Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darknite55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darknite55555
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2 were both released for the GCN and PS2. Are they the same exact adventure, and just on different platforms, or is it a completely different adventure. Also, what about most other (older) games that were released on multiple platforms?

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I always preferred the Champions series on the PS2.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Same game, different platforms. As for the others, mostly it's the same game. But that's not always the case. You just have to do your research online if you aren't sure.

darknite55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 darknite55555
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Thank you for the quick response.

Subtle_Ninja_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Subtle_Ninja_X
Member since 2012 • 36 Posts
They are actually different games... They have different characters, different maps and a completely different story to them. I think the first one was more challenging but the second one had a lot of secret quests and a broken crafting system (godlike weapons). Overall both were pretty fun hack and slash games that played similar.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Emerald_Warrior

They are actually different games... They have different characters, different maps and a completely different story to them. I think the first one was more challenging but the second one had a lot of secret quests and a broken crafting system (godlike weapons). Overall both were pretty fun hack and slash games that played similar.Subtle_Ninja_X

I think he was asking if they were different on Gamecube than they were on PS2, not if #1 and #2 were different games.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="Subtle_Ninja_X"]They are actually different games... They have different characters, different maps and a completely different story to them. I think the first one was more challenging but the second one had a lot of secret quests and a broken crafting system (godlike weapons). Overall both were pretty fun hack and slash games that played similar.Emerald_Warrior

I think he was asking if they were different on Gamecube than they were on PS2, not if #1 and #2 were different games.

lol

On topic: There might be some slight graphical and performance differences between the two platforms.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#8 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I think they are the same game on both platforms, for the most part. I've never played them on anything but the PS2, though.

doesntcare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 doesntcare
Member since 2007 • 1219 Posts

I always preferred the Champions series on the PS2.

Shenmue_Jehuty
This, wish they would have made another one for this gen
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Only Balders Gate Dark Alliance 1 made it to Gamecube. Balder's Gate Dark Alliance 2 was released on Playstation 2 and the original Xbox. Excellent hack and slash dungeon crawler action RPG games. You will like the second on PS2.

There was a third installment, but never was released as the studio closed shop.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

the PS2 version of Dark Alliance is subtley different.

for example, the PS2 version allowed you to move the camera angle, zoom in closer etc.
the NGC version is missing this feature.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

the studio closed shop but they sold off the rights to the fallout franchse I think and they were supposed to make sequels to several franchises to get back on their feet or something but obviously this never happened.

Atleast Sony coulda made another Champions. This genre has been very poorly represented this gen.

Anyone try Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom? I liked Untold legends 1 and 2 on the psp felt the reviews were kinda harsh.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blueresident87

the studio closed shop but they sold off the rights to the fallout franchse I think and they were supposed to make sequels to several franchises to get back on their feet or something but obviously this never happened.

Atleast Sony coulda made another Champions. This genre has been very poorly represented this gen.

Anyone try Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom? I liked Untold legends 1 and 2 on the psp felt the reviews were kinda harsh.

AsadMahdi59

It has barely been represented at all. And with the ease of online gaming these days it is a true shame.

doesntcare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 doesntcare
Member since 2007 • 1219 Posts

[QUOTE="AsadMahdi59"]

Blueresident87

It has barely been represented at all. And with the ease of online gaming these days it is a true shame.

It is quite sad.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="AsadMahdi59"]

Blueresident87

Um... did you guys not hear about this little game called Diablo 3?

Then there's Torchlight, Torchlight 2, Sacred 2, Crimson Alliance, Too Human, Lord of the Rings: War in the North, Dungeon Siege 3,Dungeon Hunter: Alliance, and a bunch of others I didn't bother listing.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blueresident87

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

[QUOTE="AsadMahdi59"]

AcidSoldner

Then there's Torchlight, Torchlight 2, Sacred 2, Crimson Alliance, Too Human, Lord of the Rings: War in the North, Dungeon Siege 3,Dungeon Hunter: Alliance, and a bunch of others I didn't bother listing.

Diablo III? Yea, that game sucks compared to BG 1&2.

And many of the games you list don't offer local multiplayer, which was the strenght of the BG games. And even if they do offer some sort of local co-op, this genre has been under-represented this gen because most games that are even remotely similar to BG just aren't that good.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Emerald_Warrior

the PS2 version allowed you to move the camera angle, zoom in closer etc.
the NGC version is missing this feature.TheKungFool

That sucks for Gamecube users! There are some items or chests that you can't even see without rotating the view.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#18 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]the PS2 version allowed you to move the camera angle, zoom in closer etc.
the NGC version is missing this feature.Emerald_Warrior

That sucks for Gamecube users! There are some items or chests that you can't even see without rotating the view.

oh, I should have been more specific.....

you can "rotate" the view, but the camera is stuck at one "depth" setting (for lack of a better way to say it)

the NGC version is missing the PS2's option that allows you to zoom in the camera to different closeness settings, so its like you're always playing the game from the setting thats farthest away (whereas the PS2 version lets you zoom the camera around to get closer/tighter views)

again, its not a huge issue that makes the game unplayable by any means if you only have a Cube, but its enough of a difference that if you had both an NGC and PS2, I'd personally suggest the PS2 version is the optimal way to enjoy Dark Alliance (great game regardless)

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

[QUOTE="AsadMahdi59"]

AcidSoldner

Those games are either lame or don't have co-op. (Torchlight doesn't have co-op I think) or I haven't heard of them.

There's also Dungeon's and Dragon's Daggerdale and Realms of Ancient War which just came out. Both of which have gotten terrible reviews.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Blueresident87

And many of the games you list don't offer local multiplayer, which was the strenght of the BG games. And even if they do offer some sort of local co-op, this genre has been under-represented this gen because most games that are even remotely similar to BG just aren't that good.

Out of the ones I listed, the original Torchlight is the only one that doesn't have co-op.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blueresident87

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]Um... did you guys not hear about this little game called Diablo 3?

AcidSoldner

Out of the ones I listed, the original Torchlight is the only one that doesn't have co-op.

I said 'local co-op'

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Blueresident87

I said 'local co-op'

Ok, Crimson Alliance, Dungeon Siege 3, LoTR: War in the North, and Dungeon Hunter: Alliance all have local co-op.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Blueresident87

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]Out of the ones I listed, the original Torchlight is the only one that doesn't have co-op.AcidSoldner

I said 'local co-op'

Ok, Crimson Alliance, Dungeon Siege 3, LoTR: War in the North, and Dungeon Hunter: Alliance all have local co-op.

Yes, but the quality isn't there with those games.

There are no current gen games that capture the spirit and fun of a co-op dungeon crawling game like Dark Alliance does.