TheDbl7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheDbl7
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts

'Destiny' reached over $500 million in sales within it's first 24 hours and has over 3 million people playing daily. Despite these impressive figures it has still sparked up a debate within the gaming community. Is gameplay more important that story? While 'Destiny' has undoubtedly great gameplay it's story is virtually non-existent which isn't something you'd expect of a triple A title, especially coming from Bungie who gave us a bountiful well rounded universe in the form of the Halo series. Instead 'Destiny' players were left knowing little to nothing about the lore of the world around them as they grind out levels due to excuses from characters such as: " I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain". Leaving 'Destiny' aside I pondered why story and gameplay, respectively, are important.

Personally I've always been a sucker for a good story, hence why 'The Walking Dead' is my favourite game, while titles that fail to grasp me, like 'Destiny', often end up being left uncompleted at the bottom of my shelf. But what is it about story that makes gamers like myself so compelled and motivated to push onwards? Telltale answer this very well, as seen in 'The Walking' season 1 & 2 as well as in 'The Wolf Among Us', players are presented with a beautiful story that changes depending on what you do or do not choose to do. On top of this there are several big, plot twisting, gut wrenching choices to make where either outcome could spell disaster for the characters. Telltale titles have received a plethora of awards with each episodic series being re-released on disc as well as being moved up to the current gen. All of this with no more gameplay than an old school point-and-click adventure game. Yes there are quick time events scattered here and there but can this really be called gameplay? I for one say yes it is gameplay but in one of it's most basic forms.

Gameplay focused titles are by far the biggest selling on the market, it cannot be argued, this is due to the majority of the games being easily accessible to casual as well as hardcore gamers. Games such ad Call Of Duty, Fifa, Madden and of course Destiny. One thing all of these have in common is a huge online community. The story isn't important to these games or even the people who regularly play them as here it is about a sense of community and camaraderie when gunning down the opposing team or scoring a last minute penalty. It seems like replayability is a focus with these particular online games. I would argue that The Walking Dead too has this factor but not so much so the titles I've previously mentioned. Shadow of Mordor is also a great example of how gameplay takes focus but outside of an online arena. While LOTR fans will enjoy the story it's just as easy to skip every cutscene and still have a good time cutting down hoards of Uruk.

There is one group of games I haven't spoken about and that is the games that weave gameplay and story superbly into an experience which everybody can enjoy. It shouldn't be hard to think of them but in case it is I mean games like GTA V, Dragon Age, The Last Of Us and so on. These games, and more, encapsulate a great story that grasps people and makes them care and places it alongside a system that delivers amazing gameplay. You'll notice that most of the games that fall into this genre, bar The Last Of Us, are either open world sandbox or RPGs and I for one enjoy playing and replaying these games more than anything else. It's where I have clocked the most hours, in worlds like Oblivion, Los Santos, The Capital Wasteland and more.

Of course it's all about preference when choosing what is important to you in a game. But it seems that story heavy games are more engaging and gameplay heavy games offer countless replayablity. It's when the two come together however that you can enjoy both.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#1 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I prefer if a game delivers on both gameplay and story

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

I love a good story in my games but I can still enjoy a game where the story falls flat like Destiny. Naturally it's much better when both are great.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

SOUND DESIGN !

BronxBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BronxBomber
Member since 2003 • 13398 Posts

Gameplay over story. I grew up playing old school platform games that had zero story. But great gameplay carried the day.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

The whole is greater than the sum of it parts. It is that game play affect the final game more.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Destiny is Halo improved for Playstation so of course it has some people playing.

But it still doesn't change that it lacks direction and you need to be a major fan of FPS to truly enjoy it.

Which is also part of the reason I as someone who value story far more than gameplay, dislike the games like Destiny. Because Story is worth more than gameplay, i dont game that often and when i do i want it to be a experience and also something that doesn't just stay with you the few moments you actually play it.

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

it use to be about the story for me, but now its all about the gameplay. on an unrelated note i will never know how Destiny had that many sales.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JyePhye
Member since 2004 • 6173 Posts

The perfect combination of both. ;)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu

@watchdogsrules

Hype.... They marketed the living crap out of it.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

I switch it up a little when it comes to games, when i bough Destiny i knew what i was getting into so it didn't really bother with the story that much. Destiny is all about gameplay the atmosphere and the online aspect of it and i think they did a good job on that. From my point of view the best games out there has a little bit of everything, Great gameplay, great story, great graphics, great voice acting etc.. But sometimes, actually alot of times you have to take the games just for what they are.

Tekken for instance and alot of other fighters it's all about the gameplay and they focus pretty much only on that and im fine with that even though it would be great to see a good story in a tekken game for once. Other games like Heavy Rain heavily focuses on storytelling, graphics, voice acting i would say and that's a good thing as well. We need different genres in the gaming media, different types of game to play or else it would be really boring to be a gamer. My tip is take the games for what they are and look for the positive things in those games and don't get to cought up in the negative ones. We can't expect masterpieces every month a new game is released not even every year or every 5th year for that matter.

Game on!

