Clarification: X1 used game sales. How it works. The simple truth.

• 148 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 alexwatchtower
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

1. They're not blocking used game sales. They're taking a cut.

2. Because when you trade a game in, it needs to be wiped from your account. You got paid for it.  When you personally sell a game to someone else, they are the ones that need to pay to activate it. It will be at that time, that it will be wiped from your account and transfered to them. But gain, you are asking me to talk about hypothetical situations. I have no freaking idea. The fact is, neither do you. Can it be done though? YES! Will they? I don't know.

LJS9502_basic

Oh please. If you a game costs almost as much as a new game or is restricted as to where you can buy it....that's pretty much going to kill the used game market. As a consumer this should give you pause. Why should a game have to activated? It's on a freaking disc. There should be NO activation fee.

Where did you get that information that it will cost the same amount as a new game?

If they retailers can charge or sell for whatever cost they want, ifthey allow person-to-person sales, why would they charge full price? Makes absolutely no sense!

And I agree with you! I hate it. But as a consumer, I'm going to get the facts first.

You know what started this shit? GameStop and gamers who abused the damn system to rent games for 10-15 bucks when they first came out, instead of waiting to rent it at Blockbuster. Like my friend. Who would guy buy a game when it first came out, beat it in 1 days, then turn right back around and get $40 credit. And companies like GameStop would encourage this practice and basically profit like crazy from new game sales. It really, really hurt new sales. Now Microsoft and the rest of the publishers wants to  put a stop and monitor this practice. And I agree with them.  This was terrible too!

I'm not taking up for them, but it's not just their greed that started this up. It was the gamers' greed and the retailers' greed.

Systems_Id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Systems_Id
Member since 2002 • 8156 Posts

Lol alexwatchtower doin' some PR work up in this bitch.

Keep fightin' the good fight man, keep fightin'.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 alexwatchtower

Systems_Id

Look I don't like this anymore than anyone else, I just want to know what they plan on doing.

But I will say this. I also don't like what GameStop was doing and the savvy gamers who basically worked hand in hand with GameStop to screw both publishers and rental stores over.  And you know what? I hated that because I like being able to rent games from Blockbuster. I never once participated in that and I could wait a couple of freaking weeks!

They are all guilty as sin. And if you're one of those that perpetuated that cycle, then you know what? Deal with it! They're watching this now.

Personally I feel the best way to deal with it is to prohibit retailers from selling used games of a new game release for 30 days. And they still might. But they need a way to monitor it.

Look , you know most  big movies, they don't come straight to DVD's. They come into theaters, then DVD later. What GameStop was doing is basically holding up the used DVD at the front of the movie theater turning people away and telling them not to pay theater price and take the movie home. Do you think that's fair?

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#54 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Retailers are free to charge/offer you whatever they want. Just like it is now.

Who cares about what store retailers do with used game sales and trades? Anyone who actually wants to save money or make money uses Amazon/Ebay/Etc and it looks like that won't work anymore.
I have this odd sense PC gaming is going to overtake consoles big time this generation.dkdk999
We can hope so
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 alexwatchtower

Retailers are free to charge/offer you whatever they want. Just like it is now.Legolas_Katarn

Who cares about what store retailers do with used game sales and trades? Anyone who actually wants to save money or make money uses Amazon/Ebay/Etc and it looks like that won't work anymore.
I have this odd sense PC gaming is going to overtake consoles big time this generation.dkdk999
We can hope so

We don't know that. If Microsoft allows GameStop whose practices took the biggest toll on the industry to continue buying and selling used games, but prohibits you and I from doing it, then SCREW THEM! Simple as that.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

Tragedy. Even more tragic is, they will still be quite successful in moving units and people will follow suit. Bums me out because this will drive prices up or discourage sales etc.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#57 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Microsoft is not the industry: microsoft is part of the industry. The industry is made by publishers and developers. Used game retailers paying the devil's due to microsoft doesn't help developers at all. So unless you can prove microsoft said they are going to share with the developers the used game cut they'll get from gamestop, don't try to sell us the idea that the used games block will help the industry: it will only help microsoft and no one else.

Black_Knight_00

According to GameSpot's article, both the publisher of the game and Microsoft will automatically recieve a cut of the sale.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178876 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

1. They're not blocking used game sales. They're taking a cut.

2. Because when you trade a game in, it needs to be wiped from your account. You got paid for it.  When you personally sell a game to someone else, they are the ones that need to pay to activate it. It will be at that time, that it will be wiped from your account and transfered to them. But gain, you are asking me to talk about hypothetical situations. I have no freaking idea. The fact is, neither do you. Can it be done though? YES! Will they? I don't know.

alexwatchtower

Oh please. If you a game costs almost as much as a new game or is restricted as to where you can buy it....that's pretty much going to kill the used game market. As a consumer this should give you pause. Why should a game have to activated? It's on a freaking disc. There should be NO activation fee.

Where did you get that information that it will cost the same amount as a new game?

If they retailers can charge or sell for whatever cost they want, ifthey allow person-to-person sales, why would they charge full price? Makes absolutely no sense!

And I agree with you! I hate it. But as a consumer, I'm going to get the facts first.

You know what started this shit? GameStop and gamers who abused the damn system to rent games for 10-15 bucks when they first came out, instead of waiting to rent it at Blockbuster. Like my friend. Who would guy buy a game when it first came out, beat it in 1 days, then turn right back around and get $40 credit. And companies like GameStop would encourage this practice and basically profit like crazy from new game sales. It really, really hurt new sales. Now Microsoft and the rest of the publishers wants to  put a stop and monitor this practice. And I agree with them.  This was terrible too!

I'm not taking up for them, but it's not just their greed that started this up. It was the gamers' greed and the retailers' greed.

