xbox 360 controllers are cheap pieces of junk

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Premise: this is not a troll thread, I love my xbox and its controller, I'm just complaining about how poorly controllers are built

I got my xbox 360 at the start of 2009 and I was really happy with the controller that came with, for about a year and a half, when the sticks became so worn out it's really hard to press the stick down (i.e.: to sprint in shooters) and it's difficult to keep the character still, since the sticks jam to the side. Fair enough I said, I played the hell out my xbox in the first year (including a lot of CoD, which kills analog sticks), so I went out and bought a new xbox 360 slim controller (the black ones ones with the silver center button)... which was flawed: right out of the box the right direction on the d-pad didn't work properly. I took it back to the store and they replaced it with another one... wich was also flawed: fresh out of the box, the right analog stick slightly jams to the side, which is very annoying since your character often keeps turning right. The store said they couldn't replace it a second time, so long story short I had to keep it. I used it for a while, then I decided to pick up a special edition controller, the one with the transforming d-pad... which is ALSO flawed: fresh out of the box the left analog stick jams to the side, so your character keeps strafing right...

I'm so pissed. Why does microsoft produce such awfully built controllers? Why are my original xbox controllers (which were already used when I got them) still perfectly fine after 10 years? I sunk almost a hundred bucks buying these two flawed piece of crap xbox 360 controllers!

The only thing I can think of now is to open up both controllers, salvage the working analog stick from one of them and put in the other controller. And, no, I won't bother sending them to microsoft, I'm sure they'd dismiss it as a minor flaw and send them back unchanged.

Anyone had the same problem?

Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
Nah Bro its just you...I mean ive tossed my 360 controller at ametal radiator across my room and it just left a little indent.... I dropped my ps3 controller on the floor and it cracked...Believe me 360 controllers a slightly better. As for the buttons...i have my ps3 triggers stick for no reason and have to pry them out so its not just the your controller.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The Xbox 360 controllers are the best controllers this generation. I never broken one. You just got unlucky? They are the best for First person Shooters. How can you break your controller just by playing a Call of Duty game.

The D pad is not the greatest. Ever since the Xbox 360 launched back in 2005. worst D pad this generation. You could always try a "MADcatz" controller

-Wicked_Sick-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Wicked_Sick-
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my controllers.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Mine is almost 3 years old and the sticks are worn out. The bottoms are cracked from throwing it. It still works just like new though!(not really)
DumbPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DumbPanda
Member since 2011 • 379 Posts

The only bad thing about the controllers in m opinion is the D Pad. But they are sturday - I drop mine all the time and they never break - I guess you were just unlucky

mrsniper83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#7 mrsniper83
Member since 2009 • 1552 Posts
I have never had a problem with an xbox controller, on the other hand i have broken 2 ps3 controllers cause they are made of cheap plastic.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Black_Knight_00
Ok, everyone: we are not discussing durability, I don't drop my controllers and I don't throw them at the wall. We are discussing the cheap components, like analog sticks and d-pads
-Wicked_Sick-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Wicked_Sick-
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
Ok, everyone: we are not discussing durability, I don't drop my controllers and I don't throw them at the wall. We are discussing the cheap components, like analog sticks and d-padsBlack_Knight_00
I still haven't had those problems.
DumbPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DumbPanda
Member since 2011 • 379 Posts

Ok, everyone: we are not discussing durability, I don't drop my controllers and I don't throw them at the wall. We are discussing the cheap components, like analog sticks and d-padsBlack_Knight_00

The D Pads aren't too good but the analog sticks are fine and I've never had any problems with them.

Shut-Your-Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shut-Your-Face
Member since 2011 • 208 Posts
I've owned the same controller ever since the 360 was released and I've never had any problems with it. Plus, it hooks up to my PC. Gotta love that!
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts
Maybe try getting a controller from amazn or a different store.
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
You've been awfully unlucky mate. The 3 controllers I've had since I bought my 360 have all been awesome. The only complaint I have is that after a while if you play them like I do, the little dots on the analogue sticks get worn out so it has less of a grip with your thumbs but even that hasn't been too bad. The battery life is decent (not to mention I have a charge dock so I never run out) and overall I think the way they feel in your hand is pretty much perfect. I don't like the way the PS3 controller feels (not to mention it's way too light) and I think the Wii-mote is ridiculous at best. The 360 controller is definitely the best one this gen.
sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

Premise: this is not a troll thread, I love my xbox and its controller, I'm just complaining about how poorly controllers are built

I got my xbox 360 at the start of 2009 and I was really happy with the controller that came with, for about a year and a half, when the sticks became so worn out it's really hard to press the stick down (i.e.: to sprint in shooters) and it's difficult to keep the character still, since the sticks jam to the side. Fair enough I said, I played the hell out my xbox in the first year (including a lot of CoD, which kills analog sticks), so I went out and bought a new xbox 360 slim controller (the black ones ones with the silver center button)... which was flawed: right out of the box the right direction on the d-pad didn't work properly. I took it back to the store and they replaced it with another one... wich was also flawed: fresh out of the box, the right analog stick slightly jams to the side, which is very annoying since your character often keeps turning right. The store said they couldn't replace it a second time, so long story short I had to keep it. I used it for a while, then I decided to pick up a special edition controller, the one with the transforming d-pad... which is ALSO flawed: fresh out of the box the left analog stick jams to the side, so your character keeps strafing right...

