Dungeons and Dragons Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara coming to XBL and PSN

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/news/dungeons-and-dragons-arcade-games-coming-to-xbla-psn-report-6405407

Great news right here: two of the best beat'em ups of all time are coming to consoles as downloadable titles. For the two of you who never heard of them, these games are CAPCOM fantasy scrolling beat'em ups with RPG elements, upgradable equipment, multiple paths to choose from and up to 4 players simultaneously, each with a unique class and abilities/spells.

No price has been announced, nor if they will be sold separately or bundled together. Still: great news for all 90s kids.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Oh God the nostalgia is overwhelming! 

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

A really good friend of mine owns the Saturn imports and I remember playing them a bit, even though I could not understand what they were saying at all (due to the text being in Japanese), but it was fun. I'm glad to see these games being ported over and coming over here! :)

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#4 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

I own the Saturn version, it will be nice to have a better running version that is in English.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts
Awesome news. I remember reading about these in the gaming magazines back in the day, I think they were just hitting the arcades back in the day, and wanting to play them so badly. Looks like I'll finally be able to. Sweet. :D
YosemiteSam400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 YosemiteSam400
Member since 2013 • 159 Posts

Sweet news. I'll get them...IF they don't have online only requirements like Final Fight double impact did.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Black_Knight_00
The best thing about this will be the online 4 players coop... unless CRAPCOM mucks it up as usual and does not include it for some reason beyond comprehension
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#8 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

Never heard of them before this announcement the other day. I would be interested for sure if they're priced right. I bet they will be too expensive for 20 year old re-releases.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#9 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
The best thing about this will be the online 4 players coop... unless CRAPCOM mucks it up as usual and does not include it for some reason beyond comprehensionBlack_Knight_00
They port the Saturn versions with slowdown and two player instead of the Arcade version.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]The best thing about this will be the online 4 players coop... unless CRAPCOM mucks it up as usual and does not include it for some reason beyond comprehensionLegolas_Katarn
They port the Saturn versions with slowdown and two player instead of the Arcade version.

Is this official? Where did you see this?
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]The best thing about this will be the online 4 players coop... unless CRAPCOM mucks it up as usual and does not include it for some reason beyond comprehensionBlack_Knight_00

I don't think Capcom would go that low to do something like that. Look at the excellent ports they've did with Darkstalkers and SFIII, along with the Final Fight Double Impact games (Final Fight/Magic Sword), all perfect in their glory. I really doubt they'll go that low to port a version with slow loading times and slowdown as a whole.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"] They port the Saturn versions with slowdown and two player instead of the Arcade version.Metamania

I don't think Capcom would go that low to do something like that. Look at the excellent ports they've did with Darkstalkers and SFIII, along with the Final Fight Double Impact games (Final Fight/Magic Sword), all perfect in their glory. I really doubt they'll go that low to port a version with slow loading times and slowdown as a whole.

Yeah Capcom has been very good at porting over the superior arcade versions of their games. There's no way I see them not doing the same here, complete with 4-player online support.
Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

This is sweet news all around! The new generations of gamers today could learn of what good gaming is like. These two games are some examples of how gaming was truly revolutionized back then, with a lot of creativity, & with a lot of thought put into them, unlike say, most of the AAA titles that are on PS3 & Xbox 360 today.

Yeah Capcom has been very good at porting over the superior arcade versions of their games. There's no way I see them not doing the same here, complete with 4-player online support.Archangel3371

I agree. There's no good reason for them to use the console versions at all.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#14 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Looks cool. I just bought Castle Crashers and am loving it. This game looks awesome too.

Do you know if there is 4 player local co-op and if its in HD?

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Never heard of them before this announcement the other day. I would be interested for sure if they're priced right. I bet they will be too expensive for 20 year old re-releases.

AzelKosMos

Well, there's a decent number of characters to play as, there's also diverging paths throughout the game thus adding to the replay value, overall equaling a good length. And if there's local co-op (would be ridiculously stupid not to be), the length is on lock more than the price demands.

The gameplay's good, the combat is basic but polished and addictive, with a little depth sprinkled over it due to auto combos, a magic system, and secondary weapons that can be found, or bought (daggers, bows & arrows, etc.). The hit detection is spot on, and the controls are solid and responsive. 

The sound is great, all the sounds are crisp, clear and appropriately designed to add a little 'oomph' to the pleasure of hacking trough the varied enemies, the music fits with the D&D theme aswell. 

Overall, rest assured that 10 bucks is a steal, if you like good beat 'em ups and have friends to play with in co-op.  

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#16 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I will consider buying this, I especially liked D&D.