Your most disappointing game purchase....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Prophylactixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Prophylactixx
Member since 2010 • 130 Posts

Remember this topic is simply about 'your' opinion on a specific title that you felt really let you down, please refrain from starting a flame war on others opinions.

Like the title states. What is your most disappointing purchase in recent memory where you felt all of the hype, expectations, anticipation of a specific title completely underwhelmed you and left a bad taste in your mouth?

Avatar image for SoftAsBaboonAss
SoftAsBaboonAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 SoftAsBaboonAss
Member since 2007 • 565 Posts

Deadly Premonition.....

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
Star Trek Legacy. The ships look awesome. They are perfectly modeled and to scale with each other. It's cool to see how small the old 60's Enterprise is compared to the big Enterprise-E from the movies. They had the voices of all of the Star Trek captains. It looked like the game would be awesome but...It was weak. The actual space battles weren't that bad. Controlling a small fleet of 4 ships and spreading them around the maps was cool. But the maps were incredibly small. The planets and other anomalies in space were cartoonishly not to scale. Space wasn't black, but rather rainbow colored with different nebulas. Ships didn't crash into each other but rather bounced off each other. And the campaign was a huge disappointment. It was to take place over the span of all the series. But probably more than 25% of the missions took place during the Capt. Archer Enterprise era. Pre-original series (Captian Kirk) in the timeline. That show wasn't too bad but they spend so many missions with that era and only ONE mission with the Enterprise-D from The Next Generation. What a rip off. I wanted more missions with Captain Picard and Captain Kirk. There was multiplayer, but that was a joke. I ended up spending more time just looking at the ships rather than actually playing the game.
rattleheadxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rattleheadxyz
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

Blacksite Area 51. What a complete mess of a game.

Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts
hour of victory and lost planet
XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 1

#6 XCyberForceX
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts

Command and Conquer 2.

Patrickbrown56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Patrickbrown56
Member since 2010 • 892 Posts

Super Street Fighter IV. It's rated as one of the top fighting games that's out right now, but I just didn't enjoy it. I don't think it's casual friendly, and when it comes to fighting games, I definitely consider myself to be a casual fighter. On top of that, the over the top steroid-induced art design just wasn't my cup of tea.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I look up much info before purchasing a game but the most disappointing was L4D2, still fun though.
65mustangryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 65mustangryan
Member since 2010 • 86 Posts

Tony Hawk: Ride. Technically it was given to me, I didn't buy it. Very disappointing.

sambo2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 sambo2011
Member since 2006 • 411 Posts

the club

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

Super Street Fighter IV. It's rated as one of the top fighting games that's out right now, but I just didn't enjoy it. I don't think it's casual friendly, and when it comes to fighting games, I definitely consider myself to be a casual fighter. On top of that, the over the top steroid-induced art design just wasn't my cup of tea.

Patrickbrown56

I kindof agree, though I do enjoy it a bit, I got the original street fighter IV for only$20, so I don't regret buying it. But it's definitly not casual friendly, so it took me a while to even be able to launch any super attacks, lol. And i get killed whenever I attempt online... lol. It's still a little fun though. I love the art style though, but yeah some people look a bit too muscular it just looks plain wierd.

Overal, I don't think there are any games I regret buying for the 360.

sharkbiscuit79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sharkbiscuit79
Member since 2009 • 1142 Posts

Black Ops

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
LOST: Via Domus I'm one of the suckers that paid $60 for that...:(
dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

Halo Reach... No really.

Zune_HD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zune_HD
Member since 2010 • 1144 Posts

Fallout NV. Buggy POS.

jjivey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 jjivey
Member since 2010 • 1354 Posts

Well i usually don't step into the trap if a game rates low, but as a big time rpg fan i picked up Nier. BONK! That game is bad, It had potential but the problems just destroy it. Thank goodness i only paid $15 for it.

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts
Star Trek Legacy. DJ_Magneto
My complaints with that game was the stale emotionless voice acting. Hearing all of their voices were fantastic, but without actually seeing them and just hearing in the same fashion of a narrator it felt bland. Then the game was very slow. It felt like the space version of Chromehounds. And while only four ships was fine I would have liked there to possibly be more. I would love to see a sequel with better visuals, more emotional voice acting, faster movement (not faster battles because that would be insane to control), and more ships to control at one time. That and maybe a story I care about. But onto the topic. My most disappointing game purchase is for the PC and it was FarCry 2. I spent a good 20+ hours in the editor, but only about 3 actually playing the game. For the Xbox 360 it is either Battlefield 1943 or The Last Remnant (Yes I was less disappointed with Perfect Dark Zero...). Battlefield 1943 was just so lacking compared to actual Battlefield 1942. This isn't really a complaint about the lack of maps, but more so because of the 3 classes and lack of controllable vehicles. I thought the carriers were moveable in 1942 (or there were atleast some others boats I could shoot out of). I could be mistaken, but I just found it to be not as fun as Battlefield 1942. The Last Remnant is a very fun game and the battle system is interesting, but I hate how there is essentially no leveling and how the game kind of levels with you. I am to a point now in the game were I have pretty much decided I just do not want to continue. I could suffer to finish it or actually beat it just to say I did.
SonicX_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SonicX_89
Member since 2008 • 573 Posts

Recently, Green Day: Rock Band. I bought when it was first released. It's a good game, but It didn't hold my interest for too long.

Prophylactixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Prophylactixx

rattleheadxyz

WOW, that game was so horrible I completely forgot about it, solid choice. I remember all the hype surrounding it for months, then some complete pile of elephant sized dung appeared on my screen!

Prophylactixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Prophylactixx

Oh, I completely forgot to post my title >.> ...anyways I'm sure most will agree with me on this when I say C&C 4 was the biggest failure to ever come out of the storied franchise. I for one felt completely betrayed by EA (almost as if i had taken it personally) to find out that they were scrapping the dev team behind the franchise, not only did they decide to get rid of the team, they did it half-way through the process of the damn game! Really EA, REALLY? I really thought the idea behind the new style of play might be good for various reasons, but none of these seemed to pan out in-game. It was really one of the saddest ways to end such a great series that spanned so many years and generations. Thats my pick.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#21 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

i would say Alan Wake and Aliens VS Predator.

jjivey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 jjivey
Member since 2010 • 1354 Posts

EvilSelf

AvP i can agree with that, but come on Alan Wake? That game was the best.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#23 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

[QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

jjivey

AvP i can agree with that, but come on Alan Wake? That game was the best.

The problem was that i am a huge psychological thriller fan. I have read so many of Stephen Kings's books and my favorite show of all times is Twin Peaks. So you can only imagine the excitement and how much i was hyped up for Alan Wake when it was first announced. I bought it on release day, story was not really unique to me (As i said i have read similar Stephen King books)...I like the atmosphere a lot, which was very Twin Peaks-like...But i finished the game once and while started my second playthrough i kind of could not continue. It was not worth a second playthrough to me, i dont know. I understand why people liked it, i guess i over-hyped it too much.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#24 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
Terminator Salvation or Dead Rising. I wanted to return them after about 15 minutes of playing them.
MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

alone in the dark if you could think of a bug it had it a broken game all the way:roll:

Avatar image for brownstephen259
brownstephen259

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 brownstephen259
Member since 2010 • 268 Posts

Arcania Gothic 4 was my most disappointing game and it sucks i dont known why i waisted money on this game i though it would be good but for as rpg it sucks

imperial_agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 imperial_agent
Member since 2006 • 2195 Posts

Alone in the Dark. that was is REALLy bad. It didn't deserve the 6.5 it got in GS. More like 2.5. Game is utter garbage.

Bomberman Arcade. yeah it was only $10, but still, it wasn't ANY different than Bomberman Live that came out 3 years ago. It was the exact same game but with different costumes. Stupid. Why did I waste my money on that? ...ugh...

Oniresurrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28 Oniresurrect
Member since 2003 • 968 Posts

Alan Wake,

Wanted a horror/suspense game ended up with a Stephen King paint by numbers.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Army of Two: The 40th Day- I loved Army of Two, it was the best game I had played in years; the co op focused gameplay, the weapon customization, the conspiracy storyline, the banter and genuine comraderie between the heroes. It was great. The came the 40th day. I was thrilled- my new favorite game(who's fate was in question due to undeniably lackluster sales) was getting a sequel! I drooled over the videos of the new weapon customization menu, I was awed by the terror-stricken Shanghai, I was intrigued by the moral choices, and I was excited by the new 4-player Extraction mode. I was a tad suspicious of the lack of voice acting in the earliest trailers, but I put that down to production schedules. Then the fateful day in January. The voice actors had been canned- instead of Realistic Tough Guy and Realistic Smartass Mercenary, they morphed the main characters into caricatures- Big Dumb Guy With A Deep Voice and Money Grubbing Weasel. The Extraction mode had been touted as Four players fighting together to get to the extraction point. It ended up being 4 players fight ten waves of bad guys in four different maps, equaling 40 waves which takes about an hour and a half, with no real payoff for surviving. The moral choices(in most cases) ended badly either way. The customization menu, while adding new ways to customize your weapons, actually provided less options than the first game did. Not to mention changing the interface around to that it is almost unintelligible. The game did have high points, but they were executed few and far between and didn't really help pull the game from the slump in which it had dug itself.
TrapMuzik92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TrapMuzik92
Member since 2009 • 3424 Posts
Prototype...i got it for 5 bucks on gamefly, next day threw it in the garbage literally. Wish I bought a footlong from subway instead.
RedReckoning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RedReckoning
Member since 2009 • 638 Posts

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.

NoDzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NoDzombie
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts

Final Fantasy 13, im a huge Final Fantasy fan, have put over 100 hours into pretty much every other game in the series, so was super psyked for FF13, ordered the collectors edition, took it home put in the game and gave up after around 5 hours, i just hated it, have tried over and over since then to play the game but never get more than an hour or so in at a time before i am sick of it and give up, really wanted to love the game but just couldnt......and now they are making a sequel

rattleheadxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rattleheadxyz
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

Prototype...i got it for 5 bucks on gamefly, next day threw it in the garbage literally. Wish I bought a footlong from subway instead.TrapMuzik92

Really? Who does this? If you don't like the game, that's one thing, but you could have easily given it to someone who may have enjoyed it. Putting it in the trash is just a complete waste, even if you only paid $5.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I cant really think of any on the 360 I bought and then didnt like. But Shenmue on dreamcast I think still bugs me I waited and waited for it bought it the day it came out and when I played it was bored to tears. I think it scared me and it was the first game that came to mind as a disapointment.
ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
Blue Dragon, it was interesting for a few minutes and then just became incredibly boring!
elcriz000NG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 elcriz000NG
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Mine was alone in the dark. it's terrible
colejd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 colejd
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts

Legendary, that game was terrible. Its the only game I've regretted buying.

Brawl55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Brawl55
Member since 2007 • 1223 Posts

Need For Speed Shift.

javafriek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 javafriek
Member since 2008 • 752 Posts
Modern warfare 2 and farcry 2. I almost bought Alan wake but dodged a bullet there.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
Is Alan Wake really that bad? I have heard nothing but good things about it till now. I was thinking of getting it sometimes too...
jarvis008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 jarvis008
Member since 2008 • 518 Posts

It's close between Far Cry 2 and Fable III but I think Far Cry 2 just takes it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#42 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

I was going to say MW2 but there were some good times with my friends on that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef287a6cdc35
deactivated-5ef287a6cdc35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5ef287a6cdc35
Member since 2004 • 537 Posts

Splatterhouse...ugh

xLFTMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 xLFTMx
Member since 2010 • 987 Posts

Is Alan Wake really that bad? I have heard nothing but good things about it till now. I was thinking of getting it sometimes too...AutoPilotOn

I thought it was a great game.

Honestly, probably Lost Odyssey. It wasn't a bad game, but the worst I've paid for. It started off great. I'm a big RPG guy and was excited about the game, but it was just insanely slow and just boring, especially around the end of disc 2 and the begging of disc 3. Never finished it because I would get bored and quit before getting to a save point.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
[QUOTE="Prophylactixx"]

[QUOTE="rattleheadxyz"]

WOW, that game was so horrible I completely forgot about it, solid choice. I remember all the hype surrounding it for months, then some complete pile of elephant sized dung appeared on my screen!

I actually loved that game, but that is just me :P. But yeah, from the very first demo (not the later ones) in around March of that year, it did seem like quite a bit of a different game on release. For me though, it's probably Need For Speed ProStreet.
gamingboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gamingboss
Member since 2010 • 170 Posts

Naughty Bear. I thought it would be an amazing fighting game, and it ended up being the most piece of junk Ive ever played.

ChaosAmigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ChaosAmigo
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Sonic the Hedgehog 06 And it's not one of those games where die-hard fans love it and newcomers hate it (or vice versa). It was generally a bad game, regardless of story and graphics (great graphics btw). The fact that the first level was filled with glitches showed little effort was put into the gameplay department. And loading times, oh god. Let me explain it to you: You walk up to someone in order to start a mission -Loading (30sec) The person explains what to do in about 2 sentences -Loading (30sec) If you fail, it loads for another 30sec and you go back to the beginning If you win there's another 30 sec loading screen.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#48 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

soft has the picture of the first title in the series i will have to mention perfect dark zero ! it looked better on paper! ( probably from a scrapped version) but any way it was supposed to have- all game modes from the original

all weapons from the original -we only see less then half with about 4 new weapons-

dont remember the map count but it was more then what was put in the final product

there was supposed to be a cheat menu like the original

there was also supposed to be the same customizations as the original and more characters but instead we ended up with a whole different version i found all this out by detstar.net which dont exist no more the game was supposed to be released on the xbox at the time

demonkillerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#49 demonkillerx
Member since 2008 • 90 Posts

Deadly Premonition. The biggest slap in the face to survival horror gamers like myself and it's the biggest rip-off of Slient Hill and Resident Evil. Silent Hill 4 is better than Deadly Premonition.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts
Is Alan Wake really that bad? I have heard nothing but good things about it till now. I was thinking of getting it sometimes too...AutoPilotOn
Its great i just picked it up today lol