Clarification: X1 used game sales. How it works. The simple truth.

• 148 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 alexwatchtower
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

What you CAN DO:

-You can still go to any retailer that has agreed to MS's Terms of Service to sell your used game. 

-Retailers are free to charge/offer you whatever they want. Just like it is now.

-MS/Developers get a cut of the profit retailers make.

-When you sell a game, it gets wiped from your account. When a new person buys the used game, it gets added to theirs.

-You can still share games by going over to your friends house and using your account.

-You can share games by letting them have your account information.

-No direct fee. For retail.

What is NOT clarified:

-No private sales, person-to-person sale?

-No rentals?

-Will Ebay be included?

-Unconfirmed: used game retailers cut to be only 10%. Less than what they are getting now.

-UPDATE: "Many readers are asking whether the £35 will be additional cost on top of the price of buying the game. No, we believe that the £35 figure which is not our number, incidentally would cover the entire transaction. If correct this would leave retail with a cut per sale of around £3.50."

Publishers to receive cut of Xbox One pre-owned sales at retail

A gamer walks into a retailer and hands over the game they wish to sell. This will only be possible at retailers who have agreed to Microsofts T&Cs and more importantly integrated Microsofts cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own.

The game is then registered as having been trade-in on Microsofts system. The consumer who handed it over will subsequently see the game wiped from their account hence the until now ambiguous claim from Phil Harrison that the Xbox One would have to check in to Microsofts servers every 24 hours.

The retailer can then sell the pre-owned game at whatever price they like, although as part of the system the publisher of the title in question will automatically receive a percentage cut of the sale. As will Microsoft. The retailer will pocket the rest.

"While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail. Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios. Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friends house should you choose to play your game at your friends house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publishers-to-receive-cut-of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales-at-retail/0116137

Try to keep all the talk on this topic in here guys.

*Mods could you please lock all the other threads on this topic that have a lot of misinformation? I will try to update this with the other issues as it becomes available. Probably could use a sticky.

Dreamcast86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Dreamcast86
Member since 2013 • 296 Posts
Lol, dealbreaker.
Dreamcast86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dreamcast86
Member since 2013 • 296 Posts
This mean Gamestop will be getting even more money than ever before.
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 alexwatchtower

This mean Gamestop will be getting even more money than ever before.Dreamcast86

Damn, read! Less.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 alexwatchtower

That is about as one sides as it can get. This is a nice way of saying MS will put you out of buisness. 10% goes to retailers, lol, there is not one that will support that. This is another way of saying used games are done.dvader654

Why?

It's actually a nice compromise.

GameStop brick and mortar will suffer. GameStop online will be fine. 

I don't mean to sound like an ass but personally I don't care about GameStop, the middle man.

DVD and CD brick and mortar stores died a long time ago. It was only a matter of time games would follow through as well. 

I'm more interested in finding out if they are extending this ability to us personally and Ebay. Would be great if they would make it easier for us to sell games directly to each other.

Taking out the middle man does not bother me one bit.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

Consumers will end up paying more for their games on average if that happens. They're keeping Gamestop in the equation, but cutting their margins. To survive, Gamestop will be more reluctant to make sales and price drops, since they now have to make money on new game sales.

MS needs to set up a decent digital distribution system ASAP. They can't just mess up retailers profit margins and jack up retail prices without giving customers a decent alternative. Well, they can, but it would just make the PS4 and PC even more attractive than they already are.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 alexwatchtower

Consumers will end up paying more for their games on average if that happens. They're keeping Gamestop in the equation, but cutting their margins. To survive, Gamestop will be more reluctant to make sales and price drops, since they now have to make money on new game sales.

MS needs to set up a decent digital distribution system ASAP. They can't just mess up retailers profit margins and jack up retail prices without giving customers a decent alternative. Well, they can, but it would just make the PS4 and PC even more attractive than they already are.

ReddestSkies

That or Ebay. I could care less about GameStop. I just want to be able to sell my game to you, either directly or on Ebay. That's all. Don't force me to go to GameStop, or through a middle man.

PC doesn't have this at all. So why does it make the PC more attractive? It would be freaking fantastic if PC's at least had something like this.

