Does anyone else dislike pokemon? What is the appeal?

thatnordicguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 thatnordicguy
Member since 2014 • 150 Posts

I just could never get into it. The game bores me to death and I hate turn-based combat. I tried watching the show back in the day and again in the future but the voice acting was so annoying and high pitched, it hurt my head too much. So, what is the appeal, why do so many people like it?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#2 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

It's fun to see animals fight each other.

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

always hated pokemon

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#4 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Never got into Pokemon either, but I can see the appeal. Controlling battle-ready (and adorable) monsters all for the sake of looking like a true leader and creature master? That's really appealing for a lot of people.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I always hated it.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts

@thatnordicguy: I didn't like it either but i can see the appeal its mainly about collection.

The actual gameplay is pretty repetitive and outdated but the collecting aspect is what makes it so popular.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19573 Posts

It's a simple-to-learn, difficult-to-master action RPG with over 700 unique 'characters' to obtain/train/build teams with.

So...it's in a popular genre, it's very addictive (people love to see numbers go up), and there's an almost overwhelming amount of content for new players to dive into. Plus you can compete against friends.

It isn't difficult to see why it is one of the strongest selling videogames franchises of all time.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I can only play the Gen 1 games. Could get into the later games, and I stop trying when I seen they were making pokemon out of random objects they must have seen while brainstorming. Eg Ice cream cone, A keychain, A scottish Terrier in a cape, A chandelier, A Tree, A Pinecone, A Pile of Garbage,

There was a few dumb/lazy Gen 1 pokemon, however it just seemed there was more in the later generations.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Collecting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Don't play pokemon. It suck the life out of you.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

Appeal is nostalgia and childhood.

Pokemon was not only a lot of peoples first exposure to Japaneses animation, but it was also one of the first games many kids played. Back then, Nintendo sold the gameboy with a copy of Pokemon and well as they say rest is history. As to why kids like it well Pokemon expanded into other mediums of entertainment such as movies, anime, was on channel 11 for who knows how long, retail locations around the globe, featured as guests in video games, card game, tournaments, stuff animals, etc. The simplicity of the game helps too making it easily accessible to lets say Final Fantasy VI or Fire Elbem Wars. Its not so much that people or more specifically gamers love the series. It's just that Pokemon is literally mentioned everywhere you go so yeah the avg. person will check it out.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

It's easy to get into but incredibly deep and customizable to a degree that's rather mind blowing. There is a vast amount of dedication, strategy and time required to master the endless supply of options available to you in competitive play.