Any Project to Replace Volunteer Moderators with Bots (e.g. Moobot and Supybot)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#1 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

May I inquire whether there is any consideration by GameSpot's management (or CBS Interactive) to replace the volunteer-run moderation system with software scripts?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#2 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Why would you suggest such a horrible idea?

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Gelugon_baat

c_rake

It may solve the perennial issue of volunteer moderators not having enough time to handle reports.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

.....gsindifferent.gif

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

Gelugon_baat

It may solve the perennial issue of volunteer moderators not having enough time to handle reports.

How would such bots be able to recognize TOS violations and separate them from regular posts?:?

fullframework

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 fullframework
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Baat seems to have a problem with people not telling him what he wants to hear. Oh wait...
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 c_rakestraw  Moderator

How would such bots be able to recognize TOS violations and separate them from regular posts?:?The-Apostle

Exactly. Context is everything in moderation. Bots can't be programed to recognize such minor details.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gelugon_baat

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]How would such bots be able to recognize TOS violations and separate them from regular posts?:?c_rake

Exactly. Context is everything in moderation. Bots can't be programed to recognize such minor details.

Spoken like a self-proclaimed software expert.

That said, I can't answer that question, but I am not about to believe that it can't be done when all there is against it is not hard technical evidence but just mere skepticism.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Spoken like a self-proclaimed software expert.

That said, I can't answer that question, but I am not about to believe that it can't be done when all there is against it is not hard technical evidence but just mere skepticism.

Gelugon_baat

Spoken like someone with actual work-experience is more like it.

There's a huge amount of grey in moderation. Save for spam removal, never is something so clear cut as "X offense equals Y action." Moderation doesn't work that way. There are too many variables to consider -- variables that you can never be fully prepared for at every turn. I may be no software expert, but I know enough about the job we do to know you can't just program a bunch of AIs to account for everything. Automated moderation does no one any good, anyway. Too rigid.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gelugon_baat

There's a huge amount of grey in moderation. Save for spam removal, never is something so clear cut as "X offense equals Y action." Moderation doesn't work that way. There are too many variables to consider -- variables that you can never be fully prepared for at every turn. I may be no software expert, but I know enough about the job we do to know you can't just program a bunch of AIs to account for everything. Automated moderation does no one any good, anyway. Too rigid.c_rake

Thanks for your insight, but I was asking the question at GameSpot's management. Also, I have not asked for or mentioned anything about the scope of any might-be project.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#13 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
I'm not a mod so I can't say too much on the subject... However, Can you imagine if a glitch comes out of this modbot suggestion? I can see this going terribly wrong. I
Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gelugon_baat

However, Can you imagine if a glitch comes out of this modbot suggestion? I can see this going terribly wrong. shadowchronicle

I can. GameSpot is not given the nickname of "GlitchSpot" for nothing.

Personally, I won't fret about things going topsy-turvy because chances are, they likely will in GameSpot.

gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#15 gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

May I inquire whether there is any consideration by GameSpot's management (or CBS Interactive) to replace the volunteer-run moderation system with software scripts?

Gelugon_baat

First off I would like to make clear that GameSpot is extremely appreciative of its volunteers who actively make efforts to help maintain the integrity of a site that encounters a heavy amount of traffic.  

To address your primary inquiry; while using algorithms to determine offending user engagement (cases including but not limited to: harassment, disruptive behavior, or even spam) is possible, it is not something that we are currently interested in perusing at this time.

Thank you Gelugon_baat for taking the time to address your concerns and provide feedback for the GameSpot Community.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gelugon_baat

To address your primary inquiry; while using algorithms to determine offending user engagement (cases including but not limited to: harassment, disruptive behavior, or even spam) is possible, it is not something that we are currently interested in perusing at this time.GameSpot

Thank you for the response.