Does Ubisoft developers have no fresh ideas

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

I play watchdogs and I feel like I am playing assassin creed in a car, how hard is it to have some fresh ideas for a new game, do these developers lack brain cells.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

You know it's entirely possible to criticise a game without being an ignorant ass about it. Really, what was the point with the very last part of your post?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

@yukushi: completely agree. splinter cell, far cry and watch dogs are all just pretty much assassin's creed re-skinned. same feel. same mechanics. unfortunately, judging by comments i see on this site and others, most people don't seem to realise / care.

ubisoft seemingly have none of the creativity or focus on quality they had ten years+ ago, back in the days of games like splinter cell chaos theory and before that. all they seem concerned about now is shovelling as much derivative, formulaic shit out as quickly as they can. very sad to see a quality publisher fall so far and people continuing to lap it up

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 yukushi

@Archangel3371:

No need to be butthurt its the truth and you know it, fry cry, assassin creed, watch dogs all use the same ideas, all I am asking for is some creativity or maybe that is too much to ask for.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Archangel3371

@yukushi said:

@Archangel3371:

No need to be butthurt its the truth and you know it, fry cry, assassin creed, watch dogs all use the same ideas, all I am asking for is some creativity or maybe that is too much to ask for.

People seem to lack reading comprehension skills these days. I never said anything about the creativity in their games nor did I say that you couldn't ask for more or criticise their games for it. I simply questioned the reason to include a derogatory comment at the end with the "lack of brain cells" comment.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#6  Edited By lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

@Macutchi said:

@yukushi: completely agree. splinter cell, far cry and watch dogs are all just pretty much assassin's creed re-skinned. same feel. same mechanics. unfortunately, judging by comments i see on this site and others, most people don't seem to realise / care.

ubisoft seemingly have none of the creativity or focus on quality they had ten years+ ago, back in the days of games like splinter cell chaos theory and before that. all they seem concerned about now is shovelling as much derivative, formulaic shit out as quickly as they can. very sad to see a quality publisher fall so far and people continuing to lap it up

Dont you dare compare Splinter Cell to that.

Splinter Cell is a STEALTH GAME. And it gets stealth right, probably the best stealth in video games as a matter of fact. I haven't played WD but AC and FC have horrible stealth systems. Also Splinter Cell is NOT open world.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Macutchi said:

Are you drunk? Splinter Cell is a old franchise that had its first game long before Assassins Creed was even a sparkle in the developers eye and probably also before your mom was even born.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#8 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
@Jacanuk said:

@Macutchi said:

Are you drunk? Splinter Cell is a old franchise that had its first game long before Assassins Creed was even a sparkle in the developers eye and probably also before your mom was even born.

Yup.

I cant even understand why he thought SC had similar gameplay to AC, really aside from being able to kill people with a knife, splinter cell has NOTHING in common with assassins creed.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

They do... Child of Light is proof of that.... But what good is fresh ideas if people would rather buy Assassin's Creed....

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#10 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

They use the same approach because it's the safest and sells the most.
I can forgive that, but their in-game transaction systems are getting unacceptable

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@Macutchi said:

unfortunately, judging by comments i see on this site and others, most people don't seem to realise / care.

I don't care, because there's no need to play every Ubisoft game out there. There's no need to play all Assassin's Creed's, there's no need to play all Far Cry's, there's no need to play all Clancy games. There are so many games out there. I played the first AC and somewhere next year I'll probably buy AC IV to be a pirate and play with boats. If you ask me, people should stop fatiguing themselves.

@Archangel3371 said:

People seem to lack reading comprehension skills these days. I never said anything about the creativity in their games nor did I say that you couldn't ask for more or criticise their games for it. I simply questioned the reason to include a derogatory comment at the end with the "lack of brain cells" comment.

