Potential Phishing Attempt I Thought You Should Know About

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-58270bc086e0d
deactivated-58270bc086e0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-58270bc086e0d
Member since 2006 • 2317 Posts

I just got an email with GameSpot registration on it, with a hyperlink.

I've only go one account on any Gamespot and it is this one and I've had it for years. Never made any attempts to make any more.

The email was plain text, no HTML or images.

Overall seemed very shady. If this is a legit email, I figure a GameSpot member of staff or moderator whatever should let us know.

Otherwise avoid like the plague, unless you want some fat guy in his mom's basement having access to your Gamespot account.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ba12744328c
deactivated-59ba12744328c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-59ba12744328c
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Um..yeah...I made the mistake of clicking the verification link. Hey, it happens alright! :P

It didn't sign me into my Gamespot account, it just took me to the Gamespot homepage. When I tried signing in, the server wouldn't allow my credentials. I get a notification stating a problem with the sign-in. Also, when you request an email for resetting your password or for a re-verification link, the server can't find your e-mail and says that the e-mail isn't registered. I should have marked the e-mail as spam, seeing as how I didn't request it, but I figured it was Gamespot's initiative of dealing with the infamous Heartbleed (or whatever) bug. Little did I reason at the time that it would be a product of the Heartbleed bug. I made a new e-mail just to sign up for a Gamespot account exclusively to post this.

Tl;dr Don't click on it.

benyig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 benyig
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

@Dannystaples14 said:

I just got an email with GameSpot registration on it, with a hyperlink.

I've only go one account on any Gamespot and it is this one and I've had it for years. Never made any attempts to make any more.

The email was plain text, no HTML or images.

Overall seemed very shady. If this is a legit email, I figure a GameSpot member of staff or moderator whatever should let us know.

Otherwise avoid like the plague, unless you want some fat guy in his mom's basement having access to your Gamespot account.

The same happened to me, except now I've got two other emails on top of that, about newsletter selection and stuff. So far, they seem genuine which is all the more confusing. It would be nice to have a staff member looking into this.