Anybody else losing appeal in gaming?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I wasn't sure which was the right forum to post it on, so if this need to be move let me know. I'm 28 and I have been gaming since I was five and I realized for a past couple of years my interest in gaming has been going downhill fast. I always have this feeling that as soon as I find something else to do with my life, I'll probably won't play video games anymore. The last game I can say truly got me hooked was gta v (ps3) and before that it was skyrim.

Gaming used to be a big part of my life, now I struggle to play for an hour. Even games that excite me does it only for the length of the trailer and nothing more. Not playing games left a big void in my life and it feels like I'm holding in to nostalgia instead of letting go. I saw myself playing games till I die, now I don't even think I might get mgs5 which I'm a huge fan of.

Anybody starting or is feeling the same?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

Hate to tell you this but this is OT meaning no video game talk is allow. Just tell the mods to move this thread to Games Discussion.

Now to answer your question, this is my last gen with the big 3 consoles and I'll just stick to Nintendo Handhelds and PC gaming only.

fize4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 fize4ever
Member since 2009 • 1652 Posts

Nope, never lost its appeal. Time however, is significantly less than what it used to be.

Just wish I could somehow find a way to stop time, game til I've had enough, and then continue doing all the other things in my life.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Yes, and I don't know why exactly but I may have some ideas to why.

Most AAA games to me are meh. I see casuals play it and they're having a fucking blast while I just exploit all of the mechanics and get through no problem.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5  Edited By dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@Gaming-Planet: Stop looking at games like an adult, the way you will enjoy games more is when you look at it like when you were young, when 8bit was good enough!

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

It's just a phase. Don't sell all your consoles just to buy them back 3 months later.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#7 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Moved to games Discussion =)

To answer your question I think all of us have felt that at one point or another...you grow up, things change, priorities change, tastes change and the amount of time you have available for gaming definitely changes. That being said it's most likely just a phase...when it happens to me I just stop gaming altogether for a month or two so that it feels fresh when I come back. Actually I might need a break right now...I find myself gaming not because I enjoy it but because I'm bored at night and don't want to go to bed (I hate sleeping) so in the end I'm not even focused on the games, just play them in auto-pilot and don't even enjoy them all that much.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

NEVER!!!! Gamer till i die biatch!!!! :P

Just have less time for gaming what with adult things getting in the way.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#9 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Nah, not me. Sure, I have to take breaks here and there, but I'll never get tired of video games (I plan on getting into the industry).

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Mmh, would say that gaming is like a curve for me. I have Peaks where I game alot, might last months or years, followed by valleys where I play very Little or practically nothing.

I would not consider it strange to get tired or burned out, like any other hobby, and there is nothing strange with it.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Sequels, remaster, remakes, and spiritual successors that are worse then the games that inspired them... Ya Besides the odd game like the witcher 3, or say the new metal gear or star citizen I'm getting bored and burnt out on the same old same old bullshit they keep releasing. Like look at Battlefront from Dice. A spiritual successor that literally only resembles the first two games in lore and world alone. At the rate the industry is going I'll be buying far less games then I normally do this next year and the one after that. Beyond that who knows, but I've all ready fazed Television in the form of cable or satellite out of my life completely I may one day just do the same with gaming if it keeps getting worse and worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Yup. Me too.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#13 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Nope! I have enough variety in my life to keep gaming interesting! Between having a full-time job, a girlfriend(at least for now)MMA trainning, a small bussiness and being active in community work....gaming is just as exciting for me now, as it was when I was a kid.

You need to figure out what you want to do with your life and add some variety! Once you do that, you will begin to appreciate gaming again.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I had moments where I got tired of gaming and wanted to quit. Even after playing most AAA games, I was left either hating them completely or being supremely disappointed. I chose to try out some old games I haven't played. I played Xenogears for the first time in 2011. Despite having blocky, pixelated graphics, the game floored me.

You can also branch out a bit and try games from different genres.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I was losing interest big time, only looking forward to Uncharted 4. Then the best E3 ever happened.

There will be low points for everyone in gaming but eventually things come back around.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

A definite phase. I have gone through this many times now. I did also when i was 28. Now that i'm older i do look forward to trying to make time to game, but its very difficult, always stuff in the way. I tell you what though, there will come a time maybe even years from now when something you had played long ago will be redone. Then you will be excited, and will want to play, even though it will only be for short time here and there. I had been waiting for a great racing game, back in my younger days i enjoyed very much NFS 2, now to be released is NFS for PS4, this will get me gaming again. Also Doom is being made again for PS4, i played doom a a floppy disk. Imagine that, i am excited, and still even though it will be difficult, i will play again when i get time. You might quit for a while, and be into other things, but deep inside you know your still a gamer. It will come back to you, don't worry. Cheers !