However, I do see the benefit of developers getting a cut even though I don't think they necessarily deserve it. I'd still rather them get it than GameStop though.

There are some positives. Smaller developers, whose games are usually not bought new except for a few, and then bought used, will get a small cut. Could help developers take more risks. Niche games will have longer legs. They may also allow developers to lower prices, in which case, being able to profit second hand, could drop game prices similar to the PC.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black_Knight_00
F*cking hell this is so fascist it's unbelievable.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

So you can buy the used game at gamestop for, what 50 bucks? And then you have to spend 60 bucks to activate it? Wow, how are you defending this?Black_Knight_00

No, that's impossible. There would be no reason not to buy the game new. The cost of the entire transaction is basically the price of a new game which is still insanely stupid. Retailers will lower the price if they want to sell used games at all and they will keep lowering it as the price of the new game falls. It doesn't seem like things will change that much, it's just that Microsoft and the publishers will cut into the used games market.

The real problem is that it seems you won't be able to sell your game directly to another person, so you'll probably be losing money on each sale as retailers will have a complete monopoly and dictate the trade-in price which will most likely be extremely low.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 UpInFlames

[QUOTE="Dreamcast86"]This mean Gamestop will be getting even more money than ever before.alexwatchtower

Damn, read! Less.

They will get less money per sale, but on the other hand, ALL used game sales will go through select retailers. So it's still a good trade-off for them.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]So you can buy the used game at gamestop for, what 50 bucks? And then you have to spend 60 bucks to activate it? Wow, how are you defending this?UpInFlames

No, that's impossible. There would be no reason not to buy the game new. The cost of the entire transaction is basically the price of a new game which is still insanely stupid. Retailers will lower the price if they want to sell used games at all and they will keep lowering it as the price of the new game falls. It doesn't seem like things will change that much, it's just that Microsoft and the publishers will cut into the used games market.

The real problem is that it seems you won't be able to sell your game directly to another person, so you'll probably be losing money on each sale as retailers will have a complete monopoly and dictate the trade-in price which will most likely be extremely low.

Exactly. As far as selling your game to a retail store, nothing really changes for you. LOL. I wrote it as simple as I could if people would just read.

And the other part, as it says, is uncomfirmed. But if Ebay signs up for their ToS, that solves at least part of that problem.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

F*cking hell this is so fascist it's unbelievable.Black_Knight_00

How is that fascist?

I think its only fair that both the publisher and MS get a cut of the sale.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]F*cking hell this is so fascist it's unbelievable.S0lidSnake

How is that fascist?

I can't loan a game to a buddy unless he pays 60 bucks (70 in my country btw). That is fascist.
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]F*cking hell this is so fascist it's unbelievable.S0lidSnake

How is that fascist?

I still don't think it's fair they do on used games, but as long as we can still get something for our game.

Basically what it amounts to is this. People who buy games used, will be paying a small margin to the developer and microsoft, rather than just to places like GameStop. They will share that profit now. Now that part would be fair but only as long as it's them, Microsoft and developers, that provide that used game market services too.

It would be fair, if they also provide the digital distribution service.

But yeah, it's a lot better than the initial information that came out.

NexApex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 NexApex
Member since 2012 • 225 Posts

So NO MATTER WHAT - If we purchase it from craiglist or ebay - you STILL have to take it to a retailers (GameSpot, Best Buy, Fry's, etc) to have them place the "KEY"?? or is that even an option!?

I feel like the only way to sale a game now is strickly through a retailer who will give you pennies for the game you paid $60 for. Wonder how this will effect a games longitivity or rare value for collector's in the future when this gen well over... you wont be able to ACTIVATE IT!

