300 Post Flood Protection Rule

This topic is locked from further discussion.

double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts
Myself and some other users who spend a great deal of time on GS have been having problems with the "Flood Prevention" post rule. I myself usually spend anywhere from 6 - 8 hours a day on GS. I am also active on more than one board, so I run into a poblem almost every day of the 300 post limit rule. It makes us feel like we are doing something wrong for participating in the site as much as we have. Also we can't comment on blogs, and or edit blog posts or make new ones when this limit is reached. Some of us users were going to start a petition but we went to Ask the Mods forum first and asked if we would be moderated for doing so first just to be safe and we were directed to here. We are hoping there is a way we can get this problem fixed with mutual satisfaction. Because it really is a pain for some users. For instance, I reached my 300 post limit yesterday, then I waited for the post count to re-set around 4:00 a.m. PT like it usually does when they update our levels/percents. It let me post 3 or 4 posts then started blocking me for 300 post flood protection rule:|. It didn't let me start posting again until right now...

So what would be the right way to go about either getting this rule removed, or changed? Or are we just "stuck with it" and are paid members who come here and spend vast amounts of time and are active just going to have to "deal with the situation" and "make the best of it"? Thank you for taking the time to consider my issue and take my feedback into consideration and any help you will provide in advance. Thank you:)

David (double_decker)
kolobus11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 kolobus11
Member since 2005 • 12981 Posts
Also, the 100 post rule is also very unhelpful. I like to post in Roll Call a lot. So, I always hit the 100 rule and are no longer allowed to talk to them. Why should I be penalized for participating? (Hope you don't mind David)
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 double_decker
Also, the 100 post rule is also very unhelpful. I like to post in Roll Call a lot. So, I always hit the 100 rule and are no longer allowed to talk to them. Why should I be penalized for participating? (Hope you don't mind David)kolobus11
I agree, but that one isn't as major as the 300 post rule, they make new RC's almost every day and you can always find other threads to talk in, but it's really frustrating when you can't post at all for hours at a time
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
I haven't hit the 300 post limit before, but I did encounter the 100 post limit once and it is pretty annoying. I don't think either of the rules help prevent spam so I don't think either are really neccessary.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#5 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
i used to hit that constantly, and even had a problem where at the start of a new day i couldn't post at all due to posting so much the night before...it was 10am PT before i could post at all..and even then i could only post twice before it came back up....i've since dropped my activity quite alot, and i'm not bothered by it anymore, but more than anything i think that we should have at least warning come up when we're close to the limit at least, as suddenly being unable to post can get VERY annoying...
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 double_decker
i used to hit that constantly, and even had a problem where at the start of a new day i couldn't post at all due to posting so much the night before...it was 10am PT before i could post at all..and even then i could only post twice before it came back up....i've since dropped my activity quite alot, and i'm not bothered by it anymore, but more than anything i think that we should have at least warning come up when we're close to the limit at least, as suddenly being unable to post can get VERY annoying...robbristow
I agree with alot of that and basically the same thing happened today where it let me post 3 or 4 posts and then came back up again and didn't let me post for another 5 hours, until around 2:00 p.m. ET, the only thing the rule helps to prevent is users being very active over a long period of time, like I said I spend 6 - 8 hours a day here so I run into it alot, I'm glad others feel the same as I do, and I hope they either remove the rule, raise the overall limit or keep the limit the same or have the post count reset more often than once every 20-30 hours
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
meh...i took the simple option: spend less time on here...lol, i still spend like 3-4hours on here a day really but i have more time for gaming and more important things this way at least....but yer it should be modified in some way so that it at least isn't quite so annoying...
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
I come close some days and it does not seem right to have to stop having a good time here. They should do away with this
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 double_decker
Yeah, I don't see them making me a Mod to let me get around the Flood Protection though, although that would be awesome, I definitly have enough free time to be on here enough to be one :lol: and yes fastesttruck it does suck having to stop having a good time because you have exceeded a limit:(
yamum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 yamum2
Member since 2007 • 5879 Posts
yer i think if u r a certain level u should be alble to do more posts a day
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 double_decker
yer i think if u r a certain level u should be alble to do more posts a dayyamum2
I hope they do something, it's not very practical the way it is now, so I hope they do something to improve it somehow. They are really busy though, so it will probably be a while if we are lucky for anything to be changed with it:)
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Yeah, I don't see them making me a Mod to let me get around the Flood Protection though, although that would be awesome, I definitly have enough free time to be on here enough to be one :lol: and yes fastesttruck it does suck having to stop having a good time because you have exceeded a limit:(double_decker
well being a mod wouldn't let you get around it anyway really...it would give you more stuff to do that doesn't involve posting so you'd be less likely to reach the limit, but it'd still be there...
yer i think if u r a certain level u should be alble to do more posts a dayyamum2
that's what GFAQs does :|:?
I hope they do something, it's not very practical the way it is now, so I hope they do something to improve it somehow. They are really busy though, so it will probably be a while if we are lucky for anything to be changed with it:)double_decker
yer they're busy fixing stuff likes glitches mainly atm it seems lol
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
I don't think any of us have posted 300 posts to see if it applies to us or not. I'm guessing that it does.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fastesttruck
as much as I hate GameFaqs and many of there users, I do think that their Posting way is much better and we should have it set up like they do.
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 double_decker
as much as I hate GameFaqs and many of there users, I do think that their Posting way is much better and we should have it set up like they do.fastesttruck
What about thier posting do you like better specifically?
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
I don't think any of us have posted 300 posts to see if it applies to us or not. I'm guessing that it does.MAILER_DAEMON
not surprised there..just about every rule applies to mods as well tho..only the admins can really bypass them...and it's rather rare that they'd have to bypass them anyway...especially in the case of something like this...
[QUOTE="fastesttruck"]as much as I hate GameFaqs and many of there users, I do think that their Posting way is much better and we should have it set up like they do.double_decker
What about thier posting do you like better specifically?

