User Review Requests Archive Discussion!

• 161 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#51 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I disagree with it all, making things even more simple can give serious issues between games that have questionable content. I think for instance any game between 5 and 8, where making things to easy might needlessly give a game review an unnuanced view. A game can be a 6 and be good for some or bad for some, that's why being able to range it as accurately as possible can help differentiate it. As I said, if you make the Graphics/sound/gameplay/etc settings optional and only make a final score scaled to 100 mandatory then users can choose themselves to accentuate whatever they'd likeDaavpuke

I still think bringing it back is a bad idea. The reason it was discarded in the first place was because it was deemed to complex, and wasn't at all made to be used for comparison purposes unlike what public perception would imply, which I wholeheartedly agree with. The current system is fine as is. I say leave the numbers be (that's something for the editorial department to handle, anyway, not us) and instead focus on implementing anything that can improve our reviews.

SR71halo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 205

#52 SR71halo
Member since 2006 • 7799 Posts

As others have said, I too would like to see a feedback section on reviews. The thumbs up and down section is nice but it doesn't tell you if you're review was any good as it seems most people recommend your review if you give a game they like a high score and give you a thumbs down if you don't, and vise versa with a game they hate. Feedback would certainly help improve the quality of all reviews for everyone, provided that nobody trolls in it, but we can just mod them.

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#53 mariostar0001
Member since 2009 • 46245 Posts
As one of the ones who made the "more options to sort reviews then recent" I still agree with that idea being a good one. On the other issues, I think updates to the options you have to write reviews are definitely in order by now, a well-written review is great but "a picture (Emblem) is worth a thousand words". :P And a 300 word minimum on reviews is a great idea, the amount of "this game is great/hideous, (don't) buy it now/ever!" reviews is painful.
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#54 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

I really appreciate this discussion, since there are some changes I feel would only be good for everyone involved. :)

I myself am an officer of a reviewers' union, so there have been numerous discussions about what could be improved. One thing that was particularly discussed is the "thumbs up, thumbs down" option, and how it could be made more in the line of rather emphasizing rewarding good writing and arguments instead of just thumbing up if you agree, thumbing down if you disagree. This could be done with the mentioned "comments section" on reviews, though it might turn into the opposite, i.e. a place where people will be insulting each other.

What I'd rather have is to organize the system a bit more like on GameFAQs, having a set, higher word count limit. You notice it already in the review section how most of the reviews are more than just random scribblings.

Organizing reviews would also be a welcome addition, for instance in regards to the top 100 and 500 and in relation to how recommended it is with thumbs-up. Adding an emblem function is something I haven't heard of, but it would be very sweet.

I don't want to sound like just another complainer, but I'd still want to recommend that at least the users get the simple function of being able to rate games by 0.1 increments. I do so and I'm often in a hassle deciding what I should make the score be in 0.5 increments. I don't think there needs to be a system like before, with separate functions, just the option to have 0.1 increments.

Thanks again for the discussion, it's great to see that you're willing to listen so earnestly to the users.

Setho10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#55 Setho10
Member since 2004 • 3295 Posts

I agree on almost all of those ideas. I especially want to be able to add emblems similar to the staff reviews. Since we can't give specific scores for graphics and audio and so forth, it can be hard to quickly communicate the good and bad things about a game without adding too much text to make the review interesting for the reader. I also like having a feedback box for the writer. I would recommend that a function be implemented where a user can be blocked from giving feedback if the author wishes, so that people who want to attack anyone who disagrees with their points on a game can be safely ignored. Other than that, all the ideas seem good. A sorting feature would be really nice as well. Glad this is being discussed. I look forward to any changes implemented.

Tikicobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#56 Tikicobra
Member since 2009 • 2058 Posts

I'd love to add my pros and cons, like in official GameSpot reviews.

Cunhao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#57 Cunhao
Member since 2004 • 63 Posts

In general, any new ideas to improve player's reviews are great. In my taste, more we can put in a review, like photos and videos, could really improve the posts and texts. Also, a text editor could help to format the review and make it easy to read and comprehend.

