Crysis Demo Impressions

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Last night I downloaded the Crysis single-player demo, but I wasn't able to play it until today - and that's pretty much what I've been doing all day, it's awesome. After I finished the demo a few hours ago, I logged into GameSpot to write down my impressions, but just decided to go back and play some more. It's that good. Considering how it looks and what's going on in the environment, it's very well optimized. It doesn't run nearly as smooth as Call of Duty 4 on my PC (Athlon 64 3000+, 1,5 GB of RAM, 7900GS 256MB), but after tinkering with the settings a bit, I've managed to make it run very well with most settings on medium and a few on high at 1024x768.

The demo starts off with a breifing aboard a transport airplane. The squad is supposed to parachute down to a tropical island somwhere near the Phillippines. The gameplay started as I jumped out of the aircraft, flying through the clouds I could see the entire island. Itwasjust before dawn so the visibility wasn't that great. Somethingwent wrong with the parachute and I ended up crashing in the water. The nanosuit basically saved my life. I swam to shore and upon reaching it I noticed a giant turtle on the sand. I picked it up and hurled it into the water like a big rock. As I made my way through the jungle to reach the rendez-vous, I encountered a couple of North Korean soldiers. They were almost invisible in the brush, if you don't pay attention to your radar and subtle movements, they're extremely hard to notice. If they get caught in the crosshair, they'll be highlighted to make it a bit easier.

After meeting with the other guy, I was tasked to destroy some sort of GPS jamming device. At this point, the sun was starting to rise and the light was breaking through the trees and as I reached a clearing, I saw the rising sun, the beach and the ocean below me...it looked spectacular. The moment was ruined as I realized that I've made myself visible to the enemy which immediately called for backup. Enemy fire came from the patrolling boats, from the shacks below, and a jeep with a machine gun came by as well. I died fast. So I decided upon a different approach. I tried to take out as many guys as I could from the cliff, and as I came down, used my nanosuit which gives temporary boosts to strenght, armor, speed, invisibility. I found that mixing these up in combat yielded the best results along with taking cover whenever possible. Crysis uses a Halo-esque shield system intead of a lifebar and the suit boosts work in a similar fashion.

The combat is extremely open-ended thanks to the nanosuit, huge environement and the fact that everything is interactive - yes, you can pick up chickens and smack your enemies with them, jump on roofs, use cloaking to get near your enemies, grab them by the throat and hurl them through the air just like that turtle. During the entire demo I went through several enemy encampments and the encounters were all very different. The combat is very intense, varied, and makes you try out all these different ways to get rid of your enemies. The nanosuit also enables weapon modification such as flashlights and silencers. The AI seems very good, they work together, stick to cover, etc.

The graphics are beyond amazing, the textures look amazing even on medium, volumetric lighting, soft shadows...beautiful stuff. But the real star of the show are the fully destructible/interactive environments. You can pick up and throw basically anything that looks like you can pick it up and you can destroy everything. It's such a thrill being under machine gun fire desperately trying to take the guy down only to notice trees falling around you, or throwing a grenade inside a small shack to have it collapse on the soldiers inside.

Crysis is a true sandbox FPS, Crytek provided the gameworld and some objectives, but it's completely up to the player how to go about them. I've even got distracted by something else and cleared a few encampments that I didn't even need to just because the combat is--how should I put it?--hella fun!

Any of you guys tried it out? Your thoughts?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I'm 80% complete. Got about 30 minutes left to download. I will give my impressions when I'm finished playing it... of course, I may just end up playing it until its time to go to work then I won't be able to post about it until 11:30 tonight. >_>

I am quite excited already and your impressions make me even more excited. 8)
Pessu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Pessu
Member since 2007 • 944 Posts

Just finished it.

I got a decent framerate with everything set on high except shadows and soft particles because those two appear to kill my performance (E6600@2,7Ghz, 8800GTS 320mb, 2GB DDR800Mhz, Xp 32bit and the newest nvidia drivers released today).

