Game Jaw Drops!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zintura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By zintura
Member since 2006 • 255 Posts

In video games you usually do come across some jaw dropping moments which could either be a twist in the plot, a graphic content, scary moments, or simply a very stupid or WTF kind of content! So now you know what this thread is all about, start sharing your jaw dropping moments. You will have to be alert of spoilers though, because here what you may read could be a major spoiler for you, but this could be avoided. Take my post as an example!

1. Shadow of Colossus: The size of the first colossus - how the hell am i gonna beat that one!

2. Metal Gear Solid Revengeance: Senator Armstrong - One of a kind villain XD

3. Persona 3: The ending of course :p

4. Magnacarta Tears of Blood: *Major Spoilers*--------------------Finding the truth about our sweetheart.

Now the way i presented my post, i tried my best to nullify any possible spoilers or for the least reduce the intensity of possible spoilers for the readers either by using indicative comments only or actually using the label "Major Spoilers" in bold before writing the spoiler content.

Hope you enjoy!

vespuche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 vespuche
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

I could name a bunch in Uncharted 3. One of my favorite games of all time.

Burning Chateau

Sinking Boat

Cargo Plane

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#2 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

Senator Armstrong was the best, I just beat that game recently.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

Oh man, great idea for a thread and I'm not sure where to begin so I'll start at the beginning of my MGS odyssey:

The whole opening segment of MGS on PS1. The cinematic intro, that little bit in the basement or whatever that area was and then the ride up the lift and...finding that my footprints in the snow could be followed by the enemies!

Fallout 3: Once again, near the beginning when you first leave the fault and seeing the vast world around you and having the choice to walk ion any direction

The graphical beauty of riding through a forest path in twilight in The Witcher 3

Medal of Honour - Normandy landings

Mario Galaxy - erm, the whole 3D world platforming!

Mass Effect 2 - SPOILER! Knowing that my team set up in the end game led to the deaths of my close comrades. NO NO NO

Colin McRae Rally - I can't remember which one but one of the earliest versions, probably PS1 or early PS2, racing along an ice track with the sun setting in the distance

Red Dead Redemption - Bear attack! The fact that I had no idea there were bears in the game and I was minding my own business lol

Half Life 2 - SPOILER! The abrupt ending which ends in a flash of light if I remember correctly with Alyx just sort of disappearing

MGS 4 - The mini Metal Gear stalking me in the opening segment and I'm just rolling through its legs lol

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I think the first time I was dropped into Crysis, and they I realized they weren't going to hold my hand. They just give you this relatively large, fairly open sandbox world (keep in mind, it's still a linear FPS) to play in and a variety of ways to execute your missions. And the way everything unfolded was just so organic and amazing and cinematic, it was incredible.

Half-Life 2. Like...every 10 minutes.

Supreme Commander, when I finally decided to stop turtling and took the offensive versus an aggressive AI opponent and we had like three armies hundreds of units strong clashing against each other with plenty with prototype units supporting eachother. It was just incredible to watch. Then I launched some nukes and lobbed artillery and ended it all MUAHAHAHA. Lucky I had a beast of a computer, because that shit bogged it down and it would have crashed anything else lol. But watching that battle unfold was so satisfying.

There was a moment in Titanfall 2, early on in the singleplayer, where you're exploring a crashed ship and you lose all sense of direction. Up, down, left, right. I mean, it was crazy. Usually you have dripping water...a tree or foliage...something to indicate what is up or down, but in this example you had nothing. It was one of the most visually stunning and upsetting experiences of my life.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

In Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, when you go over a big jump, the camera does this fish-eye lens effect and jostles when you hit the ground, then there's this ringing noise like you just got hit in the head. The effects come together to give a sense of weight and impact to the jumps.

The Rooftop races in Motorstorm: Apocalypse when all the skyscrapers come crashing down in front of you.

Most of the Colossi

Finding old Hyrule in Wind Waker

In Planescape: Torment. Coming to the Pillar of Skulls, and realizing that's where Morte came from.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#6 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

I have yet to encounter a game that matched Oblivion when you first leave the sewers, and see the world. The only time that came close was riding my horse out of Mexico in Red Dead Redemption, with the excellent score.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

Nothing will ever come close to dropping my jaw as much as running around in Super Mario 64's 3D world for the first time after the N64 launched.

kingkilla3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kingkilla3
Member since 2006 • 17193 Posts

One of my earliest experiences with the Xbox 360 was playing a Call of Duty 3 demo (somehow still the only CoD game I've played). Seeing all those individual blades of grass swaying in the wind with little to no sign of jagged edges was amazing to me. There was also a Lost Planet demo that impressed me with its many frames of animation compared to what I was used to.

zintura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 zintura
Member since 2006 • 255 Posts

@Sam3231: LOL agreed! but he was a total weirdo!