How do I stop videos auto-playing on news that I didn't even click on?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ultramarinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ultramarinus
Member since 2002 • 1147 Posts

So this last week, whenever I click a news story, a video keep playing on "the next news story" even though I didn't even scroll down! I don't have unlimited net connection and need to stop this. In fact, I don't want videos auto-playing even if I selected that news story. How can I prevent that?

larkanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By larkanderson
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

@Ultramarinus: Sorry about this! There was a bug that caused videos on articles not yet being read to play, but it's been fixed and this should go out in the next day or so.

Ultramarinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Ultramarinus
Member since 2002 • 1147 Posts

Good to hear about that, thanks for informing.

capocrimeboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 capocrimeboss
Member since 2014 • 340 Posts

What about videos autoplaying on articles that ARE being read? Is there an option to disable that? It's bloody annoying!

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

@capocrimeboss: My general feeling is that most news feeds out there on a lot of sites, they have the videos set to auto-play because most of the people in today's world can't comprehend what they are reading or are too easily bored when trying to read words. So they auto run the video file tied to the story to keep the user engaged.

I can read and I don't want to watch videos when I'm checking up on news. Keep that damn auto-play turned off and let the reader decide if they want to watch it or not.

silentmobius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 silentmobius
Member since 2003 • 1034 Posts

@neatfeatguy: I actually believe that sites does this so that they can force video ads down your throat. That way, whether you click on a video or not it still counts towards ad revenue.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#7 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

@silentmobius: Indeed. I had tried very hard to try to isolate the scripts which lead to this last year, but I gave up after I have come to believe that the ad-playing code are worked into the very scripts which stream the actual video that I want to watch. I just couldn't watch videos without watching the ads as well.

Really, I recommend just giving up on the videos in the site itself. GameSpot has a YouTube channel, and it is easier to rip its videos from that.

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 bfa1509
Member since 2011 • 1058 Posts
@Ultramarinus said:

So this last week, whenever I click a news story, a video keep playing on "the next news story" even though I didn't even scroll down! I don't have unlimited net connection and need to stop this. In fact, I don't want videos auto-playing even if I selected that news story. How can I prevent that?

I find Alt-F4 works quite well. I've been using it a lot on Gamespot lately, especially with all the Dark Souls 3 spoilers and non gaming related click bait articles.