Dear god, Silent Hill 2 is AWFUL!

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#51 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

I've played through SH2 4 times in a row on my PC, so I guess you could say I'm pretty much in-love with the game. SH2 is by far the best SH game, and one of the best survival horror game out-there. yes, the combat is boring and a bit broken, but you dont play this sort of game for the combat, its not F.E.A.R or RE, its Silent hill - the horror is not something you can see, its all around you when you walk through the foggy town.

both RE3 and RE4 were a pile of dog crap if you ask me. no real scares to be found anywhere in both games. although RE invented the phrase "survival horror", I hardly see it as one. too combat orianted and pretty much all survival and no horror.

I can understand why some people wouldn't line the SH sereis (for the same reason a lot of people dont like adventure games). it has been said b4 - you either love silent hill or you hate it, there is no inbetween, so I see your point about the camera and combat, but hey, I wont let these minor flaws ruin one of the best horror games out there.

dark_being

you didn't play silent hill games. That's all what i'm going to say :)

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

No you missed what I was saying, there is no genre. They are all action adventure games, all of them RE, SH, Fatal Frame. Your qualification for this "survival horror" seems to be how scary it is, thats it. You arequestioninga mans view on what makes a game qualify for survival horror, when your view isnt exactly shared by everyone. To me they are all games and should be judged as a game, and I dont think there is much of a contest when it comes to which game series is better RE or SH.

dvader654

I think survival horror games are a genre and I expect horror from them. But given your disbelief in the genre, your positon (that horror is immaterial) makes sense.

As for RE, its merits as a survival horror game aside, it clung to stupid conventions for too long (the fact the fully polygonal RE: CV boasted the same fixed near useless cameras as its partially prerendered predecessors was insane) but I really enjoyed RE2 and 4.

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

I thought rebirth ending was the best. Check videos...

Anyways, that disacouraged me to go through the game once again... That and the bland and boring game-play!

I also want to point out that the number of "This door is locked" Has been reduced in SH3.

gamingqueen

When I say "best" ending....I mean the ending that would be consider the "happiest" or "good" ending for your character......which the only one SH2 is definitely the Leave ending.

Even in terms of which ending was the most satisfying to me as a player, I definitely thought the Leave ending was by far the most satisfying and provides the best resolution in that...

[spoiler] James gets one last heartfelt goodbye with Mary's spirit in which Mary forgives James for killing her (even though it was a mercy killing) and James agrees to fullfill Mary's last wish of adopting the little girl Laura, and both James and Laura leave Silent Hill safely. You also get to hear Mary's real and complete letter with this ending. [/spoiler]

VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#55 VMan
Member since 2003 • 4940 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

No you missed what I was saying, there is no genre. They are all action adventure games, all of them RE, SH, Fatal Frame. Your qualification for this "survival horror" seems to be how scary it is, thats it. You arequestioninga mans view on what makes a game qualify for survival horror, when your view isnt exactly shared by everyone. To me they are all games and should be judged as a game, and I dont think there is much of a contest when it comes to which game series is better RE or SH.

CarnageHeart

I think survival horror games are a genre and I expect horror from them. But given your disbelief in the genre, your positon (that horror is immaterial) makes sense.

As for RE, its merits as a survival horror game aside, it clung to stupid conventions for too long (the fact the fully polygonal RE: CV boasted the same fixed near useless cameras as its partially prerendered predecessors was insane) but I really enjoyed RE2 and 4.

My views are pretty much in line with dvader's. You can't argue that "Survival Horror" isn't just a term Capcom made up to give Resident Evil's gameplay some distinguishable appeal because its a fact. But I look at Resident Evil and Fatal Frame, just like I do Silent Hill (which is why I compared them), as action/adventure games with horror themes. When you really look hard at gameplay and think about what you're doing in each of them, you can see the core similarities (style of exploration, puzzles, boss fights, cinematics just to name a few) and I don't see how you cold legitimately argue otherwise.