From MS. Did you not pay attention to MS?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

alexwatchtower
If you put out a game that costs $60 and isn't worth keeping for more than a few days, then you deserve to get hosed. "Greedy" is putting out a product with that little value and then expecting a cut of the sales every time a buyer resells it. It wouldn't be getting resold like that in the first place if it didn't suck ass.
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Oh please. If you a game costs almost as much as a new game or is restricted as to where you can buy it....that's pretty much going to kill the used game market. As a consumer this should give you pause. Why should a game have to activated? It's on a freaking disc. There should be NO activation fee.LJS9502_basic

This is all I saw regarding that issue..

We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we've confirmed. While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail. Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios.

Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend's house -- should you choose to play your game at your friend's house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57586048-75/microsoft-reportedly-to-take-cut-on-used-xbox-one-game-sales/

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

This is a huge blow to the used industry. So much for getting used games at significantly lower prices, bargain bins are going to be a thing of the past with this policy. 

You just can't wait to f*ck every consumer over, can you Microsoft? Welcome to the future, where you own nothing and corporations have complete control. 

The f*cking games industry man. I can't wait until they actually see their profits are less without the used market. 

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

alexwatchtower

This is all I saw regarding that issue..

We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we've confirmed. While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail. Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios.

Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend's house -- should you choose to play your game at your friend's house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57586048-75/microsoft-reportedly-to-take-cut-on-used-xbox-one-game-sales/

Which means you have to pay to play used games. It's that simple. Why are you arguing this?
Systems_Id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Systems_Id
Member since 2002 • 8156 Posts

[QUOTE="Systems_Id"]

alexwatchtower

But I will say this. I also don't like what GameStop was doing and the savvy gamers who basically worked hand in hand with GameStop to screw both publishers and rental stores over. 

The rest of your post was nothing but corporate ballwashing but this...this really stuck out at me. You're blaming GameStop and gamers for this?

Was it gamers that forced developers to get into a dickwaving contest to see who could pump the most money into 6 hour games?

Was it gamers that thought they could all chase after that Call of Duty money?

Was it gamers that forced Square Enix to pump $100 million dollars into Tomb Raider? A game that, despite selling 3.4 ****ing million copies, was a financial disappointment? A game that hasn't done huge numbers since the PS One days? Ditto for Hitman: Absolution, which I believe is the highest selling entry in the franchise

Was it gamers that forced MS to pump out a fourth Gears of War (as much as I loved it) despite NO ONE asking for it?

Was it gamers that force Sony to pump out a fourth God of War (again, as much as I loved it) despite NO ONE asking for it?

Was it gamers that forced Activision to shut down all those studios, sometimes BEFORE said studios even shipped their game?

Was it gamers that forced Activision to saturate the market with MULTIPLE Guitar Hero games a year?

Was it gamers that forced THQ to continue pumping out shitty uDraw tablets despite NO ONE asking for them?

Was it gamers that forced Capcom to create a reboot destined to tank because it was a great idea to reboot an already successful in an effort to chase an audience that didn't exist?

Are you out of your goddamn mind?

Quit blaming gamers because game companies are incompetent and don't know how to run their businesses. The industry, at least the AAA side of it, is in this mess because they don't know how to budget their ****ing games correctly. 

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 alexwatchtower

Which means you have to pay to play used games. It's that simple. Why are you arguing this?LJS9502_basic

Huh? That makes no sense. You have to pay to play used games today! Yes if you want to play a used game, I would assume you have to buy it....

Don't you now?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#65 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

Microsoft is not the industry: microsoft is part of the industry. The industry is made by publishers and developers. Used game retailers paying the devil's due to microsoft doesn't help developers at all. So unless you can prove microsoft said they are going to share with the developers the used game cut they'll get from gamestop, don't try to sell us the idea that the used games block will help the industry: it will only help microsoft and no one else.

UpInFlames

According to GameSpot's article, both the publisher of the game and Microsoft will automatically recieve a cut of the sale.

Fair enough then. This makes it a little less offensive. Still does nothing to solve the bigger issue at hand though, that I can't pass a game to my buddy. That is inexcusable.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Which means you have to pay to play used games. It's that simple. Why are you arguing this?alexwatchtower

Huh? That makes no sense. You have to pay to play used games today! Yes if you want to play a used game, I would assume you have to buy it....

Don't you now?

There is no added fee now. Which there will be. Hence...used games will be more expensive. Business 101.
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 alexwatchtower

The rest of your post was nothing but corporate ballwashing but this...this really stuck out at me. You're blaming GameStop and gamers for this?

Was it gamers that forced developers to get into a dickwaving contest to see who could pump the most money into 6 hour games?

Was it gamers that thought they could all chase after that Call of Duty money?

Was it gamers that forced Square Enix to pump $100 million dollars into Tomb Raider? A game that, despite selling 3.4 ****ing million copies, was a financial disappointment? A game that hasn't done huge numbers since the PS One days? Ditto for Hitman: Absolution, which I believe is the highest selling entry in the franchise

Was it gamers that forced MS to pump out a fourth Gears of War (as much as I loved it) despite NO ONE asking for it?

Was it gamers that force Sony to pump out a fourth God of War (again, as much as I loved it) despite NO ONE asking for it?

Was it gamers that forced Activision to shut down all those studios, sometimes BEFORE said studios even shipped their game?

Was it gamers that forced Activision to saturate the market with MULTIPLE Guitar Hero games a year?

Was it gamers that forced THQ to continue pumping out shitty uDraw tablets despite NO ONE asking for them?

Was it gamers that forced Capcom to create a reboot destined to tank because it was a great idea to reboot an already successful in an effort to chase an audience that didn't exist?

Are you out of your goddamn mind?

Quit blaming gamers because game companies are incompetent and don't know how to run their businesses. The industry, at least the AAA side of it, is in this mess because they don't know how to budget their ****ing games correctly. 

