Do you pay much attention to graphics?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kakha_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 kakha_96
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I was just wondering do you pay much attention to graphics? Is good graphics obligatory for ar good game?
For me good graphics is good but i don't pay much attention to graphics.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
I don't need good graphics to enjoy a game, they are a bonus that I can appreciate though.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I don't until usually my second run through the game, when the flaws start to become really noticable and I actually start to actively look out for them.

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Said it before and I'll say it again. NieR is one of my favorite games ever.

So no I don't pay attention to graphics.:D

xxmatt125xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xxmatt125xx
Member since 2005 • 1899 Posts
I think they matter when they take away from the gameplay experience, for me a lot of it comes down to the artstyle the game uses. If the graphics match what the game sets out to do then they are doing their job.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

if the visual;s and art sytle are really.. really bad such as say in the case of the elder scrolls I arnea.. then i care a cluster---- of pixels is not what i came to see. this being said i can tolerate older visuals and still think daggerfall, arena's sequel is the best and msot open world of open world rpg's and lol at the fact that no one has EVER been able to get as close to that size (you can fit two azeroths(wow) in daggerfall)

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

Its the first thing you see, so yeah. Art style is as important as well...

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Considering it's what I do for a living...yeah, I do pay attention. :P

I still enjoy plenty of games with terrible graphics, but I always appreciate it when a game has some extra visual quality or charm.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

No, I'm a fan of gameplay, depth, customization and complexity.

However, I do notice and appreciate good graphics when they are present.

Masamune_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Masamune_Wolf
Member since 2011 • 108 Posts

I believe it's an important element to any video game and I do enjoy taking a moment to appreciate great graphics during gameplay (especially in games like Red Dead Redemption and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow)

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Art style comes first, but I definitely pay attention to the graphics, yeah. Will I play/stop playing a game based on graphics alone? Not likely at all.
Novemberrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Novemberrr
Member since 2011 • 163 Posts
If a game has exceptional graphics, I take notice of course..but I don't ever pick a game because it's got shinier graphics then a game that has better gameplay.
enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

The main aspect for me is gameplay so no.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Yea definitely I pay attention to them. I'd like all games to look as good as possible. That doesn't keep me from playing ugly or old games, but I'm not blind so I like good looking stuff too.
MaskJackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 MaskJackal
Member since 2011 • 86 Posts

I'll notice if a game has exceptional aesthetics, but graphics do not matter to me at this point, and haven't mattered for 5 or 6 years. The technical capabilities have just gotten to the point where it's almost useless to put money into it anymore.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#16 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Very much so. Though I'm particularly sensistive to two things - resolution and framerate. If the framerate constantly drops, it drives me insane. And if the resolution is sub-HD, it also drives me nuts as it looks considerably chunkier and blurrier than other games. Call of Duty is basically unplayable to me as a result, even though its framerate is relatively stable. It just looks like someone's smeared vasoline on my TV. (for similar reasons, I have no interest in touching lower resolution ports such as GTAIV or Red Dead Redemption on the PS3)
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I still play games from the 90s, like Fallout 1 and 2, but modern games have redefined graphics from just visuals to things like physics and such which do infact change gameplay. So yes, I do, but it's not a turn off for me unless it looks unappealing for its release time

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

At first glance, of course. The visual appeal, whether it's a graphical powerhouse or an artistic game, it's the first thing you will notice. Then comes story, gameplay, characters, voice acting, controls, and everything else.. At the end of the day, graphics don't matter as much as the other elements of a game though. I still play older games.

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

graphics arent as important as gameplay...but wat is important to me graphics wise is optimization...if i can max crysis 2 w/dx11 and hi res textures at my native with acceptable frames...why cant i max da2 dx11 hi res textures...especially since its not amazing looking to begin with...a game should perform on par with its graphics...also...on console id rather have steady frames than that extra blur or lens flare or particle effect...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

Graphics and presentation are crucial to an enjoyable gaming experience. Despite what idealists would tell you, they do matter. What would be more enjoyable: Skyrim using Doom visuals and animations or using today's standards? Gameplay is paramount but presentation is not far behind.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44179 Posts
Absolutely. While they don't have to be the best of the best for me to enjoy the game they do have to be somewhat appealing to me so that I'll want to play the game. This can be either on a technical or artistic level.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Graphics is just as important as gameplay.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

considering i am finding chrono trigger and ff7,8,9 to be better than most of the games i recently been playing, eventhough, i wouldnt mind if they made the graphics look like ff13

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Seeing as I'm the type who likes to admire gaming environments, yeah, I pay attention to the graphics.....though not necessarily for the sake of scrutiny. But because I actually do like to look at the environments, if I see an unusually blocky texture, I sometimes think "hmm.....they probably could've done that a little better" :P

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#25 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

yeah, graphics are very important to me. the visuals in a game need to evoke something. it might be the dangerous vanity of bioshock depicted with current generation hardware power or it might be the absurd animations of super mario bros, but graphics are integral to my gameplay experience. i think of okami and how it would feel if my brush strokes werent visible in nature or if my vanquishing of the pollutants didnt give way to gorgeous soft colors and nature in bloom. it just wouldnt play right at all.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
Of course I do. Everyone does. But, as has been said before, graphics aren't everything.
Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

The way I see it is that I can excuse bad graphics if the games other assets are enough to entertain me. For the last two months, the DS has been my most-played system, so I don't care that much.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts
I prefers 3rd person view games with cool songs!
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
I do if the settings need tweaking. Defaults aren't always the best.
ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

Graphics and presentation are crucial to an enjoyable gaming experience. Despite what idealists would tell you, they do matter. What would be more enjoyable: Skyrim using Doom visuals and animations or using today's standards? Gameplay is paramount but presentation is not far behind.

