Please sort out your ads

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarkLight748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DarkLight748
Member since 2012 • 83 Posts

The ads on this site is becoming a real issue, I will leave a tab open and then suddenly after a few hours a audio ad will start playing. Or I will load up a video and a music ad will almost blow my speakers. And today one of those page take over ads appeared, that rendered all links disabled after I have closed it.

Gamespot is cool, but this is starting to become an issue, if nothing it done I will eventually get tried and go to the terribly designed site that is IGN or something.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

I feel your pain,kid. You may want to install adblock+ to stop all these with no hassle. Confidentially and professionally free.

DarkLight748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DarkLight748

@Smashbrossive50:

Yeah I will be forced to, I am more then happy to have non intrusive ads, but GameSpot has really punched me over the edge.

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Smashbrossive50

Don't mind the ads,as long as adblock+ is on your side,nothing will bypass it(get my point..all pop-up ads are scared of this beast)..truth to be told is that I've used this since I first signed up and never a single ad came to me up to this day and so on.

Another try is you know third party ads right? there is an alternate solution to make them go away,the step is right click and click the image info,there's an option to block the image from the third(turd) party{do not mistake this over the main's because if blocked,it's bye bye}

Avatar image for deactivated-58a78a043e9d4
deactivated-58a78a043e9d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 deactivated-58a78a043e9d4
Member since 2005 • 2269 Posts

I had something similar with the new SMODs video. I sat through the advert, the video started to play, a full page advert loaded over the top of the page that I couldn't close without clicking on it, which opened the damn ad's website.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#6  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

@pongley: There shouldn't be any full page ads as far as I'm aware - a screenshot or similar would be great so that removal can be requested from the ad provider. I suspect video/audio ads should appear before videos but nowhere else on the site too. You'd have to check with the relevant staff member to get a definite policy, but intrusive ads generally just encourage ad block usage and damage the user experience for those that don't use such add-ons, so I can't imagine they'd be allowing them intentionally.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#7 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

Sorry to hear that you're getting take over ads. In the future, if you could provide a link to the page you were on when it happened and a screen shot of the ad in question I can file a report and have it taken down. Thanks!

DarkLight748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarkLight748

Still happening, here is a screenshot from the homepage. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19573402/Take%20over%20ad.png

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@DarkLight748: Thanks.

Vodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vodoo
Member since 2003 • 3691 Posts

@DarkLight748: I get an add for every article I try to read. But that CoD ad looks like you gotta resize your page or make the text smaller so it won't block the skip button. It also might be completely unrelated to Gamespot, like a virus. Run Adaware to see what's going on.

DarkLight748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DarkLight748

@DigitalDame: It's still happening,

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19573402/ad.png

Even on this page, https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19573402/ad2.png

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

The elder scrolls online add keeps popping up for me. It actually does scroll out too and take up top half of the page once its fully open.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

Sorry. These are coming from a sleazy scumbag ad networks in the UK. There seems to be a lot of them that get through. We're working on keeping them out but they're persistent buggers. Please let us know when you see this kind of crap since we don't see it in here in the home office in San Francisco.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I get like 3 to 4 audio ads playing at the same time creating a cacophony of voices talking about products that I'm not going to buy. This happens extremely frequently.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@skipper847: @Minishdriveby: @Vodoo: @pongley: @Smashbrossive50: @DarkLight748: Check out Adblock Plus guys on Google. You can get it from Google Store or through Google search engine. I would use AdBlock on Gamespot in the time being. If their standards are this low on allowing these sleazy scumbag ad networks to advertise on their site then its just not safe to browse. You can easily get viruses from this lack of quality assurance. Godspeed my friends, may the good times roll.

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Smashbrossive50

@iandizion713: I don't think it's all google,I installed it via FF's add-on store for free,and look up Adblock+,now my browser's all safe and sound(I installed it on all of the house's laptops just in case)