Systems_Id

Nothing what you wrote has anything to do with the issue I disscussed. Companies making stupid decisions and bad investments doesn't make that ok.

No I'm blaming GameStop and gamers who use the trade-in system tobi-pass purchasing a new game AND renting new releases DAY 1 by effectively renting them as soon as they come out, GameStop encouraging it, effectively renting games when they are HOT. Publishers lost out. Reting a game when it comes out at retail has NEVER been a standard practice in this industry and GameStop effectively created this model. It was standard policy rental stores got them a few weeks later. And if you are defending that, that's just as bad.

That is part of what killed Blockbuster! They had to wait 2 weeks or more to get sometimes 50+ copies of a big game, and then most people didn't rent them because they already rented them, day 1, from GameStop for $10-15 bucks. And I hate the fact they are no longer around.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

This is so messed up, what a cluster***.

I sell my games on craigslist and get 40+ dollars for games.  No way Gamestop matches that a month after release.

Secondly, lets say GS gives you 30 and sells it for 40, who would buy new?  You are just paying for an activation code after all.  So many implications, I wont be supporting MS.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 MrGeezer

Nothing what you wrote has anything to do with the issue I disscussed. Companies making stupid decisions and bad investments doesn't make that ok.

No I'm blaming GameStop and gamers who use the trade-in system tobi-pass purchasing a new game AND renting new releases DAY 1 by effectively renting them as soon as they come out, GameStop encouraging it, effectively renting games when they are HOT. Publishers lost out. Reting a game when it comes out at retail has NEVER been a standard practice in this industry and GameStop effectively created this model. It was standard policy rental stores got them a few weeks later. And if you are defending that, that's just as bad.

That is part of what killed Blockbuster! They had to wait 2 weeks or more to get sometimes 50+ copies of a big game, and then most people didn't rent them because they already rented them, day 1, from GameStop for $10-15 bucks. And I hate the fact they are no longer around.

alexwatchtower
Gamestop isn't in the rental business. These are game sales. If they resemble rentals, that's because gamers have no reason to keep them for more than a few days after buying them. That's not Gamestop's fault, that's the publisher's fault for charging $60 for games that aren't worth any more than a rental.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#70 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

This is so messed up, what a cluster***.

I sell my games on craigslist and get 40+ dollars for games.  No way Gamestop matches that a month after release.

Secondly, lets say GS gives you 30 and sells it for 40, who would buy new?  You are just paying for an activation code after all.  So many implications, I wont be supporting MS.

F1Lengend
Not to mention that way gamestop would only turn a $1 or $2 profit on each game. That doesn't even cover logistics costs.
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

MrGeezer

Gamestop isn't in the rental business. These are game sales. If they resemble rentals, that's because gamers have no reason to keep them for more than a few days after buying them. That's not Gamestop's fault, that's the publisher's fault for charging $60 for games that aren't worth any more than a rental.

No shit! But that is exactly what they did.

My friend did it with every single new game release. He'd buy it for $60 beat it real fast, and would go and get trade-in credit for as much as for $40-50 the next day. Then when I would walk into GameStop,, they would encourage me, for example, to buy the used copy for $50, cause not only is it cheaper, but I could come back tomorrow and trade it right back in for $40. Basically I'd rent a new release for $10 bucks.

GameStop flipped them God knows how many times for the first month, then they would stop taking trade-ins when the interest cooled off. This flipping of new releases, killed the publishers and rental stores.

Buy the time rentals came out, and Blockbuster loaded up on 50+ copies of freaking Tomb Raider or whatever, most gamers in my area, didn't need it. They were good. 

Publishers lost out. Manufacturers lost out. Rental stores lost out. "Legs" lost out. 

That wasn't the case in the 90's you know? If you didn't want to buy it, you would wait for weeks until your rental store got it. If your rental store didn't get it, or someone else rented it, then you were shit out of luck, and you might break and go buy it new.

And you know what the worst part of that was? Unlike rental stores who were given limited copies of niche games, or none at all, in order to encourage new game sales, GameStop basically provided easy access and unlimited rentals on new releases across the board. 

PS: You know where my friend learned how to do this? When he got a summer job at GameStop and they trained him for it! And then told me about it.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 MrGeezer

No shit! But that is exactly what they did.

My friend did it with every single new game release. He'd buy it for $60 beat it real fast, and would go and get trade-in credit for as much as for $40-50 the next day. Then when I would walk into GameStop,, they would encourage me, for example, to buy the used copy for $50, cause not only is it cheaper, but I could come back tomorrow and trade it right back in for $40. Basically I'd rent a new release for $10 bucks.

GameStop flipped them God knows how many times for the first month, then they would stop taking trade-ins when the interest cooled off. This flipping of new releases, killed the publishers and rental stores.

Buy the time rentals came out, and Blockbuster loaded up on 50+ copies of freaking Tomb Raider or whatever, most gamers in my area, didn't need it. They were good. 

Publishers lost out. Manufacturers lost out. Rental stores lost out. "Legs" lost out. 

That wasn't the case in the 90's you know? If you didn't want to buy it, you would wait for weeks until your rental store got it. If your rental store didn't get it, or someone else rented it, then you were shit out of luck, and you might break and go buy it new.

And you know what the worst part of that was? Unlike rental stores who were given limited copies of niche games, or none at all, in order to encourage new game sales, GameStop basically provided easy access and unlimited rentals on new releases across the board. 

PS: You know where my friend learned how to do this? When he got a summer job at GameStop and they trained him for it! And then told me about it.

alexwatchtower
Again, boo freaking hoo. This was a direct result of games not being worth the price. I'm supposed to have sympathy for a company whose financial woes result from them failing to provide a product that their customers think is worth buying?
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 alexwatchtower

Again, boo freaking hoo. This was a direct result of games not being worth the price. I'm supposed to have sympathy for a company whose financial woes result from them failing to provide a product that their customers think is worth buying?MrGeezer

Don't. But that's just the thing, how do you know it wasn't? That practice didn't help things. It did impact things whether or not you want to acknowledge it. GameStop took out a lot of companies and then overreached and decided to cross the line even further by encouraging a practice that dug even deeper in the publishers' pockets. And now they don't have much sympathy for GameStop or us. I guess we'll find out if it wasn't worth the price soon enough. 