err, yer same question...there's not really anything at all related to posting that i prefer on GFAQs, tho their methods do prevent new members from spamming lots at least....
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
I seriously doubt any staff has time to post 300 times a day. Probably take me a few months to reach 300 posts.
Teivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Teivan
Member since 2005 • 1967 Posts
That's a good idea. I'll bring it up and see what I can do for you all.
ulillillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 ulillillia
Member since 2006 • 685 Posts
I think levels 1 through 4 should cap out at about 100 posts per day (about a week), 5 through 9 at 250 (about a month), and 10 and above at 500.  Let's see, doing some basic 5th-grade arithmatic, 500 posts per day means one post every 172.8 seconds for a full 24 hours, or just under 3 minutes between posts.  This is just an average.  I don't see any reason for going beyond 500.  I, myself, could fare just fine with 100, but when helping others or having long, active conversations about something, 300 does seem a bit low.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fastesttruck
I seriously doubt any staff has time to post 300 times a day. Probably take me a few months to reach 300 posts.Dracula68
I make 300 in 2 or 3 days a lot of the time :| On GF when you start you can only make one topic and 10 posts. after 2 days of being on the site you can post more and more and moer till they jsut do away with your posting limits b/c you have so much Karma.
Teivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Teivan
[QUOTE="yamum2"]yer i think if u r a certain level u should be alble to do more posts a dayTeivan

Got the okay on this. The change is in QA. We'll let you know when it goes live.
zackattack784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 zackattack784
Member since 2003 • 4291 Posts
I personally thing 300 post limit is fair enough each day.Thorpe89
yea, if you even have time to post 300 a day, im sure some of those arent worthwhile posts. id rather gamespot spend their time fixing some of the numerous bugs than changing the post limits.
blackleech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blackleech
Member since 2004 • 15348 Posts
Sounds good... it's been irritating me the 300 posts per day limit... but more often it's the 100 posts per thread thingy...
krunkmastax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 krunkmastax
Member since 2004 • 36027 Posts
[QUOTE="Teivan"][QUOTE="yamum2"]yer i think if u r a certain level u should be alble to do more posts a dayTeivan

Got the okay on this. The change is in QA. We'll let you know when it goes live.

Whats QA?
Ankaara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Ankaara
Member since 2002 • 2396 Posts
Perhaps you should put more thought into your posts... as in, say everything you really want to say the first time around, instead of lots of little meaningless posts. I can't stand Roll Calls because they all end up with short little banters that are less than 10 words each. That kind of chatter should be carried on only in pm's. You either need to have fewer, more meaningful posts, or you need to step away from the computer for a while.
krunkmastax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 krunkmastax
Perhaps you should put more thought into your posts... as in, say everything you really want to say the first time around, instead of lots of little meaningless posts. I can't stand Roll Calls because they all end up with short little banters that are less than 10 words each. That kind of chatter should be carried on only in pm's. You either need to have fewer, more meaningful posts, or you need to step away from the computer for a while. Ankaara
Whoa kinda harsh there aren't you?
krunkmastax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 krunkmastax
Besides Ankaara Roll Calls are a place where the forum users are meant to chat with each other which means yeah less than 10 word posts. However spam is not allowed and anything thats just 1 2 or even 3 words is deleted. ACTUAL DISUSSION is encouraged...not meaningless spam. And trust me Roll Calls used to be alot worse when they were first implemented.
Teivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Teivan
Whats QA?KrunkMastaX
Quality Assurance
krunkmastax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 krunkmastax
[QUOTE="KrunkMastaX"]Whats QA?Teivan
Quality Assurance