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

While I haven't lost interest in gaming per se, I have become much more casual about it than in the past. Now a days I play just for enjoyment instead of challenge and I don't try to keep up with new stuff or what others do all the time anymore.

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#18 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts

Most of the time I just want to replay older games I already know. Hardly anything these days appeal to me.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Never loose appeal but I do take breaks for a few weeks when I don't feel like playing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-594be627b82ba

Well I don't know if it's a phase or not, It just not the first time. I haven't game properly for about a year and before that I felt like I was playing for the sake of playing. My cousin just brought batman arkham knight and I could play it as I'm typing this but it's just not happening. I don't think I log in even 3 hours in the entire month of june so far.

TheMap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheMap
Member since 2015 • 14 Posts

I started losing interest years ago. It's become more of a collecting thing for me now. It got to the point where I had over 20 games sitting in the wrapper when I realized maybe I'm just not into like I used to be.

I think when developers started making games exclusively for hyperactive, mainstream players I fizzled out. They butchered all my favourite RPG franchises one by one. When "action" took over every genre I gave up.

Sometimes I like the option of chilling out and taking my time, or even the simple act of being able to walk away for a few minutes. Those elements have been for the most part lost. Especially in console gaming.

Nowadays I get my fix from PC franchises like the Civ games, and get the thrills I crave at times out of my Wii U.

It's tough when it happens. I've been struggling with the feeling of losing my oldest and favorite hobby for years. But things change. I'm not willing to force myself to swallow what they're making these days so I'm pretty much out.

I'm never going to stop gaming completely. But all I know is that the way things are now in the industry for the most part, I'm not digging it.

Avatar image for thefoxonthewall
TheFoxOnTheWall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 TheFoxOnTheWall
Member since 2014 • 90 Posts

I think a lot of people tire from video gaming, it might just mean you want to try something different. Don't give up on gaming as you will likely get a urge to play something in the future.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@da_illest101 said:

I wasn't sure which was the right forum to post it on, so if this need to be move let me know. I'm 28 and I have been gaming since I was five and I realized for a past couple of years my interest in gaming has been going downhill fast. I always have this feeling that as soon as I find something else to do with my life, I'll probably won't play video games anymore. The last game I can say truly got me hooked was gta v (ps3) and before that it was skyrim.

Gaming used to be a big part of my life, now I struggle to play for an hour. Even games that excite me does it only for the length of the trailer and nothing more. Not playing games left a big void in my life and it feels like I'm holding in to nostalgia instead of letting go. I saw myself playing games till I die, now I don't even think I might get mgs5 which I'm a huge fan of.

Age has nothing to do with being into gaming.

Playing games is timeless like reading books or watch movies or tv. All that happens is that you evolve and grow your tastes and interests.

And it happens to all, some times its permanent and sometime it just takes the right game to bring you back.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

I just hate what gaming has become take characters out of the game and sell them to you, DLCs etc if you want the complete game you could end up spending 150 bucks, developers must think gamers are millionaires they are not some are addicted so they spend their last dollar and these developers sleep well at night knowing that they are taking away all these young kids money by over pricing the games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44282 Posts

No, not me. I've been an avid gamer for over 35 years and I'm still enjoying it now as much as I ever did and perhaps more in some ways.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5267 Posts

No. My interest in gaming is still strong after more than 25 years.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

My taste in gaming has reached a ridiculous scale. If a game doesn't have me truly excited and laughing then I do not care...and those games are far and inbetween. The older I get the more I seek out just fun games. That's why we started playing, right? Playing a movie game and such is not fun to me.

Avatar image for soulharvester45
soulharvester45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 soulharvester45
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

There are moments where I sometimes think I'm not as excited as I should be. Call it nostalgia or whatever, but even then there's always something to get excited about. So no, gaming hasn't lost its appeal. And it likely never will.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#29 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

I understand this as I'm 32 and I look at the PS4 and X1 offering and I don't care at all ... the PS360 kinda slowy killed my gaming pleasure with achievement/trophy to do things that used to unlock stuff and take that stuff and sell it as DLC ...

So I still played some games, but a lot less that I used to.

I bought a 3DS and felt in love with gaming again but only on that system, I don't see myself buying a PS4 or X1. I also have a WiiU and play it some times here and there. It is enough.

LuminousAether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LuminousAether
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

I'm a bit older than you, OP. I'm in my 30s. I've been gaming as long as you, and I have never felt this way. Sure, there are periods where I don't play games as much and all the games I have to play aren't interesting me, but those are temporary phases. I play a wide variety of games and I don't spend much time with AAA games.