Have to say that the increase of minimum words is almost necessary. Was really sad the number of useless reviews that I found with the minimum words. 100 is very little to add to a minimum that I don't ever consider a text.

The change of the way how we give scores is of low importance, since that a score is just a 'reference' to a game, not what it is. What is important is what you write about it, not in what score you give.

A user filter could be a good idea too, making easier to find the good stuff. Notice that is almost impossible to know a good review to a bad one only looking to its "review deck". Or we find a good review through someone we know or through the "thumbs up or down".

Avatar image for AK_the_Twilight
AK_the_Twilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 152

#58 AK_the_Twilight
Member since 2008 • 286 Posts

First off, great thread. All of the reviewers are offering great and important suggestions to making reviews easier and more fun to write and discuss.

Here's my thoughts on some of these ideas:

Sorting: Yes. There are some great reviews that desperately need to be seen and read, so being able to sort reviews based on score and reviewer status would be fantastic. I'd hate to let great but up-and-coming reviewers get buried beneath more prolific reviewers, but having multiple ways to sort reviews for each game would be beneficial not only to reviewers looking to help out the community with their advice, but also those looking for strong advice as to whether or not a game is good enough to be worth their time and money.

Score Refinement: As much as I didn't like the change from .1 to .5 differences in score at first, I find that narrowing the gap is important. However, there must be a balance. I feel that while a 1-5 scale is simple, it doesn't really tell whether a game is better than another particularly well. The 1-10 scale is better, but it still feels a bit narrow. I like the 1-10 (.5) level scale a lot as I feel that it nails that balance. It's easy to see if one game is better than another, but also makes it easier for the reviewer to assign a numeric value to a given game. In my opinion, keep the scoring as it is.

Video and Image Integration: Please, please do this. Visual and audio is important in this day and age, and giving the reviewer community some form of visual or audio integration into their reviews would expand the creativity bar considerably. Players could offer their own personal experiences in the game which would broaden the review community, allowing users to check out multiple viewpoints. I know that video reviews are already assignable in the user videos (I've made one myself, and have watched many others), but being able to assign video qualities to the reviews would be great. At the very least offer community reviewers the same reviewing privileges as the staff reviewers like heightened pros and cons, and emblems to signify importances in the game. I feel that community reviewers are at a disadvantage in this department, so this is probably my biggest suggestion to improving the review community.

Thumbs-up and Thumbs-down: The thumbs-down has become abused, so scrapping the thumbs-down button (and using a new sorting system) would allow good reviews to float to the top, regardless of those who simply don't like the game instead of those who don't like the REVIEW. This is a big point, as I've seen some fantastically written reviews get neglected just because their score or content was against the grain. A review that doesn't follow the general trend is bound to have some backlash, which brings down the reviewer morale and can even discourage them from writing more of their well-written reviews. Eliminating the thumbs-down button is a progressive idea, one that will keep morale up and give the better reviews the feedback that they need to prosper.

This is a great discussion that everyone has contributed to with flying colors. I give my thanks to everyone who's offered their ideas to this. As an avid reviewer, I treasure the review community, so I'm very happy that others care so much for the review community. Keep at it, everyone!

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#59 ZimpanX
Member since 2005 • 12636 Posts

A comments section for user reviews would be great and being able to hand out emblems like in the reviews written by GS editors. also I would prefer it if user score on games were based on user reviews only as that increases the chance the people have played the game in question giving the game a more fair and accurate score.

Avatar image for smithbubbajones
smithbubbajones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#60 smithbubbajones
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts

I think that the increase of the minimum word count would help out a lot. Also, I saw a suggestion around here that top 100/500 community reviewers' reviews should be noted as by a top 100/500 reviewer. Because I have no humility and I want everybody to know how great I am.

And "The Bottom Line" taglines, I've never been a fan of them.

Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#61 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts
I know I'm a little late here, but I agree with every single suggestion in the first post made by Jody. I especially like the idea of getting rid of the thumbs down and, just like you said, giving it a 'was this review helpful' sort of system. Being able to add pictures and videos would be great also. Could we also give emblems to games, like the official Gamespot reviews do?
GeekyDad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#62 GeekyDad
Member since 2006 • 1697 Posts

Personally, I think the options on Gamespot for user reviews are probably the best around. I wouldn't mind having an option to leave short comments below a user review, though.

MasterMarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#63 MasterMarcus
Member since 2002 • 1656 Posts
  • review ``helpful or not'' instead of thumbs, definitely;
  • since writing good reviews require MUCH work than just participating/voting in features which often grant several emblems at once, i suggest making more emblems ( with better design) for xxx reviewers, based on quality, helpful, and such -- not just the actual lame top 100, 500, grandfathered;
  • fonts for pros, cons, and emblems akin editor review (or limited in order to avoid space abuse/ reserved to top 100?);
  • special event(s) with some rewards during the November/December rush when people may read more reviews;
  • if feasible, a direct linking ''hours played'' with %achievements/trophies for XBox/PS3 games, to show how far the user has mastered the game, either tightening or not the overall review or the validity of specific details exposed within.
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#64 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
A lot of good idea's and I like a lot of them that's been said, the biggest one being feedback. A lot of people would like to have feedback on their reviews to see how they did. If they're just starting to write reviews better reviewers can tell them things they could improve and work on, so eventually their reviews will get better over time. The second one would be reviews for hardware, there is a lot of things people should avoid buying but they don't because they didn't know it wasn't a good product.
IonescoF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#65 IonescoF
Member since 2007 • 3052 Posts
It looks like I have come here quite late. I really don't have anything considerable to add. The ability to use too pro and con awards like staff reviewers have probably been said before. As for the presence of a comment box and the inclusion of audio and/or video content, I have certainly see them in here. So my post here is almost pointless. Other than that, I really don't have much to comment. It is already wonderful that we can make reviews, and that is not thought of too often, it's like most of us take it for grant, but that is probably because few have the "transcendental" feeling of being a reviewer (OK, this just sounds extremely pretentious, but there could be a real sense of satisfaction in all this reviewer work...).
Azghouls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 314

#66 Azghouls
Member since 2006 • 815 Posts

A quote from Master Marcus:

If feasible, a direct linking ''hours played'' with %achievements/trophies for XBox/PS3 games, to show how far the user has mastered the game, either tightening or not the overall review or the validity of specific details exposed within.

Also add steam / raptor / xfire etc. My reason for this is that at least I can see that the revieweractually made an effort of playing the game instead of playing the tutorial (so-to-speak).

Also add those little icons that the gamespot reviewers have.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#67 64316431
Member since 2008 • 347 Posts
Only allowing users to review the games that are in their lists wouldn't go down so well. Many don't use that feature. Reviews by top 100 or top 500 reviewers should be marked as such, or atleast given some kind of demarcation that indicates to a user that this review can be trusted. Increase the 100 word count. Good reviews are atleast 500 words. And i've seen tons of reviews that just describe the story of the game. An option to report spoilers would be appreciated. Comments on reviews would be nice, though i do get that flame wars could start up. But this is a needed feature and if you could find a way to implement it, nothing better.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#68 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

Thanks for bringing this up Jody, I only really have a couple of things to say.

- Disallow users to review or rate a game if it's not in their tracked, recent played, or game collection #1 Ask the Mods discussion | #2

JodyR

While I see the point in this to stop people hating on games they haven't even played (I have read a few that were so off the wall it wasn't even funny) That would stop people like me from reviewing certain titles like Suikoden 3 which I own but can't add to my collection as it is a US import :PI also tend not to use the tracking or now playing list as I swap titles quite quickly.

- Disallow users to review one specific game across all consoles (text shouldn't be exactly the same due to the console or PC/Mac having different capabilities and controls

JodyR

This I completely agree with. Even multi-platform titles have differences, sometimes quite obviously so. People should only review games for the platform they used, not accross the board as it makes them inaccurate.