Oh thank you Teivan. :)
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Got the okay on this. The change is in QA. We'll let you know when it goes live.Teivan
well that's good
I think levels 1 through 4 should cap out at about 100 posts per day (about a week), 5 through 9 at 250 (about a month), and 10 and above at 500.  Let's see, doing some basic 5th-grade arithmatic, 500 posts per day means one post every 172.8 seconds for a full 24 hours, or just under 3 minutes between posts.  This is just an average.  I don't see any reason for going beyond 500.  I, myself, could fare just fine with 100, but when helping others or having long, active conversations about something, 300 does seem a bit low.
ulillillia
i think the lvl requirements should probably be a little higher than those but that's sounds quite good...not that i'll ever reach any of the limits anymore anyway lol
A2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 A2D
Member since 2005 • 4658 Posts
300 a day? How many of those are quality posts, that's a huge amount to me...
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
I used to be really active posting a couple of hundred a day...I remember some post cap a long time ago but that might have been GameFAQ's limiting n00bs to like 10 posts a day or something dumb :lol: It was a long time ago.

I have no chance of hitting the 300 posts a day limit...I'm not that active anymore, I probably post around 20 times a day.
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
[QUOTE="Teivan"][QUOTE="yamum2"]yer i think if u r a certain level u should be alble to do more posts a dayTeivan

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen an enhancement get a response and 'ok' as quick as this one did. Good to see that Gamespot is kicking in the gears.
Teivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Teivan
Wow. I don't think I've ever seen an enhancement get a response and 'ok' as quick as this one did. Good to see that Gamespot is kicking in the gears.OhhSnap50893
It only took about 5 minutes to program so it was easy to slip into the queue. Its live as of 2 minutes ago btw.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
specifically what changes were made btw?
Teivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Teivan
specifically what changes were made btw?robbristow
hehe. Good Q.
If you are a paid subscriber (Plus or Total Access) or >= Level 25, there is no daily limit.
If you are >= Level 10, the limits are increased to 200 msgs per day per topic and a total of 600 msgs for the day.
If you are < Level 10, the old limits of 100/300 respectively still apply.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
[QUOTE="robbristow"]specifically what changes were made btw?Teivan
hehe. Good Q.
If you are a paid subscriber (Plus or Total Access) or >= Level 25, there is no daily limit.
If you are >= Level 10, the limits are increased to 200 msgs per day per topic and a total of 600 msgs for the day.
If you are < Level 10, the old limits of 100/300 respectively still apply.

that sounds great, thanks
Avatar image for michelle_moraes
michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#39 michelle_moraes
Member since 2005 • 4198 Posts
[QUOTE="Thorpe89"]I personally thing 300 post limit is fair enough each day.zackattack784
yea, if you even have time to post 300 a day, im sure some of those arent worthwhile posts. id rather gamespot spend their time fixing some of the numerous bugs than changing the post limits.

I second you Zack! There are so many little bugs that are worthy trying to fix....
hoop_hard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 hoop_hard
Member since 2005 • 20418 Posts
I never even heard of this Flood Protection rule, maybe cause It never happened to me before. But its nice to know since i am greater than 25 that i don't have to worry about it. :)
blackleech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blackleech
Member since 2004 • 15348 Posts
Ah great change :) Thanks Teivan :D
funkadelichika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 funkadelichika
Member since 2006 • 8904 Posts
I have never had the issue of hitting the cap of posts but it is good to know that it probably wont be an issue for me now.
Viennoiserie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Viennoiserie
Member since 2007 • 2205 Posts
[QUOTE="robbristow"]specifically what changes were made btw?Teivan
hehe. Good Q.
If you are a paid subscriber (Plus or Total Access) or above or Level 25, there is no daily limit.
If you are above or Level 10, the limits are increased to 200 msgs per day per topic and a total of 600 msgs for the day.
If you are under Level 10, the old limits of 100/300 respectively still apply.

Great news. :) I don't feel a thing though since I haven't encountered the old limits either...
Rossdaboss777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Rossdaboss777
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts
Yea i totally agree i mean im a level 23 i should be able to post all day!
krunkmastax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 krunkmastax
Sweet. Thanx for the update.