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 MrGeezer

Don't. But that's just the thing, how do you know it wasn't? That practice didn't help things. It did impact things whether or not you want to acknowledge it. GameStop took out a lot of companies and then overreached and decided to cross the line even further by encouraging a practice that dug even deeper in the publishers' pockets. And now they don't have much sympathy for GameStop or us. I guess we'll find out if it wasn't worth the price soon enough. 

alexwatchtower
That practice didn't help things? If anything, one could argue that it helps to weed out the companies that are either plagued by horrible management or just plain suck at making games. Bad companies dying off is actually a good thing.
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

MrGeezer

That practice didn't help things? If anything, one could argue that it helps to weed out the companies that are either plagued by horrible management or just plain suck at making games. Bad companies dying off is actually a good thing.

Sure. But it's not just bad companies that got affected by that. In fact more often than not, it was actually the good games. It affected a lot of games that had really good single player experiences but perhaps not so much replay or multiplayer value. Adventure games, like Tomb Raider, or Uncharted, for example. Story-based, linear games. And those can cost a lot of money to make.

Look you guys are giving me heat for something I personally hate just as much as you do. It's against my principles as well. So I'm kind of done with this issue. All I was trying to do is clarify the facts. Not defending Microsoft or anyone else in this issue, because it's something I personally am completely against. But I also won't sit here and blame it on one side when I know for a fact, it wasn't just one side that created a problem. And I didn't even mention piracy. 

RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 RandoIphF
Member since 2013 • 271 Posts
Strange idea. If they want people to stop trading in their games a week after they come out, maybe they should make games worth keeping for more than a week. Most games are sh*t, and are too expensive. Most people trade games to places like Gamestop because they couldn't afford new games otherwise, or too make a game that is an exceptionally poor value a little easier to swallow by making it cheaper. You take that option away from them, and they just won't be able to afford new games. The used market and the new market are directly tied to each other. Kill the used market, and new game sales WILL tank.
RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 RandoIphF
[QUOTE="dvader654"] Some games simply should be cheaper than others. There is no flexibility in this market. Its gotten to the point where a cheaper game is almost looked down upon as if its an inferior product. This industry is nuts.

Agreed. None of those trashy vapid Call of Duty games should be more than $39. Having the yearly COD release for sixty dollars right next to a content rich game like say Skyrim is insulting. I thought the same thing about MGS Rising when it came out. "Why does this six hour action game cost more than a RPG with hundreds of hours of play time??". I'm STILL waiting for it to drop to a reasonable price for what it actually offers.
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#80 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
There is no possitive spin for this no matter how you look at it. Here comes Microsoft to screw the status quo of something that has worked just fine for as long as gaming consoles have existed, people buying and selling used games as they always have while the industry just kept growing and growing, becoming more popular and wide spread but all of the sudden it is not fair for the publishers. It suddenly just so happens when the technology is there for them to enable this trampling of consumer rights and "First Sale Doctrine" that suddenly this makes so much sense and somehow these greedy corporate bastards have the audacity to tell us that it is all right and even good for the industry. How exactly making thing mores complicated and confusing as this cluster**** of a scheme be good for customers or anybody? Why couldn't be just as simple as "you can buy, sell and trade your games as always" period! Things have to be made more simple and advantageous, not more complicated and restrictive. But no, Microsoft goes: "Dear consumers, spread those ass cheeks wide while big bro MS shoves a horse's cock up your ass, don't worry, over time you'll get used to it and will feel natural and learn to appreciate it." "Remember, we are doing this for you own good!" (Mods can erase this part if they feel it is too crass, but I just needed to write it down.) Don't piss on my leg and tell me it is raining Microsoft!
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#81 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

alexwatchtower
First of all, WTF? GameStop would never give $50 for ANY new game, trust me on that one. Just never, ever ever. If he bought the game for $60, and even trades it in for $30 and buys another game.. GameStop makes about $9 off the initial purchase of that game, and then $9 off the game your 'friend' bought with his trade credit. Trust me, $9 is all GameStop makes off new purchase($59.99) games. AS for GameStop stopping taking the trades after the interest cooled off.. that right theres proves you have NO IDEA wtf you're talking about.
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

dotWithShoes

First of all, WTF? GameStop would never give $50 for ANY new game, trust me on that one. Just never, ever ever. If he bought the game for $60, and even trades it in for $30 and buys another game.. GameStop makes about $9 off the initial purchase of that game, and then $9 off the game your 'friend' bought with his trade credit. Trust me, $9 is all GameStop makes off new purchase($59.99) games. AS for GameStop stopping taking the trades after the interest cooled off.. that right theres proves you have NO IDEA wtf you're talking about.

I've gotten as much as $45 for some 360 games. 

I think you missed that last point. I never said they stopped taking in trades completely.

This is a well known practice.

In addition to that, they've also re-foil wrapped games and sold them as new.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#83 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70414 Posts

I don't get the logic of Gamestop hurting the industry. They facilitate and on going cycle of buying new games, selling back the new games to buy more new games. Has Gamestop profited immensely on these transactions? Yes. However, I don't believe it had a negative effect on the industry. Now MS and publisher want a cut on these transactions when they already made a profit from the original purchase. This new method significantly hinders and devalues the purchase of physical games for the system. When this system passes its prime and is no longer supported, all of the games would die with it. You would not be able to buy games from other gamers because of this new anti used game policy. The original beauty of console gaming was simplicity and not its just a restricted/heavily controlled version of a PC.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 dotWithShoes

[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

alexwatchtower

I've gotten as much as $45 for some 360 games. 

