Alone in the Dark developer closes down

This topic is locked from further discussion.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
With Atari's recent financial struggles, the company recently announced that Eden Games, developer of Alone in the Dark (2008), is being closed down or possibly sold off. While the PC/Xbox 360/PS2/Wii versions of the game were awful, the Playstation 3 version (given the subtitle "Inferno") was actually a very good game. It features better controls, better camera work, more content, a better inventory system, and tons of other improvements over the mostly broken original. So in this thread, we remember Alone in the Dark: Inferno fondly. If you've never played the game, or if you played one of the non-PS3 versions, I highly recommend you check it out. The game is dirt cheap all over the place and it has some imaginative puzzles and good set pieces.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

The game was GREAT on PS3, one of my favorite games on the console. Shame that the devs are getting slapped in the face.

--T-Virus--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 --T-Virus--
Member since 2005 • 1556 Posts
I still have Alone in the Dark for 360 in my "to play some time later" list and... So far my experience with it was horrible. The control scheme is super awkward. Although I'm pretty sure I'll beat that game eventually.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

the Eden section really hasn't made that many games over the years

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonkeySpot

I still have Alone in the Dark for 360 in my "to play some time later" list and... So far my experience with it was horrible. The control scheme is super awkward. Although I'm pretty sure I'll beat that game eventually.--T-Virus--

The 360 version of the game is horrid... The PS3 version is quite good and a lot of those control issues have been erradicated. There's a great story in there, but no one would blame you for not following through with the 360 version.

:)

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

and since that is all they have out in the last several years other then the two Test Drive Unlimited games so I understand them being closed down by the parent company. Atari has not exaclty been an industry innovator recently so they can't afford to carry a division that isn't making a profit.

--T-Virus--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 --T-Virus--
Member since 2005 • 1556 Posts

[QUOTE="--T-Virus--"]I still have Alone in the Dark for 360 in my "to play some time later" list and... So far my experience with it was horrible. The control scheme is super awkward. Although I'm pretty sure I'll beat that game eventually.MonkeySpot

The 360 version of the game is horrid... The PS3 version is quite good and a lot of those control issues have been erradicated. There's a great story in there, but no one would blame you for not following through with the 360 version.

Well I just beat the game (for the 360). Have to say it had some memorable moments. I also liked new things developers tried in this game. Like the jacket-inventory stuff. And free roaming while you had to burn all those roots was half bad (loved raiding cars for supplies:D). Gotta say I imagined this game being far worse.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonkeySpot

CONGRATS on seeing it thorugh!!! It really DOES have some interesting innovations and a cool story to boot!!!

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
pc version was good as long as you played in first person. cant say that eden made anything good apart from alone in the dark, they got some good ideas and nice graphics in that game, but needed help.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Just wanted to bump this thread to add that Alone in the Dark, along with other Atari franchises, will be auctioned off this July. Any thoughts on who you guys would like to see grab Alone in the Dark?
Avatar image for ColdSwedishViki
ColdSwedishViki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ColdSwedishViki
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I would like to see Remedy to take that on, since they did a really good job with Alan wake.
-Water-Wings-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -Water-Wings-
Member since 2006 • 1099 Posts

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="--T-Virus--"]I still have Alone in the Dark for 360 in my "to play some time later" list and... So far my experience with it was horrible. The control scheme is super awkward. Although I'm pretty sure I'll beat that game eventually.--T-Virus--

Well I just beat the game (for the 360). Have to say it had some memorable moments. I also liked new things developers tried in this game. Like the jacket-inventory stuff. And free roaming while you had to burn all those roots was half bad (loved raiding cars for supplies:D). Gotta say I imagined this game being far worse.

I agree. Once I got past the awkward controls, I found myself enjoying the game. I think I was close to the end. I should go back and finish the game eventually.