Cockpit View (In Racing Games)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

I never used to bother with cockpit view in racing games. However, recently I've been playing through GRID and Dirt 2, two games which I've found to be great fun with cockpit view.

GRID 2 is nearing completion and I've been quite excited about this game, that was until I found out they have chosen to drop cockpit view.
Their reasoning was that only 5% of their players use cockpit view and the time spent to implement this feature wasn't justifiable if it was only to be used by so few people.

This is quite a shame, because while not too long ago I didn't care much for cockpit view, I now know I would not able to enjoy GRID 2 the same, without it.

Anyway, Codemasters' comments got me thinking, how many of the 95% are like I used to be and just never gave cockpit view a fair go.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

I've always used the bonnet view in racing games. I find that any other view just makes things more awkward most of the time.

But still, I did always think cockpit view was pretty cool.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

I've always used the bonnet view in racing games. I find that any other view just makes things more awkward most of the time.

Celldrax
Yes, it can significantly obstruct the view, but that adds to the 'authentic' experience which I find fun. I do not always use it. For example, I use chase-cam for the drifting events where knowing exactly where the tail of the car is is quite important.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

[QUOTE="Celldrax"]

C_Rule

Yes, it can significantly obstruct the view, but that adds to the 'authentic' experience which I find fun. I do not always use it. For example, I use chase-cam for the drifting events where knowing exactly where the tail of the car is is quite important.

lol, yeah. It's a little more difficult to do drifting without the chase camera.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
I used to always play with chase cam view, but when I started with NFS Shift I tried cockpit view and it seemed to work really well. It did take a little while to adapt, as you have to adjust all your break points and references around the circuit, but it did feel more engaging.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts
I've tried using cockpit view various times in a variety of games and while in some games it certainly looks good I cannot get use to it in actually playing the game. I always prefer to use the chase cam.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts
I always use cockpit view with both racing games and flight simulators. It is the only way to drive or fly.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I don't use cockpit view for racing games, I feel like it puts me at a disadvantage.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
I don't use cockpit view for racing games, I feel like it puts me at a disadvantage. JML897
Funny considering all serious sim racers use cockpit view exclusively.
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I usually use the behind the car view in racing games, especially Criterion's games, yet I do use the cockpit view when playing the NFS Speed games.
Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

It is a lot more fun in some games, but to be honest it makes it much harder. Especially if drifting is a major part of the game.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
[QUOTE="JML897"]I don't use cockpit view for racing games, I feel like it puts me at a disadvantage. Nuck81

I'm not a serious sim racer I'm actually fairly bad
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

I practically only play in cockpit view. It just seems more visceral and real when you're actually inside the car.

And there's nothing quite like going flat out down a forest path and then having your view blocked for a few seconds when you go through water, driving blind through a forest at 150-200 km/h.

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
I always use cockpit view, if it's available. If not then the bumper cam will do. Oddly I never used to. I always used to use the chase camera and still do if playing a rally game as it lets me be more accurate regarding where my wheels are.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="JML897"]I don't use cockpit view for racing games, I feel like it puts me at a disadvantage. JML897

I'm not a serious sim racer I'm actually fairly bad

Chase cam will do that for you. Switch to cockpit. You'll improve.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
I also use the cockpit cam. I just like cool little details they put inside and see how everything works, the dials, windscreen wipers, bobble head toys and all that jazz.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts
I find bumper or cockpit view to be my favorite view, makes the racing more exciting, chase views take out of the immersion and I also find they make it harder to control, at least for me, since the camera isn't solidly attached to the forward facing direction of the car
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#19 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I use the cockpit view in Gran Turismo because there is more of a sense of realism while driving compared to using a chase camera.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lulekani
I find bumper or cockpit view to be my favorite view, makes the racing more exciting, chase views take out of the immersion and I also find they make it harder to control, at least for me, since the camera isn't solidly attached to the forward facing direction of the carlamprey263
Oh My God ! Oh no you didnt ! Please tell me you didnt use the words "Immersion" and "Racing" in the same sentence !
Chemistian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chemistian
Member since 2003 • 635 Posts
I love the idea behind the cockpit view, but peripheral vision is lacking in modern racing games, really all games. Unless I switch to PC and run two or three monitors to solve this, I don't feel I am losing anything regarding realism by using the chase cam. I will never make that switch.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lulekani
I love the idea behind the cockpit view, but peripheral vision is lacking in modern racing games, really all games. Unless I switch to PC and run two or three monitors to solve this, I don't feel I am losing anything regarding realism by using the chase cam. I will never make that switch.Chemistian
speaking of Peripheral Vision, Microsoft recently showcased their IllumiRoom. Too bad it wont see the light of day though.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I don't play many racing games (mostly I just play the demos), and when I do I generally don't use cockpit view as it obscures too much of the scenery, but I'm always disappointed when they don't include it. It should always be there, for realism purposes
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