In my experience, lack of reading comprehension, selective reading and/or unnecessarily assigning emotions/moods to comments based on their phrasing are the main reasons so many discussions devolve into bickering and personal attacks. That, and the apparent desire to express every opinion within the twitter word limit, which often makes for blunt and unsubstantiated comments.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Archangel3371

@loafofgame said:
@Macutchi said:

unfortunately, judging by comments i see on this site and others, most people don't seem to realise / care.

I don't care, because there's no need to play every Ubisoft game out there. There's no need to play all Assassin's Creed's, there's no need to play all Far Cry's, there's no need to play all Clancy games. There are so many games out there. I played the first AC and somewhere next year I'll probably buy AC IV to be a pirate and play with boats. If you ask me, people should stop fatiguing themselves.

@Archangel3371 said:

In my experience, lack of reading comprehension, selective reading and/or unnecessarily assigning emotions/moods to comments based on their phrasing are the main reasons so many discussions devolve into bickering and personal attacks. That, and the apparent desire to express every opinion within the twitter word limit, which often makes for blunt and unsubstantiated comments.

So true.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

All their development teams are probably bursting with fresh and innovative ideas... they are just being constricted by what their publishing overlords expect and harsh deadlines that prevents them.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Macutchi

@Jacanuk said:

@Macutchi said:

have you even played blacklist? it's nothing like the old splinter cell games. there's a completely different feel to it. you climb around buildings like altair. it handles more like assassin's creed than chaos theory. try playing the game before you wade in with the insults shit for brains

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Macutchi

@loafofgame said:
@Macutchi said:

fair point but it just smacks of laziness to me. they used to be one of my favourite publishers. i miss the days of when their games all had their own unique feel. now most of their games feel very similar and share the same features and mechanics. i don't like that

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

What kind of fresh ideas are you looking for? I loved both Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4. But, that's about it for Ubisoft FPS games. I'm not interested in the AC series or TPS games. So, no big loss to me.

I liked Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. So, I'm happy to see Ubisoft releasing Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris soon.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@Macutchi said:

fair point but it just smacks of laziness to me. they used to be one of my favourite publishers. i miss the days of when their games all had their own unique feel. now most of their games feel very similar and share the same features and mechanics. i don't like that

Well, laziness or not, if people would stop buying these games so eagerly on a yearly basis, then maybe Ubisoft would try a little harder. If you ask me, a lot of consumers are just as lazy by going for the most marketed games, instead of putting a little bit of effort into finding something else to play.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

"GameSpot Forums Games Discussion

Does Ubisoft developers have no fresh ideas" NOPE !

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

First, I remember when Ubisoft could do no wrong amongst gamers and EA and Activision got all the hate but I guess 2014 is the "year of the hate for Ubisoft." Since all the cool kids are hating I guess everyone's got to jump in. What a joke.

But now that I've got that out of the way I will make a few comments.

1. Many of Ubisoft's franchises are all trading ideas. Therefore systems, ideas, mechanics ETC are going from one game to another and back. While Watch Dogs did have a few new ideas it did borrow a ton of lumber from Assassins Creed. Assassins Creed has clearly influenced Far Cry and things tried in Far Cry 3 have come back to influence Assassins Creed. I think that this is getting a tad out of hand and that Far Cry should feel like Far Cry and not like a FPS Assassins Creed.

2. The "initates", "companion apps" and "uplay" crap is getting shoved down my throad and up my butt has GOT to stop. Locking in game function behind a dumb companion app is the worst idea since the virtual boy.

3. There's no reason to hate Ubisoft. They released Child of Light (as mentioned earlier) and Valiant Hearts which were both fun-looking indie artistic games. You can't fault them for the new ideas they are trying in their games, the locking mechanic in AC:U sucked but hopefully they'll learn from that. The hacking in Watch dogs was quite interesting and fun (and you can't tell me there's anything like it in Assassins Creed.

Now I'm babbling. Time to go.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Macutchi said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Macutchi said:

have you even played blacklist? it's nothing like the old splinter cell games. there's a completely different feel to it. you climb around buildings like altair. it handles more like assassin's creed than chaos theory. try playing the game before you wade in with the insults shit for brains

Your posts in this thread are some of the worst I've ever seen. It's like you literally don't know what you're talking about. Also, cursing at someone? Really dude? Grow up. It's a video game forum.

