Xbox 360 S, is 4 GB enough?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

surfNC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 surfNC
Member since 2011 • 51 Posts

I want an Xbox, but I will only get the new "S" model because of the built in WiFi and no RRoD. I will only use it for the games I buy, and Netflix. No downloadable content, demos, or anyhting of the sort. I have the cash to go buy a 4 gig now, but should I wait and save another hundred for a 250 gig?

darktoothxo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 darktoothxo
Member since 2003 • 97 Posts

Yea the 4 GB xbox 360 slim will be plenty for you with the terms you specify plus can always buy the 250GB harddrive later.

PS EDIT: Plus the Xbox Live Cloud storage of 512MB if you start to run out of space but of course only if you have Xbox Live Gold.

surfNC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 surfNC
Sweet, thanks
SonicX_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SonicX_89
Member since 2008 • 573 Posts

The 4GB Slim will be just fine for you. You can always use flash drives or micro SDcards if you ever find the need to expand your storage as well.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

If it wasn't it wouldn't be on sale.

driftingsilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 driftingsilvia
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

It'll be fine, however...... Playing from the disc drive isn't the best idea. It's always best to put each game on your hard drive. With the 4gb model, you won't be able to do that.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#8 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
If you can, the 250GB model is a better user experience in almost every possible way, as you don't have to worry about extending your space with usb drives and you're free to install a bunch of your disc based games, allowing you to play in absolute silence. The 4GB model will work for you in that you'll be able to play games on it, but if you ever decide you want to do anything more with it, you'll wish you spent the extra.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

Personally, I bought a 20gb hard drive on ebay for about 20 dollars and plugged it right into my xbox. Before that, the sound made by the disc spinning was unbearable. Since I bought the hard drive, it's almost silent. I'm only able to install one or two big games (like Forza 4) at a time, so I sometimes need to erase the install files to install a new game. The 40gb were significantly more expensive, so I wouldn't recommend that. You can also buy 2 20gb hard drives and switch between them.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

[QUOTE="surfNC"]I will only use it for the games I buy, and Netflix. No downloadable content, demos, or anyhting of the sort. white_sox
Then yes. You can add two 16 gb USB sticks too if you ever need to.

This. ^^

SnowWolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SnowWolve
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
youll be fine with the 4gb as long as you dont do any downloadable content
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bloodling

youll be fine with the 4gb as long as you dont do any downloadable contentSnowWolve

I remember seeing a lot of comments like these when I got the xbox, thinking the sound wouldn't be so bad when playing from the disc. After trying it, I quickly realized how wrong I was. The noise it makes is overwhelming. You can barely hear the sound from the game you're playing unless it's tremendously loud. Somes games, like Viva Pinata, are playable from the disc without too much noise, but a lot of games are nearly unplayable.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I think you should wait and get a larger HDD because you'll regret it later on, but if you can upgrade it in the future I guess it is passable.

surfNC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 surfNC

[QUOTE="SnowWolve"]youll be fine with the 4gb as long as you dont do any downloadable contentbloodling

I remember seeing a lot of comments like these when I got the xbox, thinking the sound wouldn't be so bad when playing from the disc. After trying it, I quickly realized how wrong I was. The noise it makes is overwhelming. You can barely hear the sound from the game you're playing unless it's tremendously loud. Somes games, like Viva Pinata, are playable from the disc without too much noise, but a lot of games are nearly unplayable.

Even with the "S" models? My friend always plays from the disc on his elite, and I never hear anything.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="SnowWolve"]youll be fine with the 4gb as long as you dont do any downloadable contentsurfNC

Even with the "S" models? My friend always plays from the disc on his elite, and I never hear anything.

Yes, it's an S model. I guess it depends on the game, some games need to run faster, especially in certain crowded areas. The hard drive will always be more silent though, and for me it's absolutely worth it.

surfNC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 surfNC

[QUOTE="surfNC"][QUOTE="bloodling"]

bloodling

Yes, it's an S model. I guess it depends on the game, some games need to run faster, especially in certain crowded areas. The hard drive will always be more silent though, and for me it's absolutely worth it.

Huh....well I guess I just give it a shot, I can always buy a 320 gig HDD on eBay for like 50 bucks :/
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bloodling

Huh....well I guess I just give it a shot, I can always buy a 320 gig HDD on eBay for like 50 bucks :/surfNC

320gb is way too much imo, 120 or 250 is more than enough. Prices seem much better than they used to be.

