Final Fantasy XV will be linked to XIII

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

So it seems that the games will somehow link between each other despite the name change. But how much and how is still uncertain though

Link

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

WELP. That certainly isn't going to go over well. Dammit, SE… I actually liked the first XIII game. But I realize, and you need to realize, most people hated everything about the game, the story, and the characters. No one wanted two sequels to FFXIII, and no one wants any trace of FFXIII in FFXIV. Anyhoo, youtube the ending of Lightning Returns to see for yourself that this could indeed be a thing. I really wish we all liked Lightning even half as much as SE seems to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

It's only linked by mythology, which we knew from the very beginning when FF Versus XIII was first announced. I doubt this connection amounts to much, probably just some small mention in some datalog somewhere. If XV even has those.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

Fortunately, if it's anything like FFXIII in any way...Square Enix won't make any attempts to establish the setting or story, and thus the only people who notice the connections will be those that read the datalogue entries.

Alternatively, if it's like FFXIII-2, the plot will heavily retcon anything that came before it, rendering all prior knowledge of the series redunant.

So eh, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I don't get why SE is putting so much emphasis on one of the worst received Final Fantasy games. Just move on already.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#6 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

That was always the plan, as I recall. So nothing new here.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Planeforger said:

Fortunately, if it's anything like FFXIII in any way...Square Enix won't make any attempts to establish the setting or story, and thus the only people who notice the connections will be those that read the datalogue entries.

Alternatively, if it's like FFXIII-2, the plot will heavily retcon anything that came before it, rendering all prior knowledge of the series redunant.

So eh, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

You should read some of the half dozen or so threads that have talked about his in the past few days. The plot to FF 13-2 was retconned, it was planned that way from the beginning.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

@firefox59: I did. From what I can tell, the evidence for the "planned from the start" part boiled down to an important 13-2 character (Yeul) getting a vague mention in a datalogue entry.

Yeul's storyline could have easily been written later, so...meh? Plus if 13-2 was planned from the start, why didn't 13's ending hint at anything that would happen in 13-2?

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

*sigh*

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

Does this mean you have to play all the FF13 games to understand the new one? Would be a bit off-putting for me if so.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Last_Ride

@I-AM-N00B said:

Does this mean you have to play all the FF13 games to understand the new one? Would be a bit off-putting for me if so.

we don't know, the mythology might be linked, but i doubt they are going to mention characters or events from 13

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#12 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Worst news of the week for me.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

Ridiculous. They have lost their ways, game dev in their prime in the late 80's to late 90's had so much more talent or drive.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Planeforger said:

@firefox59: I did. From what I can tell, the evidence for the "planned from the start" part boiled down to an important 13-2 character (Yeul) getting a vague mention in a datalogue entry.

Yeul's storyline could have easily been written later, so...meh? Plus if 13-2 was planned from the start, why didn't 13's ending hint at anything that would happen in 13-2?

I meant to post 'wasn't' not 'was' (idk if you could tell from the following phrase.) There were multiple datalogue entries hinting at what happened in 13-2 including Etro saving the L'Cie and stopping the Fal'Cie from destroying Cocoon and Gran Pulse. Many games don't hint at their sequels' stories. Prototype's ending had nothing to do with Prototype 2's main plot. Mass Effect didn't tell you Shepherd would die at the beginning of 2 and then be recruited by the guy he was fighting against. Think about it.

FF 13's ending seemed confusing but there was evidence there if you looked and or thought about what had happened. Obviously some type of miracle had happened to break them from the crystal. And then what happened to Lighting led into 13-2. I don't see the problem.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#15 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19582 Posts

Why are people surprised by this? Have they forgotten that this game was originally called FF Versus XIII? Anyway, they're not set in the same universe, but merely share a certain "Fabula Nova Crystallis" mythology, along with FF Type 0 (a well-received RPG that Square Enix refuses to release outside Japan).

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Last_Ride

@blamix99 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@I-AM-N00B said:

we don't know, the mythology might be linked, but i doubt they are going to mention characters or events from 13

maybe cause at the end of FFXIII Lightning Returns, Lightning was on earth

spoiler alert dude...

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

@c_rakestraw said:

That was always the plan, as I recall. So nothing new here.

And it's still a bad plan!

