Am i the only one who didt like FF7?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mystery323x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 mystery323x
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts

For some reason i never really liked FF7 its ok but i dont own it anymore because it didnt seem to be as good as other FF games. I really liked FF8, FF5 , FF9 , FF1 , FF3. But FF7 just didint hit the spot for me for some reason everyone seems to like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts
It was the game that got me into gaming, but let the flames begin below ;)
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts
yes im pretty sure you are the only one who didn't like it. :P personally i love FF7 but to each his own.
mystery323x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mystery323x
I liked the arcade in it :)
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

no your not

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
I thought it was good, but I also think it's the biggest overrated game in history.
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#7 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
Please state if you are a newb who wasnt around to play it when it first came out or if you are an old schooler who is just mental.
mystery323x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mystery323x
old schooler who just didnt like it
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Are you the only person who didn't like it? No.

Are you the only person who liked V but didn't like VII? Very probably.

Ranteal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Ranteal
Member since 2007 • 701 Posts
Yes, yes you are. On this my man, you are all alone. Anyone who didnt like FF7, is pure, no water added, evil.
FFuematsufan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 FFuematsufan
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts

There's a lot of people actually. I wasn't too big of a fan after midgar though.

Story was the only thing worth playing for.

DeadToFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DeadToFall
Member since 2006 • 486 Posts
the whole FF series is overrated
sinistra45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 sinistra45
Member since 2008 • 7379 Posts

Please state if you are a newb who wasnt around to play it when it first came out or if you are an old schooler who is just mental. _AbBaNdOn
I think that is the perfect question to ask...

It was so revolutionary for its time. FF7 IS the best game EVER!

daveyf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 daveyf03
Member since 2005 • 418 Posts
It's pretty average for me as well, I would rather replay one of the 16 bit ones, than 7 again. I do prefer 7 to 12 though.
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

Please state if you are a newb who wasnt around to play it when it first came out or if you are an old schooler who is just mental. _AbBaNdOn

Yeah, it's not like it his opinion or anything? That would be ridiculous. :roll:

bardos-the-3rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 bardos-the-3rd
Member since 2008 • 323 Posts
I'm not an oldschool player(for me the best final fantasy is ffX) and I'm playing since I was 7 and I'm 27 and I don't like ff 7 that much either,open your mind dude

Articuno76
very good point
Yes, yes you are. On this my man, you are all alone. Anyone who didnt like FF7, is pure, no water added, evil. Ranteal
have you played chrono trigger? because that game has a better combat system than ff7

It was so revolutionary for its time. FF7 IS the best game EVER!

sinistra45

the graphics and the marketing strategy were revolutionary,the materia system was poor because the differences between characters is very low(something that happens in most final fantasys)
the whole FF series is overratedDeadToFall
you are right, although there aren't that much rpgs out there that are as good as a final fantasy this kind of game exist but don't usualy get the treatment that they deserve

There's a lot of people actually. I wasn't too big of a fan after midgar though.

Story was the only thing worth playing for.

FFuematsufan

I had that feeling too,the first part in midgar is stunning with final bosses that need a special strategy and the city is so dark and different,after that the searching for sephirot gets you to typical places for an rpg and exept a few final bosses,the rest are a mere question of leveling up

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#17 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
CT has better combat than FF7?? BAHAHAhahahaa.
bardos-the-3rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bardos-the-3rd
CT has better combat than FF7?? BAHAHAhahahaa._AbBaNdOn
every character and character combination is different in ct in final fantasyplaying with the characters ends beeing nearly the same and the fact that you almost never can use level 4 atacks like omnislash makes this even worse,the materia makes that everyone can use magic and makes your choice of character depend on what characters you like and not a question of strategy depending how they fight, I'm saying that the strategical part is poor and most of the end-bosses ar a mere attack and heal yourselve until the enemy is dead, in ct you may have to discover the strategy(if you think that ff7 has a better combat system then say why).
kadomony1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kadomony1988
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts
I thought it was good, but I also think it's the biggest overrated game in history.Legendaryscmt
agree ^^ . although i may reinstall it on my PC again, havent played it ina while
staindcoldlp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 staindcoldlp
Member since 2004 • 15121 Posts
Nope. I played it and for whatever reason it didn't click with me like it did with everyone else. I just didn't like it as much.
Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
I loved FF7 in 97, it was just everything that fans could have wanted. I don't think I'll be playing through again but at the time I called into work the day after I got it and just to be sure that there would be no questions asked I claimed to have diarrhea.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

tbh I don't think it matters whether the TC is playing these games retro-actively or played them at the time. It still doesn't change anything. A good game is a good game, and if you are an avid retro gamer you'll be able to appreciate a game being impressive at the time relative to hardware.

In any case to this day no one has pointed out what was revolutionary about FF7 in terms of gameplay to me. I've had people point out superficial presentation changes and it's impact but nothing about the game itself. As far as I am concerned the JRPG on the whole has pretty much stayed largely the same since FF4.

