Crash bandicoot Vs. Mario 64

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jakandsig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 jakandsig
Member since 2010 • 471 Posts
[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="jakandsig"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

No I haven't. You can't expect me to know about every obscure game out there. If we are to be nitpickers we could also mention Alpha Waves as a pioneer of the 3D platfomer subgenre.

Jakandsig said there was no innovation in Mario 64. If you agree with this you have to be an anti-Nintendo/Mario-hater type of guy yourself.

There were a lot of things that Mario 64 redefined even if they were pioneered by various games before.

Anyway, thanks for the link. It's always interesting to find out about yet unknown interesting vintage games.

Other than better camera angles, what did Mario do to innovate 3D platforming? (Besides bad platform collision detection but was slightly better than the bad collision detection in previous game?) Nothing at all. It is the same exact linear collet this thing but in 3D. You do the same thing to get stars the WHOLE game. It just did something (arguably) better than games before it and people called it redefined when in fact, it redefined nothing at all. No game uses the engine/formula/gameplay Mario 64 did except on the N64. Many favored franchises ironically spawned from gameplay simillar to Crash Bandicoot. Analog sticks did play a huge role before the N64, and if we were going by what you were saying, judging from over 100 million in sales, the PS1 reinvented analog sticks. It's not similar games preceding, it's the fact that they did things better/that mario didn't do. Just like the bull$hit that Zelda reinvnted 3D adventure games despit almost NO GAMES use anything from that series except its own series. Stop believing the N64 marketing lies (Like inventing the vibrator) and realize that if any of this was 100% true (100% exactly) then the PS1 would not have demolished. Heck, I'll even throw this out: Goldeneye is considred the best (Playable) FPS game at the time of that era. Was it good? NO. Did it need a lot of work done? YES. Was it playable? YES. Most people find it to be one of the best mostly because it is playable despite the fact it was terrible compared to other FPS games outside of console, and a few on consoles. Halo actually correctly brought full blown FPS to consoles, Goldeneye, while making progress, was sickingly overrated and hyped. But back on topic, mario64 is Nintendo overhyped mess that not only failed to sell as many N64's as they hoped, but really did nothing new. The game was still linear in nature. I found Croc 2 more playable since it didn't have that horrible camera mario64 used. However, don't make the mistake thinking I said it was a bad game. Which you probably will anyway. Crash Bandicoot, while I think is better, is not innovative at all until the 2nd and 3rd games. (Even stil to this day having the best Kart racing game) However, many games spawned from it and there were games that spawned from thos spawned gaes (Spyro, Croc 2, R&C, J&D, Sly, Gex, Some of Tak, Etc.) Many many games. Mario 64 unless it's Mario's own series only spawned copies on the N64 (Some on PS1 and Saturn as well.) But after that most platform evolved from Crash or tried to make their own engine (Ty)

Well that's your opinion but from my prespective you're wrong on almost everything you said.

I find Croc 2 very boring btw.

80% of the post was facts. I didn't say anything about the game being fun or boring, it just played better, which in turn made it more enjoyable.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#102 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Mario 64 because of the exploration it had. Crash Bandicoot was cool, but Mario 64 had linear stages, too.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

No I haven't. You can't expect me to know about every obscure game out there. If we are to be nitpickers we could also mention Alpha Waves as a pioneer of the 3D platfomer subgenre.

Jakandsig said there was no innovation in Mario 64. If you agree with this you have to be an anti-Nintendo/Mario-hater type of guy yourself.

There were a lot of things that Mario 64 redefined even if they were pioneered by various games before.

Anyway, thanks for the link. It's always interesting to find out about yet unknown interesting vintage games.

nameless12345

No its not nitpicking its called facts. If a game is obscure it does not negate the fact that it is first or not. Thats just plain silly....As for Mario64, for a platformer yes it was innovated for its time mostly cause it was the break out 3D game, but the game never really aged well. Thats the problem....I have, and while Mario 64 is the break 3D game, does not mean it was the first. Other games did it before....Mario 64 for its time just did it better, but it was not hte first with these concept

So now because a game from an entirely different time period has some similar gameplay mechanics you're gonna say that makes an important game (in this case Mario 64) any less important?

It's not just about who was to make something first but also how he puts that to use.

By this logic Battlezone from 1980 is the first FPS and Wolfenstein 3D is just a insignificant clone.