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Black_Knight_00
Here's another thought: ok, gamestop only gets 10% of the used game sale. Does that mean the price will never drop? Because if I only got 10% of the sale I'd sure as hell would make sure to make that 10% as big as I can. Also it's not true that "nothing changes for you" because the soul of commerce is competition: it's thanks to competition that retailers are forced to lower prices on products, but as UpInFlames said, only selected retailers will be allowed into this loop, meaning we'll have a lobby holding a monopoly on used games and cutting private parties (you and I) out of the loop. Less competition=less pressure on retailers=higher final prices.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 S0lidSnake

Here's another thought: ok, gamestop only gets 10% of the used game sale. Does that mean the price will never drop? Because if I only got 10% of the sale I'd sure as hell would make sure to make that 10% as big as I can. Also it's not true that "nothing changes for you" because the soul of commerce is competition: it's thanks to competition that retailers are forced to lower prices on products, but as UpInFlames said, only selected retailers will be allowed into this loop, meaning we'll have a lobby holding a monopoly on used games and cutting private parties (you and I) out of the loop. Less competition=less pressure on retailers=higher final prices.Black_Knight_00

Its a shitty deal. It's anti-consumer and morally and ethically wrong. But at least i will still be able to trade in my games.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 alexwatchtower

So NO MATTER WHAT - If we purchase it from craiglist or ebay - you STILL have to take it to a retailers (GameSpot, Best Buy, Fry's, etc) to have them place the "KEY"?? or is that even an option!?

I feel like the only way to sale a game now is strickly through a retailer who will give you pennies for the game you paid $60 for. Wonder how this will effect a games longitivity or rare value for collector's in the future when this gen well over... you wont be able to ACTIVATE IT!

NexApex

First of all peronal, and craiglist and ebay sales have not been confirmed. Doesn't mean you can't they just said that's what they have figured out so far.

But no, assuming that is possible, you would likely be able to activate it yourself. I have no clue for what price though. Perhaps there will be a fee when they allow direct person to person sales? Might be a flat fee, so that's something gamers might get adjusted to quickly. In other words if you know there's going to be a 10% fee to active the account, say $5,  that would just roll back to how much you would be able to pay me for the used game.

If I wanna sell a game, and I'm selling it for $30, you know it will cost you $35. They probably -hopefully - will do something like this.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Here's another thought: ok, gamestop only gets 10% of the used game sale. Does that mean the price will never drop? Because if I only got 10% of the sale I'd sure as hell would make sure to make that 10% as big as I can. Also it's not true that "nothing changes for you" because the soul of commerce is competition: it's thanks to competition that retailers are forced to lower prices on products, but as UpInFlames said, only selected retailers will be allowed into this loop, meaning we'll have a lobby holding a monopoly on used games and cutting private parties (you and I) out of the loop. Less competition=less pressure on retailers=higher final prices.S0lidSnake

Its a shitty deal. It's anti-consumer and morally and ethically wrong. But at least i will still be able to trade in my games.

Couldn't have said it better myself. And thats how they will get us to swallow it. "At least I will still be able to trade in my games."

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UpInFlames

Here's another thought: ok, gamestop only gets 10% of the used game sale. Does that mean the price will never drop? Because if I only got 10% of the sale I'd sure as hell would make sure to make that 10% as big as I can. Also it's not true that "nothing changes for you" because the soul of commerce is competition: it's thanks to competition that retailers are forced to lower prices on products, but as UpInFlames said, only selected retailers will be allowed into this loop, meaning we'll have a lobby holding a monopoly on used games and cutting private parties (you and I) out of the loop. Less competition=less pressure on retailers=higher final prices.Black_Knight_00

By completely controlling the entire used market, it's possible that prices for new games won't fall as fast as they do now, therefore used game prices won't fall either. But as always, prices will be determined by supply and demand so we'll just have to wait and see how will things change in reality. One thing's for sure, used game prices will fall in accordance to new game prices.

RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RandoIphF
Member since 2013 • 271 Posts

How is that fascist?

So if I sell my Cobalt to fund a new car, should Chevrolet get a cut of the profit?

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]F*cking hell this is so fascist it's unbelievable.RandoIphF

How is that fascist?

So if I sell my Cobalt to fund a new car, should Chevrolet get a cut of the profit?