The first feeling I got in this game was a farcry dejavu. It really, really, really feels like farcry and thats great. Graphics, AI, animations and especially the physics are something never seen before. They blew me away instantly. Destroyability doesnt seem as high they told it would be but I believe its better on Vista. On xp trees cut down on some level but not from every spot or not even every tree.

How to describe the gameplay? I have one word for you, Revolutionizing...

The nanosuit has to be the best thing ever. It gives you armor, speed, strenght and cloak modes. Mixing those in to your gameplay is amazing. Lurking in shadows while invisible and grappling your enemies form the throat, turning on strenght and blasting them trought walls, trees, other enemies or about anything destroyable. I did not find a single thing to complain in the demo. Everything seem too good to be true, except for minor bugs in physics but nothing unpatchable.

AAAA, GOTY 2007 confirmed judging by the demo.

omerdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 omerdv
Member since 2005 • 1071 Posts
This game is so awesome!!! I play it medium\high smoothly and it's really fun...
Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts
Yeh my x1950xtx could max out the demo on DX9 with about 30FPS so thats good enough for me.
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts

The graphics are definitely impressive and live up to all the hype surrounding the game, even playing on LOW settings (all my PC can handle). The gameplay itself, I wasn't as impressed with. The controls seemed a bit....floaty. I don't know, really how best to describe it, but they didn't really click with me. Wasn't real crazy with how the weapons handled, either, but that's more personal preference. I mostly did the run and gun thing, which means I primarily used the armor mode. I think I only used the strength mode when it was required to jump past some obstacles. There really didn't seem to be enough incentive not to be in armor mode thanks to its constant regen. I'll probably experiment with the other modes later, though. Bottom line, it seems like it can be a good game, but the demo didn't get me hook line and sinker like the original Farcry did.
EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts
I don't like the guns, they feel very wrong. They don't have that feeling like the ones in Counter Strike or even FEAR. Very weak and I found myself not even using them unless it came to that. I did what I do in HL and used the things laying around to kill everything. The nanosuit is alright but I grew tired of switching it every few seconds. Especially in the middle of a bunch of dudes trying to kill you. I can see it being a lot more fun with unlimited power.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3
deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3
Member since 2005 • 1735 Posts

quite frankly i thouight it was amazing, it ran well enough for me on medium to be easily playable, and its obvious the gfx are amazing, gfx aside i thought the gameplay was easily accesible as well as fun. they have done the nano suit well, giving it too nmuch power would just make you superman and take all balance away from the game, but with the limit its set to it means you have to use it wisely. i just love the amount of ways you can do things...there's no limit really, in fact the only limit i can across was that if you drive a boat outside the perimiter of the reef those ships on the horizon fire missiles at you lol.

the guns do seem a little weak, im kinda sick of having to hit a guy like 8 times to take him down...i mean, i know i have a nanosuit and can take that, but they are wearing shirts, wtf? however it is rly fun using thyose tranquiliser darts and cloaking, taking down groups silently and then finishing them off when they are asleep.

it took me a while to get it working, and yunless i have sgader quality up full i get didgy errors, but im sure this will be sorted in retail, if not then ill just have to do with the hkigh shader detail and a slight drop in framerate...but it still runs pretty smoothly at 25-40 fps, occasionally going between 50-60...

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

the guns do seem a little weak, im kinda sick of having to hit a guy like 8 times to take him down...i mean, i know i have a nanosuit and can take that, but they are wearing shirts, wtf? however it is rly fun using thyose tranquiliser darts and cloaking, taking down groups silently and then finishing them off when they are asleep.

marriage0

All the Koreans are wearing heavy body armor. Shots in the head will do them in as long as you don't hit them in the helmet, but body shots won't take them down quickly thanks to all that Kevlar. Using a silencer will diminish the impact of your bullets, plus you're probably not even hitting them as many time as you think you are due to recoil.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Teuf_
As for my thoughts...big step forward for the genre. I've been waiting for the next "Half-Life" as they say it ever since HL2 came out, and I'm starting to think this is that game. It's roots are definitely in Far Cry and it shows (it is sort of a spiritual sequel, after all), but tha's probably a good thing considering how excellent it is.