I think you missed that last point. I never said they stopped taking in trades completely.

This is a well known practice.

In addition to that, they've also re-foil wrapped games and sold them as new.

Unless its a very rare occasion of a 50% extra bonus or something like that, most new releases have a $25-30 TIC, and thats it. If you got more, you either had a employee not doing their job correctly, or you got a very awesome promotion. Or, you're a liar. I know GameStop's practices very well, and have for a long while now. You'd be suprised, but there are some people who know what GameStop does better than someone who "worked their for the summer". edited to add this, Find me a game that GameStop currently gives $45 for, I would love to know what title that is. GameStop flipped them God knows how many times for the first month, then they would stop taking trade-ins when the interest cooled off. This flipping of new releases, killed the publishers and rental stores. Then they would stop taking trade-ins when the interest cooled off. Sorry if I dont understand your backwards logic, what you said that I quoted there is you NOT saying they stop taking trades?
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 alexwatchtower

Unless its a very rare occasion of a 50% extra bonus or something like that, most new releases have a $25-30 TIC, and thats it. If you got more, you either had a employee not doing their job correctly, or you got a very awesome promotion. Or, you're a liar. I know GameStop's practices very well, and have for a long while now. You'd be suprised, but there are some people who know what GameStop does better than someone who "worked their for the summer". edited to add this, Find me a game that GameStop currently gives $45 for, I would love to know what title that is.

Then they would stop taking trade-ins when the interest cooled off. Sorry if I dont understand your backwards logic, what you said that I quoted there is you NOT saying they stop taking trades?dotWithShoes

I have no idea what GameStop does nowadays. This was well over 3 years ago way before I sold my 360 but I myself have gotten more 25-30. I'll have to ask him if he's still doing that nowadays but I'm sure he still is.

You're reading too much into something that has little to do with it and not enough into what I am explaining. They were effectively creating a carousel of renters until their local client base for a new release was exhausted. They were in essence encouranging a short term day 1 rental model, then encouraged used price purchases over new while the game was hot. I don't know where you worked or who you dealt with but offering 40 dollars or more in some instances, yes overpaying on top of their normal value, a day or two after the game came out was part of what made everything work so they could quickly stock up on multiple copies of hot releases which they could then make a larger profit selling them used. They enticed initial new game buyers to finish the game quickly in order for them to get their hands on multiple used copies. This encouraged more gamers to "rent from them" because they could come right back in a day and get top trade-in dollar for their initial purchase. The second person, who bought the used copy for $50 would come back and get your typical 30-40TIC the next day and so on until things got back to normal. You understand? So for example, instead of Gamestop selling 10-15 new copies of a game, using this practice, they might end up selling 5 or 6, and flipping them 3 times because those initial buyer/renters, learned the deal, and repeat it week after week or month after month. 

Yeah it was screwed up because it definitely affected publishers and new game sales.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 dotWithShoes

[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"] Unless its a very rare occasion of a 50% extra bonus or something like that, most new releases have a $25-30 TIC, and thats it. If you got more, you either had a employee not doing their job correctly, or you got a very awesome promotion. Or, you're a liar. I know GameStop's practices very well, and have for a long while now. You'd be suprised, but there are some people who know what GameStop does better than someone who "worked their for the summer". edited to add this, Find me a game that GameStop currently gives $45 for, I would love to know what title that is.

Then they would stop taking trade-ins when the interest cooled off. Sorry if I dont understand your backwards logic, what you said that I quoted there is you NOT saying they stop taking trades?alexwatchtower

I have no idea what GameStop does nowadays. This was well over 3 years ago way before I sold my 360 but I myself have gotten more 25-30. I'll have to ask him if he's still doing that nowadays but I'm sure he still is.

You're reading too much into something that has little to do with it and not enough into what I am explaining. They were effectively creating a carousel of renters until their local client base for a new release was exhausted. They were in essence encouranging a short term day 1 rental model, then encouraged used price purchases over new while the game was hot. I don't know where you worked or who you dealt with but offering 40 dollars or more in some instances, yes overpaying on top of their normal value, a day or two after the game came out was part of what made everything work so they could quickly stock up on multiple copies of hot releases which they could then make a larger profit selling them used. They enticed initial new game buyers to finish the game quickly in order for them to get their hands on multiple used copies. This encouraged more gamers to "rent from them" because they could come right back in a day and get top trade-in dollar for their initial purchase. The second person, who bought the used copy for $50 would come back and get your typical 30-40TIC the next day and so on until things got back to normal. You understand? So for example, instead of Gamestop selling 10-15 new copies of a game, using this practice, they might end up selling 5 or 6, and flipping them 3 times because those initial buyer/renters, learned the deal, and repeat it week after week or month after month. 

Yeah it was screwed up because it definitely affected publishers and new game sales.

You still talk like you know what you're talking about. Even 3 years ago, GameStop wasn't that much different than they are now with their TIC, if anything the TIC is more now than it was then on most new releases. Even if they gave $40 for a new release, and then in turn sold it for $50(which I've never seen, most new releases are $54.99, not $50.), they make a $10 profit which is NOT a profit for them when you take into account the other things that that $10 has to go towards. What I'm reading into is the fact that you are talking about something do not know about apparently. I've seen it personally, where someone bought a brand new game.. as I recall it was Call of Duty Black Ops 2, a guy traded one in the SAME day it came out last November.. he got $30 TIC. $30 THE DAY IT CAME OUT! Yes, this would have been the same way 3 years ago the first Black Ops came out, the same when MW2 came out,. I actually dealt with a guy who traded in a copy of MW2 the day it came out. So yeah, you don't know where I work but I can assure you I know more about the TIC that GameStop gives than you do.
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 alexwatchtower