They are all action/adventure games with horror themes. Tomb Raider is an action/adventure series traditionally with a theme or exploring/raiding tombs, dungeons, etc, but i'm not gonna label it in a genre all its own just because of that fact. Shenmue is an action/adventure game with a cinematic martial arts theme, but i'm not gonna say its genre is "Martial Arts Adventure" just because of that.

What distinguishes the games in our context of discourse from each other is exactly how the theme of horror is incorporated into the gameplay, and you've made a comparison already that I agree with. Indeed, Resident Evil's horror approach has typically been instances of "shock" moments (infected dogs jumping through a window when you're not even expecting it and chasing you down, walking past a window and having a zombie punch through and grab you, being continually stalked by an outrageously mutated person who can run fast and burst through doors, and lots not forget the particular enemy in REmake that was very similar to Pyramid Head).

Whereas Silent Hill's (and admittedly this is judging from the first two installments but I have played the "The Room" demo and it didn't seem much different) approach has been through creating a tense and creepy atmosphere and horrifying environements. You're typically in an atmosphere with low visibility often with eerie sound effects or just plain dead silence until here static from your radio indicating a monster is close by.

Fatal Frame's approach to horror is much more than just trying to take shots of ghosts (I really think you should play the whole game before you make a full judgement on it. An example is the fact that camera work gets quite tense as you near harder, faster and trickier ghosts later in the, but you wouldn't know that from a demo) Its more similar to Silent Hill its approach emphasizes atmosphere, only it does in a way that is MUCH scarier than Silent Hill to me.

Now all that being said, when you compared the 3 in terms of quality, I rank Silent Hill dead last in terms of enjoyment and *scariness. Now I the reason for the asterisk next to scariness is because i'm trying to be fair to the series even though i've yet be truly impressed by it. I have only played the first two games and a sample of the 4th, but so far, i've had much more fun playing Resident Evil and Fatal Frame while I found Silent Hill to be ultimately boring. The amount that Fatal Frame scared me easily trumps the rest. And i've found the original Resident Evil back in its prime on PS-x when I was much younger (which could've been why) as well as REmake to be scarier than anything i've played of Silent Hill thus far. I guess to put it accurately and bluntly, Silent Hill has only ever made me feel tense, never scared.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 gamingqueen
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

I thought rebirth ending was the best. Check videos...

Anyways, that disacouraged me to go through the game once again... That and the bland and boring game-play!

I also want to point out that the number of "This door is locked" Has been reduced in SH3.

Robnyc22

When I say "best" ending....I mean the ending that would be consider the "happiest" or "good" ending for your character......which the only one SH2 is definitely the Leave ending.

Even in terms of which ending was the most satisfying to me as a player, I definitely thought the Leave ending was by far the most satisfying and provides the best resolution in that...

No two spoiler boxes in one post! I get it!

The rebirth ending...[spoiler] is when James is sitting near the river with Mary's body besides him and he uses something to resurruct her after he killed her in the final battle [/spoiler]

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 CarnageHeart

Fatal Frame's approach to horror is much more than just trying to take shots of ghosts (I really think you should play the whole game before you make a full judgement on it. An example is the fact that camera work gets quite tense as you near harder, faster and trickier ghosts later in the, but you wouldn't know that from a demo) Its more similar to Silent Hill its approach emphasizes atmosphere, only it does in a way that is MUCH scarier than Silent Hill.

VMan

I never said anything about the challenge (or lack thereof) of the camerawork, just that the concept is boring. But if you enjoy Kodaking your enemies more than anything else, good for you.

VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 VMan

[QUOTE="VMan"]

Fatal Frame's approach to horror is much more than just trying to take shots of ghosts (I really think you should play the whole game before you make a full judgement on it. An example is the fact that camera work gets quite tense as you near harder, faster and trickier ghosts later in the, but you wouldn't know that from a demo) Its more similar to Silent Hill its approach emphasizes atmosphere, only it does in a way that is MUCH scarier than Silent Hill.

CarnageHeart

I never said anything about the challenge (or lack thereof) of the camerawork, just that the concept is boring. But if you enjoy Kodaking your enemies more than anything else, good for you.