Where I really think this game wins big is in the open-endedness. The developers have been harping on the idea of being able to do whatever you want and I've always taken that with a grain of salt, but they weren't kidding. You'll have some specific objectives you need to accomplish (not all of them mandatory it would seem) but you're free to tackle them any which way you choose. Other games would herd you onto narrow roads and pathways where the developers could conveniently place bad guys and powerups, but there's none of that here. You can swim there, drive there, walk there, super-speed run there, sneak through the jungle, or take a boat.

And once you are at a place of interest, the choices don't stop there. Obviously the first temptation is to try to shoot everyone in sight, and maybe do some super-jumping and tossing of bodies we've all seen in the previews. And you can do that, but it has consequences. You're certainly not quite the invulnerable super-solider you appear to be at first, thanks to an energy meter that can run out all too quickly. Once you've run out of energy you're basically not much better off than the troops you're shooting at, since your defense will be down and you can't just cloak or sprint away. This is really where the nanosuit design nails it, in that you're forced to use it in very short bursts. Rather than being a valid strategy in itself, a nanosuit abilitiy is instead something you must instead use to emphasize your strategic decisions. For example if you're going to sneak into the enemy bunker to download some data, you can't just cloak and waltz on in there. Moving will partially ruin the effect, and will also cause your energy to drain much quicker. Instead it makes more sense to cloak when someone's really close and then maybe take them out with a silenced weapon, then super-sprint or super-jump somewhere else an lay low in the brush.

The combat itself is very tight. I was worried you would just be so over-powered the gunplay will lose its edge, but thats not the case. Your defense barrier will run out of energy quick unless you're behind some cover, and you'll of course have to always make sure that whatever is covering you isn't shot into pieces. Accuracy is on the realistic side, with long bursts doing little more than spraying bullets in every direction. Taking enemies on one by one where you can take time to aim for their head is ideal, but once you're spotted you'll have a very hard time doing that. They will often try to flank you in groups, and many times someone will call for reinforcements via flare gun which usually arrives in the form of a jeep or a boat (both of which have mounted machine guns). The destructable environments are interesting in that they can hurt you or help you. You can certainly try to knock a tree onto a jeep or bust open the roof of a shack to shoot the person inside, but at the same time someone with a shotgun might suddenly blast open a wall that was previously keeping you safe and sound. Those trees will also start to come down when the enemies throw grenades at you, which happens quite a bit.

Of course you don't need to me tell any of you how incredible the graphics are. I was running on high with 4xAA yesterday, and today I'm going to try some very-high stuff to see how it works. The natural environment stuff (the clouds, sun, sky, water, palm trees) is simply incredibly, I've never seen anything like it. Like UpInFlames, my jaw dropped when the sun came up after the halo jump.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Teuf_
I just played through the demo again on Hard, and this game gets even better on higher difficulties. Being able to die much quicker really puts much more emphasis on the strategic choices you make, and run n' gun really stops being anything close to a viable option. They also have some other neat ways of affecting the difficulty: for example, on the 3 lower difficulties enemies speak English, but then on very hard they speak Korean. Also past normal you can't drive vehicles and shoot their guns at the same time, and the suit no longer highlights enemies and grenades past a certain difficulty.
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts
It will be nice if you guys post some screenshots :P
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Teuf_
It will be nice if you guys post some screenshots :PD3s7rUc71oN

No problem, gimme a few minutes.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Teuf_
For your viewing pleasure :D

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

For your viewing pleasure :D

Teufelhuhn

Holy ****! That looks damn good, especially the sun in the last pic. Thanks dude for the pics.Is there cutscenes? How is the animation and voice acting? Is it as good as Heavenly Sword? I just got done playing that game and damn its the best I've seen yet in those departments. BTWI didn't like the mercs dialogue in Far Cry.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Thanks, Teuf. Amazing screens. The sunset ones look incredible. Oh, and the underwater one! :o
CodeMunki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CodeMunki
Member since 2002 • 2740 Posts
Too bad it won't run on my 6800gs. All I get is solid black textures. :(
AnotherKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AnotherKill
Member since 2007 • 1341 Posts

Too bad it won't run on my 6800gs. All I get is solid black textures. :(CodeMunki

I feel your pain...