For example, in the past couple weeks I have mostly played The Talos Principle (first person adventure, think Portal 2), Endless Legend (4X, turn based strategy, think a fantasy themed Civilization V), and Reus (indie god game, got it in a Humble Bundle way back in January of 2014 but finally got around to playing it). Pretty diverse set of games. Before then, I did play a AAA game, Shadow of Mordor, but that followed playing a classic style CRPG (Pillars of Eternity) and an indie survival / building / action RPG game (Terraria).

I have a pretty large library of games to play so I can always find something. I think that's probably pretty important to avoid burnout. I don't like to play the same types of games back to back.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@TheHighWind said:

It's just a phase. Don't sell all your consoles just to buy them back 3 months later.

This. I've gone through the same feeling. I'm 22 and have been gaming for about 15 years or so. I lost track on the exact time. My mom got me a N64 and SSB for a Christmas when I was like 7, 8, or 9 (they just mesh together) and I've been hooked since.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Its almost unheard of nower days for a game to completely suck me out of life. Most games I play today come across as fun but nothing more. However In saying that I recently Finished Last Of Us and currently playing through Arkham Knight, and i'am definitely enjoying myself.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

I lost my appeal in gaming,because of developers don't behave like they used to..such as catering its products to consumers,and even have expansions sold separately,now with developers who only care in maintaining outside image by means of microtransactions in the inside...surely that's a helluva problem,we are expected to pay to win...get this thing...we are all gamers,and we deserve the right to finish it ourselves,not paying the developers to do the work for you,they're not a gamer's slave,but the game the devs made enslaves you whether you're up to the challenge or not.

worst thing I could imagine is that,you have to beat this crucial boss in order to complete the game,but there's no way you're going to win with a standard superhero gear,after you die,the game over screen asks you whether you would like to continue for a price(it's says that it's using USD,not in-game currency)

rant aside,here's my personal appeal loss in gaming: I lost appeal in gaming,because of too much actual work to do,to which the hiatus struck my time..and 99.99% of my gaming time is gone,I have my PS3 power cord on total lockdown together with my 3DS XL,I may want to game,but the consequence is bigger than one should know already. in order to break this thing to dust,I must at least own a credit card (USD obviously..but that would suck the biggest time,because I want my needed DLCs paid in IDR)

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#34 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts

I blame 2014. The worst year for cinema & gaming since, well since a long long time.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

you could be burnt out. go experience life more and dont feel guilty or feel like you are not a gamer anymore. loving video games doesnt mean you play it everyday. video games are not going to go anywhere.

as for me, im in the minority when i say im enjoying games more with each passing generation. i started gaming on the nes/famicom and i enjoyed it as a child but it never held my attention for that long. It didnt capture my imagination. Not a fan of 2d platformers/action games. one thing that held be back is the clunky controls and cheesy ai of older games. the newer the gens got, the less clunky the controls, ai wasnt in god mode, the graphics got better, voice acting got better and it sparked my imagination and interest. i went through jr. high and high school rarely playing games.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#36  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

Based on your post. Perhaps it's because all you play is sandbox'y games. Big/ open/ 300 hour worth-of-fetching quests doesn't necessary mean more fun. And I can imagine gets vey repetitive if that's the only genre you currently dabble in.

Look back on what type of games got you into the hobby to begin with. Most likely a more flashy game that wasn't quite as daunting of a world in size.

vvulturas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 vvulturas
Member since 2015 • 1249 Posts

I've lost interest in games that require extensive time, and dedication. I've heard the most positive things about The Witcher 3, but for the expanse of the game alone, I have no interest. With a full time job, and a family to take care of, I find myself playing games like GTA: Online, or League of Legends, that I can pick up, and drop within the hour, or if I need to tend to my child.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I'm not always in the mood to game, but there are too many different kinds of games for me to really ever lose interest. Especially in the indie scene, there are just so many options I can't imagine ever losing interest altogether.

-Byshop

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

Gaming for about 30 years and have never once in my life went through a phase where I did not want to game.

Gaming today has so much to offer I can't imagine ever getting tired of it, I think one thing that keeps gaming fresh for me is the fact that I constantly switch between Indie, AAA, and retro games across all genres, with that level of variety how can I ever get bored?

pboontap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pboontap
Member since 2006 • 140 Posts

@Coco_pierrot: i'm in total agreement. yahtzee talked about how AAA gaming has become a monochrome sludge, and i cannot help but agree. indies only cover so much of the gap left over. i mainly only play the old black isle games and medieval 2 total war on my laptop these days. i have zero interest in any of the new consoles, can't see how they have anything on a new midrange gaming pc. just kinda feels like the current and last generation just kinda left me behind. now with that said, i do still enjoy the few games i do play, and i value any time i get to play them.