Dion2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dion2k7
Member since 2007 • 1353 Posts

the whole FF series is overratedDeadToFall

Can you elaborate on why you think it's overrated.

because personally i think the majority are well told (Story) have a great set of characters although some i absolutly hate and that is Tidus. some of the leveling systems are fun like the sphere grid in ffx or the DMV system in FF7:cc was fun.

bardos-the-3rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bardos-the-3rd
man if this is really what you think(everybody of us sometimes say things that never mean the way they sound or simply never think too much about the things we say) you need to open your mind a little bit more. there are people out there that think that ff8 or metal gear solid 2(I even know somebody that likes terminator 3 the game) are the best in their series(there are a lot more of them than you think) and they are not newbies,retardet or fools they simply have another opinion that's all.
bardos-the-3rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bardos-the-3rd

[QUOTE="DeadToFall"]the whole FF series is overratedDion2k7

Can you elaborate on why you think it's overrated.

because personally i think the majority are well told (Story) have a great set of characters although some i absolutly hate and that is Tidus. some of the leveling systems are fun like the sphere grid in ffx or the DMV system in FF7:cc was fun.

the final fantasy saga is great, every game of the saga is fantastic ,but ,they are overrated. the reason is because for every person that asks which rpg should I get? you find 10 that ask that ask which final fantasy should I get? there are a few rpgs out there that are as worth to play as a final fantasy but 90% of the information and recommendations about rpgs you find are only about final fantasy,that's all
NoQuarterGiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NoQuarterGiven
Member since 2008 • 461 Posts

You are not alone, I too disliked FFVII. It was for me one of the least impressive games in the series, from a plot perspective and a battle system perspective. I was slightly rushed while playing the game, but the story didn't intrest me like that of FFVI, FFVIII or FFX. The materia system was one of my least favourite character improving systems in the series. All the FF games I've played before FFX I've played retroactively, and I must say even FFIV was more enjoyable for me than FFVII.

The FF games in general are overrated as well, as are the RPGs made by square in general. While I'll admit they're enjoyable, many of them are generic and don't attempt to break free from common plot lines and battle systems, (although I realize square set some of these trends). With enough searching it is not difficult to find more impressive RPGs. Atlus in particular has developed a number of RPGs better than those square has developed on the PS2 in my opinion.

cometflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cometflash
Member since 2005 • 181 Posts

I never played. Now that I might be the only one. :D

I only have played Final Fantasy X and X-2 the last one wasa waist of money, I was there as soon as the store open to be so dissapointed.:(

kaisama88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kaisama88
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I don't like JRPG game that look futuristic, that's why I dislike VII....

and the same reason I'm more interested in WKS than FFXIII.

Fick1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Fick1122
Member since 2006 • 2135 Posts

Articuno76

Actually, I liked 5 better than 6 and 7.

leofiregod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 leofiregod
Member since 2004 • 2084 Posts

For some reason i never really liked FF7 its ok but i dont own it anymore because it didnt seem to be as good as other FF games. I really liked FF8, FF5 , FF9 , FF1 , FF3. But FF7 just didint hit the spot for me for some reason everyone seems to like it.

mystery323x

you're definitely in the minority

kryu88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#31 kryu88
Member since 2006 • 9301 Posts
No, you're not alone in that you didn't like VII. There are plenty of people who prefer other FFs over it or other RPGs period (myself included). VII was great for it's time, but now it's lost its "wow" factor and most people think it's overrated. Which it may be, but that comes down to personal taste.
Soilworkcob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Soilworkcob
Member since 2003 • 626 Posts
FF7 is, yeah, overrated to be sure, but it is still a wonderful game, regardless.
Soilworkcob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Soilworkcob
Member since 2003 • 626 Posts
It's overrated because we have kids coming in here saying how great FF7 is when all the old-timers are sitting here like "This kid hasn't even touched Final Fantasy 4 or Final Fantasy 6 which, in my opinion is just as good, if not better than FF7."
TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

I hated 7.

I've played them all except for 10 and 10-2 but I couldn't stand 7. I've been with the franchise since it's first debut in the states and I found it to be a pretty weak experience.

It's just like Chrono Trigger, you play the game and put very little effort into thinking and strategy and just let the story push you along. I mean, with the materia system in place, there is almost no incentive to build up and use all the characters.

aots_twilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 aots_twilight
Member since 2004 • 1402 Posts

It's overrated because we have kids coming in here saying how great FF7 is when all the old-timers are sitting here like "This kid hasn't even touched Final Fantasy 4 or Final Fantasy 6 which, in my opinion is just as good, if not better than FF7."Soilworkcob

They are just probably not open minded enough to try older titles (because of three reasons: Graphics, The inability to acquire/play older titles or just plain old ignorant) or have played them but were not satisfied...

Indeed FF7 was "technically" my first RPG and yes I did like it... Loved it in fact at that time... But being able to go back and play older game titles was far more amusing and interesting nonetheless...

And after FF7 has been milked clean... Suffice to say I am not that much of a fan anymore... And there is this gut feeling telling me that it isn't over...

noamatt128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 noamatt128
Member since 2005 • 231 Posts
Come to think of it, I did sort of have to force myself to play it evertime... I do really like the story though, but some of the things are just laughably mediocre. I also think that it has an unrivaled traveling around the world map "what the hell am I going to do now" factor.