This topic is locked from further discussion.

dvs98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dvs98
Member since 2006 • 341 Posts
 I think the locked posts should be deleted instead of sitting there and making the list longer.
Zeke129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 Zeke129
Member since 2003 • 11176 Posts
If they're deleted, then they can't be searched. Plus - they're not in the way for very long. They get bumped down pretty fast.
Avatar image for deactivated-597cfe125fbc6
deactivated-597cfe125fbc6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-597cfe125fbc6
Member since 2006 • 1988 Posts
Locked Threads can be unlocked but deleted threads are gone forever.  Everyonce in a while mods make a mistake by locking a thread so I don't think deleting would be the right thing to do.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#4 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
they do tend to get deleted eventually as well...but not until a long time after they've drifted right down to the bottom...it's better how it is imo, as it means threads with useful information can be brought back up or referred to at a later date...also many threads are locked&stickied remember, so that ppl can't post in reply but they can still read them...such threads obviously shouldn't be deleted...
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
they do tend to get deleted eventually as well...but not until a long time after they've drifted right down to the bottom...it's better how it is imo, as it means threads with useful information can be brought back up or referred to at a later date...also many threads are locked&stickied remember, so that ppl can't post in reply but they can still read them...such threads obviously shouldn't be deleted...robbristow
They use to be deleted after a certain period of inactivity. Since the re-design they do not get deleted by the system.
Teivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Teivan
Member since 2005 • 1967 Posts
They use to be deleted after a certain period of inactivity. Since the re-design they do not get deleted by the system.LTomlinson21
I do have this on my 'to-do' list. Hopefully get to it sooner rather than later. ;)
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
[QUOTE="LTomlinson21"]They use to be deleted after a certain period of inactivity. Since the re-design they do not get deleted by the system.Teivan
I do have this on my 'to-do' list. Hopefully get to it sooner rather than later. ;)

No, dont make that happen :( I like to look back at what topics were made long ago :| Mabey if the fourm has over a million posts or somthing but plesa dont make them all die, that is part of the reson I came here and left GF, topics dont auto die or Auto lock.
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 _Sam_
Member since 2003 • 31483 Posts
[QUOTE="LTomlinson21"]They use to be deleted after a certain period of inactivity. Since the re-design they do not get deleted by the system.Teivan

so the purge system is coming back? I hope so. at least have old threads not show up in the search results
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fastesttruck
Wiat you mean just not show up in the search results? or do you mean a full blown, kill everything purge like GF has.
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts

I'd rather this not come back. I always like to see old topics for various reasons. What would be the main purpose of it, might I ask?
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
Unless there's a severe problem with server space, I don't want to see old topics get deleted. Old topics (I'll use unions as an example) provide a good history of the specific forum, and are fun to go back to and re-live. Also, if there is a severe problem with server space than the first thing to go should be dead/spammy unions.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

NOO!!! The purge coming back would be a terrible thing, unless it was a 2 year purge for the main boards or something like that. :(
dvs98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dvs98
Member since 2006 • 341 Posts
 It seems like i always get irrelevant crap when i search.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
It seems like i always get irrelevant crap when i search.dvs98
That's more of an issue with the search engine, not the unpurged threads in the boards.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fastesttruck
MAILER_DAEMON, Im with you this time. If a topic only stays for a few weeks after no one posts in it, think of all the bad posts that would go un marked? and all the Info would be lost in the topic. I see this all the time in GF, people spam more to keep thier topic from diying. and if there is no room on server space then maybe just make this happen for big fourms like SW and Off topic. Dont do this to AtM or WN and other boards that help people with the site.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#16 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
Unless there's a severe problem with server space, I don't want to see old topics get deleted. Old topics (I'll use unions as an example) provide a good history of the specific forum, and are fun to go back to and re-live. Also, if there is a severe problem with server space than the first thing to go should be dead/spammy unions.OhhSnap50893
indeed...especially in unions and to a lesser extent UCBs quite alot of old threads are used for providing information and generally a history for the union...there's no reason for them to go really...if more server space is needed there's other things that can be done...such as getting rid of all those dead unions...clearing out threads that were removed from public viewing and are still on the server...and of course clearing out some of the old main board threads i guess...but certainly don't purge threads in other plcaes such as unions, UCBs and WN...they tend to be of use at some point sooner or later...
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _Sam_
Member since 2003 • 31483 Posts

Unless there's a severe problem with server space, I don't want to see old topics get deleted. Old topics (I'll use unions as an example) provide a good history of the specific forum, and are fun to go back to and re-live. Also, if there is a severe problem with server space than the first thing to go should be dead/spammy unions.OhhSnap50893

before the redesign, only the main forums were included in the purge system. Old Union and UCB posts were never deleted