Annoying: New video automatically starting as one video ends

#1 Posted by acd2 (120 posts) -

I find it really annoying that a new video automatically starts playing when the one I wanted to watch finishes. And, the banner telling me about the new video gets in the way of watching the final seconds of the video I'm trying to watch. If there are people that want this auto-play feature can you at least make it optional? Maybe a setting that you can turn on or off?

#2 Posted by 23Jarek23 (2617 posts) -

Same here. You used to be able to turn off autoplay with the old video player but the new one doesn't seem to have that option. Pretty annoying, please fix.

#3 Posted by ggregd (452 posts) -

@acd2: Agree. If you're reading comments it also yanks you away to the comments for the next video.

#4 Posted by Korvus (2966 posts) -

@ggregd: Strange, since when the video is not visible (i.e. if you're viewing comments) the countdown to the next video should automatically stop and not send you to the next video.

#5 Posted by HipHopBeats (2863 posts) -

I'm having the same issue with not being able to turn off autoplay.

#6 Posted by zyxe (4652 posts) -

I, too, dislike this as the default/unchangeable setting.

#7 Posted by LarkAnderson (1698 posts) -

Hey all, thanks for the feedback! We're working on a user setting that allows you to disable this, but in the meanwhile, you can cancel the countdown by simply clicking on the X in the right side of the banner.

Also, the countdown will only activate in the last 10 seconds of a video if any part of the video player is within view at that time--if you're simply reading comments and no part of the player is visible onscreen, the timer won't trigger and you won't be taken off of the page. If this is not the case, please let me know what browser you are using and we'll investigate, as this is a bug.

Thanks again!

#8 Posted by zyxe (4652 posts) -

Thanks!!! Very much appreciated :) I do think I've had the video switch while reading comments, but I will attempt to recreate this later and report.

#9 Posted by acd2 (120 posts) -

It's been a while and it looks like nothing has been done about this yet. Or is a setting available that I'm not seeing?