EC1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 EC1986
Member since 2020 • 2 Posts

Just throwing it out there, do you want Xbox to support VR? Microsoft to design it's own or support htc/oculous? The series x is certainly powerful enough.

Personally, id love it, perhaps support existing hardware like oculous quest 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@ec1986: No, VR is a fad/gimmick.

Or at best it will stay niche, it will never be main stream, and MS shouldn't be wasting money making a VR headset.

I'm not a fan of VR, so "if" MS were to do something its best bet is to allow Xbox Series X support another companies device and not make their own.

Sergio_Pires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sergio_Pires
Member since 2022 • 39 Posts

I bought the HTC Vive a few years ago. Though I don't use it all of the time, it does still get some use from time to time.

Though I have a number of games for the system, I bought it specifically for Beat Saber. For me, it was totally worth it.

I expect that the Xbox Series X would be powerful enough to run VR but it takes more than just GPU to make for a good VR experience. In addition to a good headset, you'll want something that can effectively track your position and movement.

The Vive, Oculus, and other legitimate VR platforms are great for creating a virtual experience that effectively takes you to a different reality. The PlayStation version of that does not because it would be bad for business. Not enough console gamers are willing to shell out the cash needed to create that experience. I would imagine that Xbox would run into the same performance constraints if they were to attempt a legitimate VR platform on a budget.

Sergio_Pires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sergio_Pires
Member since 2022 • 39 Posts

Over time and as the supply chain issues get resolved, MS might be able to produce something worth buying. I just think that it would be smarter on their end to ensure that they produce something with real quality that doesn't cost over $500 for the VR.

On that note, I've not yet seen the new Oculus in action. I have a brother whose family has has one but I haven't heard anything with regards to feedback on how well it does. Note that Oculus costs $300 and $400 depending on which model you get.