No no no, my point is I don't think you're judging the game fairly because you're basing it on a demo, which is a mere snapshot of the game. You've only played a demo which means you have very limited experience with the system. It'd be just as easy for me to say "Oh I played a demo of Silent Hill 2 in which you play the portion of the game at beginnng when you travel into town to the first apartment building. Nothing happened, I just walked through a misty town and beat down some monster with a hammer. This concept of this game is boring" Thats not fair because there is obviously more to the game than that. You sidestepped my point when you said you weren't making any mention of the "challenge(or lack thereof)". Part of my point is that because you don't have much experience with it, you wouldn't even know how the growing complexities of the system affect the combat gameplay later on in the game. And how can you judge the lack of challenge when you haven't even experienced just how challenging it can get? And I may as well as ask this as you seem to be using its method of combat in a degrading manner, especially in the context of comparison to Silent Hill. Since you feel you've played enough of Fatal Frame to fully judge its combat system, do you feel Silent Hill's combat is much better?

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#59 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

No two spoiler boxes in one post! I get it!

The rebirth ending... ***removed spoiler box***

gamingqueen

[spoiler] Not exactly. He is not sitting with her body near a river. He's taking a boat over the lake to either the Northern section of Silent Hill (the area where SH1 takes place) or to an island in the center of the lake, so that he can seek out the "Old Gods" of the town and resurrect her using four items he found throughout the game. You achieve it by finding these items hidden in specific locations throughout the town. These aren't available in your first game. They are only found after beating the game once, and achieving any of the three possible endings for the first playthrough. [/spoiler]

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts
I really liked SH2 when it came out better than SH3, I tried playing it again a few months back and the game hasn't aged well, the controls don't help at the same time. I think its that, the game heavily relies on atmosphere, not the gameplay mechanics, if you take away that, then it will be easy to sit and think what the fuss was all about.
princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#61 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts
Don't go into playing Silent Hill expecting to walk away loving the combat system and the controls. Those, by far, are the worst parts of the game....actually the series. Silent Hill 2 is my favorite out of the series because of the awesome story and the whole vibe of the game. If you can't get passed the combat and the controls then you are really missing out. Sorry.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 gamingqueen

Don't go into playing Silent Hill expecting to walk away loving the combat system and the controls. Those, by far, are the worst parts of the game....actually the series. Silent Hill 2 is my favorite out of the series because of the awesome story and the whole vibe of the game. If you can't get passed the combat and the controls then you are really missing out. Sorry. princesszelda

But the vibe is the same as every silent hill game...

Anyways @skylock: the point is that was the best ending :P! Now you tell that to the other poster!

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 CarnageHeart
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="VMan"]

VMan

No no no, my point is I don't think you're judging the game fairly because you're basing it on a demo, which is a mere snapshot of the game. You've only played a demo which means you have very limited experience with the system. It'd be just as easy for me to say "Oh I played a demo of Silent Hill 2 in which you play the portion of the game at beginnng when you travel into town to the first apartment building. Nothing happened, I just walked through a misty town and beat down some monster with a hammer. This concept of this game is boring" Thats not fair because there is obviously more to the game than that. You sidestepped my point when you said you weren't making any mention of the "challenge(or lack thereof)". Part of my point is that because you don't have much experience with it, you wouldn't even know how the growing complexities of the system affect the combat gameplay later on in the game. And how can you judge the lack of challenge when you haven't even experienced just how challenging it can get? And I may as well as ask this as you seem to be using its method of combat in a degrading manner, especially in the context of comparison to Silent Hill. Since you feel you've played enough of Fatal Frame to fully judge its combat system, do you feel Silent Hill's combat is much better?