They're not taking it from you. They are taking it from the guy buying it. Kind of like if I buy your Cobalt I have to pay the state, registration and title fees.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Here's another thought: ok, gamestop only gets 10% of the used game sale. Does that mean the price will never drop? Because if I only got 10% of the sale I'd sure as hell would make sure to make that 10% as big as I can. Also it's not true that "nothing changes for you" because the soul of commerce is competition: it's thanks to competition that retailers are forced to lower prices on products, but as UpInFlames said, only selected retailers will be allowed into this loop, meaning we'll have a lobby holding a monopoly on used games and cutting private parties (you and I) out of the loop. Less competition=less pressure on retailers=higher final prices.alexwatchtower

Couldn't have said it better myself. And thats how they will get us to swallow it. "At least I will still be able to trade in my games."

And get EVEN LESS for them than you get now because "where else are you going to sell them? ebay? Nope, you can't, so get these $5 for your game"

It's a monopoly and monoplies hurt commerce on both sides.

The only reason gamestop doesn't give you 25 cent for your games today is because they know you can sell it for more on ebay, but with ebay out of the loop they have you by the balls

RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RandoIphF

And thats how they will get us to swallow it. "At least I will still be able to trade in my games."alexwatchtower

Actually what I will say to Microsoft, to quote the Hitch is "No, F*CK YOU". This is the point where I'm just done. If Sony is doing this too, I'll just have to keep playing what I already have and get by with a Wii U for now, and start back to retro gaming like I did in 2011. If others want to open wide and just "swallow it" by all means they can do so.  This isn't a lifestyle for me, it's a hobby.  I can cash in my chips and leave the table, and unlike some other hobbies, I have dozens of previous consoles worth of games to maintain an interest in it for (quite literally) decades to come.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
I have this odd sense PC gaming is going to overtake consoles big time this generation.
RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RandoIphF
I have this odd sense PC gaming is going to overtake consoles big time this generation.dkdk999
I havre to admit, it's tempting. Your PC at home is already always online, I already just don't use it at all if my internet is down, and Steam gives you a fantastic trade off for needing to be online to play the games you buy from them in that they have sales where said games can be DIRT CHEAP, for vastly superior versions of them no less. They just had Dark Souls: PTD in 1080p and 60fps for about seven bucks recently. Not to mention user mods taking bad games like Skyrim, and making them the great games they should have been all along.
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Black_Knight_00

And get EVEN LESS for them than you get now because "where else are you going to sell them? ebay? Nope, you can't, so get these $5 for your game"

The only reason gamestop doesn't give you 25 cent for your games today is because they know you can sell it for more on ebay, but with ebay out of the loop they have you by the balls

Uhm, ok in this thread I posted a link to a source. So far there has been no comment on that. If you have a link which says that you can't, please show it. Otherwise stop assuming! There's been enough confusion about this already.

And it's not a monopoly. There will be more than one retailer competing for your used games. 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Black_Knight_00

Good point. Its a shitty situation all around.

F*ck Microsoft. This is only going to hurt the industry.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 alexwatchtower

S0lidSnake

No this is definitely going to help the industry. It will hurt videogame retailers though for sure.

Bullshit or not, I'm just trying to get the facts straight so we can actually compare it to our other options.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

[QUOTE="RandoIphF"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

How is that fascist?

alexwatchtower

They're not taking it from you. They are taking it from the guy buying it. Kind of like if I buy your Cobalt I have to pay the state, registration and title fees.

I think the question was, Should MS or the publisher/developer get paid for a game that they have already been paid for once? I didn't read your link, when did MS confirm anything you posted by chance?
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

[QUOTE="RandoIphF"] So if I sell my Cobalt to fund a new car, should Chevrolet get a cut of the profit?

dotWithShoes

I think the question was, Should MS or the publisher/developer get paid for a game that they have already been paid for once? I didn't read your link, when did MS confirm anything you posted by chance?

And I already said I don't think they should. Totally against it. It was a retail briefing between Microsoft and retailers. Read the link;)

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

And I already said I don't think they should. Totally against it. It was a retail briefing between Microsoft and retailers. Read the link;)

alexwatchtower
That article said "Retail sources", has Microsoft themselves came out and said this is how it is?
chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts
So....they haven't really said what this format will do to companies like GameFly?
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Black_Knight_00

Uhm, ok in this thread I posted a link to a source. So far there has been no comment on that. If you have a link which says that you can't, please show it. Otherwise stop assuming! There's been enough confusion about this already.