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts

Can't really blame the developers since they have very little say in what is included and removed from a game. Publishers/producers have more power than the developers.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Macutchi said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Macutchi said:

Yes i have, opposite you it seems, actually paid for and played Blacklist and its a move away from the traditional splinter cell game but only in the way its no longer a linear story game but a semi open world game with focus on co-op. But its core mechanics is still very much splinter cell and you have been climbing on walls in Splinter Cell ever since the first game even came out, which again was way before there was anything called Assassins creed.

Also if you wish to insult me, try a bit harder.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

All their development teams are probably bursting with fresh and innovative ideas... they are just being constricted by what their publishing overlords expect and harsh deadlines that prevents them.

And we have a winner.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Games do not want fresh ideas.

They are trying fresh ideals with games like Assassin's Creed

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#25 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

They do... Child of Light is proof of that.... But what good is fresh ideas if people would rather buy Assassin's Creed....

And that is reality. It's hard coming up with new ideas, and even harder putting tons of money into said new idea, and not knowing if they'll get a prominent return on their investment. Play it safe, rehash the same known name multiple times and the average consumer will eat it up. The people that are concerned over Ubisofts lack of ideas, constant rehashes, and lack of quality control are a minimal minority compared to the millions that will go out and buy every Assassins Creed game day one.

If they can get away with how they operate currently and make a profit, then why wouldn't they? Easy way = winning for them.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@polishkid99

Damn Straight.... I did my part though.... I bought both Rayman Origin and Legends.... Thats the series I wana see more of.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

Something they could do in the next WD is allow a certain app or holographic map that allows you to set up ambushes. Maybe you could connect to devices and cameras that are very far away- but there would have to be some kind of balance. Maybe research different areas or something..... idk. It does not matter anyway

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#28 WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

@yukushi said:

I play watchdogs and I feel like I am playing assassin creed in a car, how hard is it to have some fresh ideas for a new game, do these developers lack brain cells.

NO, Ubisoft devs have plenty of ideas. But if Ubisoft thinks it wont make as much money they will can the game.

Remeber when Ubi published games like Darkwatch and Dreamfall The Longest Journey.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Macutchi

@firefox59 said:

@Macutchi said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Macutchi said:

Your posts in this thread are some of the worst I've ever seen. It's like you literally don't know what you're talking about. Also, cursing at someone? Really dude? Grow up. It's a video game forum.

it's my opinion. if you can't see the similarities between blacklist and assassin's creed / far cry and how much the game has switched in play style towards these games from the early sc games then fine but i can. and he was the one who called me drunk then cracked a mom joke, yet i'm the one who needs to grow up? ok

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

@Macutchi said:

My experience exactly. Watch Dogs and Far Cry is AC now with boring repetitive gameplay, all filled with towers revealing yet more useless crap to do. Why would we need them towers in FC4 anyhow? It's not like there ain't friggin' choppers everywhere, revealing the entire map. It's just stupid, and not really entertaining. The only real cool thing with FC4 is the hunting and Unity I quit playing after the prologue and I don't think I will pick up from where I left it.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

devs created new IPs.

Instead you guys continued to buy Assassin Creed, GTA, COD, BF, and all the major titles. . Case in point Bayonetta 2 sales are atrocious and at the end of the day devs want bonuses and royalties. They are not going to make an interesting new I.P. that doesn't sell because you are still attached to Halo and are unwilling to give other innovative games a chance. Moreover, over the years, critics have chastised games that strayed away from the mundane formula which also helps to curb stomp any new idea.

This industry hates change unless its backed and marketed by some celebrity, Facebook, or idk has AAA status funding.

Next.......

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 sabretooth2066
Member since 2013 • 402 Posts

@yukushi said:

how hard is it to play something else ? do you seriously lack brain cells to come up with the idea of playing something else ?