You still talk like you know what you're talking about. Even 3 years ago, GameStop wasn't that much different than they are now with their TIC, if anything the TIC is more now than it was then on most new releases. Even if they gave $40 for a new release, and then in turn sold it for $50(which I've never seen, most new releases are $54.99, not $50.), they make a $10 profit which is NOT a profit for them when you take into account the other things that that $10 has to go towards. What I'm reading into is the fact that you are talking about something do not know about apparently. I've seen it personally, where someone bought a brand new game.. as I recall it was Call of Duty Black Ops 2, a guy traded one in the SAME day it came out last November.. he got $30 TIC. $30 THE DAY IT CAME OUT! Yes, this would have been the same way 3 years ago the first Black Ops came out, the same when MW2 came out,. I actually dealt with a guy who traded in a copy of MW2 the day it came out. So yeah, you don't know where I work but I can assure you I know more about the TIC that GameStop gives than you do.dotWithShoes

Not a profit for them? LOL. What exactly do you think GameStop does with them? They scan it, put it on a shelf, and then another guy comes in and buys it. 

Ok and I'm telling you I have seen my friend do this shit for years now. And I assure you everyone and their mother knew this was taking place. Maybe you were at a store that was actually running it the way it's supposed to be.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 dotWithShoes

[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"] You still talk like you know what you're talking about. Even 3 years ago, GameStop wasn't that much different than they are now with their TIC, if anything the TIC is more now than it was then on most new releases. Even if they gave $40 for a new release, and then in turn sold it for $50(which I've never seen, most new releases are $54.99, not $50.), they make a $10 profit which is NOT a profit for them when you take into account the other things that that $10 has to go towards. What I'm reading into is the fact that you are talking about something do not know about apparently. I've seen it personally, where someone bought a brand new game.. as I recall it was Call of Duty Black Ops 2, a guy traded one in the SAME day it came out last November.. he got $30 TIC. $30 THE DAY IT CAME OUT! Yes, this would have been the same way 3 years ago the first Black Ops came out, the same when MW2 came out,. I actually dealt with a guy who traded in a copy of MW2 the day it came out. So yeah, you don't know where I work but I can assure you I know more about the TIC that GameStop gives than you do.alexwatchtower

Not a profit for them? LOL. What exactly do you think GameStop does with them? They scan it, put it on a shelf, and then another guy comes in and buys it. 

Ok and I'm telling you I have seen my friend do this shit for years now. And I assure you everyone and their mother knew this was taking place. Maybe you were at a store that was actually running it the way it's supposed to be.

They scan it, put on a shelf, and someone else buys it. So that $10 they make on that game is pure profit? How do they play their employees? pay the rent on where the store is located? electric bill? security company? insurance? phone? How do they pay for that stuff? It's not 100% profit for the company/store. I can say I've seen Big foot for years taking a dump in my yard, just because it's not your yard it's happening in doesn't mean it isn't happening.
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 alexwatchtower

They scan it, put on a shelf, and someone else buys it. So that $10 they make on that game is pure profit? How do they play their employees? pay the rent on where the store is located? electric bill? security company? insurance? phone? How do they pay for that stuff? It's not 100% profit for the company/store. I can say I've seen Big foot for years taking a dump in my yard, just because it's not your yard it's happening in doesn't mean it isn't happening.dotWithShoes

Dude, I hope you realize GameSpot makes more than 40% of their profit on their used game sales, have no debt, and a fortune 500 company. Trust me, their overhead is little to none. Cry me a damn river about one of the greedies videogame retailers that's a big part of the reason this is taking place right now.

And not that I support it, because I'm totally against this, but if MS caps them at 10% then oh well. I don't give a damn about GameStop. $4-5 per game tops sounds fair to me. 