And it's not a monopoly. There will be more than one retailer competing for your used games. 

alexwatchtower

Think for a minute man: what is ebay? It's like a big room where people meet and sell stuff directly from one person to the other leaving a little tip in the tip jar for ebay. Ebay never sees the products people sell, because as I said the transaction is peer-to-peer between private sellers, so they have no way to reset licenses on Xbox One games like gamestop will.

Oh sure, you will be able to sell used Xbox One discs on ebay, but what kind of idiot would buy one when the license is spent and you still have to pay full price for it? Might as well just buy new. Of course microsoft could simply allow people to reset licenses on their own, but that would defeat the whole purpose of this whole used game block machination, wouldn't it? So that won't happen.

Bottom line: if you want to trade in your Xbox One games your options will be drastically reduced compared to now, resulting in less money in your pocket for each trade in. As a general rule, the less potential buyers you have, the lower the selling price will be. The United States purchased freaking Alaska from Russia for almost nothing. Why? Because they were the only buyers. See where I'm going with this example?

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#37 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

F*ck Microsoft.

S0lidSnake

Amen brother.

Not one thing MS announced has been good imo.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

alexwatchtower

No this is definitely going to help the industry.

Nope. It's not. Like Blackknight stated, this is going to drive up the prices of used games. That also means it's going to drive up the prices of non-used games. If retailers dont have to worry about cheaper used games, they have very little incentive to mark down the prices. Limiting trade-ins to select retailers IS a monopoly, maybe not in the strictest sense, but it's definitely anti-consumer and will limit our options. I maybe able to trade in games but will definitely not get the value I am used to getting now. The cost is always passed down to the the consumer. Ebay, half.com, mom & pop shops they are all going to be losing business. Which means people who relied on those avenues wont have the cash to fund new game purchases.

BAD for the industry.

I dont even know why the f*ck I am wasting my time with you. You have your head so far up MS's ass, you are basically their mouthpiece. I just hate seeing someone spread ignorance and false info on this board I love so much, but b/w your constant defense and PR for MS and the ridiculous justification of their cloud claims, you have turned this forum into a f*cking cesspool of false information.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]Uhm, ok in this thread I posted a link to a source. So far there has been no comment on that. If you have a link which says that you can't, please show it. Otherwise stop assuming! There's been enough confusion about this already.

Black_Knight_00

Think for a minute man: what is ebay? It's like a big room where people meet and sell stuff directly from one person to the other leaving a little tip in the tip jar for ebay. Ebay never sees the products people sell, because as I said the transaction is peer-to-peer between private sellers, so they have no way to reset licenses on Xbox One games like gamestop will.

Oh sure, you will be able to sell used Xbox One discs on ebay, but what kind of idiot would buy one when the license is spent and you still have to pay full price for it? Might as well just buy new. Of course microsoft could simply allow people to reset licenses on their own, but that would defeat the whole purpose of this whole used game block machination, wouldn't it? So that won't happen.

Bottom line: if you want to trade in your Xbox One games your options will be drastically reduced compared to now, resulting in less money in your pocket for each trade in. As a general rule, the less potential buyers you have, the lower the selling price will be. The United States purchased freaking Alaska from Russia for almost nothing. Why? Because they were the only buyers. See where I'm going with this example?

Exactly. That is stupid. Especially if you can get it at a cheaper price, just like you normally do at GameStop. Fact is, they have not clarified that yet. So either post a LINK or stop muddying the water! I'm not going to assume anything. It's been muddied enough.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

S0lidSnake

No this is definitely going to help the industry.

Nope. It's not. Like Blackknight stated, this is going to drive up the prices of used games. That also means it's going to drive up the prices of non-used games. If retailers dont have to worry about cheaper used games, they have very little incentive to mark down the prices. Limiting trade-ins to select retailers IS a monopoly, maybe not in the strictest sense, but it's definitely anti-consumer and will limit our options. I maybe able to trade in games but will definitely not get the value I am used to getting now. The cost is always passed down to the the consumer. Ebay, half.com, mom & pop shops they are all going to be losing business. Which means people who relied on those avenues wont have the cash to fund new game purchases.

