BUG: Your HTML is not well-formed

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

amozarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#51 amozarte
Member since 2008 • 1536 Posts
I am definitely still having this issue. It happens with Firefox, but not IE7. Happens about 1 out of every 3 posts. Doesn't seem to matter what I type, meaning even simple posts of a few words of text only still result in the error.
fbigent34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 fbigent34
Member since 2007 • 2389 Posts
I have the problem using it with interent explore so far.. i am using firefox.. and the only thing that annoys me is i cant copy and paste like in the other ones :P but i got to change it somehow.
megagood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 megagood
Member since 2008 • 429 Posts
I jumped the gun a bit on the fix going out - it's out now, though - if you still come across it, please let me know browser, OS, and if you are using quick or regular reply, or "new message." Thanks.
ChadFromCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ChadFromCanada
Member since 2004 • 327 Posts

Using Firefox, and trying to post a topic.

I found out from the html editor that it was because I was trying to use a u umlaut for Bayern Munchen and it didn't want me to. I just used a normal u and it let me post.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#55 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

Using Firefox, and trying to post a topic.

I found out from the html editor that it was because I was trying to use a u umlaut for Bayern Munchen and it didn't want me to. I just used a normal u and it let me post.

ChadFromCanada
it seems the editor dislikes most unicode characters aside from the standard latin alphabet/numbers atm, using the html equivalent allows you to use them, but of course very few people are willing to type out a 3-6 (usually 5/6) character code just to insert a single letter or symbol
gaclough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 gaclough
Member since 2005 • 214 Posts

[QUOTE="Qixote"]Ah, my last reply worked. . in IE only. I think the problem is that your new software is not Firefox friendly. I first typed the same reply above using my normal Firefox browser and it kept giving me the error. I copy and pasted the same message into IE and it posted.Dracula68

I ONLY use Firefox and never have that problem though so that can't be it.

I only use Firefox and get this issue often
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
[QUOTE="Dracula68"]

[QUOTE="Qixote"]Ah, my last reply worked. . in IE only. I think the problem is that your new software is not Firefox friendly. I first typed the same reply above using my normal Firefox browser and it kept giving me the error. I copy and pasted the same message into IE and it posted.gaclough

Maybe it is your add-ons then? You may want to try uninstalling them one by one to see if one or more is causing the problem. Also are you using the latest version of 3?
gaclough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 gaclough
[QUOTE="gaclough"][QUOTE="Dracula68"]

Dracula68

Maybe it is your add-ons then? You may want to try uninstalling them one by one to see if one or more is causing the problem. Also are you using the latest version of 3?

Yeah, I'm using three.... version 3.0.4 to be exact. I don't have any add ons either. Oh well, most of the time its not too bad, especially of late. Last month it was shocking. Figures... the problem crept up again for this post.... crappy
Colmillios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Colmillios
Member since 2006 • 37865 Posts
I have been getting the HTML as well, but my problem is that I can not update my homepage of my Naruto Union. I am just trying to change one link of a picture and it gives me the error. Which it has never done before. :? And if this needs to be said I use Firefox as well.
MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 MsCortana
Member since 2007 • 10565 Posts
I'm still getting them but only in my union forum and only when I double space between sentences. I'm using firefox and I always hit the new message button.
gaclough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 gaclough
I'm still getting them but only in my union forum and only when I double space between sentences. I'm using firefox and I always hit the new message button.MsCortana
Yeah I think double spacing has something to do about the error ......
amozarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 amozarte

Yup. Double spacing. I got the error again last night, went back and removed the double space after the period and voila! It allowed what was otherwise the same post to go through.

Windows Vista

Firefox 3.0.4

fbigent34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 fbigent34

Errors: - Your HTML is not well-formed - please check for unclosed tags. I started to get it again ... and interent explore ssytem wars and i took out my space and it still wont let me post.