Other than that the game looks awesome and those Screenshots look great..Hope you guys have fun playing Crysis, Im gonna go play CSS now T.T

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 HIMSteveO
Member since 2005 • 492 Posts

I had everything running at high at 1680x1050, with 8x normal AA (16xQ drains a touch),generally running between 30 and 50 odd fps (at a guess). I can't try very high, because that option is currently greyed out. Might try to the new nvidia driver though.

The game is pretty awesome though, and is pretty tough in some spots even on normal (maybe because I suck, not much for trying to find cover, should really give that a go...). As mentioned, just trying to charge in all guns blazing like in some other shooters achieves nothing

Running QX6700, SLi 8800 GTX's, and 2 gig RAM on XP for the curious

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

This game looks good! Can't wait to see reviews!

Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts

It's pretty good. I was playing it last night and found everything about it to be fantastic. The abilities that come with the suit, the customization available to the guns with scopes, flashlights etc. and the interface used, as well as the basic combat and gameplay. Don't even get me started on the graphics and sounds.

Definitely a game I plan on picking up.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Well Flames and Teuf generally know what they are talking about (most times!) so awesome impressions from them and those screenshots should sell everyone on this game. This looks like a strong GOTY contender.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 foxhound_fox
So yeah... I played it until the last possible second before I had to leave for work. Running it on all low (P4 2.667, ATI X1650 Pro 512MB, 2.25 GB DDR-333 RAM) and it looks and runs beautifully at 20-30fps (what my computer does for almost everything regardless of settings)... amazingly. The only slowdown I had was when they was a bunch of guys shooting at once or when taking out a lot of destructible stuff all at once.

As for the gameplay, I myself find it a bit disappointing and bland but it is extremely well polished. Some of the most well polished gunplay in a FPS ever. Playing around with the different nanosuit powers can be fun... but killing Korean soldiers over and over again (the AI seems a bit dumb) gets quite repetitive. Good thing there is more to this game than just soldiers (giant alien spider robots will be interesting to fight).

I will get the game... once I get a new rig. Sure the game looks amazing and runs very well on my PC from 2004... but I'd prefer to have better graphics... considering this title spews the high quality graphics like the infected from 28 Weeks Later spew blood. It is a very impressive title and I am highly anticipating what the mod community (and developer community) will do with the CryEngine 2... it is probably going to be the next "Source" when it comes to customizability and optimisation.
AnotherKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AnotherKill
Member since 2007 • 1341 Posts

You know it would be interesting seeing Counter Strike on the Crytek Engine :P Dust2 With Crysis graphics would be kind've odd haha

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox
Alright... so I won't edit my post...

Anyways, I just finished beating the demo on Delta (nearly finished on Hard before). I was seen no more than ten times and killed once. I take great pride in being able to sneak my way through the entire level. I would have liked to have got into a fire fight to actually see how the AI reacts on Delta but sadly, I was so invisible that I was hardly even shot at.

After further analysis and play time, I'm becoming much more fond of the game. The gameplay as I already mentioned is extremely well polished and once you get into the groove, things move swiftly and smoothly. It is great fun sneaking up behind an enemy, grabbing him, dragging him off into the bush, switching to strength and punching his face in. Then repeat for the rest of his buddies.