I am also in full agreement with others here regarding the increased word count up to maybe 300? I doubt it will stop certain peaople spamming a letter over and over to reach it but it may put some people off.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#69 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
You know about that suggestion to point out a review done by a Top 100/500 Reviewer, I wouldn't mind that, it'd be a cool feature. Like somewhere on the summary at the top of their review and somewhere on the little area where it shows the short description for someone's review, you could maybe put the Top Reviewer emblem or a mini version of it there. I think it's something that could help a bit but something far from necessary.
LGTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#70 LGTX
Member since 2009 • 858 Posts

Okay regarding all these thumbs up/down, tracking, and review feedback discussions... I had a somewhat crazy idea I'd nevertheless like to voice. It involves combining the aforementioned in a relatively whole system - hold your tomatoes. Okay, here goes.

Assuming the necessity to have a game on one of your tracked lists in order to be able to review it IS integrated, along with review comments, why not follow up with something like this:

Instead of the number of users agreeing/disagreeing with a given review, you are given a small notice, below the review link, as to how many users... commented on it. The thing is, only a user who has the very same game on their tracked lists can comment on a review for that game.

It may be just enough to discourage trolls to bother, and will provide feedback on how much folk actually read the thing with an objective point of view, albeit dismissing agreement/disagreement info (which is unneeded really, you don't need to agree on a review to consider it well-written and worthy of your comment).

It will also make commenting on a review for elaboration's sake (before you've brought the game) impossible, but most of us only read and give feedback to see if viewpoints match, right?

I understand it may sound too complex, unthought through (I just came up with this) and definitely borderline impossible to implement, but what the heck, I thought I'd throw in something for discussion. What do you think, guys?

Garrison_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 174

#71 Garrison_Ford
Member since 2007 • 202 Posts

It's good to see that the user reviews are going to be updated for the better. I agree with all the points you listed here Jody. Another thing I would like to see is just a minor formating system where you can change the justification of the text to center justified. Right justified on a form like this just looks sloppy, imo. :) Thanks again.

The-Longshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#72 The-Longshot
Member since 2006 • 1321 Posts

I too am a bit late but had a message in my inbox requesting my input, so here goes.

I agree the words requirement should be upped, and making it easier to add pictures would be cool to.

I also concur that a "helpfull" or "Not" option would be good for the reviews, this way whatever users feel or find to be the most beneficial will be on top and easier to find for all of us.

Only allowing people to write reviews if they "Own" the game though, I'm not so sure about. If you can rent and beat the game in that time, you should still be able to write a review for it even if it isn't technically part of your collection. But like others said by allowing someone who has at least tracked or had the game in their "now playing" list to write reviews for the game would help offset that.

I'll be looking forward to the review improvements.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#73 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Comments on reviews would be nice, though i do get that flame wars could start up. But this is a needed feature and if you could find a way to implement it, nothing better.64316431

Well, one way to make sure there wouldn't be any flame wars would be to somehow tie-in the feedback with the Top 100/500 emblem, meaning only those who have the emblems (plus mods & staff) could post feedback.:P

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#74 buft
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts
@jodyR The rules regarding reviews needs updated, my main gripe is that a user can write anything they want so long as its in the format of a review, reviews that grossly misrepresent a game and its mechanics should be candidates for deletion.there are far too many "butthurt" reviews on this site and they should be viewed as trolling. here is one great example of the troll review for forza 3. http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/driving/forzamotorsport3/player_review.html?id=746925&tag=player-reviews;continue;6 he uses phrases such as "retarded" and gives statements which arent true such as "Damage is all cosmetic so don't expect any mechanical damage" but because it looks like a review its allowed to stay there, a blemish on an otherwise fine website.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 c_rakestraw  Moderator

What do you think, guys?LGTX

It's not a bad idea, but I'm uncertain of it being able to deter any type of trollish comments from cropping up. Adding a game to your tracked list doesn't take much do to, and if that's all that's needed to make a comment, then I don't see too big of a change happening in that regard. Additionally, having to track a game seems a bit pointless just to post a simple comment, especially for older titles.

It's a decent idea, though.

Well, one way to make sure there wouldn't be any flame wars would be to somehow tie-in the feedback with the Top 100/500 emblem, meaning only those who have the emblems (plus mods & staff) could post feedback.:Ptopsemag55

Do many of us who hold the top reviewers emblem often go through reading other player reviews, though? Because if not, then that's kinda of a waste. Such an ability may encourage some to do so, granted, but still. Seems like something that should be open to everyone.

