Being satisfied with playing a game "just once".

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

When I was a kid, I used to beat single player campaigns multiple times. I beat RE4 about 10 times. But now, I'm usually just happy beating a game once. Some games I do replay (and it has nothing to do with it being better than the others).

For example, Half-Life 2 and A Link to the Past, I see as two of the best games I've every played, yet I only played through them once and no more. I may try them (and others) out 5 to 10 years from now, but for now, I want to finish games on my backlogue before I start new ones.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

Good games are fine with one play through. Great games, I often need at least a couple of play throughs to get my fill.

Examples

Good games I played once:

• Prototype
  • Saints Row: The 3rd
  • Ultimate Spider-Man
  • Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3
  • Resident Evil Nemesis
  • All the Ratchet & Clank games (actually I'd call most of these "Great", but I never played any of them more than once)

Great games I have played multiple times:

• Dead Rising
  • Fallout 3
  • Saints Row 2
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Spider-Man 2: The Movie: The Game
  • InFamous
  • Devil May Cry (the original one)
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2

And then there's the unmentioned category. The busted games that I still love despite their flaws and played them several times.

• Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
  • Army of Two
  • Ratchet Deadlocked
scarred_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By scarred_fox
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts

having too many games on back log will do that to you. It also has to do with time and how entertaining or challenging the game was. I've played the entire half life series, STALKER, Crysis, MGS, splinter cell and hitman multiple times. Started each on normal and amped it up to insane or whatever the highest difficulty it was, because it was that good and challenging. Must games I can't do that anymore. a few of the games I named I played more then twice due to having multiple avenues of approaches to an entrance or target. the more linear games, I play through and never go back.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

I must have gone through Resi 4 and Halo: CE 5 or 6 times each including the HD rereleases. Freedom Fighters was another game I could go through over and over again. I don't do that anymore simply because of time and too many games to get through. The Last of Us may be an exception but I haven't even finished 1 playthrough yet.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

I think it's partially due to the amount of games that you have in your library. At least that's what it is for me. I can really enjoy a game while I'm playing it, but when I beat it, I start thinking about the other games that are on the backlog. This isn't to say that I won't play that game in the future if I get an obsession with memories of it, but for the most part, having many games means that there is always a new experience ahead.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

It depends on the story and if it's extremely linear. I usually finish games only once. But if it's a game i truly enjoy, i will replay it several times

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

I don't believe in backlogs. I have a shelf of opportunities, ready to be explored on my whim at any given time. Not a shelf of backlog, a burden to be "worked" on. I work at work, I relax and play at home.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#8  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Back when I was a kid, I would re-play what few games I owned constantly. Even if I had explored every nook and cranny, had attained a hundred percent completion, I would still be able to find plenty of enjoyment by playing through them from the beginning again or just goofing off. Nowadays, I rarely ever do that because I have so many other games to work through. I feel like I should be trying something I haven't played yet rather than revisiting, say, Okami for the umpteenth time (which I should get back to).

Plus, I rarely feel compelled to play many games these days more than once, anyway. There's just something lacking in them. I'm seldom left wanting more, to continue playing them long after the credits roll, even if it means just playing through it again. I don't know. Maybe it's just a result of having way less time to revisit games these days.

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

I never play a game once, maybe there are a few that I have but honestly I can't recall any. It's because especially in the past I've been financially very limited and so ensured I got maximum replay value on a game.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

If I like a game, I 100%. I never remember a game fondly that's simply a one-and-done experience. I remember games that offered me great gameplay and tons to do with it or a game with a huge world to explore.

