Can Metacritic user scores be trusted (Video games)

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#1 iamllamapie
Member since 2012 • 297 Posts

Whenever I look at a game on Metacritic I can't believe the user score and have to stick with the critics score alone. Why is this? The users seem to only know of 2 numbers: 10 and 0.

Have any games actually got fair user scores?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i don't take the user score seriously

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

No. User reviewer are the most untrustworthy reviews.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Scores should probably just go away entirely, because that's all people look at. User scores are a joke and even "professional" reviews don't fare that much better: with the bunch of amateur bloggers who style themselves gaming journalists these days, it's better to actually read the reviews instead of just looking at scores. Kotaku has a "Yes, Maybe, No" system and I think that works and prevents people from getting into fights because game A got a decimal point more than game B like with the GTA V farce that went on on this very site.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@geniobastardo said:

Users are of two types: Fanboys and whiners. That must be expected.

this

Still they are some good user reviews.You just have to search.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

If you go to sites like this, the ratings are better compared to metacritic. Because that site has just fanboys and haters

ptrpedrohung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 ptrpedrohung
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

@Black_Knight_00: I agree. Scoring is getting less and less accurate by the day as the medium matures. I think the best way to look up a game is just watch video reviews, from pro sites and independent sites alike.

Gamerno66666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Gamerno66666
Member since 2013 • 175 Posts

Actually no. I trust steam user reviews more than anything on metacritic because you have to buy and play the game on steam to review it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@iamllamapie said:

Whenever I look at a game on Metacritic I can't believe the user score and have to stick with the critics score alone. Why is this? The users seem to only know of 2 numbers: 10 and 0.

Have any games actually got fair user scores?

No

Also the critic scores are not even fair.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

I don't have a clue about metacritic since I never go there.

what I do know is that I read user reviews all the time to better understand a game, since, official website reviewers rarely give me any good information that I need.

therefore, as usual, some are good and some are worthless.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#12 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Any games that gains any sort of controversy is going to get flooded with 0's. And then there's the games like Call of Duty that are popular to hate, so the user score for the latest ones are like a 2. Getting back to the controversy subject, Mass Effect 3 is a great example due to the outcry over its ending. The Metacritic user score for that game is maybe 5 at most, probably even less than that since tons of people rated it a 0 and wrote a review along the lines of "Wahh! The ending suks!"

But I still think you'll find a decent amount of games that are fairly rated by users. Some are even within a reasonable margin from the overall critic score. Still, most scores are going to be on the extreme high end or extreme low end, but that's pretty typical for user ratings. In short, I wouldn't worry about them too much. I wouldn't worry too much about critic ratings either, maybe unless an anticipated game completely bombs.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Scores should probably just go away entirely, because that's all people look at. USer scores are a joke and even "professional" reviews don't fare that much better: with the bunch of amateur bloggers who style themselves gaming journalists these days, it's better to actually read the reviews instead of just looking at scores. Kotaku has a "Yes, Maybe, No" system and I think that works and prevents people from getting into fights because game A got a decimal point more than game B like with the GTA V farce that went on on this very site.

I agree on nearly every point.

As a potential buyer you must either read/watch the reviews from multiple websites to get a general feel of the game and then ask questions yourself before coming to a decision. Scores can be complete crap. I saw a game with a 7 that i ended up putting 100's of hours into than a game with 9 that i play once and i'm done.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#14 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

@gamerno66666 said:

Actually no. I trust steam user reviews more than anything on metacritic because you have to buy and play the game on steam to review it.

Next time, I should check their reviews, I hate MC user scores >.<

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

of course not ! play station fanboy community attacks xbox exclusives and they all give the game a 0. Xbox fans in return give it a 10 .

so about Exclusive games never ever look at user score :D

but about Multiplat games the user score makes a bit more sense . but still , everyone gave ME3 a 0 because they thought ending sucked so they should rate a 0 . or someone had a connection problem with NBA 2k14 and now he gives it a 0 .

user score is a joke

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 udUbdaWgz1

I misunderstood the question and so let me restate: the actual number an user gives to score a game is relative and is very limited in and of itself.

however, the words actually used to describe the review of a game can be very informative.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

NO!

When it comes to reviews, the only ones that i actually care are those that i trust u know....

+

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Scores should probably just go away entirely, because that's all people look at. User scores are a joke and even "professional" reviews don't fare that much better: with the bunch of amateur bloggers who style themselves gaming journalists these days, it's better to actually read the reviews instead of just looking at scores. Kotaku has a "Yes, Maybe, No" system and I think that works and prevents people from getting into fights because game A got a decimal point more than game B like with the GTA V farce that went on on this very site.

THIS.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I don't look at user reviews myself, I do use professional reviews in my game purchasing decisions though.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 udUbdaWgz1

@Archangel3371:

lol, that's funny, since, I never let "pro" reviews influence my decisions.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

I don't look at the numbers so much as i do the reviews. I read them and try to find common ground on something I like or dislike.

To answer your question. Scores can not be trusted because they are only numbers. a 5 is suppose to be average or middle but most would see 5 as trash really.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#21 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

@kingcrimson24 said:

of course not ! play station fanboy community attacks xbox exclusives and they all give the game a 0. Xbox fans in return give it a 10 .

so about Exclusive games never ever look at user score :D

but about Multiplat games the user score makes a bit more sense . but still , everyone gave ME3 a 0 because they thought ending sucked so they should rate a 0 . or someone had a connection problem with NBA 2k14 and now he gives it a 0 .

user score is a joke

Yep, exactly I was really pissed by these Childish ME3 scores, Lol here's a funny/stupid statement ''Don't judge the game till you've played it till the ending (Ending sucks so whole game sucks 0/10)''