For those who buy games as soon as it comes out

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mohit9206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mohit9206
Member since 2012 • 72 Posts

Does it bother you when people call you Guinea pigs or Beta testers or other such similar stuff ?

More and more games this generation are released in broken,buggy or unplayable state with the most recent examples being Evil Within with its sub 20fps which got a day 1 patch to bring it to 30fps and AC:Unity which was(and still is) broken mess at launch.

So in this scenario you would expect gamers to be more cautious and refuse to purchase such broken games yet more and more gamers are buying into the hype and records are being broken in sales which makes the companies very happy that people are buying their broken games.This makes them more confident and they release yet more broken games to the unassuming masses.They dont even fix the game now that they already got everyone's money and the cycle continues.

I want to know what you guys think of this.Sure its your money and you can buy whatever you want but its negatively affecting the gaming industry and gamers alike.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I've only done this 3 times in the last 3 years and I've only regretted it once... And nope... It doesn't bother me at all.... Probably because I don't do it often.

BTW the game I regretted buying wasn't even buggy at all. It was optimized quite well for all 3 Platforms..... It just sucked donkey balls, thats all.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I've only done this 3 times in the last 3 years and I've only regretted it once... And nope... It doesn't bother me at all.... Probably because I don't do it often.

BTW the game I regretted buying wasn't even buggy at all. It was optimized quite well for all 3 Platforms..... It just sucked donkey balls, thats all.

What game was that ?

Bet ya I like this game as well haha

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I regret buying Destiny and Watch Dogs at launch

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu

@thehig1

I think you do.... Its Bioshock Infinite.

Yep... I regret Pre-ordering that more than I regret Pre-ordering Disney Infinity and all its Bugs.

BTW The 3rd Game I got Day One was President Evil 6.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thehig1

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@thehig1

I think you do.... Its Bioshock Infinite.

Yep... I regret Pre-ordering that more than I regret Pre-ordering Disney Infinity and all its Bugs.

BTW The 3rd Game I got Day One was President Evil 6.

I do like it actually, but I agree Bioshock 1 and 2 were better games

mohit9206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mohit9206
Member since 2012 • 72 Posts

@sukraj:

Why do you regret ? I agree Watch Dogs was awfully optimised for PC but Destiny was a smooth launch wasn't it ?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu

@thehig1

Bioshock 2 is my favourite. :)

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thehig1

last game I got on day one was watch dogs, I liked it more than most didn't regret it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@mohit9206 said:

Does it bother you when people call you Guinea pigs or Beta testers or other such similar stuff ?

More and more games this generation are released in broken,buggy or unplayable state with the most recent examples being Evil Within with its sub 20fps which got a day 1 patch to bring it to 30fps and AC:Unity which was(and still is) broken mess at launch.

So in this scenario you would expect gamers to be more cautious and refuse to purchase such broken games yet more and more gamers are buying into the hype and records are being broken in sales which makes the companies very happy that people are buying their broken games.This makes them more confident and they release yet more broken games to the unassuming masses.They dont even fix the game now that they already got everyone's money and the cycle continues.

I want to know what you guys think of this.Sure its your money and you can buy whatever you want but its negatively affecting the gaming industry and gamers alike.

This is certainly not true, the only thing that is affecting the industry negative is if people don't buy the games.

Bugs and glitches are caused by the complexity of games and the reduced time given to developers not to mention that particular for pc its almost impossible to test the game on all machine configs , so the only thing not buying the game will do is hurt the developer and the games future.

So i will contiune to buy games at launch, also games are not really that expensive and its all about what priorities you have in life.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@mohit9206 said:

This is certainly not true, the only thing that is affecting the industry negative is if people don't buy the games.

Bugs and glitches are caused by the complexity of games and the reduced time given to developers not to mention that particular for pc its almost impossible to test the game on all machine configs , so the only thing not buying the game will do is hurt the developer and the games future.

So i will contiune to buy games at launch, also games are not really that expensive and its all about what priorities you have in life.

Well put. But as they say the consumer is always right, and the people truly funding the industry have every right to buy/not buy. I buy Nintendo games almost always at launch now because these wiiu games have been of such high quality that I simply really want to see what they do with each release. The other side of me has a hard time even buying ps4 games, period, because of all the sly drm stuff going on.

I do agree with your points and they are often overlooked. But where does it start? The quality of the product should dictate the demand, not the financials behind the doors.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I rarely buy games on day1, unless it's something I REALLY want. The only games I know I getting on day1 next year are Arkham night, The Witcher, Dying light and maybe The Order 1886. All the games I bought this year where after a price drop.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

Nope, being called those things doesn't bother me. I purchase quite a few games at launch and while I have run into ones with bugs and glitches I haven't really experienced any that were unplayable or at least broken to the point were it severly impacted my enjoyment of the game. Until that day comes then I'll still buy many of my games on day one and even then it'll be on a case by case basis depending on the developer.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I don´t regret it but it pisses me developers don´t do their fucking job right and publishers don´t give a shit developers aren´t doing their job right. People end up getting tired and give them the bird.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10438 Posts

i'm more of a day 5 kind of guy. been burnt too many times with either buggy (pc) or just generally over-hyped games. reading user reactions over five or so days after launch usually gives me enough info to decide whether to buy, wait or avoid altogether

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:
Its Bioshock Infinite.

I don't pay full price for games. Two exceptions were: Wasteland 2 just recently and Bioshock Infinite in 2013. I regretted it both times.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu

@Fire_Wa11

For the same reason ?

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18  Edited By Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Fire_Wa11

For the same reason ?

Not to sound like a codependent, but why I regretted my full-price buy of Bioshock Infinite is partially my fault. I had thought I turned the difficulty backdown to medium. So, I get thru 2/3rds of the game thinking I was back down to medium difficulty and wasn't.

Bioshock Infinite on a hard difficulty -- and i like harder difficulties on most games -- totally sucks. The AI are just blatant bulletsponges. What is possibly even more annoying -- and on all difficulties -- is each AI auto-alerts to your presence at a uniform distance to every mob. This constant inorganic combat felt "gamey" and immersion-breaking.

There are two lessons here:

1.)If you adjust your difficulty in-game on Bioshock Infinite and die, your game goes back to the previous difficulty, and....

2.) Pre-orders, day-one purchases, and full-retail are not for Fire Wa11. If I want to spend a bunch of money I'll just go all Charlie Sheen on some prostitutes. I game instead because it's safer and cheaper.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm not sure why it would bother anyone. When considering most modern AAA blockbusters, it's merely the truth.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

It's not consumers fault. Most don't even know this is an issue. It's the lack of laws protecting software purchasers that has caused this horrible situation IMO. Put some stricter laws on software that ships broken, like refunds 100% have to be given, and action could be taken against them if this wasn't a single incident with this outcome. When no laws are in place to protect consumers from broken software products how can you expect companies to care if it releases in an unfinished state?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu

@Fire_Wa11

Oh god yes... I had the exact same Experience and it was awfull..... Except I'm not against a game feeling gamey at all since Immersion is not a factor for me... Even from a purely game design perspective it was annoying...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#22 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@mohit9206: just look at the recent broken ass games, they are beta testers. Because the game is not done when it's released

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

But without those beta testers who would there be to find out about horrible bugs and pc optimisation? God bless them.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#24 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I wait months to buy a game usually. It still bugs me though if a games buggy and i have to download some huge patch to fix it. Wish they'd release finished well tested games.