As I pointed out in my prior post, I didn't reach any conclusions about the game's difficulty based on the demo (many demos are easier than the final game) so I honestly fail to understand your insistence that I have. I also didn't say anything about the complexity of the system (I'm sure zoom and whatever else come into play). The problem is that it is just ridiculous to kodak something to death. Its kind of like making a game where one's hairstyle is the determining factor in fights ('mullets work well against giants, but dreadlocks are more effective against flying enemies'). Sure, the system could boast quite a bit of complexity, but its just so inherently ridiculous its hard to take seriously.

stjimmy222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#64 stjimmy222
Member since 2007 • 288 Posts
Valid reasons but I regard it as the best one in the series.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#65 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I enjoyed Silent Hill 1 and 2 :)

Its always been a series that is more about the story/atmosphere and characters then gameplay imo

princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#66 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts

[QUOTE="princesszelda"]Don't go into playing Silent Hill expecting to walk away loving the combat system and the controls. Those, by far, are the worst parts of the game....actually the series. Silent Hill 2 is my favorite out of the series because of the awesome story and the whole vibe of the game. If you can't get passed the combat and the controls then you are really missing out. Sorry. gamingqueen

But the vibe is the same as every silent hill game...

Anyways @skylock: the point is that was the best ending :P! Now you tell that to the other poster!

You are right about that. I guess SH2 has a soft spot in my heart because I thought it was so much better than the very first SH. I totally understand why SH isn't people's cup of tea, but I think those people are missing out on some good story telling.

flubagalub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67 flubagalub
Member since 2006 • 442 Posts
[QUOTE="VMan"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="VMan"]

CarnageHeart

As I pointed out in my prior post, I didn't reach any conclusions about the game's difficulty based on the demo (many demos are easier than the final game) so I honestly fail to understand your insistence that I have. I also didn't say anything about the complexity of the system (I'm sure zoom and whatever else come into play). The problem is that it is just ridiculous to kodak something to death. Its kind of like making a game where one's hairstyle is the determining factor in fights ('mullets work well against giants, but dreadlocks are more effective against flying enemies'). Sure, the system could boast quite a bit of complexity, but its just so inherently ridiculous its hard to take seriously.

Have you ever read 'IT' By Stephen King? Just because the monster tends to appear as a clown doesn't mean it's not scary. And it's the same with Fatal Frame. Something which might sound 'silly' to you can actually be very scary if used right.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 CarnageHeart

Have you ever read 'IT' By Stephen King? Just because the monster tends to appear as a clown doesn't mean it's not scary. And it's the same with Fatal Frame. Something which might sound 'silly' to you can actually be very scary if used right.

flubagalub

Inbetween IT, The Joker and Sweet Tooth (not to mention the real life killer John Wayne Gacy) I would be the last guy to argue that clowns cannot be scary, but I don't see what that has to do with Fatal Frame.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#69 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I havent played a Silent Hill game beyond the first one back in the PS1 days, (which I loved) but I did just pick up Silent Hill 3 for the PS2, is that one of the better ones in the series?
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 CarnageHeart

I havent played a Silent Hill game beyond the first one back in the PS1 days, (which I loved) but I did just pick up Silent Hill 3 for the PS2, is that one of the better ones in the series?GodModeEnabled

SH3 is my favorite game in the series (great monsters and a strong, well acted story). Its also worth nothing that plotwise, it ties into SH1.

taylor12702003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 taylor12702003
Member since 2005 • 254 Posts
I enjoyed all of the silent hill games.
VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 VMan
[QUOTE="VMan"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="VMan"]

CarnageHeart

Allow me to clarify further. My original purpose who bringing up the full flesh of Fatal Frame's combat was an attempt to help you understand that, once again, you cannot fairly judge it as you've only sampled it. The increasing complexities and challenges of combat were just examples of ways in which battles can ultimately get more interesting than what you sampled of it. You evidently took that as me saying (and correct me if i'm wrong) what you played of it as easy and that its gets more challenging while mentioning that you feel the concept is boring. The challenge factor is emphasized because it can have a direct effect on the amount of tense felt by the player, thus the intensity, and ultimately, scariness of it. What i'm trying to say to you is that you don't know the true quality of the battle system because you haven't experienced it all. What you played of it may have been boring, but you don't know how you may have liked or disliked it in its full form.

