This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69466 Posts

Boss fights seems to be a hit or miss in most games. But what really constitute a good boss fight? What are the elements that make a good boss fight for you? Feel free to give examples.

I am a big fan of the Mario boss fights in which the focus is on mechanics vs damage inflected. In addition to the predictability with the three hits and your out.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Well for me the most important aspects are:

• it has to be visually interesting ie. looks cool
  • good music

Pretty much any boss fight from the Bayonetta games fit this criteria for me.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pedro  Online

@Archangel3371 said:

• good music

Which was your favorite?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Archangel3371 said:

• good music

Which was your favorite?

Well I haven't played through all of Bayonetta 2 yet so right now I'd probably go with the final boss from the first game because I generally enjoy the large size bosses and she was pretty big plus there were a fair number of sections to the overall battle that made it feel suitably epic and satisfyingly final to the first game.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

I like a cool song, a hard fight and no QTEs.

Majki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Majki
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Music and interesting fight, something you can't do in game normally. Also, some kind of pressure to keep you on edge of your seat.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Obviously Puzzle Bosses !!!

Like in Portal 2. President Evil had lots of puzzle bosses too.

bearnewman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 bearnewman
Member since 2007 • 2033 Posts

Pure intensity. Best boss fight I remember is the final sequence in Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time, N64.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

have to look awesome and bad arse.

Challenging.

Good music.

Bonus point: Variation in the fight rather than the boss spamming the same attacks over and over again.(I love dark souls 2 but come on.)

Favorites: Almost all of the bosses from shadow of the colossus.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Obviously Puzzle Bosses !!!

Like in Portal 2.

Yeah this too.

DrFlyntCoal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 DrFlyntCoal
Member since 2015 • 496 Posts

Anything made by Platinum. Rising had the best bossfights. I can willingly replay them any day, every day.

PlaWeird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PlaWeird
Member since 2008 • 2239 Posts

Music can really make or break a boss battle. It creates the atmosphere. I love the battles in Shadow of the Colossus and Dragon's Dogma since you can grab onto the monster, which makes the battle so much more interesting.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Basically anything from Alien Soldier, Battle Mania: Daiginjou, Mega Man, or Gunstar Heroes - So cool and unique designs, awesome music, and a challenging experience.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

The strongest examples of what makes boss battles worthwhile are those that represent an increase in some way as was said in the Witcher 3 review like a crescendo. How a game begins determines what a boss battle builds from.

In Devil May Cry, for example, all of the boss battles lead to a final, most powerful transformation of Dante and Mundus is the reason for that challenge. In addition, the story leads to Dante expressing his deepest emotions, appearing as a fully actualized creature ready to face life and death. After that, Mundus is blasted out of the human realm without as much effort because Dante has proven the value of human emotions in his own way.

Another among the strongest examples is Devil May Cry 3 in which Dante and Vergil face each other, twice. Each time, there is reason to anticipate an epic battle that offers a sense of ultimate completion with everything, afterwards, seeming like Dante, again the main character, would be completing a necessary task to live a life of his own choice which is a good one (according to the concepts of the story).

Weaker examples show that boss battles are not critical to the point of the game beyond the fundamental winning. This is an argument with plot involved in each game considered, so I am not referring to games without plots like Pong or Brick Breaker because they are without applicability.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu

@drflyntcoal:

I should do that.... I sucked in those fights..... particularly the Monsoon Fight.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu

@BranKetra:

I loved the:

Dante vs Vergil

Dante vs Nero

Bayonetta Vs Jeane

and Raiden vs Sam fights. Because of how similar the boss is to you.

Remind me to get Ninja Gaiden II.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By branketra

@Lulu_Lulu: Get Ninja Gaiden II if you can handle the gore in it.

There, I reminded you.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulu_Lulu

@BranKetra:

LoL thanks for the Reminder, handsome. ;)

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Good boss battles require quick strategic decisions coupled with intensified maneuvers/inputs compared to gameplay in other situations. This can work with boss battles that become endurance tests (e.g. don't make a mistake) or ones that demand more (e.g. yes, dodge all of that).

Who cares about the story and stuff -- don't enable these developers to ignore what is really important ^^^

Music is important though.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#20 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

It's obviously about dodging attacks and then countering the exposed weakpoint that's a bright glowing colour.

MARKER_1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#21 MARKER_1988
Member since 2015 • 102 Posts

Loved the boss fights in Arkham Asylum. Especially with Poison Ivy.

