Do you think game publishers pay gaming sites for positive reviews?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

venomgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 venomgr
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts

...or pay for strict reviews on competitive titles? (eg FIFA vs PES)

Rhino53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Rhino53
Member since 2008 • 2552 Posts

no.

Anyways, if anybody were to pay a gaming site for good reviews, it would be the publisher (since they have all the money).

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34614 Posts

No. Publishers? Maybe. That would suck really hard, though, and I would hate the publisher for it. Some people claim that some publishers have done this, but I've never been given proof.

venomgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 venomgr

yes, i meant publishers (that makes sense) :-)

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#6 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I don't know if it's payment they receive, but whenever a publication gets an exclusive review, you can almost count on it to have had some sort of shady deal made behind it. Given how often developers and publishers have made such advances toward the press, I'd say that, regardless of whether anyone actually accepts their offers, interference in the review process by developers and publishers is very rampant.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#7 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

What's the point of anything?

Dracula68

damnit now I wanna know.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
only for the reviews i dont agree with.
Peerbreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Peerbreed
Member since 2009 • 224 Posts

They most likely receive payment in some form. Choice tickets to big events, future sneak peeks or fruit baskets lol. I doubt that it's a pure profession. That's why I only read user reviews. Dragon Age II is a great example of why critic vies don't hold any weight imo. Critics give into publisher pay offs and pressure from hype. In the end critics just say what everybody wants them (or pays them) to say.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
I think it's possible, but I would hope for journalistic integrity. Realistically, I would hope that review companies would be afraid of what would happen to them if gamers found out about it.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#12 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I think it's possible, but I would hope for journalistic integrity. Realistically, I would hope that review companies would be afraid of what would happen to them if gamers found out about it.muthsera666

Most are, I think (I assume that's why we don't often hear about any sort of review scandal these days). But there's always been a small subset that accepts deals without care for the consequences, like IGN, for instance, with they're almost constant stream of exclusive reviews. For them, getting extra hits on their Web site (or extra sales for their magazine, which is tad more understandable) is all they care for.

venomgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 venomgr

I believe this cannot happen when we deal with a really good game. A game that "sells itself".

On the other hand, it is possible when the expectations are high for a new release (from screenshots, gameplay videos, ads...), but the final product is a bit of a disappointment (or doesn't meet the standards the players were hoping for).

If i was a publisher, i would know that a bad review would affect sales.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Yes. Other than the Kane & Lynch thing (where pressure was exerted for an unfavourable review) there are a lot of other sites who take coin for scores. Most of them aren't as popular sites, of course.

Most recent one I can think of is The Escapist, who EA paid for a 10/10 Dragon Age 2 score.

More common, however, is publishers only allowing early reviews to be positive, which is almost as deceptive as outright paying for them.

edit - this will always be a problem in the videogame industry because both sides are so reliant on one another. Game review sites need publishers to hand out preview and review code in a timely fashion so that they can get content up, and publishers need the sites to help push their games.

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

Something I'm sure of is timed exclusive contracts with Microsoft.

I'm calling it Skyrim exclusive DLC first to hit Xbox before all systems.

NerdyDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16 NerdyDonut
Member since 2010 • 197 Posts

I do think that there is sometimes a sort of deal that goes on between publishers and magazines/wesbites. Whether that is money or not I couldn't say.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#17 speedfreak48t5p  Online
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

I don't think so. When you see fanboys/gamers over the forums **** over a high score given to a certain game (MGS4, GTA 4), they're just upset that the game didn't get the score THEY think it deserved. So when a reviewer gives a good game a good score or a great game a great score (such as GTA 4), the people who didn't enjoy it make claims of the game publisher bribing the reviewer. The fact is most of these highly acclaimed games are fantastic and deserve the scores, but the ones who can't accept opinions will find any excuse for that high score to try to discredit the reviewer/website/magazine so people don't listen to the review, but instead listen to them.

KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

There's a such thing as journalistic integrity, you know.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I'm sure some sort of shady deal goes down when an individual 'journalist' travels to meet the dev team and play XX game for an exclusive review...sometimes.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I think some publishers do, and after hearing it from a couple of sources, I do believe some do, but not all.
LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

For some people it's a convenient fallacy to avoid tackling a positive review head on. A decent journalist will be able to either reject it, or at least ignore any positive spin by the publishers.

As I've said in threads like this before as an analogy - Motoring journalists are often given cars with all sorts of optional extras. Good journalists will cut through all that rubbish to focus on how good the actual car is.

That's not to say some aren't swayed by such tactics, but in the long run they do themselves more harm than good.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

They pay for add space and sometimes a review site might be own by the same parent company as a game studio and pressured to give positive reviews but I doubt they outright pay review sites for good reviews - when would it end? Would they just pay gamestop and IGN for good reviews while every other site on the net panned their game? Wouldn't make much sense...

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it happened all of the time to be brutally honest.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#24 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I think for some big name reviews like CoD, maybe. About a 40- 60 chance of it. I'm not too big of a conspiracy guy.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts

Usually when a game magazine/website gets an early copy to review before any other sites/magazines they're "hinted" to give a positive review. Reason why is to get the traffic/sales, since a lot of gamers will flock to the site/buy the magazine that has the review.

Other instances are more shady, I remember one gaming review website or magazine was actually paid in prostitutes.

The best example I can offer is PC Player, a scandinavian gaming magazine. They were invited to Westwood studios, before the release of Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun. Treated well, got to meet the actors and lo and behold, Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun gets 10/10. People were outraged since the same magazine gave Starcraft 8/10.

Another great example is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the PC. Compare user reviews with "proffesional" reviews and you will a big difference. The only site I've come across that gave an honest review of Modern Warfare 2 PC, was Ars Technica (they told people to "skip it" and on Black Ops for PC "Wait for patches").

Avatar image for ZombiePhoenix72
ZombiePhoenix72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ZombiePhoenix72
Member since 2010 • 342 Posts

It could always be a poosibility. You never know really. Obviously some publishers like Activision would obviously have enough money to do something like it but other publishers like Nipppon Ichi wouldn't seeing as they were almost bankrupt. I'm not sure about their situation now though.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts

I'm pretty certain that it happens, in some form or another, on some sites. This article on Two Worlds 2's reviews is an interesting read for anyone interested.

Then again, I'm more wary of previews. They're almost always overwhelmingly positive.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
They probably do. Corruption is nothing new.
Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#29 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts

Bribing
The question here is whether publishers have ever or if they regularly bribe writers for positive reviews. The answer here is most assuredly yes; there are simply too many games, publishers, reviewers, and review sites for this not to have happened at some point. There is no internal affairs for game reviewers, after all. :P

Fake Reviews
Further, game publishers are almost certainly populating player reviews with their own glowing praise (or, in the case of competitors, venomous hate). This is well-documented in other markets, so it's most certainly happening here (particularly where video game reviews are highly qualitative).

Conflicts of Interest
Finally, any game site that accepts advertising dollars from a game publisher has a conflict of interest when reviewing their games. Give them a poor review, and they may pull funding. Give them a glowing review for a poor game, and be accused of integrity issues and pandering to sponsors. Your parent firm may or may not be angry (Gerstmann-gate 2007)

The only real way to know if a game is good, then, is to go play it yourself. Still, I like Gamespot's reviews and reviewers.

Boz

Xenrathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#30 Xenrathe
Member since 2005 • 80 Posts

Boz is right. While I personally question whether outright bribes are common, there is no question that a conflict of interest exists between game reviewers and the game companies which pay all their advertising revenue.

Certainly Gamespot had its own controversy with regards to the low Kane & Lynch review that it gave, despite the many advertising dollars that Kane and Lynch's publisher, Eidos, put into the site. Eidos protested and, as a result, the review was changed.The reviewer Jeff Gerstmann was fired (supposedly for reasons not relating to Kane & Lynch's review) and, in protest, four other members of the staff also left. Truth be told, if I didn't prefer Gamespot because of its interface, I wouldn't be here, as I don't particularly trust their reviews, as a result of the above.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

There's a such thing as journalistic integrity, you know.