You may think what you're doing is rediculous and (i'm assuming) not scary, but how do you know there is no potential for that when you haven't even seen all the ghosts, how they try to attack you, the ways you have to attack them, and sometimes how frantic you must get to do so? Sure it may seem like nothing short of rediculous to you, but honestly try to imagine yourself (in real life as yourself) in an extremely dark and narrow hallway being stalked by a ghost with her eyes gouged out that you can't necessarily keep track of through the camera lens because she has the ability to go through walls and warp around. Your heart is pounding as you hear her wailing in the darkness how she has no eyes. You pull up your camera and rotate around in a circle seeing nothing until suddenly BOOM, there she is point blank in front of you staring at you with bloody crevices where eyeballs used to be and grabs you.

But that attempt to make a point aside, what I was trying to say is that there are ghosts that behave differently, attack you differently, and you must fight differently, and the manner in which that happens can be at least entertaining if not scary. But again, you wouldn't know how you'd ultimately feel about it because you haven't even experienced that.

I say this to you with respect. I honestly don't mean to offend you but I have to say this because this is what it comes down to. If you've indeed only played a demo and not through the full game, then your judgement on the game, simply by nature, is ultimately ill-informed and shallow. Your use of the word "rediculous" in this context is also ignorant by similar virtue. I can easily call a lot of gameplay mechanics "rediculous". I can say standing at the end of a long hallway and pumping lead into a super slow-moving zombie in Resident Evil rediculous, heck, I can say the same for Silent Hill. I can say picking up a health pack in a FPS and suddenly having all your gunshots wounds erased away rediculous, I can say Mario eating mushroom and growing bigger, then shrinking if he gets "touched" by a turtle rediculous, I can say taking turns performing actions in a battle in an RPG is rediculous, I can say doing a air-juggle combo in a Dead or Alive or Virtua Fighter is rediculous, heck, I may as well say a lot of games in general are rediculous.

And appealing to flubagalub's point. I could watch 5 minutes of IT the clown and conclude, "Oh c,mon man. That clown is so supposed to be scary in this movie? REDICULOUS!"

That, my friend, is pretty much exactly what you're doing. That is the point I, and I believe flubagalub is trying to make.

Now for what its worth, it was not my original intent for my argument to be based so much on Fatal Frame's battle system. You can recall from my original post on the matter that Fatal Frame's approach of creating horror is, similar to Silent Hill, atmosphere, and that encompasses more than just battling the ghosts in the game. Let me restate this:

"Fatal Frame's approach to horror is much more than just trying to take shots of ghosts"

And thats not something you can truly discover and experience through just a demo.

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

I havent played a Silent Hill game beyond the first one back in the PS1 days, (which I loved) but I did just pick up Silent Hill 3 for the PS2, is that one of the better ones in the series?GodModeEnabled

Silent Hill 3 is my second favorite game in the series, next to the original, mainly for the excellent way it ties into the storyline of the original game (if you got the Good+ ending or Good ending in the original SH).

Another reason I like it is that the combat is a little better, not much, but still an improvement....the graphics, even for the PS2 version, were the strongest in the series to date (even better then SH4), and I also like the protagonist (Heather) the most out of any other protagonist in the series......finally with SH3 you don't have to worry about minor actions effecting your ending out of nowhere since SH3 is more straightforward and only has one real ending on your first playthough.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#74 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]I havent played a Silent Hill game beyond the first one back in the PS1 days, (which I loved) but I did just pick up Silent Hill 3 for the PS2, is that one of the better ones in the series?Robnyc22

Silent Hill 3 is my second favorite game in the series, next to the original, mainly for the excellent way it ties into the storyline of the original game (if you got the Good+ ending or Good ending in the original SH).

Another reason I like it is that the combat is a little better, not much, but still an improvement....the graphics, even for the PS2 version, were the strongest in the series to date (even better then SH4), and I also like the protagonist (Heather) the most out of any other protagonist in the series......finally with SH3 you don't have to worry about minor actions effecting your ending out of nowhere since SH3 is more straightforward and only has one real ending on your first playthough.

Sweet I look forward to trying it out sometime soon I have a survival horror itch at the moment. I will try and pick up Silent 2 and 4 later this year as well but I have to wait to find them in the used section at EB.
kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#75 kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts

I like silent hill 2 and it's creepy and suspenseful