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
I'm getting this error trying to edit a blog post. Firefox 3.0.5 XP SP3 PS: this post posted with quick reply
Amir29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#65 Amir29
Member since 2007 • 822 Posts
I get the same issue with both Firefox and Internet Explorer. Also, it takes forever for the screen to populate to write a message in any forum topic. It's been a long while running now. I hope SOMEONE, ANYONE gets around to fixing this.
Amir29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#66 Amir29
Member since 2007 • 822 Posts

Sorry MegaGood, didn't see your post. If I hit "reply" it takes forever to populate. In this case, it didn't quote you AT ALL. Also, still getting that error.

Windows XP SP2(at work) and SP3(at home)... Both Firefox and internet explorer have the same issues. Quick reply doesn't have delay issue, but anything with quoted text and reg reply is heavily delayed and produces this HTML error.

Misfit119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#67 Misfit119
Member since 2004 • 418 Posts

Yeah I'm getting this in my blog, using Internet Explorer, and nothing seems to help me get around it. I've tried posting a blog for the past two days no less than 13 times and it refuses to go through no matter what I try. It's getting to the point where posting to other websites and simply linking (which seems to work oddly enough) is what I'm going to need to do.

Edit: Posting in firefox seems to allow me to bypass now that I've installed it. But I still can't even edit it in IE.

fbigent34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 fbigent34
Errors: - Your HTML is not well-formed - please check for unclosed tags. i keep getting this with internent explore 6-7 i been getting it in off topic , system wars, etc...
hart704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 hart704
Member since 2004 • 2994 Posts
I've found this to be a problem as well. Posting blogs on another linked site like TV.com helps.
PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
Hmm no one seems to check the threads in this forum... If you're getting the error message try this solution: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26745626&tag=topics;title
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
This is out of hand. - If someone has modified their post in any way (bold, italics, font color, etc.) then I need to remove all of that before I can quote them. - I can not use bold, italic, or underscore tags at all. If I try I just get the error.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#72 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
When I post on my blog, and I try to use images or links, it too gives me the error. Please help!!!!!
amozarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 amozarte
Still having this issue and several others. There are so many problems with the new editor that firefox and chrome are unusable with the site now.
fbigent34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 fbigent34
Man i love how the mods can warn you about ingoring a sticky thread. but they dont even look into it. BS enough is enough
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#75 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
It keeps happening to me. Its usually because of the p tags. Sometimes I have to go through a post and count them to make sure the number of /p and match. Usually, they don't.
BadassZetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 BadassZetta
Member since 2009 • 557 Posts

Edit: Well, I feel silly. Apparently the WYSIWYG editor is fixing up the &nb­sp; characters now. ;;>__>

Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#77 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts
This tends to happen when using the "Quick" features. The best way to solve this is to just copy what you've written, go into the Reply or Quote pages then paste. When Quoting, leave a large amount of space between the end of the quote and your post.
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
it does it when i use the quick quote.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
Man i love how the mods can warn you about ingoring a sticky thread. but they dont even look into it. BS enough is enoughfbigent34
What do you want Moderators to do exactly? They have nothing to do with fixing anything on the site. That was me by the way that moderated you. You really need to read posts on forums before just making a thread of your own. That useless thread you make knocks legit threads down the forum page.
megagood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 megagood
Member since 2008 • 429 Posts
Hey all - sorry you are having issues - we're actively working on improving the editor. Promise.
VigoSOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#82 VigoSOC
Member since 2005 • 3880 Posts
I'm having this HTML is not well-formed now too, even though I'm not using any HTML and no quotes etc... It happens in my Spore Union forum posts and if I try and send out a telegram. Aside from this, the site has gotten really slow and buggy since you did the update. I would recommend going back to the way things were before the update as you are going to lose a lot of your customers out of frustration.
VigoSOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#83 VigoSOC
Member since 2005 • 3880 Posts

Hey all - sorry you are having issues - we're actively working on improving the editor. Promise. megagood

I'm having this HTML is not well-formed now too, even though I'm not using any HTML and no quotes etc... It happens in my Spore Union forum posts and if I try and send out a telegram. Aside from this, the site has gotten really slow and buggy since you did the update. I would recommend going back to the way things were before the update as you are going to lose a lot of your customers out of frustration.