I'm more worried more about you and me being able to sell a game to each other at used game prices. That's what matters.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 MrGeezer
I'm more worried more about you and me being able to sell a game to each other at used game prices. alexwatchtower
I just need a bit of clarification here: do you think that Microsoft and the game publisher should get a cut whenever you and I sell a game to each other? Suppose we leave Gamestop out of this entirely. I have the X1 version of some game, and I sell that used copy to you over ebay or in person face-to-face. How much of a cut should Microsoft and the publisher get there? Five dollars? Ten dollars? Thirty dollars? Hell, even if I want to straight up give you a game for free after I'm done with it, isn't that still f***ing over Microsoft and the publishers just as much as if that particular copy had been sold back to Gamestop? Either way, someone's getting a pre-owned X1 game without giving Microsoft and the publishers money every time the game is transferred to a new owner. You seem to be thinking of personal transactions between single players as somehow different from what Gamestop does, but it isn't. All Gamestop is doing is buying pre-owned games and selling pre-owned games. Which is EXACTLY the same as what you or I do when we sell or buy pre-owned games through ebay or Amazon or face-to-face. The only difference is that Gamestop does it in much higher volume. But the supposed meat of the complaint against Gamestop, that they're f***ing over Microsoft and the publishers by buying and selling without giving money to Microsoft and the publishers still applies 100%. Why should Microsoft's policy on "you and me being able to sell games to each other" be any different than Microsoft's policy on used game sales involving Gamestop? In the past, if you buy a game and then want to transfer ownership to someone else, you could decide exactly how much money needed to be exchanged in order for you to give up the game.You bought Road Rash, and didn't like it, so you trade it to the nerd on the school bus in exchange for his ham sandwich and a couple of X-Men pogs. Is that kid f***ing over the game industry? Hell dude..if I straight up decide to GIVE you a game because I'm done with it and I think you might like it, that fits squarely in the exact same boat. The entire rationale behind Gamestop "stealing money from the creators" says that I'm doing the exact same thing every time I give away a pre-owned game as a GIFT. Someone once gave me an Atari 7800 and 20 games as a gift because he was sick of gaming and thought it'd be better to give the games to someone who might like them rather than simply throw them in the trash. I gave away my Sega Genesis and Playstation 1 (along with all the games I had) because I was done with them and thought that someone broker than my broke-ass might like them. Is THAT the kind of thing that's hurting the game industry? "F*** Gamestop, I'm worried about transactions between you and me." Uh...REALLY? You should realize that the difference between Gamestop and "you and me" is really freaking thin, the only difference is that Gamestop deals with a lot more volume. If I give someone a $***ton of used games for his birthday, or even sell him a used copy of a game that I bought and didn't like, is that f***ing over the creators? MAYBE. But if this industry can't survive in the presence of that kind of routine and standard reselling, then it needs to f***ing DIE. If this industry is so goddamn weak that reselling crappy-ass games (or simply giving them away) because they suck and have no value to buyers beyond a few weeks is killing the industry, then this industry needs to DIE.
RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 RandoIphF
If this industry is so goddamn weak that reselling crappy-ass games (or simply giving them away) because they suck and have no value to buyers beyond a few weeks is killing the industry, then this industry needs to DIE.MrGeezer
Well said, and absolutely true.
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]I'm more worried more about you and me being able to sell a game to each other at used game prices. MrGeezer
I just need a bit of clarification here: do you think that Microsoft and the game publisher should get a cut whenever you and I sell a game to each other? Suppose we leave Gamestop out of this entirely. I have the X1 version of some game, and I sell that used copy to you over ebay or in person face-to-face. How much of a cut should Microsoft and the publisher get there? Five dollars? Ten dollars? Thirty dollars? Hell, even if I want to straight up give you a game for free after I'm done with it, isn't that still f***ing over Microsoft and the publishers just as much as if that particular copy had been sold back to Gamestop? Either way, someone's getting a pre-owned X1 game without giving Microsoft and the publishers money every time the game is transferred to a new owner. You seem to be thinking of personal transactions between single players as somehow different from what Gamestop does, but it isn't. All Gamestop is doing is buying pre-owned games and selling pre-owned games. Which is EXACTLY the same as what you or I do when we sell or buy pre-owned games through ebay or Amazon or face-to-face. The only difference is that Gamestop does it in much higher volume. But the supposed meat of the complaint against Gamestop, that they're f***ing over Microsoft and the publishers by buying and selling without giving money to Microsoft and the publishers still applies 100%. Why should Microsoft's policy on "you and me being able to sell games to each other" be any different than Microsoft's policy on used game sales involving Gamestop? In the past, if you buy a game and then want to transfer ownership to someone else, you could decide exactly how much money needed to be exchanged in order for you to give up the game.You bought Road Rash, and didn't like it, so you trade it to the nerd on the school bus in exchange for his ham sandwich and a couple of X-Men pogs. Is that kid f***ing over the game industry? Hell dude..if I straight up decide to GIVE you a game because I'm done with it and I think you might like it, that fits squarely in the exact same boat. The entire rationale behind Gamestop "stealing money from the creators" says that I'm doing the exact same thing every time I give away a pre-owned game as a GIFT. Someone once gave me an Atari 7800 and 20 games as a gift because he was sick of gaming and thought it'd be better to give the games to someone who might like them rather than simply throw them in the trash. I gave away my Sega Genesis and Playstation 1 (along with all the games I had) because I was done with them and thought that someone broker than my broke-ass might like them. Is THAT the kind of thing that's hurting the game industry? "F*** Gamestop, I'm worried about transactions between you and me." Uh...REALLY? You should realize that the difference between Gamestop and "you and me" is really freaking thin, the only difference is that Gamestop deals with a lot more volume. If I give someone a $***ton of used games for his birthday, or even sell him a used copy of a game that I bought and didn't like, is that f***ing over the creators? MAYBE. But if this industry can't survive in the presence of that kind of routine and standard reselling, then it needs to f***ing DIE. If this industry is so goddamn weak that reselling crappy-ass games (or simply giving them away) because they suck and have no value to buyers beyond a few weeks is killing the industry, then this industry needs to DIE.

First, to answer your question, I don't think Microsoft and devs should get a dime, but if they do get something, it should be similar to what they're doing with GameStop. If you ask me, the benefits of limited piracy is enough for them considering we're now getting our hands tied and losing so much freedom. They definitely don't deserve an additional percentage.

No what I think GameStop was doing was boosting the used game sales market over its normal volume with this volume rental bi-passing and used game purchase encouragement during a new release game period. If I want to play a copy of some smaller nich game in the 90's a day or two, after release, there was very little chance I was going to be able to find it used anywhere.  I was not able going to find you anywhere to give me the game.

The only way I could is wait a couple of weeks, or wait to find it in a rental store or I could buy it brand new. With GameStop, I could either buy it new and trade it in right away and renting it at a premium price, or wait 1 day and usually find it on the shelf used at a discounted price. I could almost count for that cheaper discounted copy being there, that I could also rent and come back and trade it in. And I could do this with pretty much any game.

The reason I'm saying is I don't care about GameSpot I care about you and me, is because right now, as things are, they still are in the damn equation. What you described in your first paragraph is not officially confirmed. So yeah, they seem to be fine, they just won't be getting those $20 or more profit margin levels they have been getting fat on. Heck depending on how much the cut is on used games, Microsoft might even allow them to do as many 1 day rentals as they wish, because the publishers and them will now get a cut every time. So it works out for them! In fact, now Microsoft and publishers might even encourage it themselves since they'll probably prefer not to have to print actual disc copies and packaging.

I want to know if this same deal, will be extended to you and I, because I don't deal with that company anyway. At worst, I would at least want to be able to sell it on Ebay.  So when I see you guys talking about "poor GameStop"...screw that...what about poor you and me? They haven't said a thing about you and I doing this, and being able to set our own prices on Ebay or anywhere else. That's what concerns me. 