I don't use it. Never have liked it, feel like it blocks too much visibility. I would use it with something like the Oculus Rift though if done correctly. 

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#25 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
Yep, I love it. Makes it a lot more immersive and realistic. Forza 4.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Went with the second option.  It's not that I don't like it, it's nice for what it is, but I prefer a front bumper cam usually.  I'll give the cockpit cam a try, it's cool for a bit, but then I go back to my normal view.

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

I actually really dig cockpit views. Especially GT5's.

Chemistian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chemistian
Member since 2003 • 635 Posts
I looked up the IlluminiRoom. Nice idea, but it would seem to be over thinking it a bit. A simple square inside of a square might do it. The center square being precisely what is done now, with the outer area sharply angling the focus (scoping?) so that you can at least get something of a feel for what is next to you. The top row, fourth from the left is what I have in mind, although I don't think it needs to take that much of the screen away. Perhaps a focus option for individual preferences could be included. I tried to link just the one image, but Yahoo! was uncooperative, and my wife is now craving BWW's, and the dangling of food in front of this husband will always stretch my attention span. http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0oG7lA.wA5RKAcAZpdXNyoA?p=square+insided+a+square+corners+connected&fr=yfp-t-701&fr2=piv-web
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts
[QUOTE="lamprey263"]I find bumper or cockpit view to be my favorite view, makes the racing more exciting, chase views take out of the immersion and I also find they make it harder to control, at least for me, since the camera isn't solidly attached to the forward facing direction of the carLulekani
Oh My God ! Oh no you didnt ! Please tell me you didnt use the words "Immersion" and "Racing" in the same sentence !

don't beat around the bush, speak whatever you-know-better narcissistic nerdy rant you had in mind
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I started using the first person mode in MotorStorm Pacific Rift. It gave you a better sense of speed and it made me feel more in control. For games like Mario Kart 7 I prefer the 3rd person view.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lulekani
[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="lamprey263"]I find bumper or cockpit view to be my favorite view, makes the racing more exciting, chase views take out of the immersion and I also find they make it harder to control, at least for me, since the camera isn't solidly attached to the forward facing direction of the carlamprey263

don't beat around the bush, speak whatever you-know-better narcissistic nerdy rant you had in mind

lol, its no fun if you're expecting it. Besides it seems like you're not in the mood so out of respect I shall drop it. . . . for now.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lulekani
[QUOTE="Chemistian"]I looked up the IlluminiRoom. Nice idea, but it would seem to be over thinking it a bit. A simple square inside of a square might do it. The center square being precisely what is done now, with the outer area sharply angling the focus (scoping?) so that you can at least get something of a feel for what is next to you. The top row, fourth from the left is what I have in mind, although I don't think it needs to take that much of the screen away. Perhaps a focus option for individual preferences could be included. I tried to link just the one image, but Yahoo! was uncooperative, and my wife is now craving BWW's, and the dangling of food in front of this husband will always stretch my attention span. http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0oG7lA.wA5RKAcAZpdXNyoA?p=square+insided+a+square+corners+connected&fr=yfp-t-701&fr2=piv-web

The weird thing about all this cool gadgetry is the lack of Faith to release it to the public.
gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I ususally like using first person mode in racing games.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#34 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I don't use it a lot but I have used it before. I remember doing entire Indy Car races with cockpit view. I think it's disappointing that GRID 2 has decided to opt out.