BAD for the industry.

I dont even know why the f*ck I am wasting my time with you. You have your head so far up MS's ass, you are basically their mouthpiece. I just hate seeing someone spread ignorance and false info on this board I love so much, but b/w your constant defense and PR for MS and the ridiculous justification of their cloud claims, you have turned this forum into a f*cking cesspool of false information.

I'm not defending shit. For the last time. I am against it. 

But don't tell me the industry getting the money rather than GameStop won't help the games industry. Yes it will! Just not the retail side.

And you are the one to talk about spreading ignorance and false shit. You created half this **** confusion when you rushed and posted crap, that's unconfirmed from horrible sources to try to get a kick out of it! All I'm doing is trying to clarify things.

I'm just trying to clean up part of their and your damn mess.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts
Not worth the cost of a console.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Black_Knight_00
Exactly. That is stupid. Especially if you can get it at a cheaper price, just like you normally do at GameStop. Fact is, they have not clarified that yet. So either post a LINK or stop muddying the water! I'm not going to assume anything. It's been muddied enough.alexwatchtower
You answered your own question dude: you asked me where I get the idea that ebay will be cut out, I explained where the logic comes from and you agreed that it will be pointless for people to sell X1 games on ebay. What do you need sources for when there's no other way things can go?
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]Exactly. That is stupid. Especially if you can get it at a cheaper price, just like you normally do at GameStop. Fact is, they have not clarified that yet. So either post a LINK or stop muddying the water! I'm not going to assume anything. It's been muddied enough.Black_Knight_00
You answered your own question dude: you asked me where I get the idea that ebay will be cut out, I explained where the logic comes from and you agreed that it will be pointless for people to sell X1 games on ebay. What do you need sources for when there's no other way things can go?

Because there is another way for it to go?

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Black_Knight_00

But don't tell me the industry getting the money rather than GameStop won't help the games industry. Yes it will! Just not the retail side.alexwatchtower
Microsoft is not the industry: microsoft is part of the industry. The industry is made by publishers and developers. Used game retailers paying the devil's due to microsoft doesn't help developers at all. So unless you can prove microsoft said they are going to share with the developers the used game cut they'll get from gamestop, don't try to sell us the idea that the used games block will help the industry: it will only help microsoft and no one else.

alexwatchtower

Be more specific, you can't hide behind simple denial.

NexApex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 NexApex
Member since 2012 • 225 Posts

[QUOTE="NexApex"]

So NO MATTER WHAT - If we purchase it from craiglist or ebay - you STILL have to take it to a retailers (GameStop, Best Buy, Fry's, etc) to have them place the "KEY"?? or is that even an option!?

alexwatchtower

First of all peronal, and craiglist and ebay sales have not been confirmed. Doesn't mean you can't they just said that's what they have figured out so far.

But no, assuming that is possible, you would likely be able to activate it yourself. I have no clue for what price though. Perhaps there will be a fee when they allow direct person to person sales? Might be a flat fee, so that's something gamers might get adjusted to quickly. In other words if you know there's going to be a 10% fee to active the account, say $5, that would just roll back to how much you would be able to pay me for the used game.

If I wanna sell a game, and I'm selling it for $30, you know it will cost you $35. They probably -hopefully - will do something like this.

Aww, forgot about that. There will probably be a flat fee online. Wonder how GameStop will feel about that though... the reactivation fee would have to be high if Microsoft plans on having retailers; such as, GameStop to invest in a "key replacer" for gamers to make some money off trade-ins or else nobody (intelligent enough) won't sell to them.

Interesting stuff.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]But don't tell me the industry getting the money rather than GameStop won't help the games industry. Yes it will! Just not the retail side.Black_Knight_00

Microsoft is not the industry: microsoft is part of the industry. The industry is made by publishers and developers. Used game retailers paying the devil's due to microsoft doesn't help developers at all. So unless you can prove microsoft said they are going to share with the developers the used game cut they'll get from gamestop, don't try to sell us the idea that the used games block will help the industry: it will only help microsoft and no one else.

alexwatchtower

Be more specific, you can't hide behind simple denial.