Another game with great boss fights would have to be Devil May Cry.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Build-up or surprise, music, and challenge (frustrating, control throwing are no-nos though). Castlevania, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid series easily come to mind.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu

@illmatic87:

HELL YEAH !!!! :D

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts

I like the combat tactics in a boss fight especially in a game like god of war 3.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#25 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@illmatic87:

HELL YEAH !!!! :D

*Bro-fist*

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@BranKetra said:

The strongest examples of what makes boss battles worthwhile are those that represent an increase in some way as was said in the Witcher 3 review like a crescendo. How a game begins determines what a boss battle builds from.

In Devil May Cry, for example, all of the boss battles lead to a final, most powerful transformation of Dante and Mundus is the reason for that challenge. In addition, the story leads to Dante expressing his deepest emotions, appearing as a fully actualized creature ready to face life and death. After that, Mundus is blasted out of the human realm without as much effort because Dante has proven the value of human emotions in his own way.

Another among the strongest examples is Devil May Cry 3 in which Dante and Vergil face each other, twice. Each time, there is reason to anticipate an epic battle that offers a sense of ultimate completion with everything, afterwards, seeming like Dante, again the main character, would be completing a necessary task to live a life of his own choice which is a good one (according to the concepts of the story).

Weaker examples show that boss battles are not critical to the point of the game beyond the fundamental winning. This is an argument with plot involved in each game considered, so I am not referring to games without plots like Pong or Brick Breaker because they are without applicability.

To piggyback off of this, the boss fight should have a purpose. Why am I suddenly fighting this monstrosity that showed up out of nowehere? Is it Zelda where the boss is holding some key or tool that I need, or is it a Souls game where for some reason there is some dementor looking beast creature chilling at the bottom of a basement whose only purpose is for me to kill it. Bosses should at the very least fit with the plot and/or flow of the game. That's why the Deus Ex: HR bosses were so weird.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By branketra

@firefox59 said:
@BranKetra said:

To piggyback off of this, the boss fight should have a purpose. Why am I suddenly fighting this monstrosity that showed up out of nowehere? Is it Zelda where the boss is holding some key or tool that I need, or is it a Souls game where for some reason there is some dementor looking beast creature chilling at the bottom of a basement whose only purpose is for me to kill it. Bosses should at the very least fit with the plot and/or flow of the game. That's why the Deus Ex: HR bosses were so weird.

A philosophy in video games can make things interesting or dissuading; it can expand market potential or decrease it. Who a developer and publisher intends as their customer can determine its success or failure. With that focus, the quality of a plot becomes relevant to particular customers, if any.

My examples are about certain values that are commonly accepted in storytelling and psychology. Self-actualization and the value of emotional intelligence are them; they have an automatic appeal to more or less, anyone in society who is cognizant and competent (no offense intended).

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#28 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

Dark Souls:

- O&S ( because killing them was the most rewarding out of all bosses I've fought)

- Gwyn ( this had one of the best soundtracks to a boss fight. Not only did it fit right in with the atmosphere but it gave of the feeling that this truly was the final boss fight in the game.)

The older DMC's had decent bosses that I really liked a lot.

I haven't played Shadow of the Colossus but I've seen some walkthroughs and those bosses look decent as well.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#29 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Well, it would help if the gameplay allows you to dodge and attack whenever you want, unlike Monster Hunter where the game works against you as you're fighting it. With that said, I like boss fights that require me to analyze them and figure out a way to attack them while being difficulty without being overly cheap.

I HATE boss fights where they spam the same attacks over and over again, summon henchmen, or heal up.

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gwynnblade
Member since 2015 • 931 Posts

@drflyntcoal said:

Anything made by Platinum. Rising had the best bossfights. I can willingly replay them any day, every day.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pedro  Online

The responses are quite interesting. Some folks prefer storycentric bosses, while other prefer a more gamey type boss. It is also interesting to see so many people mention music. That something I never consider in making a boss but its something I will have to look into.

What are your opinions on bosses that introduce new game mechanics? I am not a fan of these bosses mainly due to the player not being able to develop the required skills prior to boss fight making the experience frustrating. God of War 1 and Lost Planet 1 comes to mind.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#32 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Pedro said:

Boss fights seems to be a hit or miss in most games. But what really constitute a good boss fight? What are the elements that make a good boss fight for you? Feel free to give examples.

I am a big fan of the Mario boss fights in which the focus is on mechanics vs damage inflected. In addition to the predictability with the three hits and your out.