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: and people still keep playing Destiny after all is said and done. It's a great shooter that is only beginning and will be built upon for 10 years. Sadly, too many gamers are impatient and entitled and want everything handed to them now now now.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Two words: SKINNER BOX !

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#14 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@mastermetal777

Two words: SKINNER BOX !

That is alarmingly true in case of Destiny

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu

@SovietsUnited

Its not a bad thing in Desiny's case because they're not using the Subscription Payment Model or Free To Play, so the developers aren't going to be as Fixated on keeping players hooked in the most extreme ways, so extreme that it borders on the unethical. Thats always been the problem with MMOs.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: I play for the camaraderie of being with my clanmates. I already have high level gear that I got very early on. Now I just shoot things for the hell of it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu

Plus its not everyday an MMO gets gameplay this good. :)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

I wonder if B.F. Skinner considered how a multiple subjects would change the dynamic of a Skinner Box. Or any form of Conditioning for that... It might explain Borderlands.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Both are important of course, but in saying that, all of my favourite games have great stories... so a good story in a game is pretty important to me.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Gameplay. Always gameplay. Story is almost never important for a game. Video games are about participation and that participation is translated through gameplay. It's the aspect that makes this medium unique.

Gameplay> visuals> Music/sound> Story IMHO

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu

@Pikminmaniac

True... But story is important for the GameR...... But thats only because at some point during this industry's rise to popularity non-gamers became interested in games..... Was it because of gameplay or any form of interaction.... I highly doubt it and yet at the same time, the so called "Casuals", people who don't play games often are the ones who play still play games for the gameplay, shockingly enough. Yes its dumb, cheap, Shallow, simple gameplay but gameplay non-the-less. As much as it would please many people, casuals are not the reason we have so many games where control is taken away from the player, they are smart enough to go to a movie theatre for that.

I think this emphasis of Story over Gameplay comes from within the gaming communities, from the people who are very familiar with Pong and Tetris. And I have a thoery why... But its not yet crazy enough to be revealed for public consumption.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: Why not just reveal your theory so there can be discussion? It's not like it's scientific research, something you never seem to do. Story has existed in games since the 80s, when gaming became as big as it is. and nothing's gonna keep devs from evolving their techniques on delivering those stories within games, without having to sacrifice the pure gameplay type of games. They can coexist, but you seem to be averse to that.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

I'm only averse to your version of evolution because you abide Cutscenes and taking control away from the player... I'm only averse to Story "Telling" not Story in general. As for my theory you would probably misunderstand that too.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: I've never had a problem with cutscenes. I like having a break in between gameplay that doesn't rely on simply pausing the game, which is a good way to break the flow of gameplay. Taking control away from the player is done well when its in context, something you can't seem to grasp because you'd rather everything being upfront smacking you in the face instead of figuring things out for yourself.

And whatever I say isn't any different than you misunderstanding everything that's not your opinion, which for some reason, again, you can't even say that everything you're saying is an opinion. I'm not shy about saying everything is only my opinion. If people agree with me, great. If not, I'm not gonna get whiny and bitchy just because nobody's conforming to my personal thoughts about a medium I've grown up with since I was 4. The only reason I even "debate" with you is because you get too personal with it for some odd reason. You'd rather people just agree with you, and when people don't, you resort to being a misinformed elitist who never backs up their opinion with facts.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Taking a control away is taking control, just because you get tired doesn't mean its a good thing (to you perhaps but not to the medium, a distinction you still don't grasp)... You don't see movies turning the screen black if you get tired of watching or music going all quite if you get tired of listening or blank pages if you get tired of reading.... They trust the audience to do the right thing and leave, let the people who fully apreciate the medium to continue enjoying what makes it unique.

This medium is about interaction... FACT ! Anything that isn't interactive is not contributing to this medium (regardless of how much it contributes to your personal experience)... FACT !

Its really that simple, no matter how many cutscenes they are or how many people like them, those two statements up there are solid Axiomatic Facts, your entitled to your oppinion, no matter how redundant it makes this medium. Your problem is you believe your oppinions are at the centre of what defines this medium so much so that you take facts as other oppinions. Did it ever occur to you what contributes to the experience and what contributes to the medium are two entirely seperate things ? If you did we wouldn't be here.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

@JyePhye said:

The perfect combination of both. ;)

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: This medium is entirely based on experience. Interactive, sure, but I'm of the opinion that if developers want to combine what makes other mediums great into video games, let them. I find many cutscenes in GOOD games don't take away, but rather enhance the overall experience. At least in my opinion. I'm always engaged if its a good game, whether I'm watching a cutscene setting up my next objective or actually completing said objective. I don't mind have a little break in between the gameplay because after a while it starts to get tedious if played too long. This is a problem every single game has, and anything that breaks things up and offers something different is a good thing. It's called having good pacing, something that many fully interactive games have a poor grasp of, with a few exceptions here and there (BioShock, Portal, System Shock 2, just to name a few). Games need to pace themselves better, and breaking up the action with slower moments is always a good thing in my book. If I want non-stop action, I'd play multiplayer games and/or a hack-n-slash game like Dynasty Warriors. Or hell, I'd watch a mindless action film. I want my games to be able to tell a well-paced story with gameplay that matches that pacing, and I've found many games that do that. However, if I list them here to you, you'll find some excuse to call bullshit, when all you need to acknowledge is "well that's your opinion and I can respect that. Here's where I disagree". Somehow I don't see that happening with you any time soon.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