Feferi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Feferi
Member since 2015 • 17 Posts

It's not that it lost appeal for me but I just have less time... I used to game every day after school but now the time to complete games is usually around holiday/vacation.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

They only thing that make gaming lose its appear for me is the indie and other small development games. They are all show with the "shiny new" instead of innovation and improvements.

Then there the push that games are art. This has only hurt gaming..

JezH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JezH
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I've found my tastes in gaming have changed over time, but I'm not losing interest in gaming as such.

I'm in my mid 30s now, but when I was younger I preferred repetitive skill-based games (like Halo). Now that I no longer have long summer holidays or lots of free time, I prefer concentrated story-based games, i.e. things like The Walking Dead by Telltale or Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, both of which were fantastic games.

But the recent announcement of Shenmue III truly made me feel excited like a little kid again. There aren't many gaming series which are truly immersive and story-driven, as well as having high production values and immense attention to detail, so games like Shenmue III are like gold dust to me :D Call me a philistine, but a really well-realised and mature game - in the true sense, I don't mean lots of swearing or violence ;-p - is at least as good as any movie.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

I go through phases in gaming. I tend to switch between retro gaming, casual gaming, hardcore gaming, fps's to MOBA's to roleplaying when i'm getting burned out. Switch up your gaming genre's, or just straight up take up a break. I agree with everybody above, don't sell anything. You'll regret it.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Though it's never lost appeal, I don't play as often as I once used to and I'm a lot more pickier about the types of games I enjoy. I also don't get excited to play something very often, usually these days it's more of a time killer during my free time because I don't like watching TV.

yonyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 yonyz
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts

Happens to me as well, very often actually. I talk a few 2 or 3 months of breaks from gaming every year, which means that most of the months I don't game! I don't try to force it... Sure, I can play on autopilot but then I think "what the heck did I do the last two hours"?
I used to think I'd be able to play nonstop, given the chance, but these days I prefer outside activities like riding my bike or walking the dog, and stuff like that. But yeah, sometimes I just want to play a video game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

I wouldn't say I am losing interest in gaming. I would say I've lost interest in online gaming altogether. Online gaming isn't as fun as it used to. I do not like buying a game half complete....you know, pay $60 for a brand new game and the day of its release you are supposed to buy $10 worth of DLC. NOPE! I don't like the fact that gaming developers have lost their creativity. Everyone has to build their game from what the latest trend is. No one wants to be creative anymore. MY biggest annoyance is when developers tend to re-make a game over, and Over, and OVER again until there is no interest in that series anymore. This last year I began investing....heavily in older systems. I am only missing one. But I am already starting to play the older systems again. Sometimes more than I play the newer systems. The greatest part of playing these systems is that I have introduced my three children to these memories and they love it! Keep up the good fight...find what interests you. I'm only a year older than you and I would suggest going "Old-school!" Good luck!

@da_illest101 said:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-594be627b82ba

@TheDarkWolf86: it's not going to work. I don't even feel like sitting down and turning on a game. I get your frustration with the gaming though it became too much about money and not fun or fans.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#49 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

I was a huge gamer from the time I was in grade school all the way up until my around the time I was done with high school (and even by then I wasn't really buying new games or anything) I had a number of years where my interest in gaming dropped to the point of just playing soul calibur 2 or mario kart double dash with friends once in a while. Eventually, once I was almost done with College I was going into GameStop and picking up GameCube games I hadn't tried out. But I that didn't last long either. Then moving far away for work and was looking for a way to unplug from work while at home so I started looking into gaming and I've been into gaming for the last 4 almost 5 years now. So yeah, phases happen, sometimes life changes cause you to stop or maybe even start back up, I suspect now that I'm married that kids will drastically reduce the amount of time I game and that'll be ok, maybe it's something I'll introduce them to when they're older...who knows, it's a hobby and one that has been a huge part of my life but it's not my life.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Sometimes, it is good to take a break from activities which you regularly do. Even professionals do not always continue the same career their entire lives.

Games are a form of art and entertainment, from the perspective of a player. From the developer side, they can be an application of science and an art. Even if you are not interested in playing games, there a different side to them which is making them. As a comparison, people who dislike farming might get into biochemistry to produce genetically modified foods and love their work. The compartmentalization of societal tasks and activities means there are plenty of paths to travel in life.