In fact if they don't give this to me and you, then the only reason they're not is precisely to keep retailers like GameStop in business, because with a digital distribution system, GameStop would basically be screwed since we would never use them.

Oh and another thing, truth is they're going to be screwed anyway, because that's where this is eventually ending up. So Microsoft might be doing them a favor by keeping them around a little longer than they should be. I just hope this favor isn't going to be paid by you and I not being able to privately sale our games. 

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 UpInFlames

Major Nelson has now said that these reports are innacurate and incomplete. New sources claim there will be no activation fees to play used games at all, but will mandate regular checks to verify the authenticity of games.

They really need to just come out and clarify this.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 alexwatchtower

Major Nelson has now said that these reports and innacurate and incomplete. New sources claim there will be no activation fees at all.

UpInFlames

Yeah but that's what worries me, That means no private to private sales basically. I WANT activation fees. That's the only thing that could allow for a set your own price, private party, used games market.

The "activation fee" is the cut MS and publishers will get. That's there regardless. That just means only GameStop and retailers have the luxury of a used games market.

I would have been perfectly ok wth paying a small 10%, even off a new game price tag, to activate my game if I could still buy it off you for $30. Means my cost would just now go up by $5. That wouldn't be so hard to swallow.

Unless I hope to God they extend it to Ebay.

Edit: Oh wait that's the same old stance we already know. Nothing new there.

"Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios."

Trust me you guys should want activation fees. I'm still crossing my fingers. No activation fee, no person-to person, used games market. Period.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Major Nelson has now said that these reports are innacurate and incomplete. New sources claim there will be no activation fees to play used games at all, but will mandate regular checks to verify the authenticity of games.

UpInFlames

lol These reports haven't been made up.. they contain QUOTES of major MS execs. 

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 UpInFlames

"Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios."alexwatchtower

Read the updates, not the original story.

[UPDATE] Following the publication of this story, Microsoft director of Xbox Live programming Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb provided a new statement on Xbox One and used games.

"The ability to trade in and resell games is important to gamers and to Xbox," he said. "Xbox One is designed to support the trade in and resale of games. Reports about our policies for trade in and resale are inaccurate and incomplete. We will disclose more information in the near future."

[UPDATE 2] Sources have told Polygon that the Xbox One will not require gamers pay an activation fee to play used games, but will mandate regular checks to verify the authenticity of games.

Microsoft is also reportedly mulling over the idea of special "exemption codes" that could be provided to those in Internet-free scenarios, like active-duty soldiers.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

"Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios."UpInFlames

I wouldnt beleive anything POlygon has to say. They were bought out by Microsoft or something like that. They are as pro MS as you can be. Their authors are known MS apologists. Arthur Gies kept repeating how MS would be more powerful than the PS4 for months when the rumors stated the complete opposite. 

The second update is from Major Nelson himself. MS PR. The used games situation has been clarified to death. It's very simple. You can trade in your game, but only to authorized MS dealers who have the ability to deactivate game from your profile. The SOLE reason the system has to connect to the internet every 24 hours is to tell your console that the game you sold has been deactivated from your profile. Simple. 

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

"Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios."UpInFlames

[UPDATE] Following the publication of this story, Microsoft director of Xbox Live programming Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb provided a new statement on Xbox One and used games.

"The ability to trade in and resell games is important to gamers and to Xbox," he said. "Xbox One is designed to support the trade in and resale of games. Reports about our policies for trade in and resale are inaccurate and incomplete. We will disclose more information in the near future."

[UPDATE 2] Sources have told Polygon that the Xbox One will not require gamers pay an activation fee to play used games, but will mandate regular checks to verify the authenticity of games.

Microsoft is also reportedly mulling over the idea of special "exemption codes" that could be provided to those in Internet-free scenarios, like active-duty soldiers.

Yeah the first update is the same old same old. Wait for more info.

I'm still not clear on that second update. What the hell does it mean?

Sounds to me like they had a couple of options available, and they put some different bits of info out on the net to see how people would react. Testing the market.

You know it's possible all that bitching from people may have made them scrap the whole idea of you and I being able to sell games over the fear of the words: "activation fee". If the backlash made them change their mind, I hope you guys realize that probably just made it worse for us and we'll be limited to retailers only.

If they are hell bent on taking a fee of each used game sales, that was the only way to make private sales possible. Unless they have some sort of digital distribution system in place, where their fee will be included in every transaction.

I can't see it be possible if they won't add it to private sales, but will add it to each GameStop transaction. No way in hell that would work.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 S0lidSnake

ahahahahaa!

Just when I was talking about Polygon doing MS PR work for them they go ahead and say this. How nice of Microsoft to think of our soldiers! I bet Phil Harrison and the MS PR team is feeding them these little tidbits to generate some good PR out of this shitty situation.

Regardless, it is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. Why only soldiers? What about college students who cannot hook up their consoles to the college internet? What about kids who live with divorced parents and have two consoles? Do they get an exception code or would they have to pack up their console every weekend? Such a load of crap. 

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 alexwatchtower

ahahahahaa!

Just when I was talking about Polygon doing MS PR work for them they go ahead and say this. How nice of Microsoft to think of our soldiers! I bet Phil Harrison and the MS PR team is feeding them these little tidbits to generate some good PR out of this shitty situation.

Regardless, it is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. Why only soldiers? What about college students who cannot hook up their consoles to the college internet? What about kids who live with divorced parents and have two consoles? Do they get an exception code or would they have to pack up their console every weekend? Such a load of crap. 

S0lidSnake

That's dumb as shit, because if that's the case, then that says to me cloud networking will be used very sparingly. 

I think I'm just going to stop listenign to anything that comes out of these sources until E3. This is creating too much back and forth confusion and sepculation. They need to come out and freaking detail the entire damn process, or stop putting out little pieces of info at a time.