Sagacious_Tien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#76 Sagacious_Tien
Member since 2005 • 12562 Posts
As someone who really puts the effort into their reviews I feel strongly about this issue. Frankly, user reviews are an underappreciated part of Gamespot. They are under-utilised and many are poorly written. However, there are those who put in the work and have written examplary reviews worthy of their own publication. And if the system were to be overhauled so that those who do the work can have it showcased and made more available than that can only be a good thing. I think adding images is an interesting idea - if you could limit it to that games official images available I think that would be best. Finally, I think you should check in with the Community Contributions Union as they had a shortlist about what can be fixed with the system and their personal wants.
smbius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 1

#77 smbius
Member since 2002 • 1610 Posts

I like:

I really do like the sort review feature. Can we make the top 100-500 reviewers get the nod first as the default sort?

It's hard to find quality user reviews when you have to sift through several pages of "this is the best game evar" or "sucks" before you can find something worthwhile.

Additionally, I think there needs to be an algorithm to detect a user from consistently giving thumbs up and thumbs down on 10s or 1s or any ridiculously skewed review scores. Example: User cannot just walk for stuff review. to 10-20 10-based scores

Idea: Provide featured reviews by users - a review being featured by users should be handled by moderators. Basically highlight the best user reviews.

What I don't like: I don't like the idea of having something in your collection list as a requirement for review. That's just another delay tactic that will not slow down the abusive user from doing the inevitable - provide overly bias review scores.

Top Community Reviewers Badge keeping Badge requirement:

Should at least have 4-5 reviews a year. High quality, non-bias but factual and clean review should be the points for getting a reviewer badge.

TristanH12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#78 TristanH12
Member since 2005 • 4581 Posts
The allowing feedback is the option I like best as it could be vital for getting more information versus the current method of sending a PM to ask. Difficulty options as well sound like a good. Disallowing users to review one specific game across all consoles would get my vote as well!
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#79 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
I think the thumbs up/thumbs down feedback is next to useless. I've actually had people go into my profile and just thumbs down all my reviews on a given page just for saying something they obviously didn't like in the forums. there's no rhyme or reason to it, they can like the game more than you, like the game less than you, disagree with a single point the writer made, etc. The Opposite is also true, I can play an Olsen Twins game and post a blog about it, there will be some people in my friends list that will thumb up my game just because I wrote it, (probably call me names in the process too) It's an easily abused system that really offers zero feedback. Now if a comments section was provided in conjunction with that, it would be easier to police and would be more useful. Would like the game page to list reviews in an order other than Chronological. Maybe a random review in the 8-10 range, one from the 1-4 range and one from the 5-7 range along with the newest review. This would probably be a pain in the ass to program but it would give a bunch of views all at once and more than likely be more helpful than just who the lastest people to review the games were. pictures/html would be great, you can get rid of difficulty and classification drop downs because they really don't say much. a higher minimum of words would be good.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#81 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
My two cents: I believe smerlus said it, people come in and randomly rate down all of my reviews in a blanket method, which is why my profile is not public now and cheapens the whole point of having thumbs up/down... Second I believe that having a minimum number of characters to post a review should be enforced, basically meaning that you have to not only have sufficient knnowledge of the game but a good grasp of writing more than "omg halo r0xx0rz!" by xxxSephirothssjxxx. Finally, I take player review aggregates and trusted player reviews more seriously than most professional reviewers as their only bias should be if they are a fan, and not based on if they get a scoop or an early copy. A few deviant reviews that highlight the problems any number of professional outlets ignore would have saved me from buying into the hype train, as well as many other gamers out there. Basically a way of highlighting the best reviews from the community should be implemented for the best tracking games I think, but the overall system works pretty well still.
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#82 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
I'm kind of disappointed that I just got the memo. :P It's pretty safe to say that all of my thoughts have been said at least once in this thread. I fully support most idea in this thread and think they would make reviews much better and more appealing.
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#83 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
While I have not posted a review in a few years, I have some awesome ones in the works that blow all of my previous ones out of the water. The one thing that always bothered me was the lack of ability to insert images in reviews. Inserting pictures would allow users to clearly point out bugs and issues that a game may have or just an occurrence the reviewer found interesting without boring or confusing the reader. The best way to grant us the option is to let us use HTML in our reviews. The lack of HTML is annoying because it prevents us from putting emphasis (i.e bold and italicized text) on words in our reviews without throwing off the flow or making it look odd. Hardware/accessory reviews would be nice so long as you cannot review the actual systems themselves. Having the ability to review systems would create to much tension among the community. Like many people here I would like to have the ability to use the gamespot review emblems. At least grant us this option if giving us the ability to use images is not going to work.
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#84 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

