolutely hated SC when it 1st released due to its high skill level, unforgiving difficulty & trial & error gameplay. Im glad i stuck with it though.

You should give them a shot again. It's very satisfying to finish those games. They still feel like an experience you can't find anywhere else.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

God Of War 3. I was never into the GOW series but after the constant praise & love the series gets i thought i would give it a shot.

I cant pinpoint my exact location but i played about 3/4 of the way through. Very close to the end the puzzles start to pick up & slow your progression to the end. I hated every minute of the game but i lost all patience at the end when i just wanted to finish it as fast as possible.

I now Hate GOW & Kratos. Just not my kind of game. Maybe the new Devil May Cry reboot will get me back into the beat em up genre.

jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 jubino
Member since 2005 • 6265 Posts

Too many games to name. Usually right before I beat one game I end up getting side-tracked with life and don't revisit it before another awesome game comes out.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts
I think the only game I gave up on because I couldn't beat it was Metroid Prime 1 final boss, like years ago, anything else I've given up on since has been out of pure bordome.
cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

FFXIII, FFXII, Skyrim, Lost Odyssey, GOW3. Just kind of lost interest.

sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

Alpha Protocal

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ashley_wwe
They're all great games but if you haven't finished the originals but have finished Conviction twice . . . it goes to show how dumbed down Conviction really was. I remember i absolutely hated SC when it 1st released due to its high skill level, unforgiving difficulty & trial & error gameplay. Im glad i stuck with it though.brucecambell
Absolutely! in fact, the first time I completed Conviction was pretty easy, but the most challenging of the two (which is obvious), but I was actually rushing through the game at points to get achievements afterwards... something which should be impossible on SC games. But yeah, last year when I re-completed Conviction it took me maybe 2 days (not two full days, of course :P) to finish it. Don't get me wrong I think it's fantastic, but as you say, it has been kinda dumbed down from the others. The Deniable Ops modes are REALLY fun though! the story is still fun too, but really easy (although the last mission can get kinda tough. But I felt that was more on the lines of action game tough than Splinter Cell tough. I will definately go through the old ones one day to the end... been thinking about it very soon, actually. I actually wish they would re-release the HD Collection for the Xbox 360. I mean of course I'm happy with the PS2 versions, but I would buy the HD Collection if it was available to me. Splinter Cell 1 was fantastic, it starts getting really tough around the snow level if I remember correctly. Pandora Tomorrow is equally as awesome... may actually be my favourite? although can't actually remember where I got stuck, but it was far in the game. Chaos Theory felt kinda short in comparison, no? but again, I forget where I got stuck Funny though, because I still spent a lot of time playing these games and consider them some of my favourite games! :P Double Agent I'm still unsure of. I hardly got anywhere on it though, just so tough and also... unsure of it. I'm also not really a fan of "well, you can finish it this way, but also this way". I don't really like missing objectives too much, do you know what I mean? going to complete it though at some point, but definately not until after the original 3. When I next get a free slot of games, maybe that's when I should complete it. Next week Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City comes out, so it not be for a few weeks at least. Then I am considering getting the Silent Hill HD Collection, but I need to play the original first... but we'll see. I really, really want to finish all the SC games and get "up to date" with them so to speak.
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#48 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Persona 3, Persona 4. Never quite beat them :(

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Torchlight. The endboss was just too unreasonably beefed up, especially considering the amount of time I had put into leveling my character to get there. After it became obvious for a couple hours that I could not defeat the boss unless I put a bunch more hours into the game leveling up more in side missions, I was never going to beat it. So I said screw it.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#50 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks. The final bss was absurdly cheap, and I decided it just wasn't worth it.