Gamespot has really gone *downhill (edit)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Just saying. From a technical stand point, this site has really gone downhill ever since the new overhaul makeover. This used to be one of my go to sites for gaming. Now, I'd rather go elsewhere or browse your youtube channel than to visit this site.

Your video players suck ass and now your news articles and reviews don't even load properly.I've tested loads using different browsers on different computers. Maybe this site loads fine for some, but it should load properly for all.

Zakule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Zakule
Member since 2002 • 74 Posts

I think it's safe to say the majority of people who used to come to this site have moved on. I come back about once a month to see if it's been bought out yet. It's definitely going to happen at some point.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

Turn off Ad Block. Ad Block is being dumb with their latest update. It thinks our whole site is an ad and hides it. And NO this is NOT our problem.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@HipHopBeats: Sorry to hear you're having issues with our video player, unfortunately with out being more specific about the issues in question, I'm not able to replicate this issue. If you could just answer a few questions for me I'll be able to see what type of insight I can offer:

What are the Operating Systems you're using.
Are you using any plug-ins or extension, if so what are they?
Which browsers are you using (please be specific, include the specific version)?
Are you using a home network to access the internet or something like a library/university/college/business connection?

tsunami2311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By tsunami2311
Member since 2003 • 1798 Posts

The video players randomly dont work one day they work other day it does

best i could fiqure to fix that was adding exceptions to

@@||static1.gamespot.com/js/compiled/adsDeferredDfp.js?*

@@||static2.gamespot.com/js/compiled/adsDeferredDfp.js?*

@@||static3.gamespot.com/js/compiled/adsDeferredDfp.js?*

@@||static4.gamespot.com/js/compiled/adsDeferredDfp.js?*

and video play some times has no option to video quality.

gamespot been mess keep randomly breaking alot since the website new ui setup most the time i come here i spend more time trying to get video play to work the page to work correct then actual reading things which getting to the point i gona switch back to IGN. And no i am not disabling ABP/Ublock etc this place loads slow as its with the ad being blocked with thall the ads it even slower.

IGN use to super slow loading in comparison to gamespot currently and that was with ads block now IGN is twice as fast loading as gamespot and that is with ads block and videos that work. and i have 120mbit

FF,Chrome all same issue when Ad blocks are use, and use are crazy if you think people are gone surf the net with out adblockers in this day in how how bout we just stop embedding ad scripts in to videos which what breaks the videos in first place

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@HipHopBeats@DigitalDame@edgework

I was also having issues with this site. I tested a few occasions and this site always triggered the issue. I'm using the latest version of Firefox.

One test I did was open up a bunch of different tabs just to see if my browser would slow down and have issues but it never did, then I exited all the extra tabs I opened and opened up one tab with Gamespot and it instantly slowed the browser to a halt and I would constantly get an error saying a Plugin Container has stopped working then my Browser would force close and I'd have to restart it. I don't really mind ads being on the side and out of the way (as long as they don't autoplay sound - which is one issue I had with the ones on this site).

This was before I installed Adblock Plus Add-on. Now that I just installed adblock 5 minutes ago, and blocked the ads on this site, Gamespot is running just fine. There is an issue with the Ads on this site that is causing my browser (and I'm sure many others) to malfunction. I have no issues with ads affecting my browser on any other site. You can check the players that the ads.

Hope this helps

SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts

@edgework said:

Turn off Ad Block. Ad Block is being dumb with their latest update. It thinks our whole site is an ad and hides it. And NO this is NOT our problem.

Well maybe if you didn't have ads that take up the entire background of your site these people maybe wouldn't use Ad Block.. Can you not be more tasteful with your ads at least? I know you want to make money so you shove these rather intrusive ads in peoples faces, but if you're gonna piss on us at least have the decency of calling it rain : )

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

@SgtSilock: Those are called skins and we don't like them either. We don't like most ads and we're probably the group that complains the loudest about them within CBS. We've looked into various ways to have subscription services that get rid of ads but none have worked for GameSpot.

...and the skins aren't the reason Ad Block thinks the whole site is an ad. Its because of a really dumb set of ad block definitions that went out recently.

SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts

@edgework said:

@SgtSilock: Those are called skins and we don't like them either. We don't like most ads and we're probably the group that complains the loudest about them within CBS. We've looked into various ways to have subscription services that get rid of ads but none have worked for GameSpot.

...and the skins aren't the reason Ad Block thinks the whole site is an ad. Its because of a really dumb set of ad block definitions that went out recently.

Well at least you're transparent about it, always helps.

Be good when you do eventually find a way for subscriptions to work.

dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts

@edgework: It is a shame that GS Complete (etc) was canned, as I'd been a subscriber for years. As soon as that ended, that's when I added a load of ad networks to my restricted sites list. I'd still think that getting some income from a subscription would be better than getting no income as a result of people blocking the ads instead, unless I'm misunderstanding things.

I do subscribe to giantbomb, so I get to avoid ads there anyway. The premium content there is just a bonus.

tsunami2311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 tsunami2311
Member since 2003 • 1798 Posts

Tell people use not us ablock isnt gona happen or realistic of gamespot to tell people to do that, that being said it not ablock the issue its subscriptions used. for most part is it easylist causing it lately and bet fix i could find is

ABP/uBlock or what ever you use add the bellow into exceptions

@@||gamespot.com/js/compiled/adsDeferredDfp.js?

The above is AD script, and for stupid reason gamespot has there videos and other part of the site intergrated into it so when it block it breaks the site, simple solution stop integrated ads into the site that it breaks if there blocked

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@dab198: I also miss this. It's not that it's totally off the table, we're just working to make sure that it's not a half-baked package.