With enough patience, the demo level is an absolute cake walk. You can almost completely avoid combat (with enough quick thinking, I'd bet you could make it through without killing a single enemy) and still finish all the objectives. This game is growing on me, I think we might have a winner here. Being given free will to do what you want is something the shooter genre lacks quite significantly in these days and this beautiful game is a welcome change.

I tried tweaking a few of the options a little further and was able to get object detail, shadow detail and shader detail up to medium without any noticeable framerate problems. Those few extra things (especially shader and shadow) make quite the visual difference when considering all the shadows that everything casts and it makes it look a ton better (especially at night).

If anyone likes shooters and has a computer that will run this demo, I implore you to try it. It is probably the best shooter experience that will be had this year... easily.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Teuf_

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]For your viewing pleasure :D

D3s7rUc71oN

Holy ****! That looks damn good, especially the sun in the last pic. Thanks dude for the pics.Is there cutscenes? How is the animation and voice acting? Is it as good as Heavenly Sword? I just got done playing that game and damn its the best I've seen yet in those departments. BTWI didn't like the mercs dialogue in Far Cry.

-There are cutscenes, all from first-person perspective. They're scripted, and the game will go into letterbox mode when you "enter" one (some of the pics I took are from a cutscene). Your guy talks a bit too (and actually has a body!) which avoids the "floating head with a gun" feeling you get with Half-Life 2.

-Animation is really really good. It's not like HS where you had all that great mo-capped stuff, instead what makes it great is that the animations all adjust based on what's going on. So for example, when you see one of your nanosuited buddies running up a hill they will realistically lean their bodies forward, or also to the side if turning.

-Voice-acting is pretty over-the-top hollywood-****stuff. It even comes complete with a Latino named "Jester" who calls people "amigo", and a British dude named "Psycho" who angrily demands to know what the real mission is from your CO. Don't be expecting any academy awards for the script. But the actors certainly do the job well enough. The Koreans are definitely better than the mercs when it comes to dialogue, and will often get scared and yell expletives when they see you cloak or use one of your other super-powers.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Teuf_
Alright... so I won't edit my post...

Anyways, I just finished beating the demo on Delta (nearly finished on Hard before). I was seen no more than ten times and killed once. I take great pride in being able to sneak my way through the entire level. I would have liked to have got into a fire fight to actually see how the AI reacts on Delta but sadly, I was so invisible that I was hardly even shot at.

After further analysis and play time, I'm becoming much more fond of the game. The gameplay as I already mentioned is extremely well polished and once you get into the groove, things move swiftly and smoothly. It is great fun sneaking up behind an enemy, grabbing him, dragging him off into the bush, switching to strength and punching his face in. Then repeat for the rest of his buddies.

With enough patience, the demo level is an absolute cake walk. You can almost completely avoid combat (with enough quick thinking, I'd bet you could make it through without killing a single enemy) and still finish all the objectives. This game is growing on me, I think we might have a winner here. Being given free will to do what you want is something the shooter genre lacks quite significantly in these days and this beautiful game is a welcome change.

I tried tweaking a few of the options a little further and was able to get object detail, shadow detail and shader detail up to medium without any noticeable framerate problems. Those few extra things (especially shader and shadow) make quite the visual difference when considering all the shadows that everything casts and it makes it look a ton better (especially at night).

If anyone likes shooters and has a computer that will run this demo, I implore you to try it. It is probably the best shooter experience that will be had this year... easily.
foxhound_fox

You must be some sort of Ninja, or at least half-Ninja. I'd try to sneak around and not let the whole world know I was there while playing on Hard, but inevitably one of the guards would see me and shoot a damn flare so the entire cavalry would show up. At which point I'd run away and hide like a girl.
Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts
It was very well done.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UpInFlames

Voice-acting is pretty over-the-top hollywood-****stuff. It even comes complete with a Latino named "Jester" who calls people "amigo", and a British dude named "Psycho" who angrily demands to know what the real mission is from your CO. Don't be expecting any academy awards for the script. But the actors certainly do the job well enough. The Koreans are definitely better than the mercs when it comes to dialogue, and will often get scared and yell expletives when they see you cloak or use one of your other super-powers.Teufelhuhn

Right on. Crysis actually reminds more more of the movie Predator rather than Far Cry. It's cliched and cheesy, but in an entertaining kind of way. I think it's stupid that the Korean language comes into play only at the highest difficulty (which I'll never play on). I wish we could set it to normal and just pick English or Korean for the enemies.

