Games database search

This topic is locked from further discussion.

duke_bitterman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By duke_bitterman
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Search operators do not work properly when I search games: if I type in 2 genres for filtering then the search is not narrowed down with AND operator but rather finds games of both genres. Example: I want to find First Person Shooters, then I have to type in genre First Person and then genre Shooter (there is no such genre as first person shooter (?!)). The result is that I get all first person games (regardless of anything else) and all shooters (including third person view and everything).

Can GS team fix the search? Or even better, fix the search and let us choose genres from a list?

evertroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By evertroy

Yeah, genre is very important. I really don't know how that got overlooked.

I think the site owners think people only come here for news about, well, new things. Truth is, a lot of people come here for information about old games. There are plenty of OTHER news blogs we can go read, but we want a rock solid archive of new AND old games that is easy to navigate. The old search features were really what drew me to this site so many years ago, and I have returned here and only here for information about old games. From now on I will probably only come back here to see if you guys fixed the site... which Im sure is not going to happen.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#3 rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

@duke_bitterman said:

Search operators do not work properly when I search games: if I type in 2 genres for filtering then the search is not narrowed down with AND operator but rather finds games of both genres. Example: I want to find First Person Shooters, then I have to type in genre First Person and then genre Shooter (there is no such genre as first person shooter (?!)). The result is that I get all first person games (regardless of anything else) and all shooters (including third person view and everything).

Can GS team fix the search? Or even better, fix the search and let us choose genres from a list?

Its going to get fixed. Some of these searches can be very slow and reduce overall response time for everyone. We need to optimize them. This is a new machine and we're tuning it, something that cannot be done with internal testing or in a small limited beta. Every site you use was it a 'beta' state for a period of time. Be patient. Thoughtful feedback like this does make an impact. Take note of User Reviews now and after Monday. Unions are coming very soon. Some devs were talking about the game page today and feel the same way you do about it. It will get better.

duke_bitterman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4  Edited By duke_bitterman

@edgework:

OK, I am glad to hear that! Would be great if the list of genres would be back too.