I'm so pissed. Why does microsoft produce such awfully built controllers? Why are my original xbox controllers (which were already used when I got them) still perfectly fine after 10 years? I sunk almost a hundred bucks buying these two flawed piece of crap xbox 360 controllers!

The only thing I can think of now is to open up both controllers, salvage the working analog stick from one of them and put in the other controller. And, no, I won't bother sending them to microsoft, I'm sure they'd dismiss it as a minor flaw and send them back unchanged.

I've had 3 original 360s and now a Slim and never had a single controller break on me yet
cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

I hear ya! It was hella dissapointing. My 360 controller that came with my slim had your "stuck to left/right" issue only a month into its life cycle. A couple days later the pressing in the left analog stick got screwed up as well. I couldn't aim properly in BO because of the stuck to left and i couldn't use run becuase i couldn't click the left analog button to sprint. i bought a new controller and now i'm hella scared its going to break. 3 months in so far so good.

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#16 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts
every single controller I've own, and I've owned a lot, the components like the analog sticks have worn out. Not only the grip but the sticks would become loose over time. I have the latest new re-designed controller and it's pretty awesome.
speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Got 3 controllers using only one for myself since 2008, Don't have any problems only the right stick turns a bit to the right (only have this with cod 4,5,6,7 serious)

Think you are just unlucky in buying controllers :P.

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

Yeah the newer remotes are crap, my launch remote is still ticking. (talking an '05 remote) And don't get me started on the Red remotes, complete ****!Everyone I know with a red remote already broke it. First red remote I purchased I had to return casue it wouldn't take a charge.

Plus I've been through3 battery packs, (won't keep a charge)and I haven't known anyone's PS remote (nor mine)internal battery to have gone bad. So...
Thing is after time they learn to make everything faster and cheaper.
Next remotewill bewired...

Vadamee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vadamee
Member since 2009 • 1195 Posts
I've abused mine to the point of no return and it still works fine. They are more reliable than the old trident N64 controllers that I had and those are not even close to being as high-tech.
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
My analogue sticks have become a bit worn out but they still work perfectly fine.
Rhino53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rhino53
Member since 2008 • 2552 Posts

The only problem I really ever had with the controllers was the left analog stick sticking in the up position, but that's from playing a lot of CoD and other FPS' where you click down to sprint.

myrepose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 myrepose
Member since 2010 • 105 Posts

Nah... It's just you, I have never had an Xbox360 controller fail on me since launch day!

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I've owned a 360 since '07 and still use those controllers on a frequent basis. My newest controllers were from the MW2 console bundle and they work fine. I have 6 in all and not one of them has a single flaw besides one's bumper which is difficult to press, but only because I spilled a drink on it by accident. I also tend to drop my controller on the floor a lot by accident, from about desk height, still nothing.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#24 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

yeah i agree. I have 2 wireless and 1 wired controller. My wired 360 controller is the best quality. the other 2 work, but have buttons that stick or the d-pad hits the side some. nothing major though, they still work. I just wish M$ would have included rechargable batteries. the fact that they run on AAs OR you have to pay EXTRA for a low quality rechargable battery is just a joke.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

I haven't had any such problems with my controllers. I like the Xbox360 controllers, they feel pretty sturdy. The only problem I've ever had was with third party controllers which is to be expected.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

I have two controllers that i've had since the 360's launch, both work perfectly and both have had a ton of use. The only issue with them at all is that the d-pad stinks but then again that's the way they were designed.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#27 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Unlucky, I guess. I currently have five 360 controllers and they all work fine - I'm even using the original one from my launch 360 on my PC through a wireless dongle. The nubs have worn off the analog sticks and they're a tiny bit loose, but other than that it's great.

The newer ones still feel more or less new.

edit - and I play a **bleep**-ton of my 360, so it's not as if a lack of use is leaving my controllers sparkling.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts
I can't agree. 360 controllers are built like a tank, I abuse the hell out of them for years, never had any of them wear out.
Dal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dal25
Member since 2007 • 170 Posts

perhaps, your controller hate you , try pass it on your friend and see how it goes .

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

I've got a 3 year old controller, never broke. I've only once dropped it, no probs.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#31 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts
The Xbox 360 controllers are probably the best controllers that I have ever used.I have been playing games since 1979 with the old Atari 2600/Gemini console.
usermikey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 usermikey
Member since 2008 • 506 Posts

I have had the problem for both controllers more so for one of my PS3 controllers where the analog sticks, but the only solution to that is has firm control over movement of the stick so you never let it stick, "your in control" ... But yeah my friend's D-Pad stuck for a while.

Avatar image for 19elderscroll86
19elderscroll86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 19elderscroll86
Member since 2011 • 751 Posts

I have had my controller since launch, and have put over 70 games on it, and it has no problems, but my friend has had his ps3 controller since launch, one year later, and it is almost unusable, with maybe 30 games played on it, and he takes better care of it than I do mine.

ElectricEchoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 ElectricEchoes
Member since 2010 • 204 Posts

I've never had any problems with mine. Only downfall is the D-pad on the controller.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
It happens to all analog sticks after heavy use over time.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

I've had 3 controllers for 4 years. On one the right stick doesn't work correctly (happened pretty quickly actually, like a year after I got the console) but I haven't had any problems with the other 2 controllers.

theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 theSteeeeels
Member since 2011 • 520 Posts
im with the op ive gone through numerous xbox controllers all the problems from the dpad or analogue sticks funny how they break easily and yet my ps2 controllers have been through hell for 10years and are fine. same goes for the console too i guess!
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Ya, 360 controllers blow. Both of my controllers have messed up left bumpers which makes playing Halo: Reach and RDR a pain.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Black_Knight_00
Let me stress the fact that 3 out of 4 controllers were malfunctioning right out of the box, brand new
Doktoraegra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Doktoraegra
Member since 2010 • 183 Posts

I recognize this. Mine lasted almost 4 years though. Still sick prices to buy a new one, could buy 2-4 discount games for the same price. It was a real pain playing though when the stick had to be correctly aligned for your character to not run away and get killed (playing Sacred 2 which does not have a pause function) and if you got out of the sofa too fast, game over, or well, restart in town. Cost me 400sek to buy me a new one, I think that's like 60 dollars or something.. ridiculous. Anyay, it went fine for 1-2 weeks, since then the Y button is 'stuck'. If you haven't pressed it in like 30 minutes you have to press it really hard so it'll loosen. Thought something was stuck in there at first, but it's cleaned as good as can get and it's been the same now for 6 months+. The movement stick is also starting to get bad already.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Been through 5 360's but never had a controller fail.
DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DavidianMH
Member since 2011 • 1458 Posts
I've had both of my controllers going on nearly 3 years now and I've had no problems with them.
Avatar image for WA_Achievements
WA_Achievements

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 WA_Achievements
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Dude, don't listen to these guys.. it's not just you. It's thousands of people all over North America. A few shipments of Xbox 360 Black Wireless Controllers came in from China. Yes, CHINA. And some crates were damaged in the shipping. Walmart, Futureshop, Best Buy etc. all get the same shipment of Controllers. The reason they are poorly made is so that Microsoft can make money. The reason your Xbox Original Controller is probably still working, is because you might have that Controller made by a Company called "Hip Gear". Hip Gear was an amazing company back in the day of Xbox Original Days and Halo: Combat Evolved Days. They made the best Xbox Controllers to date. I still have mine, and it's last 11 Years, and has actually been thrown around the room!! Not cracked, nothing. Perfectly fine. Now, microsoft shut them down and the company no longer exists. Walmart - Langley, British Columbia, Canada: I bought a Black Wireless Controller from that store, and at the store, i asked them if i could see if theres been any damage to it. They told me "Oh, it's fine, it's brand new.". So i told them i'm not buying it if i can't see it. So we opened it, and sure enough.. the D-PAD is broken and is pushed in on the left side. It makes a loud clicking noise when you press on it. So again, we try 3 other controllers, and the same thing happens. Best Buy - Langley, British Columbia, Canada: Same thing here at Best Buy, but only with the Black Wireless Controllers. The Black Wireless REFURBISHED Controllers seemed to be fine for some reason. Also, the new Silver ones at that Store were perfectly fine too. Walmart did not have any of those in stock. Well, end of my story, **** you Microsoft, and make some go damn better controllers!!!!
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
The Xbox 360 is probably my 5th consoles and by far the best, most durable controllers by far.
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

man u people treat ur stuff like crap, i still use the controller that came with my 360 4 years ago.

wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts

man u people treat ur stuff like crap, i still use the controller that came with my 360 4 years ago.

BlackDevil99
100% agree with ya there. I've heard a lot of people mention that they have dropped/thrown controllers. This is common sense, if you throw your controller at the wall, chances are you'll break it. I've had the same controller for a long time and aside from the analogue sticks' grip being a little worn down they've lasted me.
Avatar image for pokemondude2012
pokemondude2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pokemondude2012
Member since 2010 • 5938 Posts

Black_Knight_00

I have had this problom with the first controller that came with my elite. and now my halo reach controller is starting to do it. I agree with you 100% but i still love my 360.

PixelAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PixelAddict
Member since 2008 • 2237 Posts

Doesn't work after CoD, you say? I think your controller(s) were the victim of some rage quit smashing, maybe?

Seriously, though, these controllers are tanks and fantastic all around. You had some bad luck.

Only criticism I can come up with is the D-pad could be better, I suppose The only problem i ever had was having to replace a rechargeable battery pack 2 years ago. Opted to just use the rechargeable AA's I have on hand for other electronics, and no problems since. Best controller of this generation by miles.

Warablo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Warablo13
Member since 2009 • 1289 Posts
I have a Razer Onza controller, and I have to say it is very poorly built.. I mean the A button now presses twice when I only push it once from playing gears too much... Xbox controllers are built well compared to third party controllers.