I played through the demo once again today,and I just wanted to further emphasize how I love the open-ended approach and how it is my impression that Crytek completely nailed it with Crysis. Some open-ended games make you feel lost or unsure of what you're supposed to be doing exactly, or on the other hand, feel too linear. The balance between freedom and focus is downright perfect in Crysis, I'd say - judging by the demo, of course. I think that's a great achievement.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Teuf_

I wish we could set it to normal and just pick English or Korean for the enemies.

UpInFlames

Have no fear! Teuf just happens to be one of those PC gamers who digs through all the config files in his PC games, and he discovered that you can edit just about every difficulty parameter for each difficulty setting.

The files are in a folder that I think is called "Config" which is in the "Game" subfolder of the demo's installation directory. In the folders you'll see a bunch of .cfg files, just open up the one called "normal_difficulty.cfg" using notepad and then you can edit away. The option for the korean dialogue is called "AI_allternativeReadability" or something like that, set it to zero.
Greyhound222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 Greyhound222
Member since 2005 • 2899 Posts
[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

I wish we could set it to normal and just pick English or Korean for the enemies.

Teufelhuhn

Have no fear! Teuf just happens to be one of those PC gamers who digs through all the config files in his PC games, and he discovered that you can edit just about every difficulty parameter for each difficulty setting.

The files are in a folder that I think is called "Config" which is in the "Game" subfolder of the demo's installation directory. In the folders you'll see a bunch of .cfg files, just open up the one called "normal_difficulty.cfg" using notepad and then you can edit away. The option for the korean dialogue is called "AI_allternativeReadability" or something like that, set it to zero.

Yeah,I've been messing with the Cvars too.The game looks AWESOME on high,but on very high you get the object motion blur,which I really like,but on very high the game's a bit of a slideshow,so I changed the very high setting to the same as high,but left object motion blur on.It's impossible to just paste the object motion blur onto high or lower for some reason. Hope it's not too confusing.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 UpInFlames

The files are in a folder that I think is called "Config" which is in the "Game" subfolder of the demo's installation directory. In the folders you'll see a bunch of .cfg files, just open up the one called "normal_difficulty.cfg" using notepad and then you can edit away. The option for the korean dialogue is called "AI_allternativeReadability" or something like that, set it to zero.Teufelhuhn

Dude! That's awesome! I tried it out and it's so much better. I hate it when foreigners speak English - with each other. :|

Thanks a lot, man. I'm not the one to mess with config files if I'm not told exactly what to do.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Teuf_
Yeah,I've been messing with the Cvars too.The game looks AWESOME on high,but on very high you get the object motion blur,which I really like,but on very high the game's a bit of a slideshow,so I changed the very high setting to the same as high,but left object motion blur on.It's impossible to just paste the object motion blur onto high or lower for some reason. Hope it's not too confusing.Greyhound222

Yeah I know what you're talking about. I did the same thing actually, since I really like the per-object motion blur but something else in the very high profile kills my framerate.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 foxhound_fox
So, I just finished my "no-kill" Delta run. Took me 40 minutes. The only part I had trouble with was the first large group on the beach near the transmitter (the only time I fired my gun making it the only time I was fired upon), where I had to get close to the trailer to blow it up and since I had to fire, my cloak went down, so a couple guys shot at me, I just ran away and when my energy recharged cloaked up and was out of there faster than a cheapskate at the bar. I did die a few times trying out strategies on how to get the transmitter to blow up but in the end I think it worked fine. The command post was an absolute breeze, went around the back of the peninsula, strength jumped up, crawled through the grass, cloaked into the trailer, left and then made my way to the last checkpoint of the demo.