I have never been a fan of the current review scoring system. Some may think that there isn't any difference between a 9.1 and a 9.4, but I believe there is. It allowed you to be more precise with your scoring. Does the current scoring system work? Yes, but I believe it took a step backwards with the revamp. For example, the removal of the individual scoring of a games graphics, sound, ect. was a bad move. It gave a summary of what you thought of each aspect of the game, although you should be able to give your own custom score instead of the score you give each category determining it for you (like it was with the old system). Including the badges would be a step in the right direction, but I still think it could be improved over that.

Allowing images, in addition HTML, would definitely be a major enhancement. It would player reviews look more professional and give them much more customizable options for their reviews. Adding player video reviews would also be just as good. The player would feel like a professional editor and reviewer of Gamespot.

Removing the thumbs down option is also a serious concern as well. To me, all that has to be shown is if a review was helpful. If it is, all the many players can give it a thumbs up. No need to see how many thumbed it down (this goes for comments as well). If a player disagrees with a review, well they have the right to but there's no need to thumb down a nicely written review just because you disagree with it. Just don't vote it up. I think removing the thumbs down would help a lot, and it would make writing reviews less "risky".

Having the ablility to sort reviews would also be helpful, and it would give the chance for older reviews to be seen much easier.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#85 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Great thread, nice to see all the user review enhancements together. I think the first three are the most important, a way to search for user reviews would be brilliant, being able to use the review medals will be very useful and being able to add images would be nice, especially for longer reviews. A comment system would be nice too, especially if the thumbs down system was removed as constructive criticism is always useful. Track Author button would be a very nice feature. Suggestions: How about links to Facebook or Twitter? I'm sure many would want to share their reviews with the rest of the world. How it works with blogs would work fine. With adding perks for top reviewers, how about some sort of soapbox section for the best reviews? I pretty much support all of the points up there but the points I mentioned are the suggestions I support most strongly.
asian_pride69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#86 asian_pride69
Member since 2006 • 17141 Posts

Also add steam / raptor / xfire etc. My reason for this is that at least I can see that the revieweractually made an effort of playing the game instead of playing the tutorial (so-to-speak).

Azghouls

I support this. Honesty is obviously important, and doing this eliminates the complaints of "oh this guy didn't play enough of this game to fully judge it" because they've got solid evidence that they actually have.

-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#87 -The-G-Man-
Member since 2007 • 6414 Posts
how about access to the Game Emblems for user reviews? maybe restrict their usage to users with a certain amount of recommendations or something if they start getting abused?
TazmanianD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#88 TazmanianD
Member since 2002 • 1476 Posts

I used to write more reviews with this site but I rarely do now which I tackled in my own thread on the subject which got picked up in the first post in this thread. I think everyone wants to be able to see and read good high quality reviews but the bottom line I think comes down to that there is no longer any motivation for anyone to do that other than for whatever personal enjoyment they get out of the process. Many years ago, the better reviews managed to bubble their way up into a "Featured Reviews" section and I found that I could often get into that section by writing good reviews. When the section went away, I no longer had any incentive to spend time on a review that would likely disappear in short order and very few people would end up reading.

For me, the most significant thing you could do to re-engage me in the review process is to make it so my reviews (when deserving of course) actually get read by more people and I think the old "Featured Reviews" feature did that well.