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sabretooth2066

@Macutchi said:

@yukushi: completely agree. splinter cell, far cry and watch dogs are all just pretty much assassin's creed re-skinned.

...you are completely deranged...

WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WolfgarTheQuiet

@wiouds: How can you try new ideas with an old franchise such as AC. They have done everything they can.

@sabretooth2066 I dont agree with him. But when i play WD or FC. The structure reminds me only of AC, mission structures, design and general things.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sabretooth2066

@WolfgarTheQuiet said:

@wiouds: How can you try new ideas with an old franchise such as AC. They have done everything they can.

@sabretooth2066 I dont agree with him. But when i play WD or FC. The structure reminds me only of AC, mission structures, design and general things.

mentioning splinter cell along with far cry and assassin´s creed in one row makes it obvious this guy has some major malfunction

WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WolfgarTheQuiet

@sabretooth2066: Splinter Cell its not even the same ball game, not even close to AC, WD or FC. Thats when i said to myself, dont even try talking to him.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sabretooth2066

well for one thing i can understand some people being tired of climbing towers to make certain spots on the area visible, as you have to do it in assassin´s creed (which actually started that feature) then watch dogs and now even you have to do the same thing in SHADOW OF MORDOR, but i have to say i like it, i just dont get tired of climing towers and activating certain spots on the map that way

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#39 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@yukushi said:

So where is the legit criticism of this game?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Macutchi

@sabretooth2066 said:

@Macutchi said:

@yukushi: completely agree. splinter cell, far cry and watch dogs are all just pretty much assassin's creed re-skinned.

that's rich coming from you lol. the guy who has a meltdown every time someone disagrees with him.

saying they are all just ac reskinned was, in hindsight, too strong a statement but i do stand by my point that they all have a similar feel. when i said you could now climb around buildings like altair, jacanuk said you've always been able to climb walls in splinter cell. but you haven't. you were able to rappel down walls at certain places or climb drainpipes but not bound around a building from ledge to ledge like you can now. that is very assassin's creed-like.

i know this is just one example but my overall point is that it feels like they're using the same underlying template for each of these games. and whilst of course they have their own unique features and gameplay elements they also share a lot (e.g. the detection meter, uncovering parts of the map by climbing towers, cookie cutter filler side missions, the stealth via on screen prompts etc) and as a result the games feel quite similar and lose some of their individuality.

maybe sc to a lesser extent than watch dogs and far cry but blacklist still feels, to me, closer to assassin's creed than it does to chaos theory. think back to the early splinter cell games - they had their own unique style and feel. far cry 1 & 2 also had their own feel. assassin's creed had its own feel. the differences and boundaries between them were all clear. now there's a lot of overlap. i'm not a fan of that, i miss the old ubisoft. splinter cell is one of my favourite franchises. i've replayed the first 3 probably more than most and i'm disappointed in how very different it is now compared to the early games. maybe that's why i'm a little hostile to ubi ;)

maybe it isn't laziness by ubi, maybe it's because they intentionally want their games to feel familiar to help increases sales because if you enjoy one chances are you'll enjoy them all. i don't know. anyway, it's just my opinion.

@yngsten at least someone agrees with me ;)

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sabretooth2066

@Macutchi said:

@sabretooth2066 said:

@Macutchi said:

that's rich coming from you lol. the guy who has a meltdown every time someone disagrees with him.

saying they are all just ac reskinned was, in hindsight, too strong a statement but i do stand by my point that they all have a similar feel. when i said you could now climb around buildings like altair, jacanuk said you've always been able to climb walls in splinter cell. but you haven't. you were able to rappel down walls at certain places or climb drainpipes but not bound around a building from ledge to ledge like you can now. that is very assassin's creed-like.