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

As long as the gameplay is different, I wont mind.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Please just kill FFXIII already. Ultimately I won't mind as long as the game is great, but good lord SE, just stop with FFXIII already.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Bigboi500 said:

I think it's going to be a lot of differences between this and XV

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Metamania

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Bigboi500 said:

In terms of what we saw of gameplay, absolutely. I have a feeling that it's going to be more in the direction of Kingdom Hearts though. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Last_Ride

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Bigboi500 said:

In terms of what we saw of gameplay, absolutely. I have a feeling that it's going to be more in the direction of Kingdom Hearts though. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing.

I haven't played those games unfortunately

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Metamania

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Truthfully, I've gotten decently far on the original and got as far as making it to the boss of Alice In Wonderland. It's pretty much an action RPG, which is what FFXV is pretty much going to be thus far, unless they really get their act together and make us a FF worthy of playing since X.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_Last_Ride

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Truthfully, I've gotten decently far on the original and got as far as making it to the boss of Alice In Wonderland. It's pretty much an action RPG, which is what FFXV is pretty much going to be thus far, unless they really get their act together and make us a FF worthy of playing since X.

I don't mind the gameplay really in FF, it's the story that should be better and the enviroments and overall quests

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Bigboi500 said:

To be honest I think comparing it with Kindgom Hearts fighting mechanics is unfair. KH is mostly mashing the attack button over and over again whilst you slap enemies will all the visual-kinetic flair of hitting them with a wet fish.

I don't blame people for the comparison though; most haven't had the chance to play Type-0; the game FFXV more closely resembles. Heck, I can swear that some of the animations in FFXV have been lifted directly from Type-0.

Anyone who has played Type-0 would be excited about the combat in XV. Sure the story/characters in that game are a mess, but the combat is brilliant. Each character has their own fighting style; one character is long range with a gun that fires bullets of different elements, another is a crack shot with a bow, making them perfect for critical hits, another yet fights using a range of ripostes' and counters.

FFXV is exciting because it was like they took several of the characters (and the depth of their fighting styles) and combined them into one complex unit.

If you are going to be worried about any one element in FFXV, the combat is the one I'd worry about least.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_Last_Ride

@Articuno76 said:

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Bigboi500 said:

To be honest I think comparing it with Kindgom Hearts fighting mechanics is unfair. KH is mostly mashing the attack button over and over again whilst you slap enemies will all the visual-kinetic flair of hitting them with a wet fish.

I don't blame people for the comparison though; most haven't had the chance to play Type-0; the game FFXV more closely resembles. Heck, I can swear that some of the animations in FFXV have been lifted directly from Type-0.

Anyone who has played Type-0 would be excited about the combat in XV. Sure the story/characters in that game are a mess, but the combat is brilliant. Each character has their own fighting style; one character is long range with a gun that fires bullets of different elements, another is a crack shot with a bow, making them perfect for critical hits, another yet fights using a range of ripostes' and counters.

FFXV is exciting because it was like they took several of the characters (and the depth of their fighting styles) and combined them into one complex unit.

If you are going to be worried about any one element in FFXV, the combat is the one I'd worry about least.

I haven't played the game,i really like the gameplay from the FF games, i am worried it's going to suck

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Metamania

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Articuno76 said:

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Bigboi500 said:

I haven't played the game,i really like the gameplay from the FF games, i am worried it's going to suck

If you look rather close, some, if not most videogames, borrow previous animations and put them into new ones so that it saves less time on developing on the project. While that's necessary, sometimes it's not needed, because it doesn't make the game look as new as it should be.

That being said, Kingdom Hearts, last I checked, did have button mashing in it, but I don't think that was the best route to go for most battles in the game. I believe other tactics besides button mashing were the keys to winning.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Articuno76 said:

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Bigboi500 said:

If you look rather close, some, if not most videogames, borrow previous animations and put them into new ones so that it saves less time on developing on the project. While that's necessary, sometimes it's not needed, because it doesn't make the game look as new as it should be.

That being said, Kingdom Hearts, last I checked, did have button mashing in it, but I don't think that was the best route to go for most battles in the game. I believe other tactics besides button mashing were the keys to winning.

I want the regular FF gameplay if i am being honest. The combat has never been the issue

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

@yokofox33 said:

Please just kill FFXIII already. Ultimately I won't mind as long as the game is great, but good lord SE, just stop with FFXIII already.

I agree, FF13 has been forced down our throats for long enough now. Don't know why they cant just move on from it. All the other FF games have totally separate stories, so why cant this one? Its called FF15 now, so most fans would be expecting (and possibly hoping for) a totally new world and storyline.