I've noticed that both the AI in the boats and in the jeeps have a very unrealistic ability to see me even when in deep grass behind a bush when I am uncloaked. Its pretty much the only complaint I can render about the game so far... even if it might just be a "perk" of playing on Delta (if it is, then I hope I can disable it because it does not help make the game feel realistic). Very few games that I have played in my life that let you go through whole levels without killing a single enemy yet still complete all the objectives and on time. We have a winner here guys, this is the game everyone should be playing.
TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheGrayEye
Member since 2006 • 2579 Posts
Hows the music?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 foxhound_fox
One of the songs reminds me a lot of the theme from Manaan in KotOR.
TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheGrayEye

I don't remember that one. But does it sound like music from like Predator? Or like something from Bourne Ultimatium. I hope it sounds good, thats one of the most important things for me in a cinematic fps.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 foxhound_fox
Well, aside from the cutscenes, Crysis is about as far away as you can get from a "cinematic FPS." It is completely unscripted (aside from the story elements and objectives) and lets you choose what you want to do (not all objectives are nessecary). The music does add great feel when you get into a fire-fight though.
TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheGrayEye
That's pretty cool, I love it when a game kinda does the whole, u start at this side of the island, now theres a million diff ways to go to point B. Like Farcry, which this very much looks like.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 UpInFlames

I've noticed that both the AI in the boats and in the jeeps have a very unrealistic ability to see me even when in deep grass behind a bush when I am uncloaked. Its pretty much the only complaint I can render about the game so far... even if it might just be a "perk" of playing on Delta (if it is, then I hope I can disable it because it does not help make the game feel realistic).foxhound_fox

No, it happens on normal too, and yes, it's stupid. That's pretty much my only complaint as well.

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

BTW...if anybody is having trouble taking out the boats...keep in mind....

the silencer decrease accuracy and power by a lot...dont use it unless you absolutly have too...

using the strength mode, gives you less recoil and weapons sway...allowing you to hit faraway targets easier.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 UpInFlames

BTW...if anybody is having trouble taking out the boats...keep in mind....cobrax25

I just use the jeep's machine gun. Saves ammo. And it's loud. :wink:

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cobrax25

oh, and since you love crysis so much, Ill show you something crytek didnt want you too see :)

bassiclly the point at which the demo ends, isnt the point at which the level actually ends...there is a little more after the cutsce...you cant play it in the demo, but you can in the editor.

in the editor..spawn yourself right after the point at which the demo ends...right after the frozen ship...you will get to play for another 40 or so seconds....

its not much in terms of combat...but something pretty damn cool happens....

oh...and it turns out in the demo, there are aliens flying in the air...they are so far away, they look like birds...but in the editor you can get an up close view of them :)

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 UpInFlames

Hey, that's a great find, I'll try to check it out tomorrow. Thanks!

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 cobrax25

just play around with the editor in general...spawn a tornado right at the enemy base...or do like I did and complete the entire level with a tank or helicopter...

I havent figured out how to...but apparently if you spawn an alien next to a korean, they automaticlly start fighting each other too.

Avatar image for Manly-manly-man
Manly-manly-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Manly-manly-man
Member since 2006 • 3477 Posts
Also, an alien is what causes you to fall out of the sky. Look to your left during the freefall, and you will see it com towards you and impact you.
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cobrax25

Also, an alien is what causes you to fall out of the sky. Look to your left during the freefall, and you will see it com towards you and impact you.Manly-manly-man

hmm...didnt notice that at all...

will have to try again.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"] :D

D3s7rUc71oN

Animations are the best I've ever seen in a game. They all look really natural, the way the lips move with speech is extremely good, too.
mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mazdero
Member since 2002 • 1754 Posts
Crysis is the best FPS I have seen this year. it is truly amazing. I came REALLY close to building a PC just to play this game, but luckily, my friend said he would let me play it on his.