It depends on the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Addictive gameplay trumps all.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Theres nothing wrong with games takings from other mediums and making the necessary alterations for them to fit in this medium.... Unfortunately thats not the case.... They take things as they are and cram them in with little to no consideration for interactive.... All because MasterMetal and the Cutscene Gang like it that way. More important theres about 50 million ways to break up the core gameplay, Cutscenes are just the laziest least imaginative one for this medium.... I'm sure you've seen the "Differences in Kind" episode.... They'l back up my claim....

It appears you just glossed over the whole point... Your Experience =/= The Medium.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: You're missing the point that games can be whatever they want. I'm sure you've seen the "What is a game?" episode? They'll back up what I've been trying to say.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

As fun as Destiny is, to me personally it still missed the mark in so many areas. My feeling the reason for this is more so on Activision than Bungie, but that is neither here nor there. The game that Destiny is trying to be relies on a story. You can't have a game such as this with so many different aspects and elements with absolutely zero narrative on what hell is going on. To answer your overall question, I guess it depends on the game. There are some games that don't necessarily need a story, but I think with the direction and expectations of games now in days, they both need to balance each other out.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

They also said the term "Game" should be retired in favour of "Interactive Experience".... Remember... I told you numerous times about this... You insist on keeping that specific term when its no longer applicable.... Why ?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: they never said to retire the term. They just prefer not to use it in order to avoid arguments. It's still valid to use the term cuz James still says games in his recommendation videos

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Semantics.... And you can see how right they were, if call Heavy Rain a game then you're just begging for an Argument.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: they've called Heavy Rain a game before. So it's interchangeable. Besides, their main focus wasn't the definition. It was about getting rid of the question "what is a game?" It goes nowhere cuz it all boils down to opinion and whether or not you like something or not. From both sides. I'm of the opinion that if you like it, why should you care what others think? And yet here you are, trying to force people how to think about video games.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

They had to call it something...and stay on target, calling it what it really is would've derailed the discussion and caused alot of unnecessary confusion... Sometimes I call heavy rain a game... But If I have moment then I'l call it "game" just emphasize without derailing anything.

And you clearly need to jump out of your own bent view of this medium so the facts can sink in.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

For the most part I don't care too much about story. But then again I really enjoyed for example Syberia and the only thing that game has going for it is the story (pretty much). Other game I enjoyed despite mediocre gameplay are The Witcher 2 and Mass Effect 1 etc. So yeah it depends on the game pretty much.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: and you need to get out of your warped mindset that you're always right and that nothing you say could possibly be, oh I don't know....an opinion? :0

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Right... games not being interactive is an oppinion... Oh why stop there... Water being wet is an oppinion....

You use the same cop-out everytime.... I assume its because your incapable of logic.... Look I don't insulting people but if you don't want to have rational discussion about this then theres nothing I can do.... An intellectual discussion requires +2 two people. or is that another oppinion.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: I'm not questioning the interactive nature of games. I'm saying there are different types of interaction with games. You just refuse to see them or accept them. That's fine. But you have to accept that it's there are people who see thungs differently than you. Interaction will always be present in a game. How much interaction depends on the game. That's always been a fact. Don't like it? Find another game.

And another thing: your condescending tone is getting irritating. Let people enjoy what they want without you having to give your misguided input. This crusade of yours is nothing more than a butthurt ranting about how "ohhh games are changing in a way I don't like. It MUST be MY way only or else it's terrible." That's all you and your pointless drivel boil down to.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

And yet you still think Cutscenes are part of gaming... You own logic is flawed... Admit it... You don't like this medium as much As you claim you do if you keep wanting to change into something its not... Something that already exists.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#43 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Gameplay.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: I love gaming more than you could imagine. I'm just a realist. I only want more unique experiences. However they come about, as long ss I can keep control with either a keyboard or a controller, I couldn't care less how it evolves. As long as fun games remain fun and new types of games come about that challenge common perceptions of what a game is "supposed" to be, I'll remain a happy man. Meanwhile, I'll keep laughing at people like you who are still stuck in the old school mentality that games must never do anything daring.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Right... Cutscenes are so daring.... I imagine you swooned at the Quantum Break reveal.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: think whatever you want. You're just a sad person behind a keyboard with no accountability

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Keypad.... I'm on my phone, Bright Spark.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: Semantics. Does it matter? You're hiding behind the forum. I, on the other hand, have nothing to hide. I'm not ashamed of my games. They're public on my profile for anyone to see. Meanwhile, yours remains blank.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

I'm not hiding... I share too... Just in a far more personal way than showing off interests like a billboard advertisement. If anyone is hiding its you... Whatevers on your page, its not all you... Not even close.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: it is all me. Unlike the rest of the internet, I refuse to lie about who I am.