i know this is just one example but my overall point is that it feels like they're using the same underlying template for each of these games. and whilst of course they have their own unique features and gameplay elements they also share a lot (e.g. the detection meter, uncovering parts of the map by climbing towers, cookie cutter filler side missions, the stealth via on screen prompts etc) and as a result the games feel quite similar and lose some of their individuality.

maybe sc to a lesser extent than watch dogs and far cry but blacklist still feels, to me, closer to assassin's creed than it does to chaos theory. think back to the early splinter cell games - they had their own unique style and feel. far cry 1 & 2 also had their own feel. assassin's creed had its own feel. the differences and boundaries between them were all clear. now there's a lot of overlap. i'm not a fan of that, i miss the old ubisoft. splinter cell is one of my favourite franchises. i've replayed the first 3 probably more than most and i'm disappointed in how very different it is now compared to the early games. maybe that's why i'm a little hostile to ubi ;)

maybe it isn't laziness by ubi, maybe it's because they intentionally want their games to feel familiar to help increases sales because if you enjoy one chances are you'll enjoy them all. i don't know. anyway, it's just my opinion.

@yngsten at least someone agrees with me ;)

1.) dont take every word i post so goddamn serious for christ sakes and take it easy....this is just the internet

2.) ....reading this huge article gave me the idea its you who just suffered a meltdown

3.) no no, its true, you were a moron for mentioning splinter cell with far cry, watch dogs and assassin´s creed in one row, but youre not a complete fool because in some other threads you made at least some sense at times

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Macutchi

@sabretooth2066 ha i just felt the need to justify my point after the reaction i've had ;) and despite the reaction, i have seen others on gs who share a similar opinion, so believe it or not i'm not the only one who feels like this about ubisoft

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

How can they have any good ideas when they spread the development of their games over 20 different studios.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#46 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Dislike Ubi all you want, when the games of theirs work, they're pretty good. Better than EA's most of the time

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I enjoy some of their stuff but they have oddly enough made the same exact games reskined with barely changed AI for the last 10 years. Enjoying far cry 4 but it's only a graphical change over 3 everything else but setting is the same. It's the same with the assassins creed games, and well that's about all I can think of from them that has been of any note other the watch dogs and it just downright sucked.

Kind of weird though that the only two things that come to mind for the last 10 years as something big from ubisoft are the Creed games and Far cry...Literally I can't think of anything else from them that is even worth mentioning which says a lot, considering how large that company is.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 yukushi

This is how ubisoft does things if they come out with a game and it does well then they will release a part two of the game the next year with some slight changes and they will keeping doing this until the consumer gets tired of the game,

This is what happen with assassin creed the games would be so much better if they did not rush it to the market and watchdogs had potential but it needed more development time, but the problem with ubisoft bosses is they are all about the money and trying to please shareholders there is no true love for gaming and that is the big problem.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#49 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

I enjoy some of their stuff but they have oddly enough made the same exact games reskined with barely changed AI for the last 10 years. Enjoying far cry 4 but it's only a graphical change over 3 everything else but setting is the same. It's the same with the assassins creed games, and well that's about all I can think of from them that has been of any note other the watch dogs and it just downright sucked.

Kind of weird though that the only two things that come to mind for the last 10 years as something big from ubisoft are the Creed games and Far cry...Literally I can't think of anything else from them that is even worth mentioning which says a lot, considering how large that company is.

Rayman Legends.

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#50 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

I don't think it's that they don't have any ideas, I think it's that they really aren't allowed to develop any of them. Almost every Ubisoft game is on or close to a yearly release schedule now and they are getting more and more similar and more and more generic. I've said this before, but i really do attribute this to yearly releases. While I am aware that many publishers have many different studios working on these games, they still really aren't fully developed and sometimes only get around a year or two of development. This really makes it hard for any new innovations to occur because you really don't have time to create new animations, mechanics, and all other necessary improvements in such a short time, so many developers resort to just copying and pasting their last game or releasing a broken game. I really like Ubisoft and I like playing their games, so I hope they can turn this pattern around, but I'm really not too optimistic on Ubisofts future currently