What's Next For Gamespot?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for saturatedbutter
SaturatedButter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 SaturatedButter
Member since 2014 • 2289 Posts

This site feels dead now. Livestreams are gone. Only one we got left is Now Playing. Danny's 'The Point' video series hasn't had an episode in over a month and is removed from the front page schedule. There was no "Next Big Game" feature for August. No "Game of The Month" for August. The new Analog video series with the hot redhead Lisa Foiles is gone. The Gameplay podcast slowly burned out as it turned into an unpromoted audio-only thing before just completely going away. They layed off a bunch of staff. I'm running out of reasons to keep coming back here. I don't mean this in any sort of offensive or provocative way. I'm honestly wondering what Gamespot is doing. So much content is being cut and nothing new has come in to replace it.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Well, all the things you mentioned are the results of the layoffs. All that content can't be made with the amount of staff they have now so they're just trying to adapt to the new situation, it'll probably get better soon once they figure things out. Also, Now Playing isn't the only live show left, there's also The Lobby. (Tuesdays 2PM PT)

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By s_h_a_d_o
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts

@saturatedbutter said:

This site feels dead now.

It passed away a while ago...

SaturatedButter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SaturatedButter

@harry_james_pot: yeah. I was thinking more about the regular livestreams where they just play 1 game for an hour. There were so many. Megabit, Shaun Method, Random Encounter, Multiple Players, House of Horrors. That was several hours of content every week that many people devoted time to watching. With nothing left to replace it readers/viewers are just going to stop coming here. Danny's 28 hour Half-Life charity marathon provided more video content than Gamespot did in the entire month of August, and that includes PAX Prime coverage.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@saturatedbutter: Danny said that The Point was now going to stop being a weekly show and instead now come out whenever. This is so it would give him and his camera man Andy more freedom to do other projects.

SaturatedButter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SaturatedButter

@behardy24: And that would be fine if there were other projects being done. This content has been disappearing and not being replaced by anything. The Gameplay podcast dwindled away before the layoffs and I don't hear of it being replaced in any way. The Lobby maybe kinda replaces that podcast but not really.

BravoOneActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BravoOneActual
Member since 2010 • 799 Posts

Glitches were alive and well before "The Change".

Mods were waaaaaay crazier back in the day, too. Knee-jerk bans and suspensions were far more random and prevalent... even for stuff said in blogs and unions. Popular staff like Gerstmann (I'm not a fan, but he had a following) and Kasavin came and went, just like today.

Eliminating unions and virtually eliminating blogs in favor of the current social media inspired click-bait/system wars format certainly crushed any shot at community building. In the new video-based "journalism" era, shows are coming and going faster than ever. Notice the Lisa Foiles experiment flopped in less than two months? It's like they're just throwing s**t at the wall and seeing what sticks at this point...

I guess I could go on, but my point is: The more things change, the more they stay the same... But at least the community itself provided some kind of consistency, back in the day.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8  Edited By ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

This site's day has long passed. CBS needs to put Gamespot out to pasture, and just go with Giant Bomb. The only good remaining staff are Danny O'Dwyer and Kevin Van Ord.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@saturatedbutter said:

@harry_james_pot: yeah. I was thinking more about the regular livestreams where they just play 1 game for an hour. There were so many. Megabit, Shaun Method, Random Encounter, Multiple Players, House of Horrors. That was several hours of content every week that many people devoted time to watching. With nothing left to replace it readers/viewers are just going to stop coming here. Danny's 28 hour Half-Life charity marathon provided more video content than Gamespot did in the entire month of August, and that includes PAX Prime coverage.

I watched all those shows live and I really miss them. But as I said they're not just sitting around being lazy, we have to wait a bit until they figure out where to go from here and hire some new people or whatever. Do you know that the video team that's responsible for streaming only has two people left now?
And btw there's been a lot of Now Playing streams lately. They play a horror game every week, yesterday there was a Shadow of Mordor stream, and on Monday they're streaming Destiny.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#10 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

It's been a busy summer with E3, PAX, Gamescom and now TGS, it's not that surprising and they got layoffs

Zakule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Zakule
Member since 2002 • 74 Posts

"What's Next For Gamespot?"

Hopefully, the shithouse. And you should pray for that moment to come as soon as possible. The nimrods that took over this site absolutely fucking destroyed it! Only thing to do now is shit-can the whole thing and let a new company take over.

holonic-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 holonic-
Member since 2014 • 99 Posts

@saturatedbutter: I agree with you. GS is just not as fun as it used to be. The old GS site was sooo much better and ever since the new site came to be, I'm not impress at all. Feedbackula gone was one of my favorite thing here on GS and now that it's history, I just think this year might be my last year coming to GS unless things improve in 2015.

SaturatedButter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SaturatedButter

@holonic-: In my opinion,Feedbackula was only great pre-GTA V. Then after that review they decided not to highlight and mock trolls anymore, which was the whole point of that show. It encouraged trolling, but it was damn funny. It just was never as good anymore afterwards.

That's just my opi-onion.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

it still to this day amazes me at what a monumental **** up they made of the site redesign. how on earth did whoever was in charge of it manage to convince the powers that be that to strip away just about everything that had made the website so popular over the past decade and replace it with this bloated, broken nonsense was a good idea. it's absolutely crazy. the lack of research into the change is staggering

Zakule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Zakule
Member since 2002 • 74 Posts

@Macutchi said:

it still to this day amazes me at what a monumental **** up they made of the site redesign. how on earth did whoever was in charge of it manage to convince the powers that be that to strip away just about everything that had made the website so popular over the past decade and replace it with this bloated, broken nonsense was a good idea. it's absolutely crazy. the lack of research into the change is staggering

My thoughts exactly.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d0fe42747d9
deactivated-57d0fe42747d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 deactivated-57d0fe42747d9
Member since 2014 • 126 Posts

Bring back Escape From Mount Stupid!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Replacing all legitimate staff with 20 year old boy band looking pricks and hot girls to tell us about the next EA or Activision game and why it's "hot" seems like the next logical step. Kevin Vanord and Craig Doyle are too normal looking and hitting the 40's mark.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

@Macutchi: Agree completely. They need to fire every employee that had anything to do with the horrible redesign.