Annoying: New video automatically starting as one video ends

This topic is locked from further discussion.

acd2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 acd2
Member since 2003 • 126 Posts

I find it really annoying that a new video automatically starts playing when the one I wanted to watch finishes. And, the banner telling me about the new video gets in the way of watching the final seconds of the video I'm trying to watch. If there are people that want this auto-play feature can you at least make it optional? Maybe a setting that you can turn on or off?

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

Same here. You used to be able to turn off autoplay with the old video player but the new one doesn't seem to have that option. Pretty annoying, please fix.

ggregd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 ggregd
Member since 2003 • 850 Posts

@acd2: Agree. If you're reading comments it also yanks you away to the comments for the next video.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@ggregd: Strange, since when the video is not visible (i.e. if you're viewing comments) the countdown to the next video should automatically stop and not send you to the next video.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I'm having the same issue with not being able to turn off autoplay.

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zyxe  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 5343 Posts

I, too, dislike this as the default/unchangeable setting.

larkanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#7 larkanderson
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

Hey all, thanks for the feedback! We're working on a user setting that allows you to disable this, but in the meanwhile, you can cancel the countdown by simply clicking on the X in the right side of the banner.

Also, the countdown will only activate in the last 10 seconds of a video if any part of the video player is within view at that time--if you're simply reading comments and no part of the player is visible onscreen, the timer won't trigger and you won't be taken off of the page. If this is not the case, please let me know what browser you are using and we'll investigate, as this is a bug.

Thanks again!

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 zyxe  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 5343 Posts

Thanks!!! Very much appreciated :) I do think I've had the video switch while reading comments, but I will attempt to recreate this later and report.

acd2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 acd2
Member since 2003 • 126 Posts

It's been a while and it looks like nothing has been done about this yet. Or is a setting available that I'm not seeing?

TazmanianD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#10 TazmanianD
Member since 2002 • 1476 Posts

Yeah, this is pissing me off as well. I've now experienced three separate cases where I've scrolled down to the bottom, started typing in a comment and then had the page automatically move to the next video causing me to lose the comments I was typing! There's a comment here about adding a setting to disable this but who on earth would ever want this feature even if the original video is still visible? This seems like terrible usability and making users have to go find a setting to disable it doesn't help much.

For the record, I'm using Chrome on Windows 7 if you think this is a bug.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#11 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

For those of you who use blockers profusively, you might want to know that I have been trying to look for stuff to block to prevent the auto-play.

It appears to be worked into the Flash player object itself. I had tried to block the auto-play display, e.g. the count-down timer and such, but these are only for the display. Even if the count-down timer is blocked from appearing in the browser, there is still a count-down occurring unseen.

In other words, you can't stop the auto-play without stopping the video from streaming itself.