TazmanianD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 TazmanianD

The problem I have with the Thumbs Up/Down thing we have now is that it's trying to capture two different things. One is "I agree with this review" and the other is "This is a good review". Those two things are different and you may not necessarily have the same vote on them. I can disagree with a good review that I think is nevertheless worthy of others reading. Likewise, I can agree with a review that is short and to the point but not nessarily I would recommend everyone read.

And in fact, the system is even worse because the labels used are different. On the list of reviews page you see "2 users agree with this review" but on the review details page you see "Rate this review Up/Down". Those are not the same thing!

I would think that rating the quality of a review would be a more useful metric for the rest of the community than how many people agree with it and if we can get those buttons to reflect quality over agreement, I think that would be a plus. Perhaps we need two different sets of buttons? What about a "Would you recommend this review" button? Perhaps each user has a new list of recommended reviews that might discourage people from just adding trash to.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

[QUOTE="Azghouls"]

asian_pride69

I support this. Honesty is obviously important, and doing this eliminates the complaints of "oh this guy didn't play enough of this game to fully judge it" because they've got solid evidence that they actually have.

I don't really use any of those by-products, so what about the people that just play games? Or people that play games from before the age of internet? I don't see a lot of benefit into it, other than cutting another percentage of writers from getting noticed.
soul_motor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#91 soul_motor
Member since 2003 • 2348 Posts
Some of theses suggestions are great. I'd really like to see a reviewer breakdown page for each reviewer. It would break down average review score, and maybe categorize. This would be helpful in this way: if I see a guy reviews most RPG's high, he's probably an RPG gamer. His review of Blue Dragon is more valid than the guy who plays mostly sports games but tried Blue Dragon because his grandma bought it for him. Changing the thumbs system to "was this helpful" is great. A review for Halo with no content to Halo and is all about kittens will get a thumbs up for me as I smiled, but it wasn't really helpful to determining if I want to play Halo. (to my knowledge there isn't a Halo Kitty review out there, I made it up.)
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#92 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
how about access to the Game Emblems for user reviews? maybe restrict their usage to users with a certain amount of recommendations or something if they start getting abused?-The-G-Man-
I like this idea if possible.
h3LL_ZinKy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#93 h3LL_ZinKy69
Member since 2010 • 184 Posts

I thank you gamespot for taking peoples ideas and putting them up for discussion. I believe that having a comments section on the user reviews could help alot as people get to see what people think of the review you have written, and I understand you would also need moderators to help look at these reviews for spam or offensive talk (hint hint im open!). Also perhaps some form of structure to reviews? Give people subheadings to start with so they have topics to talk about and may add or delete sub heading to meet there own personal preference, in my own opinion, if I see a review with no sturcture, i dont read it. There either difficult to read or not detailed enough to meet my personal taste. Hope you read and hope my changes can be taken into effect.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#94 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

[QUOTE="Azghouls"]

asian_pride69

I don't think that's logical. XFire can reduce performance of certain games, or cause other conflicts, so odds are people are not going to use XFire all the time. If I look at my own profile, I have about 5 hours clocked on Crysis, while that really should be about 20 hours seeing as I beat the game twice. Shadow of Chernobyl has 2 hours, and that's probably closer to a 50 in reality, if it weren't for the fact that XFire makes that game crash like every 15 minutes.

Moreover, I think it's a bad idea in general to try and put some sort of control over reviewers. I'm a reviewer here, and I contribute to this site's user section for fun: for the pleasure of myself and for entertaining and informing others, and I'm sure this is pretty much the same for every serious user reviewer on this site. Installing measures to try and verify if people are for real appears to me as megalomanic, and it would create the wrong climate, seeing as they're based on the preassumption that you might be pulling everyone's leg. Add to this the fact that you can usually notice from the review if someone has actually played that game, and there is really no necessity for this measure at all.

ChristianKiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#95 ChristianKiss
Member since 2005 • 326 Posts

Those features look amazing. I would like to add this: Make the user lose all the thumbs up/down when the review has its score dramatically changed or got the text heavily modified (now sure how that could be implemented).

