Aussies now taxed on digital purchases including Steam.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

In Australia the federal budget was done today, and the govt have introduced a 10% GST tax on Netflix, Google, Steam, and Amazon. So now we will be paying an additional 10% on Steam games. I thought the govt was trying to find ways to reduce piracy, not encourage it.

Paying $100+ (after currency conversion) for a new release game on Steam was already pretty steep, now there will be this additional 10%.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/05/11/australian-treasurer-confirms-netflix-tax

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Digital prices are ridiculous as it is... now 10% more on top. No wonder I usually buy physical. Ridiculous.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

I hear Indonesia is the land of endless opportunities. Better fill up those tiny row boats and try making it across. Seriously, when is the mass exodus happening...?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@digitm64 said:

In Australia the federal budget was done today, and the govt have introduced a 10% GST tax on Netflix, Google, Steam, and Amazon. So now we will be paying an additional 10% on Steam games. I thought the govt was trying to find ways to reduce piracy, not encourage it.

Paying $100+ (after currency conversion) for a new release game on Steam was already pretty steep, now there will be this additional 10%.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/05/11/australian-treasurer-confirms-netflix-tax

Hmm, that is going to be hard to control

Also why would this encourage piracy? if you are smart enough to find a torrent, you are smart enough to use a vpn or buy your games from one of the many legal key sites where the aussie gov. have no control or can enforce their tax rules.