Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 craige4u
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts

Hello,

I am new to Xbox and want to use the Xbox Wireless Controller on my Win 10 PC and like to ask... what care I have to take while purchasing it ?

Is there different types of wireless controller for Xbox S and Xbox X ?

I also understand there was some update by Microsoft to controllers, so how to make sure it is the latest revision ?

Also, will I get Rumbles & vibration on most games ?

Need all your assistance guys :-)

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

There's no difference in controllers except for early base Xbone controllers they didn't have Bluetooth. I don't think you can even buy them anymore without Bluetooth. You can either use Bluetooth or usb cable for Windows 10. You don't really need to update controllers. You will get rumbles & vibration on most games especially anything AAA.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I went to Best Buy and they had Xbox One controllers specifically for PC. If you're uncertain whether the controller will work with your PC, I'd go that route since it comes with this USB receiver for wireless play.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

@Ovirew: if your pc has Bluetooth on it I hightly suggest you use the Bluetooth over the wireless dongle. But do what Ovirew said and get the one that comes with the dongle so you can use it in whatever device you want.

craige4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By craige4u

Okay Npiet1 above said there is one one type of wireless controller and others are talking about connectivity only - I have Bluetooth Mobo :-)

So, now is there actually 2 varities of controllers - Xbox One & One S ?

See this Amazon link, and as per Titles thay are different !

https://www.amazon.in/Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Bluetooth-Black/dp/B06X92RN9D/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1543509425&sr=8-4&keywords=xbox+wireless+controller

https://www.amazon.in/Microsoft-Xbox-one-Controller-Wireless/dp/B06XW19RGY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543509509&sr=8-2&keywords=xbox+one+s+wireless+controller

craige4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 craige4u

BUMP !

Monkey_Seeker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Monkey_Seeker
Member since 2014 • 59 Posts

There is the original Xbox One controller and there is the updated revised controller that came with the Xbox One S. The revised controller has bluetooth and a headphone jack (so no more adapters required). The X uses the same controller that the S came with. There are just the two types of controller (excluding the elite).

Visually the way to tell them apart is to look at where the Xbox button is in the centre. In this picture the original controller is at the top and the revised "Xbox One S" controller is at the bottom. Note how on the original controller it is part of the black plastic where the bumpers are but on the newer controller it is part of the controller face itself.

Both of the links you provided linked to the newer controller, however the first link did confuse the issue by having a picture of the older controller as the first picture - if his description is accurate and it has the 3.5mm jack for headsets/headphones then it is the newer controller.

It depends on how you wish to use the controller as to whether it's best to buy the wireless adapter or use bluetooth. If you want to use headsets/headphones via the controller's jack then you'll need the wireless adapter as headsets are not supported via bluetooth and only one controller at a time is supported. With the wireless adapter you can connect multiple controllers and use headsets.

I'm not 100% if this is still the case but trigger rumble doesn't work over bluetooth though the normal rumble does. With the wireless adapter or cable it works fine.

So with all that said my recommendation would be to get the adapter rather than using bluetooth but as I said it depends on what you want.

Edit* - Also yes I realise this is a month old post but it's worth answering if others have the same question.

craige4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 craige4u

@monkey_seeker: Finally a Educated guy talking proper technology stuff ! So mate, I dig in and bought the controller already and yes its the newer iteration.

I have gone with Bluetooth one as its simple to connect to PC and I don't use headsets, as I am too happy with my Bose 5.1 setup :)
Also, I can confirm that all trigger rumbles work over Bluetooth as well.

PS: Thanks a lot for fantastic explanation with illustrations. Hopefully somebody in the future will benefit from this post.

Monkey_Seeker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#9 Monkey_Seeker
Member since 2014 • 59 Posts

@craige4u said:

@monkey_seeker: Finally a Educated guy talking proper technology stuff ! So mate, I dig in and bought the controller already and yes its the newer iteration.

I have gone with Bluetooth one as its simple to connect to PC and I don't use headsets, as I am too happy with my Bose 5.1 setup :)

Also, I can confirm that all trigger rumbles work over Bluetooth as well.

PS: Thanks a lot for fantastic explanation with illustrations. Hopefully somebody in the future will benefit from this post.

Ah ok they must have fixed that then. I did wonder whether it was a bluetooth limitation (like with the no audio or one controller paired at a time) or was just a driver or firmware issue.