My point on this: I'm quite an old user here in GameSpot and I've seen several reviewers doing this: Post a very posivite review about a popular game just a few days after its release; and then, after a month or less, the reviewer edits substantially the score and the text itself to point aspects that weren't mentioned before.

soul_motor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#96 soul_motor
Member since 2003 • 2348 Posts

Those features look amazing. I would like to add this: Make the user lose all the thumbs up/down when the review has its score dramatically changed or got the text heavily modified (now sure how that could be implemented).

My point on this: I'm quite an old user here in GameSpot and I've seen several reviewers doing this: Post a very posivite review about a popular game just a few days after its release; and then, after a month or less, the reviewer edits substantially the score and the text itself to point aspects that weren't mentioned before.

ChristianKiss
Good call there. I've never noticed this, but yeah, if you change the review substantially then all the thumbs are meaningless.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 c_rakestraw  Moderator

I have another suggestion: Could we possibly see an increase on the character count for the review deck? The current maximum of 120 characters is fine and all but it is a tad restricting, I find. If it could be upped to, say, 150 or so (180 tops, maybe?) it would make writing up the deck easier.

TazmanianD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 TazmanianD

If we want the ability to sort reviews or have something like a Featured Review section then obviously you need a way to rank reviews. Here are some of my thoughts on how you could do that.

First, I would say that the score of a review should be hidden from the users. I think giving an explicit score is likely to encourage people to attempt to exploit it. The largest contribution to the score should obviously be from the ratings of other users (thumbs up/down, recommended/not recommended or what other scheme you end up using). Another chunk should be based on the content of the review. If the review is relatively short, then it probably shouldn't get a high score. If the review is one large block of text with no paragraphs, if it has no capital letters (or all capital letters), run-on sentences or lots of slang words and abreviations (lol, rulez, da bomb, pos and so on) or mispellings then that is probably an indication that it's not a very good review.

I would also add a contribution to the score based on the user. If the user has gotten lots of negative review scores, then that should probably lower the score. If the user himself has ranked a lot of other reviews negatively (or vice-versus) then it might be an indication that he's just gaming the system and that should probably affect his score. If a small group of people seem to rank reviews amongst themselve positively or outside the group negatively, that could be an indication of a group trying to exploit the system and that could hurt the score.

And perhaps the user's Gamespot score could add a small piece. A long time or active user might get a slightly higher score. A user with a significant moderation history might get a lower score. I'm not sure about including the number of reviews written though as I wouldn't want to hide users who write few reviews but write really good ones when they do.

And perhaps the negatives I mentioned above get capped so that your past doesn't necessarily destroy anything new you may write, but it at least prevents it from getting a top score and the negatives could fade out over time.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

I have another suggestion: Could we possibly see an increase on the character count for the review deck? The current maximum of 120 characters is fine and all but it is a tad restricting, I find. If it could be upped to, say, 150 or so (180 tops, maybe?) it would make writing up the deck easier.

c_rake
I could agree to this, but only if the review icons on the boards now get enlarged, as I already find them too restricted in their current form to read a description well when it's long.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#100 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]Well, one way to make sure there wouldn't be any flame wars would be to somehow tie-in the feedback with the Top 100/500 emblem, meaning only those who have the emblems (plus mods & staff) could post feedback.:Pc_rake

Do many of us who hold the top reviewers emblem often go through reading other player reviews, though? Because if not, then that's kinda of a waste. Such an ability may encourage some to do so, granted, but still. Seems like something that should be open to everyone.

I do periodically comb through player reviews on the games that I own, or the ones I'm interested in buying. For example, I read quite a few reviews prior to buying Dead Space recently.

And I have to admit that Kevin Van Ord's reviews (and some of the members' reviews) have helped me to keep me from making a bad purchase decision.

I'm somewhat leery of having a feedback area open to all, as they could easily become another System Wars.:P

It's readily apparent in some areas, Morrowind vs. Oblivion is one. Some who prefer one over the other generally detests the other (I'm a member of the Bethesda Forum, so I see it a lot).:P

Plus, I'm a PC gamer, and I don't see any purpose to a person gaming on another platform commenting on a PC review (or vice versa). Thus, a platform restriction plus owning the game should be tied into any feedback.