Gamespot should have a religion board

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

I speak for the majority of people on the Off-Topic board. Religion/God/Jesus/Creation/Evolution topics are very common on the Off-Topic board,and I think a seperate board for these discussions would help because alot of people are complaing. I know we have unions for these discussions,but some people don't go to Unions and/or they prefer not to join them because of fear of their PM box getting spammed. A board for religious discussions would allow everyone to join in a discussion freely.

skylerpwns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 skylerpwns
Member since 2005 • 627 Posts
This is a video game website. Having an off-topic board is enough.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
This is a video game website. Having an off-topic board is enough.skylerpwns
Amen ;)
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dariency

There are boards that have nothing to do with video games in the forum directory: Welcome Newbies,Ask the Mods,General Hardware,General Discussion,and Gamespot Union recruitment. These boards aren't really necessary,but they are there because they help the community and keep it organized. Many people agree that having a seperate board for religious discussions will be better.

Gamespot may not be a religious website,but that doesn't mean that we can't add a religious board. It's a popular topic and many people want it out of off-topic because it clutters the board.

skylerpwns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 skylerpwns
Member since 2005 • 627 Posts
There are boards that have nothing to do with video games in the forum directory: Welcome Newbies,Ask the Mods,General Hardware,General Discussion,and Gamespot Union recruitment. These boards aren't really necessary,but they are there because they help the community and keep it organized.dog64

Those boards, aside from General Discussion, are there because they deal with either the GameSpot website or gaming in general. General Discussion is almost mandatory for any forum.

Gamespot may not be a religious website,but that doesn't mean that we can't add a religious board. It's a popular topic and many people want it out of off-topic because it clutters the board.dog64

I could use the same reasoning for any topic. Why don't we have a music subforum? What about movies? This is a website about video games. Anything not directly relating to this website or video games belongs in either General Discussion or Off-Topic Discussion. Those boards are there for a reason. Alternatively, you can have someone create a userboard pertaining to religion.
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts
You could always become a paid subscriber and make a UCB of your own and advertise in your sig for it, or create a Union and then invite users to become members and there are also already Unions for this kind of thing so you could always post a link to them either in your blog or sig and hope to direct some of the traffic away from Off-Topic. Or you could do what I simply do and just ignore them and just post in/participate in threads that you have an interest in:)
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts

My thoughts exactly. This idea comes up from time to time and its just not sensible because we don't need one. There are unions for religious discussion so just find them and talk about it there.

Ryo_Kensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 Ryo_Kensen
Member since 2005 • 3480 Posts
A Religion forum would turn into one big hellhole (no pun intended) of arguments and flamming.
yian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 yian
Member since 2003 • 5166 Posts
I don't think Gamespot should stop the formation of any boards simply because it is a video game related website, which is why Gamespot allows people to create User-created boards and unions. I would suggest you create a religion board with your user account or form an union. As the main section of Gamespot forum, I don't think it is necessary to give religion special attention.
cmhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cmhawk
Member since 2003 • 16494 Posts
this site is 4 gaming not religions. if u wanna talk bout religion then im sure there r sum unions 4 that - or even make ur own union 4 it. or even find a religious site that has a forum. plus there r many different religions - so a board 4 religions wud most likely cause lots of insulting and flaming etc.
mariomaniac92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mariomaniac92
Member since 2006 • 5482 Posts
Besides what other users have already mentioned, there would be way too much controversy. The mods would have to constantly be on their heels.
Avatar image for nintendo_fan675
nintendo_fan675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nintendo_fan675
Member since 2007 • 14578 Posts

I speak for the majority of people on the Off-Topic board. Religion/God/Jesus/Creation/Evolution topics are very common on the Off-Topic board,and I think a seperate board for these discussions would help because alot of people are complaing. I know we have unions for these discussions,but some people don't go to Unions and/or they prefer not to join them because of fear of their PM box getting spammed. A board for religious discussions would allow everyone to join in a discussion freely.

dog64

I think the off topic board has a lot of religion topics and thats what off topic is for
icytower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 icytower
Member since 2005 • 10643 Posts
I have to imagine there are a few religion related UCB & Unions out there.
Zeke129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 Zeke129
Member since 2003 • 11176 Posts

Better have an atheist board, too. And a carpenter's board. And an engineer's board. And a plumber's board.

This is a slippery slope. 

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dariency
I see nobody supports this idea. But with all these complaints in the off-topic board about there being to many religious topics,and complaints about too many "God vs evolution" topics,I figured I'd bring it up.
Avatar image for nintendo_fan675
nintendo_fan675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nintendo_fan675
Member since 2007 • 14578 Posts
I see nobody supports this idea. But with all these complaints in the off-topic board about there being to many religious topics,and complaints about too many "God vs evolution" topics,I figured I'd bring it up.dog64
But thats what the off topic is for
Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#17 Hiddai
Member since 2004 • 6117 Posts
Well as of now there are religious UNIONS for example i am the leader of the Jewish Union and there's also i think Chrstians Union etc etc
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I'd support a religion board, or the banning of religion threads. Theyre so annoying and repetitive...
Avatar image for michelle_moraes
michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#19 michelle_moraes
Member since 2005 • 4198 Posts
Exactly! If people want religious boards, might as well form unions or find specific ones outside Gamespot....
Wren28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wren28
Member since 2005 • 27811 Posts

I'm in at least four religious related unions...and I'm leader of one of them (The Christian Gamers Union).

If you want, create a general religious union and invite those who want to join to join. I know people think unions are only good for spam, frankly, beyond the annoying union invites once you join, that's mostly it...except for the occasional informational telegram.

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
Whilst I agree that the religion topics on OT are annoying, one look at GameFAQs' religion board tells me a religion board on GS wouldn't be a good idea. Even with a stickied topic by CJayC pointing out that people have different beliefs, the board still has trolls.
Happy_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Happy_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 4895 Posts
Aren't there already unions about religion?
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 _Sam_
Member since 2003 • 31483 Posts
there are already unions and UCBs were you can discuss this.
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dariency

there are already unions and UCBs were you can discuss this. _Sam_

I brought this up in the first post. You have to join unions which some people don't want to do. Some even require you to join UCB's by saying your name in a floated topic. A board made just for religion would bypass all this.

Anyway,like I said I can see nobody supports this idea. Feel free to close this topic,cause it isn't going anywhere.