Wow again trying to twist the facts. First foremost let me explain, I think Hunter is important, it was the first. See the difference is that there is this trend in gaming history. There are games that are the first, but they are not break outs. Than a game in the same new genre comes along and its the break out. For example, Pong. Pong was not the first video game, but it was the first videogame that became a success. It was not the first table tennis video game, but it was the break out. But it was not innovative, it was just the first that became popular. Street Fighter II was not the first fighting game, but it was the first break out, same goes with Doom, DDR, Final Fantasy VII, Mario 64...they were all the break out games, but not the first in their genres. The first in their genres are considered innovative for bieng the first. Those games are breakouts because they help make these games popular. So Mario 64 was the break out game, but imo it was not the first in being an open world 3D game.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

No its not nitpicking its called facts. If a game is obscure it does not negate the fact that it is first or not. Thats just plain silly....As for Mario64, for a platformer yes it was innovated for its time mostly cause it was the break out 3D game, but the game never really aged well. Thats the problem....I have, and while Mario 64 is the break 3D game, does not mean it was the first. Other games did it before....Mario 64 for its time just did it better, but it was not hte first with these concept

TheTrueMagusX1

So now because a game from an entirely different time period has some similar gameplay mechanics you're gonna say that makes an important game (in this case Mario 64) any less important?

It's not just about who was to make something first but also how he puts that to use.

By this logic Battlezone from 1980 is the first FPS and Wolfenstein 3D is just a insignificant clone.

Wow again trying to twist the facts. First foremost let me explain, I think Hunter is important, it was the first. See the difference is that there is this trend in gaming history. There are games that are the first, but they are not break outs. Than a game in the same new genre comes along and its the break out. For example, Pong. Pong was not the first video game, but it was the first videogame that became a success. It was not the first table tennis video game, but it was the break out. But it was not innovative, it was just the first that became popular. Street Fighter II was not the first fighting game, but it was the first break out, same goes with Doom, DDR, Final Fantasy VII, Mario 64...they were all the break out games, but not the first in their genres. The first in their genres are considered innovative for bieng the first. Those games are breakouts because they help make these games popular. So Mario 64 was the break out game, but imo it was not the first in being an open world 3D game.

Noone said there weren't games that pioneered interesting ideas in their time but that Hunter game looks nothing like Mario 64 judging by the pics. And they are rather comparing it to GTA in that link you posted.

Mario 64 was a small revolution in the (mascot-driven) platformer genre as it had a huge 3D world (for the time), a revolutionary hub world, a non-linear approach (to a certain extent), freedom of movement, changing environments, elements of other genres (like racing games), very good level design, a ton of secrets, ect. And it was also one of the forerunners of the "3D revolution" and perfectly suited for the N64 gamepad.

It's praised for a reason (it's also Gabe Newell's favourite game by the way).

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Noone said there weren't games that pioneered interesting ideas in their time but that Hunter game looks nothing like Mario 64 judging by the pics. And they are rather comparing it to GTA in that link you posted.

Mario 64 was a small revolution in the (mascot-driven) platformer genre as it had a huge 3D world (for the time), a revolutionary hub world, a non-linear approach (to a certain extent), freedom of movement, changing environments, elements of other genres (like racing games), very good level design, a ton of secrets, ect. And it was also one of the forerunners of the "3D revolution" and perfectly suited for the N64 gamepad.

It's praised for a reason (it's also Gabe Newell's favourite game by the way).

No Hunter is one of the earliest free roam 3D games produced. What we are comparing here is the concept of free roaming 3D, not GTA vs Mario. Mario64 and GTA 3 yes very different games, but they have one factor in common, the free roaming. You are saying that free roaming was not there till Mario 64, so I countered your point by puting in a free roaming 3D game that predated Mario 64. And ironically hunter had most of those aspects that you mention, such as freedom of movement, changing environment, elements of other genres...good level desin is not revolutionary, good level design is good level design, its universal through all of gaming hisotory. the point is while Mario 64 is the breakout for free roam 3D games, but it is not the first or as revolutionary as it was. Same goes with Doom, and Street Fighter II as they were not hte first in their genres but they were the games that made them breakout and made their game style/genre more recognizable in the gaming scene.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#107 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

lol 2 people claming 64 was the worst they obviously have not played those horrible mario games on the cdi

super mario 64 is superior graphically to any thing on ps1 of the genre , spyro came close but ya super mario 64 was the best platformer until galaxy 2 came out /1 nsmb would be best side scroller

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 TheTrueMagusX1

lol 2 people claming 64 was the worst they obviously have not played those horrible mario games on the cdi

super mario 64 is superior graphically to any thing on ps1 of the genre , spyro came close but ya super mario 64 was the best platformer until galaxy 2 came out /1 nsmb would be best side scroller

mariokart64fan

Perhaps you should learn to articulate yourself better, people would take you more seriously.