MirkoS77

As long as the game itself is better than Oblivion, I don't really care about the shiny visuals. Why do you think lots of people still prefer Morrowind over Oblivion, lemme give you a hint, it's not the fancy graphics.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

As long as the graphics are good / very good, that's fine with me. If it comes to spending several thousand hours to take the graphics from very good to fantastic, I'd much rather they spend that time adding more environments, fine tuning the gameplay, adding more missions to the single player campaign, fixing all the bugs, etc.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I don't care much about the technical aspects of a game's visuals, but if the artistic design is dull or unimaginative then it may hinder my ability to enjoy the game.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Graphics are everything, but I do prefer them to be easy on the eye. I don't want anything that looks too horrendous to the point where I can't focus on the game.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I care more about the style that they use. A game can have great graphics but be just ugly.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

no. Gameplay is more important than graphics, though it helps the overall game to have something pleasent to look at. At the same time, you can have basic graphics and amazing game play. (Frozen Synapse)

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

I dont need good graphics to enjoy a game. That being said I hate that progress in terms of graphics has been slowed to a crawl because of old console hardware.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

ArchonOver

As long as the game itself is better than Oblivion, I don't really care about the shiny visuals. Why do you think lots of people still prefer Morrowind over Oblivion, lemme give you a hint, it's not the fancy graphics.

All things being equal in terms of gameplay, a game with better graphics is more enjoyable than one without.

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

I think people are lieing if they say that they pay absolutely no attention to graphics...I mean really?

Sure you may not be someone that really cares too much about graphics. But to say that you can play a game and not even notice or be bothered with how great/terrible they are, then I find that hard to believe.

Zaki-abdel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zaki-abdel
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
i think graphics are not so omportant if you find a good gameplay that you enjoy...........
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I don't need good graphics if the game is perfect in all other ways (like Demon's Souls) but in other cases graphics have always been the most important thing in a game for me.

xdeathpandax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 xdeathpandax
Member since 2010 • 170 Posts

Awesome graphics are not essential but they do help you enjoy the experience more. You only have to look at the likes of Chrono Trigger - it is an awesome game story wise, mechanics wise and music wise, but graphically it is OK. I would accept a remake of this game with open arms if it was created with today's technology.

The-Gunzerker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The-Gunzerker
I'd be a hypocrite to say that I don't, but just because it's not state-of-the-art doesn't mean that it's going to make or break a game.
Phelion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Phelion
If game is good, playable and viral GFX doesnt matter
Gsmith92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#44 Gsmith92
Member since 2008 • 275 Posts

Graphics are pretty much the last thing I think about, yeah it's the first part of the game you experience, but it's a game, it's not all about the visuals, if it were a movie it would probably bother me alot more, as long as the game has a great story, gameplay, atmosphere, etc. I'll play it

I haven't played my 360 in a few weeks because i've spent my time playing through the N64 and GC Zelda games, the games are amazing and you won't hear me complaining about graphics on otherwise flawless games, I don't let it ruin my experience, but sometimes it can help make it better (Crysis 2)

XeroEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#45 XeroEX
Member since 2008 • 495 Posts

I'm not too picky about graphics, but I don't want it to be bad either. What I care about most is gameplay.

fred1712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 fred1712
Member since 2005 • 1220 Posts

No, but nowadays, its kind of an essential. The only delevopers I see not caring about graphics is indie developers, and they make some of the best games ever.

Freak2121GTAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 Freak2121GTAF
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

I play Dwarf Fortress and Daggerfall regularly, so I can live without better graphics, though I always welcome it.

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

[QUOTE="ArchonOver"]

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

MirkoS77

All things being equal in terms of gameplay, a game with better graphics is more enjoyable than one without.

true that...but hardly ever are games equal in everyway but graphics...my fav fps games of all time are ut99 and quake3 arena...id play a match of those games anyday before id play crysis 2 mp or blops...or even cs:source...id rather better gameplay with slightly worse graphics...

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#49 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Good graphics are a nice bonus but not necassary for a good game.

RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts
I like 'em pretty as much as the next guy, but all these old games I've been "obtaining" lately have their own charm as well. You know? The terrible sound quality and grainy graphics of Genesis games are great, they are a part of the experience. Any attempt to make them look "better" or sound better just makes me feel like something is missing.