So essentially it's less about replaying for me and more about revisiting games that still have more to do in them and when leader boards and high scores are involved, that means my work is never done. Credits mean nothing to me. A game isn't done until I've sucked it dry.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

I only replay old games (b/c they're short and are designed to be pickup and play), or games that I really love. If I find a game just to be ok, a one time playthrough is enough.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

With games like the Mass Effect series, since I got into it very late I had them all at once, so I kind of rushed through them just to make it to the end. I intend to go back and play them all more thoroughly sometime in the future. Games I really love will always get repeated plays from me, but a lot of games I've beaten I'll never bother with again.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@drekula2 said:

When I was a kid, I used to beat single player campaigns multiple times. I beat RE4 about 10 times. But now, I'm usually just happy beating a game once. Some games I do replay (and it has nothing to do with it being better than the others).

For example, Half-Life 2 and A Link to the Past, I see as two of the best games I've every played, yet I only played through them once and no more. I may try them (and others) out 5 to 10 years from now, but for now, I want to finish games on my backlogue before I start new ones.

For me it depends on the game, some i can play a lot of times and others which is most i cant play more than once because most games have become so shallow that playing it more than once is just to boring for me.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14  Edited By lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

That's usually how I am for some story driven games (at least for games that don't put as much emphasis on gameplay). It's great when you first play through it, but I don't want to experience the story all over again so soon, and many times I don't get around to playing them again (or at least a really long time).

Gama_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 Gama_Forever
Member since 2004 • 2645 Posts

I don't think I ever really beat games more than once. There was something satisfying about just beating a game when I was a kid. The same is true now really. Occasionally I'll replay something for an achievement or because I thought the location looked really cool and I wanted to go back. Megaton, Rivet City in Fallout. Some of the locales in Skyrim are just breathtaking. Mass Effect and Dead Space look great too. The only games I'll really consider replaying are Co-op games like Gears of War or Halo. Far Cry 3 I wish I could replay and get some kind of achievement but I 100 percented it. Maybe with the X1's cloud achievements I can keep games for longer. Mark my words, btw, that those living achievements are gonna be super awesome for X1. I'm gonna keep so many games. Toodles

Avatar image for deactivated-5a263a314f72b
deactivated-5a263a314f72b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: -3

#16 deactivated-5a263a314f72b
Member since 2010 • 196 Posts

Really bad games I personally like to just play once and be done with them for good, LOL!

Nowadays, people can record their play-throughs & their "Lets' Plays" as well as "Live Streams" and other Internet Broadcasts. They may just decided to play their games once and record those sessions. They may never return to play those games again.

Of course, the reverse could also be true: people might decide to go back and re-visit older games that they just played once before, so that they can now record their gameplay online and upload it for all the world to see.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

@drekula2: This is pretty much the way I've always gamed, to be frank. I've never been one of those play game over-and-over again type gamer. I mean, w/ the rare exception of games like, say 999 or Last Virtue, those that have multiple endings or RPGs like DA series where you can play different classes, or arcade/puzzle/board games like Pacman, Monopoly, etc. Or w/ imported titIes (I done this occassionally w/ Yakuza/Ryu ga Gotoku series), I will buy and play the domestic version again so that I get a better understanding of what I did get then in story--I don't mind going back to and playing again.

But story-driven single-player experiences like AC, Uncharted, GoW series--to name a few off the top of head--I'm totally fine and satisified w/ playing it one and moving on. For one, I have too much a backlog collection (and very little time, lol) to be hung up replaying shit and secondly once I've already reached the end of game and the story has been completely unveiled to me--I find it a bore to replay a game (even it really love it) simply b/c I already know how the stories gonna end.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

If a game is a chore to play like Assassin's Creed 1, I'm content with one playthrough. If it's a game I enjoyed like Bioshock 1 or Assassin's Creed 2, I'll find time to replay it eventually.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Depends on the game. I recently played through Bioshock: Infinite 3 times on hard, 1999 mode, and then easy to get a few left over trophies. I also played Uncharted 2 a few times and am currently replaying the first Bioshock. I like it when games allow you to jump into levels rather than having to replay the whole game, like KZ 2 and 3 there are levels I like to play over. More open world games I usually don't have much of a desire to play after I get through the main story, with the exception being Skyrim, but most of the side missions are more interesting than the main story of that game.