Do you trust ebay?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FFgamer19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FFgamer19
Member since 2005 • 80 Posts

I am looking tot buy an x box 360 off of ebay. My friend Say's not to do it because he thinks it might not work. If i do get a system that doesn't work, would i be able to get my money back. I just wanna know if it is a good idea to buy it off of ebay

thank you.

Younggun135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Younggun135
Member since 2006 • 1853 Posts
If you are buying it used go with a store that sells a lot of them, and has good feedback. dont go with some random person.
greenghost123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 greenghost123
Member since 2007 • 570 Posts

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#4 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts
I would buy it from someone who has 90% feedback or more if I was you. It can be hard to trust eBay sometimes.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#5 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
I do trust it, but only if the person has good feedback.Just make sure you read the description very carefully
KhanhAgE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KhanhAgE
Member since 2004 • 1345 Posts
I buy a lot of games off eBay, but that doesn't mean it's a safe place to shop. There are a lot of dodgy people there. I've been conned once, but after complaining was able to get most of my money back (people tend to not refund the Postage and Packaging cost). Always ask questions, get them to supply photos and find out the condition of the item. It pays to be a cautious and smart buyer.
Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts
I've never bought a system before, but make sure you look at who you're buying from. I bought my digital camera off eBay and I think one of the best things to do is look for the sellers that are actual businesses or people who sell like they are a business. Obviously they wouldn't stay in business long if they kept cheating people so they're usually a safe bet. Also, like others have mentioned, always check feedback! It's a good indicator of how trustworthy people are. When you pay it's also a good idea to use PayPal for extra protection. They're pretty good about getting you your money back if something goes wrong. They did for me.
Younggun135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Younggun135
Member since 2006 • 1853 Posts
Um thats why they made a feedback system. only buy from good feedback, and you should be fine. and that picture made me lol.
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
Along as you buy from a reputed seller, you should have no problems.
Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts

Stores and the feedback system; always try and look for these two things - if it's a store or someone with very positive feedback from a large amount of people; you're in business.

Moogleman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Moogleman23
Member since 2007 • 186 Posts
I buy used games from people online, but systems are a different story. I prefer going to one of the many game stores I go to and get them there. I have had times where the shipper sent me the wrong thing and I was able to get a refund, but it was such a hassle.
Avatar image for Joystick_n_hand
Joystick_n_hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Joystick_n_hand
Member since 2007 • 460 Posts
I have sold systems and bought many games from ebay. Only buy from people or stores that have at least 95% feedback. And always read the text with the auction. If things go sour and it goes to the resolution center they can say, " It said the game was scratched!" Always read EVERYTHING before bidding. Be sure to ask questions if you need clarification. Save all e-mails and the such because if you get screwed you can use this "evidence" to get your loot back. Everything on ebay is regulated and monitered...just be a smart shopper. I have gotten great deals and perfect games on it and will continue to do so.
cos_vanquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 cos_vanquish
Member since 2007 • 1143 Posts
Yes, make sure they have atleast 95% positive feedback, and if it's an online warehouse, even better. Read the fine print through and through. Make sure that it says in there somewhere that the system is in working condition with no defects. If it doesn't, then kindly ask them if anything has ever happened to the system and if it does work properly and save the response. If it's not an online warehouse and just a regular seller, also ask them why they are selling the system. As long as you shop smartly and make sure everything is in order and there is nothing remotely fishy about the buy then go ahead and do it and you will be fine and have made a great purchase.
rwrden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rwrden
Member since 2003 • 342 Posts
for the most part, yes. I have never had a negative experience with ebay (knocks on wood)
Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts
Best advice I would say...Use Amazon. Two reasons...Shipping. On Ebay people seem to charge whatever the heck they want for Shipping. On Amazon it seems to be more set prices. 2nd is all the paying is automatically down through amazon. No worrying about paypal or anything like that.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
ebay is fine as long as you are cautious. always check feedback, and always use a safe payment method (IE never wire transfer money)
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

Ebay is all about FEEDBACK.

I don't buy anything off Ebay unless the Seller has atleast 500 Feedback scores, a 95%+ Positive Feedback Rating and no negative feedback in the past 12 months.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
It's more of a question of trusting the seller than trusting eBay itself.
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

My otherwise positive experience with ebay has recently been tarnished when some so called seller not only took my money and didn't send me the game I paid for, but he went on to make an unpaid item claim which let to me getting a strike because I had paid by cheque and had no proof.

Also the feedback system is greatly flawed since most byuers are forced into giving positive feedback in fear of reprimand as the vast majority of sellers do not give feedback until they've seen what you gave them, even if you paid immediately and your part of the deal is done.

On the whole i'd say just use it for things you can't get another way, and not ever for anything very expensive.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

It isn't about ebay it is about the seller. I don't think I'd buy expensive hardware off of it. No system at a signifigant discount is likely to be trustworthy. I have bought old games from sellers with large amounts of positve feedback with no issues.

Just remember that the rule "If it is too good to be true, it probabbly is." applies to Ebay as well.

dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
No I don't trust ebay because I know a lot of people who had problems with ebay