Do games have less staying power now?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darkknight9174

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 darkknight9174
Member since 2011 • 247 Posts

Is the effective lifespan of a game much less than it used to be 2, 5, 10 years ago? I remember when Halo 2 came out that the active population (at least seemed to be) was large for years. Now, the active population for a game like Halo 4, Battlefield 4, etc. drops off significantly within a couple months.

For single player experiences, I remember back in the day playing the game game over and over again for years, even if I had already beaten it. Seems like these days most people run through it once and then are done forever.

So do games these days have less staying power? Do gamers get bored more easily now? Is there just so much more out there to play that people move on to something else faster? Or, has it always been this way and my perception has just changed now that I'm out in the real, post-college world?

3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2  Edited By 3eyedrazorback
Member since 2005 • 16380 Posts

I feel like there is just such an extreme amount of blockbuster type games that come out so close to each other. I don't think it's that gamers get bored, it's that the change of pace that happens when switching games is almost a breath of fresh air. You have 3-4 big name games come out around the same time, it's bound to happen.

darkknight9174

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By darkknight9174
Member since 2011 • 247 Posts

@3eyedrazorback: I feel like what you're saying is the most common explanation. It seems like big name blockbuster titles are released with much greater regularity these days. Also, the amount of them out there compared to the "good old days" seems much higher.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

Mario Kart has staying power. :) So does Smash.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

TES games have definite staying power. They'll modding the shit out of those games for years to come.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Halo 3 still has a following.

The problem is most games just aren't good. COD and Battlefield campaigns are laughable, and Skyrim is just too fckng long doing the same thing over and over again.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

I think most people move on quickly these days not because they're bored but because there are so many great games coming out, I know I do. There's been numerous games that I could have easily kept playing and enjoying had there not been so many other excellent games that I wanted to experience as well.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

You mean longevity simple too many games too much competition. Other reason is that casuals are fickle.

Personally, its the case of been here done that so a lot of stuff today don't keep me interested.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@notorious1234na said:

You mean longevity simple too many games too much competition. Other reason is that casuals are fickle.

Personally, its the case of been here done that so a lot of stuff today don't keep me interested.

Most gamers are fickle.