Did graphics ruin gaming?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I don't think games only get better at graphics. Look at the evolution of the BF series for example; The games is much better on a lot of aspect.

ThatsNotMyName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 ThatsNotMyName
Member since 2015 • 84 Posts

@phoenix5352 said:

@thatsnotmyname: yes , agreed on that, mgs 5 did screw up the story, which is actually the main part of the series, but when it comes to graphics and game play it has done a pretty good job. but it doesn't look like that in the pursuit of graphics they have spoiled the story, it is mostly because of the konami and kojima issues

Lol yeah KONAMI even cut real ending from game with whole "Kojima got fired" thing. One with Eli/Liquid Snake that got cut. and also some other things too.Still at same time we can all kinda agree that all money that Kojima blew on well focusing camera on "ass & tities" of Quiet, he could have used it for more in game content. I never mind fanservices don't take me wrong lol however in this case mostly because of that fanservice budget got blown up, Kojima fired and we got incomplete "last game".....so in this case I would prefer less fanservice and more game of course. Gameplay is still addictive though to lose some hours.....but it seriously doesn't feel like MGS game with lack of story and some weirdness on side that we all love MGS for and if it ain't weird well it ain't true MGS xD the most ol' classical mgs moment was 'Kaz's hamburgers' lol plus surprise at end medic part or as I call it 'Raiden 2 case'(well at least we didn't get called every second by annoying Rose....though would pay to see Boss running without any clothes x'D).

It is seriously shame because I'm hardcore fan of MGS, that game is my childhood afterall so this was game I was most looking forward too and well....'KONAMI Vs Kojima Products' messed game up a bit. Oh well as I said many times, "last game" in Hideo langue means "there shall be next one" ;)

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

@thatsnotmyname: yes they might or might not bring a new game or may be a remake of the first game where solid snake stopped big boss, i hope they bring something .

Avatar image for deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
deactivated-58183aaaa31d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54  Edited By deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
Member since 2015 • 2238 Posts

@jKryptonite: I say definitely. The trend towards better visuals and the trend towards worse games have definitely mirrored each other. Whether one truly caused the other is up for debate but I personally think it is.

When you look at games like Crysis 1 - 3 which are quite frankly heaping piles of shit and yet everyone gave them ultimate praise because they look great.

Games these days are trending towards becoming tech demos. They strive to push the shiny visuals to the max but offer very little else. At best some of them are shiny graphics with a great story and end up as basically a six hour interactive movie with zero re-playability.

Yet you also get games such as Witcher 3 which was slammed by much of the PC community on release because it didn't have the graphics they were hoping for and which for me turned into the best game I've played on my PS4 to date.

Games are designed to be played. The key word there being "played". Not looked at. Not hardware pushing. PLAYED. When you are playing a game you need to enjoy the act of playing. Be it smooth movements in action games, physics in racing games, great worlds and NPCs in RPGs. Becoming immersed in a game like Oblivion even on 360 was easy despite the textures being plain. But crappy dialogue and boring missions is a deal breaker. Which was my experience in Skyrim.

Graphics are at a stage now where honestly they are good enough. Cars look like cars, people look like people. They need to get back to putting the awesome stories and world design back into games along with awesome gameplay.

Leave the technology pushing and photorealism to boring Nvidia tech demos and PC hardware enthusiasts.

Games will get better looking but they shouldn't get better at the expense of gameplay and world design.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#55 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

I think people are trying to pick up some sort of correlation between higher graphics and lower game play

I think there is a bigger trend with what the marketing teams are trying to do. It's get a bigger player base. When you are a company that has a potential consumer base who are relatively poor, you don't market the high price of the game, you market how it's low. Likewise, I think these companies are trying to get a bigger untapped consumer base; it seems visuals are a good selling point. You can't really tell a consumer who has never brought your product to play a game because it's better than the last; it's easier to explain how good the visuals are and the immersion.