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#109 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

Mario 64 by much, Crash Bandicoot is hard, frustrating and fairly repetitive visually.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 TheTrueMagusX1

I have wondered the exact samething about you many times Nameless. I have seen how you treat others as well, the same goes for you too.

ants83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 ants83
Member since 2005 • 359 Posts

Mario 64 by a mile, crash was fun but not in the same league as Mario 64

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 nameless12345

I have wondered the exact samething about you many times Nameless. I have seen how you treat others as well, the same goes for you too.

TheTrueMagusX1

Look who's talking - the same guy who calls others "ignorant", "uneducated" and stuff like that just because you don't like their opinion :lol:

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

nameless12345

Look who's talking - the same guy who calls others "ignorant", "uneducated" and stuff like that just because you don't like their opinion :lol:

You are right do call people that, but only the people like you who act as you know what they are talking about and they donot. The ones that attack others but have no idea what they are talking about. The fact is that you are uneducated in gaming matters, and your knowledge only goes up to the N64. Aside from that you know practically next to nothing about gaming.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

TheTrueMagusX1

You are right do call people that, but only the people like you who act as you know what they are talking about and they donot. The ones that attack others but have no idea what they are talking about. The fact is that you are uneducated in gaming matters, and your knowledge only goes up to the N64. Aside from that you know practically next to nothing about gaming.

A typical response from you, as expected :P

If I don't know nothing about gaming, what makes you think you know everything? Are you a gaming god or something?

I never attack anyone because I don't like his opinion (like you and jak are doing).

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

If I don't know nothing about gaming, what makes you think you know everything? Are you a gaming god or something?

I never attack anyone because I don't like his opinion (like you and jak are doing).

No because quite frankly, I am not the only one who has an issue with you on these forums. Infact, most know about your undying love for nintendo blinds you. I donot care if you like Mario 64 is better, its that your opinion blinds you to actual facts. Saying Mario 64 did was the first to do these things is incorrect information. You blur the difference between fact and opinions. You can like Mario 64 better, that is an opinion, but when you say it was the first to do the things you listed...that means your incorrect. There is a difference, and you do this all the time. I donot know everything but I donot mix up my facts to justify my opinions. That shows your insecure...you donot really believe in your opinions.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

TheTrueMagusX1

No because quite frankly, I am not the only one who has an issue with you on these forums. Infact, most know about your undying love for nintendo blinds you. I donot care if you like Mario 64 is better, its that your opinion blinds you to actual facts. Saying Mario 64 did was the first to do these things is incorrect information. You blur the difference between fact and opinions. You can like Mario 64 better, that is an opinion, but when you say it was the first to do the things you listed...that means your incorrect. There is a difference, and you do this all the time. I donot know everything but I donot mix up my facts to justify my opinions. That shows your insecure...you donot really believe in your opinions.

Oh, so now you assume I'm a Nintendo fanboy? :P

I'm actually a fan of their games (and even that a select few). I respect the company for innovation and fun games but I also respect Sega for example (and even Atari).

And I actually don't like Mario 64 all that much but I'm able to recognize it as one of the more important games that helped shape the platformer genre and 3D gaming as we know it today.

It's people like you and jak who try to discredit it as such.

And your comparison with some obscure DOS game is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

We're talking mascot-based "cartoony" plafromers here, not some strange open-world military action game hybrids.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

I'm actually a fan of their games (and even that a select few). I respect the company for innovation and fun games but I also respect Sega for example (and even Atari).

And I actually don't like Mario 64 all that much but I'm able to recognize it as one of the more important games that helped shape the platformer genre and 3D gaming as we know it today.

We're talking mascot-based "cartoony" plafromers here, not some strange open-world military action game hybrids.

LMAO! First and foremost being that I obviously am more knowledgeable than you, I know how important Nintendo is. No one is trying to discredit them, but you give them credit for things that they really did not do first. Kind of Ironic too now that you say really donot like Mario 64 aynmore but every thread about the game you praise it to no end. I donot care if you donot like the game but saying it was the first 3D openworld, it was the first to mix genre, and others is incorrect. And no bringing in Hunter is not ridiculous, because it did the same things you claim Mario 64 did first. You also claim Mario 64 was the first to do these things, but there were games before it that did it. Infact you even contradicted yourself by posting a 3D platformer that predated Mario 64. Mario 64 was the break out title, and it did things right, but it was not the first of its type. Thats the problem...and comparing it to Hunter is quite fine. Because Hunter did it first, you just want to give Mario 64 more credit for things it did not do. It was a important break out title, but it was not the first. Learn the difference...

