Best Sega Console?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] Saturn also had great 1st party titles, , I mean, Sega's AM divisions were nothing to laugh at, really great 1st party titles was the one thing sony struggled with (mainly through 2nd parties)Darkman2007

Yeah but Sega devs themselves said it was hard to develop for the Saturn. Even Yu Suzuki sait that it would be better to have a fast single CPU instead of two CPUs. Most devs struggled to get a good performance out of the Saturn and almost no games showed the real potential of the console. The beta demo Shenmue footage looks better than anything else on the Saturn. And Saturn had no real Sonic game (Sonic X-treme was cancelled).

The idea that most devs struggled to get "good" performance out of the system , is quite silly

Actually no. The team that ported Quake over to the Saturn said that it was very hard to get a good performance out of the Saturn. The Saturn Quake also used a different engine.

And CPU speed is not the only thing that matters. PS1 could do stuff the Saturn couldn't (like hardware lighting, true transparencies, ect.).

Also most non-exclusive 3D games tend to run slower on the Saturn than PS1.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] especially by late 96, the Saturn was complex , but just like with every system, develpers get better as time goes onDarkman2007

Regardless, the SS had the biggest gaming library and widest third party support of any SEGA console period. Even some companies who never before (and never again) supported a SEGA console like ENIX, developed at least one game for the SS.

We can argue all day which had the better, most legendary games, but at least the numbers are on the Saturn. Complaining about it's third party support, then complain about all of the other SEGA systems, because it's not like they had it better.

I never complained about the Saturn 3rd party support, Im the one who said the machine had decent 3rd party support.

I know, I just said it's silly to say the SS had little support.

Also, the DC is closer to the SS than the MD in terms of library. And they both had shorter lifespans, and sold a lot less.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#53 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Yeah but Sega devs themselves said it was hard to develop for the Saturn. Even Yu Suzuki sait that it would be better to have a fast single CPU instead of two CPUs. Most devs struggled to get a good performance out of the Saturn and almost no games showed the real potential of the console. The beta demo Shenmue footage looks better than anything else on the Saturn. And Saturn had no real Sonic game (Sonic X-treme was cancelled).

nameless12345

The idea that most devs struggled to get "good" performance out of the system , is quite silly

Actually no. The team that ported Quake over to the Saturn said that it was very hard to get a good performance out of the Saturn. The Saturn Quake also used a different engine.

And CPU speed is not the only thing that matters. PS1 could do stuff the Saturn couldn't (like hardware lighting, true transparencies, ect.).

Also most non-exclusive 3D games tend to run slower on the Saturn than PS1.

the game worked though , and ran well regardless of the what engine was used, which has nothing to do with 3rd party support . and youre ignoring the main part of the machine , which is its polygon count and texturing ability, the Saturn did not have built in support for transparent effects, but those were done by clever programmers , since alot of Saturn games , such as burning rangers, do feature these effects. and Im assuming youv have played all of these games? its not really the case that they are slower, games like Soviet Strike, Resident Evil , Dead Or Alive , Grandia , Command and Conquer, Mass Destruction and others al run just as well on Saturn . the majority of games that run considerably worse are sloppy ports, simple as that.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 nameless12345

Well I haven't played the Saturn ever in my life, but there are PS1 vs Saturn comparison vids on youtube and many 3rd party games do seem to run slower or look worse or both.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#55 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Well I haven't played the Saturn ever in my life, but there are PS1 vs Saturn comparison vids on youtube and many 3rd party games do seem to run slower or look worse or both.

nameless12345
It depends on the game. Most of the time 2D games looked better on Saturn while most of the time 3D games looked better on PS1.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Emerald_Warrior
It depends on the game. Most of the time 2D games looked better on Saturn while most of the time 3D games looked better on PS1.

it also depended on which console got the port in the case of games like Destruction Derby, which was made for PS1, it looks pretty bad on the Saturn. by comparison , Grandia , which started on the Saturn, looks sharper and has an overall better frame rate on the Saturn. the right thing to do was what Tecmo did with Dead Or Alive, the PS1 and Saturn versions look quite different and it seems like the PS1 version isn't a simple port, which is why its quite hard to say which is better in the graphics department.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Emerald_Warrior

Yeah 2D games do seem to look better on the Saturn.

DoA looks closer to arcade on the Saturn but the PS1 version has real time lighting.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Darkman2007

it also depended on which console got the port in the case of games like Destruction Derby, which was made for PS1, it looks pretty bad on the Saturn. by comparison , Grandia , which started on the Saturn, looks sharper and has an overall better frame rate on the Saturn. the right thing to do was what Tecmo did with Dead Or Alive, the PS1 and Saturn versions look quite different and it seems like the PS1 version isn't a simple port, which is why its quite hard to say which is better in the graphics department.

Dracula X was a very bad conversion, it practically took zero advantages of the SS capabilities.

The game even lacks transparency effects, in spite that previous games like Silhouette Mirage used them up the kazoo.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Darkman2007

PS1 DOA on the top, Saturn DOA at the bottom

not the same characters, but enough to get a general idea of each version.

in my opinion , the Saturn version looks like it has a higher polygon count as well as better looking backgrounds, but the PS1 does have that shadow effect which is quite nice, also, it benefited from a later release by having 2 extra characters (Ayane among them)

DOA is a good comparison since it arguably is the best looking fighting game on each system, especially at the time (Tekken 3 is the only one that can match DOA PS1)

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Yeah 2D games do seem to look better on the Saturn.

