All games entering Quebec to be translated in French in the coming months

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AuthenticM
Member since 2007 • 748 Posts

Every movie that enter Quebec must be translated in French, so must books (but to a lesser extent). Up to now, video games were an exception. It seems that won't be the case anymore. The Government of Quebec and the ESA are about to conclude an agreement (in mid-September) that will make all games entering Quebec to be fully translated in French.

Source

masori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 masori
Member since 2005 • 1680 Posts
nice but i still prefer the english version
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#3 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts
I prefer english versions but it's good for the Quebecois. I'mmoving to Quebec next year and I've forgotten my french so I guess french games would be good for me.
Darkwing_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Darkwing_Duck
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts
Quebec is an interesting case study. It's such a large province and an incredible dichotomous entity in Canada. Its geographical location is one of the reasons Canada refused sovereignty. Will that mean fewer games for Quebec?
Blayde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Blayde-
Member since 2007 • 142 Posts

Yee Haw, well I guess that's good news if you are a french only speaker in Quebec. That's got to be what....1000 people?

Seems like a rather large waste of money but that hasn't stopped Quebec before so...

Hopefully they get reasonable vioce actors and not some actors that come on the cheap.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#6 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Yee Haw, well I guess that's good news if you are a french only speaker in Quebec. That's got to be what....1000 people?

Seems like a rather large waste of money but that hasn't stopped Quebec before so...

Hopefully they get reasonable vioce actors and not some actors that come on the cheap.

Blayde-

Not really I lived 2 years in Quebec and people ''act'' like they don't speak english. They speak it horribly and are embarrassed of speaking it.

yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#7 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Québec has these language laws because they're insistent on conserving the French "culture". The important thing about this is that translations are a significant part of what holds up releases in Europe, so the release schedule for games in Québec, or worse, the whole of Canada, could be affected.
luc11044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 luc11044
Member since 2004 • 4606 Posts

I lived in "La Belle Province" for 15 years...I love the area but the language laws are ridiculous. How can such a small market dictate so much to so many companies?

Of all the nerve...

mosa922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 mosa922
Member since 2007 • 749 Posts
Wow thats cool.
matthewjackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 matthewjackman
Member since 2006 • 407 Posts

So if Quebec is moved to conincide with EU release dates is there going to be a black market for smuggled legal games, books and movies from other provinces?

Hmm come to think about it this could be the plot of a new movie...in english of course.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

Forgive my naivety, but won't the time it takes to translate the game into French contribute to a delay in which those in Quebec will be able to play the game? I'm just curious. It would seem to me that it would. I suppose it is a small price to pay in order to maintain a culture though and I for one see nothing wrong with that.

EDIT: I see that my question has been answered to some degree in previous post. With a delay in mind though, will it promote illegal methods to get games in English so that way people can play game without having to wait for the French translation? It seems in order to uphold a culture there are some negatives that surround it. I guess it would be no different than movies.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
Do the games have to include English as well as French? Because if the games feature only French, I'll have to avoid them if I ever come across a Quebec copy.
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#13 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Do the games have to include English as well as French? Because if the games feature only French, I'll have to avoid them if I ever come across a Quebec copy.LordAndrew
There wouldn't be a Québec law that states it has to be in English (and it wouldn't be a Canadian law either, as both English and French are official language and there's nothing making games be in both across Canada). However, an English version would be the first produced, so unless they're drastically low on disc space they'd always have both.
AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AuthenticM
Member since 2007 • 748 Posts

Do the games have to include English as well as French? Because if the games feature only French, I'll have to avoid them if I ever come across a Quebec copy.LordAndrew

They haven't gone into the specifics yet. They will probably disclose them after their meeting. I hope they translate the game using "Quebec French" in both text and vocals (just like they do with movies; universal French (not slang) but with Quebec actors). I don't want to see French expressions when playing my games. And the bigger the games, the bigger the actors maybe? I would kill to get Karine Vanasse to be the VA for the main character in FFXIII.

matthewjackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 matthewjackman
Member since 2006 • 407 Posts
I have no clue to the differences between Quebec French and French but I'd guess that Quebec would only get the same localisation that France does. Few companies (apart from some canadian ones perhaps?) would see the value in translating a game into..erm....Quebecian.
auxaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 auxaurus
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Ok, i have hear some information, so the game need to be in french IF the game is sale in french anywhere else in the world... So, if Super smash bros Brawl will be in America in 10Ferbuary 2008 and it isthe only placewhere you can buy it, the game will be sale in quebec onlyin english with absolutly no problem. But, when it will be available inFrance, it will need to be sell in french in Quebec. (so, Technically ,there not suppose to get any delay) but it will be hard to make a good application in that type of case. And the law will only star in 2009, so no obligation for right now. So in Quebec we need to fear the higter cost price (i thing the game will cost more if we are the only place in America to find a french game (this is already thepresent for some english PC game)) and maybe some dalay in some situation. But we will always be able to buy on ebay in any bad case... (and it will be (most of the time (99%)) international french... so not a realy nice french for a Québécois)