I've already explained it. Other people like the post above read it or thought about it themselves. You seem to be so sure, that's why I ask, post a damn link.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Black_Knight_00

I've already explained it. Other people like the post above read it or thought about it themselves. You seem to be so sure, that's why I ask, post a damn link.alexwatchtower
I don't read all your posts, obviously, they's a million of them every minute. Ok, I see what you suggest concering ebay transactions:

you would likely be able to activate it yourself. I have no clue for what price though. Perhaps there willbe a fee when they allow direct person to person sales? Might be a flat fee, so that's something gamers might get adjusted to quickly. In other words if you know there's going to be a 10% fee to active the account, say $5, that would just roll back to how much you would be able to pay me for the used game.

If I wanna sell a game, and I'm selling it for $30, you know it will cost you $35. They probably -hopefully - will do something like this.alexwatchtower

...except your solution makes no sense for 2 reasons:

1) What's the point of microsoft blocking used games sales only to earn $5 on every peer-to-peer sale, which is a fraction of what they'd earn if the buyer was forced to buy new? Moreover:

2) Why would microsoft declare they will enable selected retailers to reset licenses if the same can be done by any user at any time?

Do you see the fallacy in your reasoning?

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]I've already explained it. Other people like the post above read it or thought about it themselves. You seem to be so sure, that's why I ask, post a damn link.Black_Knight_00

I don't read all your posts, obviously, they's a million of them every minute. Ok, I see what you suggest concering ebay transactions:

you would likely be able to activate it yourself. I have no clue for what price though. Perhaps there willbe a fee when they allow direct person to person sales? Might be a flat fee, so that's something gamers might get adjusted to quickly. In other words if you know there's going to be a 10% fee to active the account, say $5, that would just roll back to how much you would be able to pay me for the used game.

If I wanna sell a game, and I'm selling it for $30, you know it will cost you $35. They probably -hopefully - will do something like this.alexwatchtower

...except your solution makes no sense for 2 reasons:

1) What's the point of microsoft blocking used games sales only to earn $5 on every peer-to-peer sale, which is a fraction of what they'd earn if the buyer was forced to buy new? Moreover:

2) Why would microsoft declare they will enable selected retailers to reset licenses if the same can be done by any user at any time?

Do you see the fallacy in your reasoning?

1. They're not blocking used game sales. They're taking a cut.

2. Because when you trade a game in, it needs to be wiped from your account. You got paid for it.  When you personally sell a game to someone else, they are the ones that need to pay to activate it. It will be at that time, that it will be wiped from your account and transfered to them. But gain, you are asking me to talk about hypothetical situations. I have no freaking idea. The fact is, neither do you. Can it be done though? YES! Will they? I don't know.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

1. They're not blocking used game sales. They're taking a cut.

2. Because when you trade a game in, it needs to be wiped from your account. You got paid for it.  When you personally sell a game to someone else, they are the ones that need to pay to activate it. It will be at that time, that it will be wiped from your account and transfered to them. But gain, you are asking me to talk about hypothetical situations. I have no freaking idea. The fact is, neither do you. Can it be done though? YES! Will they? I don't know.

alexwatchtower
Oh please. If you a game costs almost as much as a new game or is restricted as to where you can buy it....that's pretty much going to kill the used game market. As a consumer this should give you pause. Why should a game have to activated? It's on a freaking disc. There should be NO activation fee.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Black_Knight_00

1. They're not blocking used game sales. They're taking a cut. 2. Because when you trade a game in, it needs to be wiped from your account. You got paid for it. When you personally sell a game to someone else, they are the ones that need to pay to activate it. It will be at that time, that it will be wiped from your account and transfered to them.alexwatchtower
You're pulling the whole ebay side of your argument straight out of your butt. There is no indication they will allow any user to deauthenticate his copy of the game and pass the license to someone else. The only evidence there is it they will allow selected retailers to do that.

That's called blocking used games. The fact that they'll allow a few retailers to circumvent it doesn't mean used games aren't blocked.