PS I just got the error here and the only way my submissions work is if I quote someone.

puablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#84 puablo
Member since 2002 • 1017 Posts
Every time I quote an existing post, it says my HTML is not well formed. Then I can click Submit again on the new page, and it works, without changing anything. So clearly there is a bug in quoting, but it gets fixed after the error is thrown.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
I keep getting this bug recently. Whenever I quote someone, they have a million tags in their post and it gives me the error and I have to go back and edit the quote to erase the tags. It is very annoying.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I've been trying to post a certain message for almost two months already but every time I get the HTML error. I'm using the latest version of Firefox. EDIT: It worked with Opera.
Macgyver40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Macgyver40
Member since 2006 • 13159 Posts

Hello gs admins,

I have been trying to change my sig for a couple of days now and i get this Error message:

Invalid url. Url must start with http or https.

Your Html is not well formed- please check for unclosed tags

Then i tried to just remove one of my sig images and i get the first part of this message. Bottom line is I'm unable to add or subtract to my sig without getting one or both of these error messages. I thought it was just me having issues but i can from this thread size so are others. Thank you for your time in this matter i will look forward to not having this bug.:D

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Try disabling the WYSIWYG editor from your preferences and use basic BB code (img tags) to change your signature. You'll also see what kind of HTML mess the WYSIWYG editor creates.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#89 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
The Invalid URL error is a new one, and actually blocks some valid URLs (such as URLs (anchor tags - a) with a src attribute value starting with / i.e., src="/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26674638" - this thread, given that the link is clicked from any GS subdomain (us/uk/au.gamespot.com, etc., - which can be assumed to always be the case seen as the editor only posts to the GS subdomains..and even people viewing the site through google and the like would have no more problems with the links than they'd have with more strictly defined URL links) though aside from that it doesn't seem to buggy.. Basically just checking all your links and making sure they are fully defined, including the protocol (http:// or https://), should get you past that error, though quite frankly I find it a rather unnecessary and more than anything just an irritating error, as I almost always use partially defined links when linking to other pages on GS, as it means I can stay on the same subdomain when using such links (the link changes to suit my current subdomain - as well as for anyone else viewing the link), rather than being forced to the one defined by the link (putting me on the wrong subdomain), or to my local one (link defined as http://www.gamespot.com/ - results in being directed to the www site and then redirected to the local (uk for me) site, increasing load time))
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

Hey guys. I am having this issue as well. It seems to stop me from posting any colours or different sized text than the default ones, it won't let me quote or post a picture, and it won't let me double quote in one post.

I can't post with uncommon signs either, like currency signs.

Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts
I get the error in everything. Forum posts, articles, and even PM's! Sometimes I can click the post button a couple times and it'll go thru. Using 3.0.6.
Devour2Survive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Devour2Survive
Member since 2008 • 782 Posts
You guys aren't gonna fix this anytime soon huh?
BadassZetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 BadassZetta
Member since 2009 • 557 Posts
They've been trying to fix it for a while now, and actually have already fixed a few causes, but new stuff keeps managing to pop up. xd
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
I've been having this problem for quite while too now... even when i try and post a blog it happens sometimes... I'm doing nothing different than i was before GS changed.. (using Firefox 3.06)
ZeroGravX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 ZeroGravX
Member since 2005 • 1296 Posts

For anyone who has posted in this thread, or is about to post in this thread, I suggest you review this topic and try it out:WYSIWYG Upgrade

Alex_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Alex_09
Member since 2006 • 3473 Posts
It's a minor bug as far as I can see, I simply re click submit and it becomes "well formed".
ZeroGravX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 ZeroGravX
Member since 2005 • 1296 Posts

It's a minor bug as far as I can see, I simply re click submit and it becomes "well formed".Alex_09

It only works the second time because it strips out the non-well formed HTML. So if it didn't like how you where using the font tag to add color to your font then it would strip out the color.

Zorack2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Zorack2005
Member since 2005 • 152 Posts
I just had this problem a few seconds ago and no matter what I did in firefox it just wouldn't work. But once I tried submitting a reply through IE it worked.