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Mario 64, no question.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#122 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Mario 64 is as much an exploration game as it is a platformer. So by default, it's much slower in it's pacing than Crash Bandicoot. But I always thought Mario 64 was far and away the better game.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

TheTrueMagusX1

LMAO! First and foremost being that I obviously am more knowledgeable than you, I know how important Nintendo is. No one is trying to discredit them, but you give them credit for things that they really did not do first. Kind of Ironic too now that you say really donot like Mario 64 aynmore but every thread about the game you praise it to no end. I donot care if you donot like the game but saying it was the first 3D openworld, it was the first to mix genre, and others is incorrect. And no bringing in Hunter is not ridiculous, because it did the same things you claim Mario 64 did first. You also claim Mario 64 was the first to do these things, but there were games before it that did it. Infact you even contradicted yourself by posting a 3D platformer that predated Mario 64. Mario 64 was the break out title, and it did things right, but it was not the first of its type. Thats the problem...and comparing it to Hunter is quite fine. Because Hunter did it first, you just want to give Mario 64 more credit for things it did not do. It was a important break out title, but it was not the first. Learn the difference...

I didn't say anything you wrote.

You think Mario 64 is a Hunter rip-off, fine. Your opinion really.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

I didn't say anything you wrote. (See what I did there. Contradict much?)

I never said it was a rip off, I said Hunter did the things that Mario 64 did years before Sm64. Its not an opinion, its a fact that Hunter did those things five years before SM64. Thats a fact, learn it. Again this proves how many times you blur opinions and facts, and shows that you really donot know the definitions of those words.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

TheTrueMagusX1

I never said it was a rip off, I said Hunter did the things that Mario 64 did years before Sm64. Its not an opinion, its a fact that Hunter did those things five years before SM64. Thats a fact, learn it. Again this proves how many times you blur opinions and facts, and shows that you really donot know the definitions of those words.

Can you atleast paste some Hunter footage to back up your claims?

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Can you atleast paste some Hunter footage to back up your claims?

I actually posted an article.....lol. You have lost the argument sir. Have a nice day! :D

jakandsig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 jakandsig

Mario 64 is as much an exploration game as it is a platformer. So by default, it's much slower in it's pacing than Crash Bandicoot. But I always thought Mario 64 was far and away the better game.

sonic_spark

Not only does Spyro have bigger levels, and you actually explore (MArio 64 is a big linear game, only some areas you can EXPLORE), and it has more going on, but it's games are faster/as fast as Crash. So this doen't make any sense. Also, Mario 64 lack a lot of platforming.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#128 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

[QUOTE="sonic_spark"]

jakandsig

Not only does Spyro have bigger levels, and you actually explore (MArio 64 is a big linear game, only some areas you can EXPLORE), and it has more going on, but it's games are faster/as fast as Crash. So this doen't make any sense. Also, Mario 64 lack a lot of platforming.

It makes perfect sense. Here's an example, compare Mario Galaxy 2 to Super Mario 64. Mario Galaxy 2 throws you right into a level, barely any hub world, levels are linear (planet to planet), with no real "huge levels" to explore.

Mario 64 had the Castle hub world. Secondly, there are several big levels that you could explore. The goals of each star of course linear, but some levels at that time were huge (Snow, Desert, Jolly Roger Bay, etc.)

No platforming? Are you kidding? Rainbow Cruise, The Tower, etc, etc. Play it to 120 stars, and tell me there's no perfect timing jumps or long jump sequences. It's a platformer first, exploration game second.

By your logic Mario 64 is barely a platformer, and barely an exploration game. So what else could it be?

Spyro is decent.. at best. I can sit here all day and tear apart Spyro.

jakandsig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 jakandsig

[QUOTE="jakandsig"]

[QUOTE="sonic_spark"]

sonic_spark

It makes perfect sense. Here's an example, compare Mario Galaxy 2 to Super Mario 64. Mario Galaxy 2 throws you right into a level, barely any hub world, levels are linear (planet to planet), with no real "huge levels" to explore.

Mario 64 had the Castle hub world. Secondly, there are several big levels that you could explore. The goals of each star of course linear, but some levels at that time were huge (Snow, Desert, Jolly Roger Bay, etc.)

No platforming? Are you kidding? Rainbow Cruise, The Tower, etc, etc. Play it to 120 stars, and tell me there's no perfect timing jumps or long jump sequences. It's a platformer first, exploration game second.

By your logic Mario 64 is barely a platformer, and barely an exploration game. So what else could it be?

Spyro is decent.. at best. I can sit here all day and tear apart Spyro.

Yeah, Mario has a LACK of platforming. There could have been more is what I was saying but ok... Mario didn't have much EXPLORATION. As in, you know, Zelda did, Mario 64 was still get to the end of the level (Excluding the other ways to get stars) and regardless of how big the area is, most of the ime (Not all) you were going the same path to the star. It wasn't Like Spyro or Rayman where you can just go off into some random area in a level. Spyro Vs. Mario 64 would be an endless debate with no end Let's not get into that.