KillerWabbit23

Money blinds even saints.

OXM, Playstation Magazine and PC gamer are pretty damn obvious anyway.

Tasimb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tasimb
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts

If the game is good and somewhat wellknown, no.

But I bet some lesserpublishers would pay for positive reviews to get their name out.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I don't think they pay them outright, but publishers do spend lots of money advertising on sites, and then there's the whole thing with giving reviewers access to developers for interviews. And of course those relationships are always subject to change if the publisher should become displeased.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Nope, if they did, Ign would have given the 3DS a better review... Since Nintendo has all the money.

Avatar image for charlesdarwin55
charlesdarwin55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 charlesdarwin55
Member since 2010 • 2651 Posts

Ubisoft must have done it with "Assassin's" creed brotherhood. That or... well that.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
Hell yeah they do. Everything is corrupt, especially with big money, which is the gaming biz.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#37 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Nope, if they did, Ign would have given the 3DS a better review... Since Nintendo has all the money.

Gamingclone
Nintendo seems to have been good about paying for coverage, though - up until now they've been riding the nostalgia train, as pretty much every person in employment with the videogame media industry grew up with an NES. But that can only take them so far, and the love has worn off the past few years.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Yes i entirely think they do, otherwise gta 4 would not have been reviewed as such.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts
[QUOTE="Gamingclone"]

DJ_Lae
Nintendo seems to have been good about paying for coverage, though - up until now they've been riding the nostalgia train, as pretty much every person in employment with the videogame media industry grew up with an NES. But that can only take them so far, and the love has worn off the past few years.

What nostalgia train? Nintendo games have been rated high / won countless GOTY awards just based on their consistent stellar quality. However the mentality has shifted from GC's unfair "lets be super critical to Nintendo from now" to unacceptable "Nintendo is doomed" with Wii.
Wii4Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Wii4Fun
Member since 2008 • 1472 Posts

[QUOTE="Gamingclone"]

DJ_Lae

Damnit. I came here hoping not to run into the same stupid nonsense from SWs.

Anyways Op, yeah probably happens every now and then.

It's a good thing I don't care much for reviews.

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts
The size of the publisher and the amount of money they spend on advertisement definately influences the review. Lets not forget what happen to Gamespot's own Jeff Gerstmann and the fallout that followed.
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
I think it's important to remember that the gaming industry is exactly that -- an industry -- and whatever goes on in other industries can certainly go on in this one... even this website is a business -- I mean, it's not a charity thing being run for our amusement and enlightenment is it? -- it's a job (I'm assuming) for the staff and contributors around here which inevitably means that people have to be paid...
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Nope. Claming that someone was bribed is just a way for some to explain the hissyfit they have when a game they like does not get the score they wish it did.

lasseeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lasseeb
Member since 2010 • 1186 Posts

Yes. Especially Gamespot...

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts
They definitely try to occasionally.
A_Mobile_Doll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 A_Mobile_Doll
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

I honestly do think that some of them do.

That's my main reason for putting more weight on the user score than the critic score.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#47 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

I don't think so unless a game is super overrated like COD IMO which is nothing but a rehashed of the same game. But sites like to deny that don't get payed to do a review but I think there is some conspiracy behind that.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts
they pay sites for adds, but that's not supposed to influence reviews, but I'm sure there's a lot of **wink-wink** going on, after all remember all that fuss that came when that one GS reviewer was fired for his review of Kane & Lynch when Eidos had purchased a substantial amount of add-space on the the site
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

I honestly do think that some of them do.

That's my main reason for putting more weight on the user score than the critic score.

A_Mobile_Doll
User scores on any one game consist of lots of 1's and 10's and the text themselves range from a piece of crap to timeless masterpiece.
EXEraserVS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 EXEraserVS
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts

Probably. But it's best not to know. By the way, I hate review embargoes! :x