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts
4 GB is fine if you don't download any DLC or install games.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

lol i just find it funny that u never own a xbox but u want "S" because of wifi for internet but say u never download no dlc, xbla games, demos, install games for better performance. Most places offer $50 gift cards when u get the 4gb. take the gift card and other 50 and u can buy hd. I am juust saying i couldn't live with 4gbs. i hadf 20gb back in 07 and i hated it i was always deleteing stuff and even redownloading same stuff i had to delete. then ig a 60gb hd and i found my self cleaning house every couple months. Then my 07 xbox died so i picked up a S a year ago. i havn't deleted nothing yet because of space issues.

thats the legit way but you can always take the gift card sell on ebay then take that money buy hd off ebay

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 k2theswiss

If it wasn't it wouldn't be on sale.

tjricardo089
no lol. when xbox came out. Microsoft wanted people buy the harddriveLESS xbox so they go home and go out in a week to buy hard drive for even more money. lame ms HDs was running like 140-150 for a lame 20gb or so. while if u got like the 20gb it would only cost 100 more. so M$ was banking off more money.
surfNC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 surfNC

lol i just find it funny that u never own a xbox but u want "S" because of wifi for internet but say u never download no dlc, xbla games, demos, install games for better performance. Most places offer $50 gift cards when u get the 4gb. take the gift card and other 50 and u can buy hd. I am juust saying i couldn't live with 4gbs. i hadf 20gb back in 07 and i hated it i was always deleteing stuff and even redownloading same stuff i had to delete. then ig a 60gb hd and i found my self cleaning house every couple months. Then my 07 xbox died so i picked up a S a year ago. i havn't deleted nothing yet because of space issues.

thats the legit way but you can always take the gift card sell on ebay then take that money buy hd off ebay

k2theswiss

well heres what i was planning to do, any DLCs i get ill just save on a flash drive (i would do that any way even with a 250 gig in case the xbox crashes for whatever reason), and i dont want to spend extra cash on a wireless adapter when i could have one built in. and i dont really care about installing games on my harddrive, ive played my friends 4gig and no problems, he even said there was no problems and he was playing from the disc drive. it wasnt unbearably loud like some people say. the only thing i ever plan on downloading on the harddrive is software updates, and how often do those come around? oh, and does gamestop do the $50 gift card thing? cause i would rather start off buying a game or two versus a harddrive. (also this dont matter NEARLY as much but the matte finish of the 4 gig will be much less of a fingerprint magnet than the 250 gig gloss) Oh, and does signing up for xbox live gold take up any space?

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#22 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
If you intend on downloading game or dlc you really should get a hard drive.
surfNC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 surfNC

If you intend on downloading game or dlc you really should get a hard drive.vashkey

whats wrong with putting it on a flash drive? that seems like the smarter thing to do, cus then if the xbox crashes for whatever reason i still have all my dlc stuff and i dont have to download it again when i get a new xbox

HadronVulture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HadronVulture
Member since 2012 • 198 Posts
The 4 GB is the perfect fit for you.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bloodling

there was no problems and he was playing from the disc drive. it wasnt unbearably loud like some people say.

surfNC

All I said is that in some games, the disc doesn't always spin at the same speed and the noise made it nearly unplayable for me. Some games don't have this problem at all, but it's still more noisy than if it's installed. If you don't plan on playing many different games, you can try playing them without a hard drive and see if the noise level is acceptable.

Edit: The loading times are also shorter, of course.

surfNC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 surfNC

[QUOTE="surfNC"]

there was no problems and he was playing from the disc drive. it wasnt unbearably loud like some people say.

bloodling

All I said is that in some games, the disc doesn't always spin at the same speed and the noise made it nearly unplayable for me. Some games don't have this problem at all, but it's still more noisy than if it's installed. If you don't plan on playing many different games, you can try playing them without a hard drive and see if the noise level is acceptable.

Edit: The loading times are also shorter, of course.

Ohhhh ok, i gotcha
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 k2theswiss

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

surfNC

well heres what i was planning to do, any DLCs i get ill just save on a flash drive (i would do that any way even with a 250 gig in case the xbox crashes for whatever reason), and i dont want to spend extra cash on a wireless adapter when i could have one built in. and i dont really care about installing games on my harddrive, ive played my friends 4gig and no problems, he even said there was no problems and he was playing from the disc drive. it wasnt unbearably loud like some people say. the only thing i ever plan on downloading on the harddrive is software updates, and how often do those come around? oh, and does gamestop do the $50 gift card thing? cause i would rather start off buying a game or two versus a harddrive. (also this dont matter NEARLY as much but the matte finish of the 4 gig will be much less of a fingerprint magnet than the 250 gig gloss) Oh, and does signing up for xbox live gold take up any space?

the loudness was issue with the fats. When i said install games for better performance i meant less pop ins and less loading screens. i don't play many games no more but one game i truly can tell. is halo reach in mp. when map switches people maps load twice has fast. there is a list of every game loading screen times and everything on website. u can goggle it because idk the url. YA you may say hey few secs don't hurt well when you play games couple hrs every day and sit there infront of t.v looking at a black screen for 10 secs every 5-10 mins does not equal fun. the gift card thing usually don't happen at gamestop because they pretty much bas at deals lol. u just gotta look around like walmart k mart. amazon. ect ect. I think i heard microsoft said while back they was switching the 250 to the matt finish to. i could be wrong.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#28 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