A good boss fight in my eyes are

One that has a point, provides a challenge and test if you have learned anything from the gameplay you have gone past to get to the boss, also it has you in control, not QTE´s or cutscenes half-way. Also it doesn´t relay on cover/block/hit like in Dark Souls.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I like bosses that have health bars. I don't like the typical platformer "hit this guy 3 times" boss. The Retro DKC games have some really good bosses, though. My favorites are just about every boss in Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden 2, and the Flamelurker from Demon's Souls. Every other boss in Demon's Souls was somewhat lacking, but Flamelurker was pretty fun to melee against.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

Music plays a big part for me. Bayonetta always has some kind of epic boss music that gets me quite pumped. However, I like bosses that require tactics and that have possibly more than 1 way to die, like 'the end' in mgs3. I'm not keen on bosses that require you to climb something quickly whilst its chasing you. I also don't like bosses that have glowing weak parts for you to hit. I know there is a reason for it but I find it slightly insulting that I need to be shown where to hit an enemy instead of working it out for myself.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lulu_Lulu

@Jacanuk:

WOOOOOOH !!!! :D

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro  Online

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I like bosses that have health bars. I don't like the typical platformer "hit this guy 3 times" boss. The Retro DKC games have some really good bosses, though. My favorites are just about every boss in Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden 2, and the Flamelurker from Demon's Souls. Every other boss in Demon's Souls was somewhat lacking, but Flamelurker was pretty fun to melee against.

What is it that you don't like about the 3 hit bosses found in platformers?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Pedro said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

What is it that you don't like about the 3 hit bosses found in platformers?

They are almost always overly simplistic, and it makes the boss completely non-threatening. Not all platformers have them. In a game like Megaman, I play through the level to get to the boss. In a game like Sonic the Hedgehog, I play through the boss so I can get to the next level. I guess most platformers don't really have combat mechanics, so it makes sense why they go with the "jump on him 3 times" mechanic.

bomboy2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38 bomboy2121
Member since 2014 • 90 Posts

a boss fight need to be always dynmic and not reptative

it has to change all the time and the player have to adept his stragty to the boss pattron and win by useing quick reactions and quick thinking

Michimune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By Michimune
Member since 2015 • 33 Posts

I like boss fights with: good music, changing and/or sequencing behaviors in either the boss or the environment, a way to fight the boss either by using something obtained from or relating to the dungeon/area, overall vibe of this particular baddie being a boss.

Doesn't need to be a giant like from god war franchise or whatever, doesn't need have a deep booming voice that you'd have to be deaf on another planet to not hear, hell the boss could be a rabbit and it might just work with all my favorite features! :)

Some Examples...

Bosses I love: Stallord from The Legend of Zelda Twilight princess, The Great mighty poo from conkers bad fur day, All of the Metroid Prime series final bosses, Ghot (Snowhead Temple) from The Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask,.... I'll add more if I can remember some names...

Bosses that are good: All the Nintnedo hand and face shooty bosses (I know their overused but they're still addicting and could be built upon as a concept for future bosses! They also have an interesting history according to some of Nintendos execs and developers =P). barinade from the legend of zelda ocarina of time, Majoras incarnations from the legend of Zelda Majoras mask, the Zodiak summons from final fantasy 12, I'll try to remember some names for here too.

Bosses that I hate: half of the 'bosses' that appear in mmo's (the list is long but many of them are from JRPGs and other oriental mmos), Ganondorf from the legend of zelda twilight princess (hey Ganon, ya wanna go fishing?), all Goomba bosses from the Mario franchises (I doubt even a helmet would help these stepping stools),... I'll try to remember more here as well.

About set to fall asleep, I'll post more later... maybe.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lulu_Lulu

@PurpleMan5000:

I love those...... namely because these types of bosses are almost always puzzle bosses.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#41 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Good music, good pacing, variety within the same boss fight (and if you don't do it in phases even better, I like being kept on my toes), make them huge or make them fast but make them at my power level and not just a dumb animal with 20 HP bars, make it cool without QTE's...if you want a highly choreographed finish just do it in a cutscene...but most importantly, make me care! Make me hate the bastard, make me want to beat the crap out of him and them throw him on a wood chipper, make me grind my teeth every time I see him. If I hate the guy, I will enjoy my victory even more

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#42 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

A boss should be a test of all the skills you've learned up to that point. And should progressively test you as you move along. That's just what I feel they should be. Epic music and other features come secondary to that.