This topic is locked from further discussion.

dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts

I don't see anything like what you're talking about.

Google suggests it's a Firefox and Chrome extension that just shows you a map based on a search of what you've selected, and wouldn't necessarily be the user's location.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

Okay so i wasnt sure if i should post this on technical forum or site enhancement.Pls feel free to move this to appropriate forum

Im seeing this thing "quickmaps" whenever i go over a gs users emblem (located near their level and post count ) and a map pops up of their location.

why is this enabled? is there any reason why there is a need for a persons location be ever publicly advertised? is this a google or a browser issue? why is this even on gamespot?is everyones profile enabled or just ones signed on to gmail or other google accounts?

i have a real big issue as it rosses privacy lines and it could lead to further trouble for users. it just takes one person to get stalked and harrassed for this to become a bigger issue. pls address this with answers and possible solutions.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jsmoke03

I don't see anything like what you're talking about.

Google suggests it's a Firefox and Chrome extension that just shows you a map based on a search of what you've selected, and wouldn't necessarily be the user's location.

dab198
thats good to know that it doesn't disclose actual user locations. i was wondering if this is provided for every website or is it that gs allowed this to be implemented on their site for some reason. gs is the only site that ive encountered using this. still don't like it but at least it isn't divulging private info
JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts
We'd prefer not to share your location publicly or I'd have you share a screenshot in this forum. Would you send us a screenshot of what you're encountering to community@gamespot.com?
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jsmoke03
We'd prefer not to share your location publicly or I'd have you share a screenshot in this forum. Would you send us a screenshot of what you're encountering to community@gamespot.com? JodyR
im not sure if its their actual location or if its just A LOCATION. i actually don't know how to screencap to even show you lol
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Ah so THAT'S why I got that "mads.gamespot is trying to track your physical location" a while ago then!