[QUOTE="vashkey"]If you intend on downloading game or dlc you really should get a hard drive.surfNC

whats wrong with putting it on a flash drive? that seems like the smarter thing to do, cus then if the xbox crashes for whatever reason i still have all my dlc stuff and i dont have to download it again when i get a new xbox

I think the 360 imposes a limit on how much you can store on flash drives.
hkymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 hkymike
Member since 2003 • 2425 Posts
Go for a slim
ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ebrezzy1
Member since 2012 • 1427 Posts

just get it n play the games you'll be fine why does everyone need saves from games you beat n you can always replay it if you need

Avatar image for deactivated-5d10fd97c5249
deactivated-5d10fd97c5249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 deactivated-5d10fd97c5249
Member since 2006 • 68 Posts
Don't make the same mistake I did, thinking that the internal 4GB is enough for everything, but then not realizing that that precludes me from A LOT of other features....take for example in NBA 2K12, they don't show you highlights or replays.
GamesRing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GamesRing
Member since 2012 • 67 Posts

yes,it is enought but,u can still buy a hard drive later

driftingsilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 driftingsilvia
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

He's not going to listen to us, so just get what you want. Just don't complain later when your disc drive makes your system break down from over use. That's the real reason to install games. The longer your disc drive spins, the faster the system goes and the hotter it gets.

surfNC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 surfNC
ok guys, thanks for all of your opinions. i think i just found a great deal, i will buy the 4 gig (just cus its cheaper and the matte finish), and i found a new 320 gig harddrive on ebay for 20 bucks, so ill have a 320 gig xbox for $220
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

To start off with a game or 2 yes the 4GB flash memory will do. Then you can add a 250GB or 320GB HDD later, or use thumbdrives up to two 16GB for 32GB total.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#36 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
ok guys, thanks for all of your opinions. i think i just found a great deal, i will buy the 4 gig (just cus its cheaper and the matte finish), and i found a new 320 gig harddrive on ebay for 20 bucks, so ill have a 320 gig xbox for $220surfNC
I have no experience with ebay drives, but at that price you're probably getting a Chinese knockoff. That's not necessarily a bad thing (I know some people have used smaller capacity ones from a few years back) but just something to be aware of.
3dfd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#37 3dfd
Member since 2008 • 767 Posts

NO. DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE I DID WHICH WAS BUYING A 4GB SYSTEM

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bloodling

NO. DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE I DID WHICH WAS BUYING A 4GB SYSTEM

3dfd

Uhm... you can always buy a hard drive... I really don't understand the point of your post.

mangor14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mangor14
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

16 gig flash will do the trick, MS promised quieter systems when launching the slim and did not deliver, as simple as that.

Eternal-Entity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#40 Eternal-Entity
Member since 2008 • 1371 Posts

Buy the Slim now with the 4 GB, try it out, if you need more space, save another $150 for 320 GB Internal Harddrive with a free game (Star Wars III) with super easy game play and achievements and a lot of fun and re-playability.

Gaming4You1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gaming4You1990
Member since 2012 • 150 Posts
For me the first Xbox was more than enough with Hard drive space. Anyhow, you will be able to hold well over 100 games data, probably around 200, and this is just a guess tho I'd assume you can hold way MORE.
Eternal-Entity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#42 Eternal-Entity
Member since 2008 • 1371 Posts

For me the first Xbox was more than enough with Hard drive space. Anyhow, you will be able to hold well over 100 games data, probably around 200, and this is just a guess tho I'd assume you can hold way MORE.Gaming4You1990

But he cannot hold installed games... so he will be missing out on a feature that is actually "useful." If he installs a game, and for whatever reason he scratches it up, he will not need to buy a new game, his scratched up disk will still work fine.

surfNC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 surfNC
Been forever since ive posted here, but got another question, is 20 gig enough?
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#44 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

4 GB isn't enough if you want to install your games and buy games On Demand.

SavageKantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SavageKantus
Member since 2011 • 84 Posts
If you wanna play Battlefield 3, then no.
soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

nooo. Memory is to small

surfNC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 surfNC

nooo. Memory is to small

soapman72
even 20gig?
surfNC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 surfNC

4 GB isn't enough if you want to install your games and buy games On Demand.

MathMattS
what about 20gig, cus yeah 4gig i can see now is pointless
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#49 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

20 gig is pretty small, too. Considering that most of your installed and on-demand games will be between 5 and 20 gigs. I would definitely go with 250 gig.

BzForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BzForza
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I just got the 250 system, it's better with the HDD.