Games priced more cheaply as compensation for xbox blocking used ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
So i've heard the next xbox is going to block used games. However as a result they could very well have decreased prices. Like $40 or $50 for new games. What price would it have to be for you to get the system ?
soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

I'm buying a ps4 and a 720 anyway

thekingofirony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thekingofirony
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

If the price of games went down,I'd consider it.But without the games I'm not interested.Killer Instinct 3 or a good new ip would be a reason for me to buy the next  xbox.

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
It all depends if XBLA still charges for use.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dkdk999
Hmm I also just thought maybe you could play games at your friends house if you signed into your account on the other person's xbox. Regardless they have got some explaining to do and had better compensate you in some fantastic ways to make that worth it.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts
I'm planning on buying one anyway but I certainly wouldn't frown on cheaper games. :P
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm buying a Xbox 720

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

So i've heard the next xbox is going to block used games. However as a result they could very well have decreased prices. Like $40 or $50 for new games. What price would it have to be for you to get the system ?dkdk999

I haven't heard anything to that effect, but it would be a clever gambit which would extinguish much of the opposition, though I can't imagine games selling for less than $50.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#9 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

The main reason for me to purchase any console platform is to play a decent lineup of games - so if there are no games (or just a couple of games) that appeal to me, I wouldn't get that particular console.  Don't get me wrong - lower cost games would be appreciated, but it's pointless if I'd never buy those games in the first place.

-Wicked_Sick-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Wicked_Sick-
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
I don't plan on buying one if they block used games.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Blocking used games? I'm out.

Cheaper games? I get those already brand new as well. It's called wait for them to go on sale. I get the best of both worlds, I can play used games and buy them cheap if need be. I do buy most of my games new, but it's about the princible. Taking away consumer rights with almost no benefit? I won't spend my money that way.

I look at my long list of DD games on PC ranging from Blizzard to hundreds of Steam games to Origin to GOG, etc.

I can't sell any of them. It sucks. I would hate to look back at 5 years of 720 gaming and seeing some stinkers I bought that I regret. I think anyone with at least Steam history can relate to having paid for stinkers and regretting it. The worse part is that you can delete it, but you can't sell it.

Retail games? Yeah, they go up in value sometimes, and you can certainly trade them with friends or sell them.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#12 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I'd be more tempted to get one if the game prices were 30 dollars, but I still don't like the fact that I won't be owning what I buy, no matter the cost. Part of ownership is to sell it or even give it away when I'm done with it.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#13 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Used games or constant internet connection means no buy for me so I hope they don't do either.
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

At this point I have no plans on getting the next xbox whether they block used games or not. Not as long as Xbox Live Gold remains as big a ripoff as it currently is. But honestly, if no used games meant new games were £10 or £20 cheaper, I'd definitely consider it.

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

They wouldn't lower prices, they'd be more likely to increase them, why? First off it's microsoft, they over charge for everything. Second, if you own an Xbox you've got no choice but to buy new. They'd be able to charge whatever they wish and if anything, it wouldn't be lower than what it is. 

OneInchMan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OneInchMan99
Member since 2012 • 1248 Posts

They could make all their games free,I still would'nt be interested in a M$ console.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#17 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I would not by a used game blocking system, so buying the games is out of the question.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I don't think I would buy the 720 even if they didn't block used games. I've bought both the XBOX & 360, and at the end of every generation I get the least amount of use out of them. The reason I bought the 360 was due to their console exclusives that the PS3 didn't have early in the generation (BioShock, Eternal Sonata, Mass Effect, Beautiful Katamari, etc.), but all those games lost their console exclusivity later in the generation. So now that Sony & Microsoft both are on fairly equal playing fields in terms of multiplats; I choose based off of which has the best/most exclusives, and for me that goes to Sony who has a plethora of exclusives from all genres while Microsoft relies too heavily on Gears, Halo, Forza, and Fable - to a lesser extent.

However, that being said even though I prefer Sony consoles, I wouldn't buy the PS4 if it blocked used games.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I doubt the rumor is even true. People were saying the same thing about PS4 before it was revealed and that turned out to be false. I never really believed the rumors about PS4 either actually.

But if it is true... Well it's hard to say if I will buy it or not. It depends on how they do it. If it's connected to account, and not system, then I don't think it will be a big deal to me. If it's system, then I don't think I'll be buying.

Cheaper games will definitly help a lot too :P

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I'm buying a ps4 and a 720 anyway

soapman72

Dude you could get a Alienware instead with that money. 

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#21 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Dude you could get a Alienware instead with that money. slipknot0129

You might as well build your own rig instead, then.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#22 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

i do not think at all that is likely, but i can see i mean i guess it might not be out of the realm of possiblity. To offset the complaints about no used games. 

but we'll see, at the moment i'm still in for PS4 for sure at least. 

can't wait to see E3.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Right now I have no intention of buying either console (PS4, Nextbox) if it blocks used games. I like the ability to rent or borrow games to try out questionable ones. I also like the ability to sell off my stinker games.

MAS_100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MAS_100
Member since 2012 • 77 Posts

Microsoft need new exclusives and a true justification as to why consumers should buy their console over the Playstation 4. If they come out saying that used games will be blocked and the console will require a constant internet connection as rumours suggest, well then I don't think any lowered price on games should make a difference on the consumer's choice. Sony have made a massive point that Playstation 4 will be much easier for developers to develop games for, which wasn't the case this gen and for that reason particular games worked better on the 360. That doesn;t seem the case next gen and therefore Microsoft will also have lost that advantage. Next Gen looks to be Sony's already. Just have to wait for Microsoft to reveal the Next Xbox to see if it really is.

MAS_100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MAS_100
Member since 2012 • 77 Posts

Right now I have no intention of buying either console (PS4, Nextbox) if it blocks used games. I like the ability to rent or borrow games to try out questionable ones. I also like the ability to sell off my stinker games.

coasterguy65

Sony confirmed Playstation 4 won't block used games.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts
I'm wait to see if Microsoft going to blocked use games on their next xbox? and we know Sony not doing it so there a good chance Microsoft won't follow through blocking used games on the next consoles IMO
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#27 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
depends on what they show, if MS just shows me an entertainment hub instead of a gaming console then i am not getting it
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

MAS_100

They said it was up to the developer which means that some games could be blocked.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts
[QUOTE="MAS_100"]

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

Minishdriveby

They said it was up to the developer which means that some games could be blocked.

true, but i think it was a smart move on Sony's part. they're just playing facilitator. Given tthat they have two primary interest groups on them, the developers and the gamers. So instead of them making the decision, they passed the buck for any developer who has the gall to do it. touche I think.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i'm going to buy the next xbox console unless it doesn't have exclusive games....

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#31 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Even if it blocks used games or not I don't plan to buy the nextBox.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#32 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
If Microsoft wants to block used games, use CD-keys and tie it to one account, or go completely digital.
Empty_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Empty_World
Member since 2007 • 272 Posts
I doubt the games will be cheaper since the development cost will not decrease. If anything it will increase over time.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dkdk999
Hmm so it appears most people would buy it, but not if it blocks used games and don't really care that much if the price is lowered as compensation. A little surprised because I most people can't buy their games used, and it's not like the average person ends up selling most of their games. To me selling games at $30 seems like a good trade off.
Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

After Sony announcing that they won't block used games I think Microsoft might change their minds about that decision. It would be pretty stupid if I can't borrow games from friends at the very least.