DoA looks closer to arcade on the Saturn but the PS1 version has real time lighting.

"Seems" is going a little too short. They look a whole lot better on the SS. Just look at all what the 2D shooting and fighting games are missing on the Playstation, in comparison with the SS editions.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"] It depends on the game. Most of the time 2D games looked better on Saturn while most of the time 3D games looked better on PS1.Panzer_Zwei

Dracula X was a very bad conversion, it practically took zero advantages of the SS capabilities.

The game even lacks transparency effects, in spite that previous games like Silhouette Mirage used them up the kazoo.

I own Dracula X, and yeah , its a pretty sloppy port, it suffered from slowdown , in addition to the other issues you mentioned. none of these would have existed had the game gotten proper care, the Saturn was fully capable of running Dracula X and Konami should have done a better job
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#62 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

i think a better poll would've been, best Sega controller. I think the Dreamcast Controller slightly edges out the original Genesis 3button.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Panzer_Zwei

i think a better poll would've been, best Sega controller. I think the Dreamcast Controller slightly edges out the original Genesis 3button.

Talldude80

The Dreamcast has the worst controller in my opinion.

Two less buttons than the SS controller, and uncomfortable ergonomics.

It was also plainly unfit for certain genres such as fighting games. The lack buttons ruined the controller.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Talldude80"]

Panzer_Zwei

The Dreamcast has the worst controller in my opinion.

Two less buttons than the SS controller, and uncomfortable ergonomics.

It was also plainly unfit for certain genres such as fighting games. The lack buttons ruined the controller.

I agree, I never understood why they took buttons away , also it was less comfortable then the Saturn controller, and even less comfy then the 3D controller (which would have made a great DC controller)

Avatar image for BreakTheseLinks
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 BreakTheseLinks
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts
[QUOTE="savebattery"][QUOTE="KPAXMAN"]

Genesis...why is there even apoll about this?

Because anyone with the ability to import games recognizes the pure brilliance of the SEGA Saturn.

QFT. When I lived on Okinawa I bought a Saturn (JPN) and fell in love with it. Of course selection of games is limited because I can't speak/read Japanese but I still have a ton of great titles. Most of which I got for 100 Yen (at the time, less then 1$!). I ended buying a second one (white Hitachi version) and the Video-CD chip, which I've been told is rare but I have no idea. I now have a US version but only game for it (Fighting Vipers) because I import so much.
ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#66 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

Unfortunately, as much as I love Sega, I can't decide, since I only know the Dreamcast (and Game Gear if applicable). The Saturn toppled the PS1 in terms of multiplatform games (Street Fighter Alpha 1-3, Marvel Superheroes Vs Street Fighter, etc.,and supposedly theSaturn version of Alpha 3 was superior to even the Dreamcast port), but theGenesis/MD had some amazing franchises on its side (the original Sonic games, Phantasy Star II-IV, Shinobi, Shining Force, etc.). As far as the Dreamcast goes, I **think it had the smallest library of games, but the best fighting games, or atleast a very reputable library of them to say the least.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] it also depended on which console got the port in the case of games like Destruction Derby, which was made for PS1, it looks pretty bad on the Saturn. by comparison , Grandia , which started on the Saturn, looks sharper and has an overall better frame rate on the Saturn. the right thing to do was what Tecmo did with Dead Or Alive, the PS1 and Saturn versions look quite different and it seems like the PS1 version isn't a simple port, which is why its quite hard to say which is better in the graphics department.Darkman2007

I own Dracula X, and yeah , its a pretty sloppy port, it suffered from slowdown , in addition to the other issues you mentioned. none of these would have existed had the game gotten proper care, the Saturn was fully capable of running Dracula X and Konami should have done a better job

wait... there's a dracula X game on the Saturn?

the same dracula X that was on the PC engine in Japan?

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#68 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

This poll really demonstrates how under appreciated the Master System is. Now I'm not saying it's the best Sega console. Obviously it's the Mega Drive. But the Master System deserves a lot more respect than it gets. It was a fantastic console with loads of great games.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

ohthemanatee

wait... there's a dracula X game on the Saturn?

the same dracula X that was on the PC engine in Japan?

no, he means Castlevania Symphony of the night, which in Japanese is called Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyUoT94FG5w

here is a vid of the game, it did have both Richter and Maria is playable characters from the start, as well as a few extra areas, but its a lazy port and has some slowdown issues.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#70 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

Definitely the SATURN for me.

I'm almost exclusively an RPG gamer, so the SATURN was my favorite Sega console, as it was by leaps and bounds their best system for RPGs.

I guess my second fave would be the SegaCD, because I really liked rpgs like "Vay", "Dark Wizard", and the "Lunar" titles.

enix165

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#71 enix165
Member since 2007 • 1848 Posts

teh genesis is teh 16 bit so it r betr lolol if u ent 16 bit u fail

In all seriousness though, I'd go with the Dreamcast. Great times with that console, it's definitely in my all-time top 5 consoles. Never liked the Genesis a huge lot, TBH. Some great stuff for it, but...eh. XD