Does this also annoys you ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NdsGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NdsGuru
Member since 2006 • 664 Posts

For example your playing an rpg and after about 20 minutes you decide to play a platformer. After 20 minutes in that game you haven't made any progress. Does the fact that you could've spend that 20 minutes in the rpg also frustrates you. It s some kind of time waste.

That's why RPG's are addictive

Discuss

SaL_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 SaL_92
Member since 2005 • 4106 Posts
sometimes, but i try not to think about it
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Well, it depends on the game. Some RPGs make you spend over 6 hours and have no progress.

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
no cuz id of kept playin the RPG
azad_champ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 azad_champ
Member since 2005 • 3482 Posts
I hate RPG's that demand grinding a lot. I think it's very old gameplay form and it needs to be changed. At least make it less repetitive.
FoodThing00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 FoodThing00
Member since 2006 • 695 Posts
I hate RPG's that demand grinding a lot. I think it's very old gameplay form and it needs to be changed. At least make it less repetitive.azad_champ

Agreed. A change like making the fighting system more like a fighting game (fast paced dodging, blocking and attacking, oh, and make it much more free-flowing) would make grinding more fun.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
No...it doesn't bother me. It makes me more determined to get that task done.
oce86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 oce86
Member since 2007 • 299 Posts

[QUOTE="azad_champ"]I hate RPG's that demand grinding a lot. I think it's very old gameplay form and it needs to be changed. At least make it less repetitive.FoodThing00

Agreed. A change like making the fighting system more like a fighting game (fast paced dodging, blocking and attacking, oh, and make it much more free-flowing) would make grinding more fun.

I've noticed that almost all kids feel this way lately. Grinding up and then kicking ass at the end is what makes it fun & an RPG, fast pace makes me lose interest because it stops feeling like an RPG, (KH for example.) If it felt like a fighting game and was fast and free flowing, wouldn't that just be an adventure game?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts

I hate RPG's that demand grinding a lot. I think it's very old gameplay form and it needs to be changed. At least make it less repetitive.azad_champ

Agreed

Grinding has gotten old, although i'm not sure how they can improve upon this, and tiresome. Mind you once you get past the first 10 levels usually grinding becomes a little more fun because you don't die every 20 seconds fighting rats or wolves etc.

FoodThing00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 FoodThing00
Member since 2006 • 695 Posts

[QUOTE="FoodThing00"][QUOTE="azad_champ"]I hate RPG's that demand grinding a lot. I think it's very old gameplay form and it needs to be changed. At least make it less repetitive.oce86

I've noticed that almost all kids feel this way lately. Grinding up and then kicking ass at the end is what makes it fun & an RPG, fast pace makes me lose interest because it stops feeling like an RPG, (KH for example.) If it felt like a fighting game and was fast and free flowing, wouldn't that just be an adventure game?

Kid? Hey..eh. 16. right.

No, it wouldn't be an adventure game, rpg elements like skills and stats would still be included. (And why would an rpg with fightinggame like combat become adventure? you do realise that there is much more to RPG's than turn-based combat (mostly)..right?:roll:
Mind you, i'm not looking down on turn-based, but the fact still remains that it takes away the fun in grinding.
carrotthead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 carrotthead
Member since 2004 • 1408 Posts
not it does not
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
The worst is what happened in Halo3 the other day... I was playing that for a good 2-3 hours, and passed like 3 chapters, and just turned the console off, but never saved!
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

The worst is what happened in Halo3 the other day... I was playing that for a good 2-3 hours, and passed like 3 chapters, and just turned the console off, but never saved!ice_radon

I did the same, but at work, with macromedia flash. ugh.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
[QUOTE="oce86"]

[QUOTE="FoodThing00"][QUOTE="azad_champ"]I hate RPG's that demand grinding a lot. I think it's very old gameplay form and it needs to be changed. At least make it less repetitive.FoodThing00

Kid? Hey..eh. 16. right.

No, it wouldn't be an adventure game, rpg elements like skills and stats would still be included. (And why would an rpg with fightinggame like combat become adventure? you do realise that there is much more to RPG's than turn-based combat (mostly)..right?:roll:
Mind you, i'm not looking down on turn-based, but the fact still remains that it takes away the fun in grinding.

That's not a fact...it's your opinion.

I don't mind the turn based combat. A lot of RPGs that focus on making it into a fighting game are often simplified and dumb downed *cough* Kingdom Hearts *cough* Eternal Sonata *cough*. It's nicè for a change in the gameplay mechanics every once in a while, but I don't ever want to see turn based combat go.

Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Revelade
Member since 2005 • 1862 Posts

So long as the AI is the braindead "attack player" type, I'd be glad to see it go.

Why are RPGs so repetitive and boring?

You spend so much time fighting hordes of rather stupid creatures. Look at the AI in half-life. They take cover when shot at. They throw grenades to flush you out. They call for backup. In RPGs, you touch a monster/get randomly warped into a battle arena. From there, you hit them, they hit you, blah. Or in real-time RPGs, it's not much better. Attack enemy, perhaps cast a spell every few seconds until dead.

It doesn't test the player. It only depends on how long you play. FPSes are all about twitch and reflex skills. As you play, you'll hone your timing and precision. YOU as the player get better. Then on the other hand are strategy games. These are about making smart decisions. A game like chess perhaps. As you play YOU get better by making smarter moves. Notice how in both games, you as the PLAYER get better, not the ingame avatar you assume.

But in RPGs, it's about how much time you invest. That's the core of the experience = level system. Chess or counter-strike are great games in that, whether you win or lose, the game was a thrill. But in RPGs, a battle is often long and simple. Is it the battle that people remember? Or rather is it that rare weapon or that huge exp amount they get in return what they are after? You never see people rave about the battles, but rather what they get from it.

I won't lie, I do that too. I play a game called Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2 for the gamecube. The game? It's utterly boring. You walk around areas and slash at monsters either with a gun, a sword or you can use magical attacks. The monsters die, then they respawn. So that's the game. Walk around and slash. However, the only reason I play is because I can get items and levels from the monsters. Rewarded for doing boring stuff. That's how I see it.

I can play counter-strike or chess for hours and enjoy it, even though I don't get a reward for it. However, I can't imagine spending hours of "working" in RPGs without getting some item or experience.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#16 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

[QUOTE="ice_radon"]The worst is what happened in Halo3 the other day... I was playing that for a good 2-3 hours, and passed like 3 chapters, and just turned the console off, but never saved!Black_Knight_00

I did the same, but at work, with macromedia flash. ugh.

That´s what I call annoying...:x

cos_vanquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 cos_vanquish
Member since 2007 • 1143 Posts

Ok, there is a difference between hack n slash rpg's and true rpg's. I hate people who grind and sit there trying to power level. I used to play this one rpg where it wasnt' really about killing monsters. You got minute exp for killing things. The real experience and level gaining was in roleplaying and interacting with one another. Players were able to give what were called role-playing points to other players for good rp. It couldn't be abused, because you only had like 5 points every 5 hours. And you would be watched closely by admins if your 5 points went to the same player. Once you got 10 rp points, you would gain a level.

Now that wasn't about grinding it out for hours and hours, even though the game was very addictive and I found myself sitting on there for hours running around and discovering new areas and trying to figure out quests, and trying to find nice items for new players so they wouldn't have to go try and make some gold so they could buy the same armor and then be broke.

It was rpg's like that that made me fall in love with them, but it was hack n slash rpg's that made me even notice them.